HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-2012 CIS Recruits

Old
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck passion View Post
What comes first the chicken or the egg? The chicken or the Golden Egg?
Sure, UNB is a winner now and that can't hurt in the recruiting process, but how did the Varsity Reds become champs? And when did they start winning? Oh, yes, there appears to be a direct correlation to when the UNB program started spending money to bring in high-profile recruits.
It is what it is, this money thing. And where did this all start?
Again, if you look at the CIS top 10 ranked programs, these would most likely be the 10 schools spending the most money on their programs. There are plenty of guilty parties. Pity those schools who completely follow the rules. Pity the schools who can't afