HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-2012 CIS Recruits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
  #276
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Know nothing about the UNB team and its top 6 skaters. Don't know the Salituro player that well but he was good enough to play NCAA hockey. Do not know why he left Robert Morris but he ended up playing for the best JR A team in the country. He had good point production at both levels. He'll probably do just fine at the CIS level.

The CIS has many CHL players that were ginders at Major Jr and grinders at the CIS level as well. There are many Tier II JR A players that evolve into better players than there counterparts from the CHL.

2009-10 Robert Morris University CHA 25 8 7 15 2
2010-11 Pembroke Lumber Kings CCHL 25 13 28 41 10
It isn't CHL snobbery, it's Squirrel snobbery. They see the Junior A leagues as inferior to Major Junior no matter why the player was in Junior A. Funny because the Junior A players have always been big parts of Squirrel teams but they look at them as the exception, not the rule.

Come on Mike, $ from UNB?? I think not, no $ there.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
  #277
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Unb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
This Salituro guy UNB has supposedly recruited kind of intrigues me...5'9'' according to hockeydb.com and didn't play any CHL hockey. I know UNB has had good success in the past with guys who didn't play major junior (MacIntosh/Campbell/Perry had limited time in the WHL) but I wonder how he is going to fit in among the forwards...hard for me to believe he is going to get much ice time this season.

Also, that is 6 forwards listed (provided they all show up)...I can't imagine them carrying anymore players than they did this past season so I figure at the very least there are 6 spots to be filled. We know Tremblay/Bailey/Hepditch/Layton/MacIntosh won't be back....who else?
Seymour is done!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:26 AM
  #278
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
I also believe their is a good chance Luke Lynes is not returning, I have only heard that through word of mouth not officialy, but at the same time I heard the same thing last year

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
  #279
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Seymour is done!
Interesting...I thought he had one more year of law?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
  #280
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
I've said before that every CIS team should make sure they have some Junior A players and not get caught up trying to go all CHL recruitment. More often than not, as has already been pointed out, they embrace the 'role player' jobs on the team. If you are going to have depth on your team, someone has to sit in the stands some nights. Often that falls on Junior A recruits more so than the CHL 'studs'. I believe you want some guys on your team who have something to prove, and instead of moaning about that AHL contract they didn't get, they go out every shift and battle for more ice time ( just like Darryl Boyce does with the Leafs).

I've also said before, a team like Alberta could probably use some Junior A players to add an edge to a skilled squad that showed in Fredericton that they can be pushed off the puck and didn't really intimidate or wear down opposing defencemen.

There are lots of reasons some players chose Junior A over Major Junior. Often it is because they want to keep their eligibility open in hopes for an NCAA scholarship. If that player is so keen on becoming a student-athlete, and doesn't get the NCAA full-ride, don't you think he would make a highly motivated CIS recruit?

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
  #281
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Interesting...I thought he had one more year of law?
He has a year left, but felt it would be to much to balance law and hockey.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
  #282
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Seymour will no doubt be there if they need him, just like Pearce last year and Chiarello in past. He has a year left and if recruits fall through due to pro contracts or injuries decimate the team, I expect he will step into lineup.

VRedsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:24 PM
  #283
mikeandI
Registered User
 
mikeandI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
I'll speculate you are 2 fer 5 with that list! But missing a few key names.
looks like maybe 1 fer 5!

Wudrick has signed a pro contact with the Rosenheim Star Bulls of the German second league.

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
  #284
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I've said before that every CIS team should make sure they have some Junior A players and not get caught up trying to go all CHL recruitment. More often than not, as has already been pointed out, they embrace the 'role player' jobs on the team. If you are going to have depth on your team, someone has to sit in the stands some nights. Often that falls on Junior A recruits more so than the CHL 'studs'. I believe you want some guys on your team who have something to prove, and instead of moaning about that AHL contract they didn't get, they go out every shift and battle for more ice time ( just like Darryl Boyce does with the Leafs).

I've also said before, a team like Alberta could probably use some Junior A players to add an edge to a skilled squad that showed in Fredericton that they can be pushed off the puck and didn't really intimidate or wear down opposing defencemen.

There are lots of reasons some players chose Junior A over Major Junior. Often it is because they want to keep their eligibility open in hopes for an NCAA scholarship. If that player is so keen on becoming a student-athlete, and doesn't get the NCAA full-ride, don't you think he would make a highly motivated CIS recruit?
First, I do not believe that Junior "A" grads are more likely than Major Junior grads to be role players or grinders.

Second, one must judge the recruit and not the league from which he graduated. I have numerous posts in the past which detail the quality Junior "A" grads recruited by the Bisons. Those include most recent captains and assistants (e.g. Rick Wood, Calin Wild, Kip Workman) and goaltender Steve Christie.

That said, my initial reaction is always positive when I hear that they have secured commitments from Major Junior grads.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
  #285
Ched
Fueled by Passion
 
Ched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Chad
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
UNB might be in a bit of trouble putting all their eggs in the high-end Major Junior basket. With Wiebe and Wudrick signing pro contracts and all, not sure Wiebe was ever intent on going to UNB in the first place. Rumour has it that the University of Manitoba was first on his list of schools.

Alberta may be in the same boat as the V-Reds. Hickmott may play pro and there has been still no announcement from them even though we are now only about a month away from training camp. in fact, the recent posting on the Bears website could be read by some as a bit of desperation on the part of Stan Marple. the Golden Bears are hosting an open tryout and inviting anyone who played at least Midget AAA to come on out and try to play for the U of A.

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Teams/B...entryouts.aspx

desperation, a bit of good will or buying some time until their recruits commit? or all of the above? it will be interesting to see what shakes down.

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
  #286
Ched
Fueled by Passion
 
Ched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Chad
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Th Rest of the Dub

WHL David Toews - Brandon
WHL Misha Fisenko - Calgary
WHL Jeff Einhorn - Chilliwack
WHL Lucas Gore - Chilliwack
WHL Mike Piluso - Edmonton
WHL Adrian Van de Mosselaer - Edmonton
WHL Clayton Cumiskey - Everett
WHL Parker Stanfield - Everett
WHL Chad Suer - Everett
WHL Zak Stebner - Kelowna
WHL Kevin King - Kootenay
WHL Steele Boomer - Kootenay
WHL Mitch Maxwell - Lethbridge
WHL Thomas Carr - Medicine Hat
WHL Dylan Hood - Moose Jaw
WHL Spencer Edwards - Moose Jaw
WHL Tayler Jordan - Portland
WHL Nathan Deck - Prince Albert
WHL Jordan Rowley - Prince Albert
WHL James Dobrowolski - Prince George
WHL Colin Reddin - Regina
WHL Shayne Neigum - Regina


According to FOTVR's list these are the only WHLers who have not at least been rumoured to be going somewhere. Anybody have any updates on these fellows?

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
  #287
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
looks like maybe 1 fer 5!

Wudrick has signed a pro contact with the Rosenheim Star Bulls of the German second league.
Yep

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2011...-overseas.html

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:23 PM
  #288
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet....Thomas Kiriakou, who has been better than a point per game player the past two seasons for Guelph, has signed with Las Vegas of the ECHL. That's going to be a big hole to fill for the Gryphons.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4254088

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
  #289
Fan of the Vreds
Registered User
 
Fan of the Vreds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
WHL David Toews - Brandon
WHL Misha Fisenko - Calgary
WHL Jeff Einhorn - Chilliwack
WHL Lucas Gore - Chilliwack
WHL Mike Piluso - Edmonton
WHL Adrian Van de Mosselaer - Edmonton
WHL Clayton Cumiskey - Everett
WHL Parker Stanfield - Everett
WHL Chad Suer - Everett
WHL Zak Stebner - Kelowna
WHL Kevin King - Kootenay
WHL Steele Boomer - Kootenay
WHL Mitch Maxwell - Lethbridge
WHL Thomas Carr - Medicine Hat
WHL Dylan Hood - Moose Jaw
WHL Spencer Edwards - Moose Jaw
WHL Tayler Jordan - Portland
WHL Nathan Deck - Prince Albert
WHL Jordan Rowley - Prince Albert
WHL James Dobrowolski - Prince George
WHL Colin Reddin - Regina
WHL Shayne Neigum - Regina


According to FOTVR's list these are the only WHLers who have not at least been rumoured to be going somewhere. Anybody have any updates on these fellows?
Kevin King - Kootenay signed with the Syracuse Crunch (AHL)

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
  #290
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet....Thomas Kiriakou, who has been better than a point per game player the past two seasons for Guelph, has signed with Las Vegas of the ECHL. That's going to be a big hole to fill for the Gryphons.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4254088
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk85vzBWZ3M

Huge loss for the Gryphons. Kiriakou was likely the best centre in the OUA West other than Matt Caria last year (Chris Ray, JM Rizk and Kevin Baker could be argued as well) as he was Guelph's biggest offensive threat and their best penalty killer.

I saw an interview with him where he talked about coming to Guelph. He orginally came when a pro deal fell through (I am assuming an AHL deal since the above video mentions he was recruited for Las Vegas ECHL two years ago). He had a very solid junior career, being one of the best players on the 67's, and scoring more than a point per game in his overage year.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
  #291
Bob Stauffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
Re:CHED's list

Hey Fan of VReds.

Three of the players you have listed as non-affiliated have committed to Alberta.
Expect a release within a week.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
  #292
mikeandI
Registered User
 
mikeandI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
Hey Fan of VReds.

Three of the players you have listed as non-affiliated have committed to Alberta.
Expect a release within a week.
they goin' to open camp Robert?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
  #293
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
UNB might be in a bit of trouble putting all their eggs in the high-end Major Junior basket.
Yeah, it is a bit of a gamble. It has worked out well for them recently though. We will have to wait another month or so to see how it turned out this year.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
  #294
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
looks like maybe 1 fer 5!

Wudrick has signed a pro contact with the Rosenheim Star Bulls of the German second league.
Hey who said Wudrick was one of the two . I'll stand by 2 fer 5 and see how it goes This all goes to show the perils of recruiting - what you assume you have you may not have. They are only 20 years old, there is no binding contracts.....

VRedsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  #295
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
First, I do not believe that Junior "A" grads are more likely than Major Junior grads to be role players or grinders.
Well perhaps you should look at AUS rosters more closely then. There are few top-6 forwards or top-4 defencemen who did not play Major Junior. The Junior A guys are the exception, not the rule.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
  #296
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
UNB might be in a bit of trouble putting all their eggs in the high-end Major Junior basket. With Wiebe and Wudrick signing pro contracts and all, not sure Wiebe was ever intent on going to UNB in the first place. Rumour has it that the University of Manitoba was first on his list of schools.

Alberta may be in the same boat as the V-Reds. Hickmott may play pro and there has been still no announcement from them even though we are now only about a month away from training camp. in fact, the recent posting on the Bears website could be read by some as a bit of desperation on the part of Stan Marple. the Golden Bears are hosting an open tryout and inviting anyone who played at least Midget AAA to come on out and try to play for the U of A.

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Teams/B...entryouts.aspx

desperation, a bit of good will or buying some time until their recruits commit? or all of the above? it will be interesting to see what shakes down.
I don't know if you're serious or not, but it's standard procedure to have open tryouts for campus students. The students have to have the chance of making the team, open tryouts are standard procedure...

Every year we get 4-5 kids who walk into training camp thinking that since they play senior hockey or 'A' level men's league they can just jump in and follow... yeah right. Last walk-on I remember playing for us was Ken Therrien who played 5 games in '05-'06 and 13 in '07-'08 and he was definitely the expception and not the norm, most of the guys who show are gone after the first practice, if they even last til the end of it.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
  #297
Island Husky
Registered User
 
Island Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kensington PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Then we used to get probably 300 letters from kids all across Canada, introducing themselves, they had played high school mostly, quite a few in private schools, but not exactly Notre Dame, the occassional Jr B, and alot of midget AA and less. Midget AAA in those days was the elite ( Before Major Midget although some places may have had AAAA) and their paths were pretty much set into Junior. We did not receive letters from the local high school kids, but they came out in droves. If nothing else, it was free ice time for them. I did not know any that thought they could jump right in, certainly not after they played their first scrimmage anyway. It was left to me to cut many of them, and they were pretty humble by this time. It is a SOP though not all do it anymore. And it was good for a little pre season animosity via the intra squad game at the end of the open camp.( And to fill out the teams ) So basically some high school grad could get a month's free ice time, twice a week plus dryland training on the weekends against some pretty good competition, putting them in good standing for a junior tryout. This was also the era in which the coach could not step on the ice before Oct 01 or something like that. With that rule extinct, coaches can start immediately with who they want, thus eliminating all that free scrimmaging.
It isn't like the coach doesn't know exactly who is coming that he is interested in. (i.e. The Chris Stanley to Dal story..I just don't buy it)

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
  #298
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Well perhaps you should look at AUS rosters more closely then. There are few top-6 forwards or top-4 defencemen who did not play Major Junior. The Junior A guys are the exception, not the rule.
I never suggested there were. I am stating that Major Junior grads can also be role players and grinders. There are numerous such examples across the CW, and probably the AUS as well.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
  #299
Tommy Dodge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Know nothing about the UNB team and its top 6 skaters. Don't know the Salituro player that well but he was good enough to play NCAA hockey. Do not know why he left Robert Morris but he ended up playing for the best JR A team in the country. He had good point production at both levels. He'll probably do just fine at the CIS level.

The CIS has many CHL players that were ginders at Major Jr and grinders at the CIS level as well. There are many Tier II JR A players that evolve into better players than there counterparts from the CHL.

2009-10 Robert Morris University CHA 25 8 7 15 2
2010-11 Pembroke Lumber Kings CCHL 25 13 28 41 10
He didn't leave Robert Morris, he was booted out for conduct unbecoming the university.DUI.
Just read the Pittsburgh police files.

Tommy Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
  #300
clear the track
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Dodge View Post
He didn't leave Robert Morris, he was booted out for conduct unbecoming the university.DUI.
Just read the Pittsburgh police files.
There you go. he'll fit in just fine in the CIS

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.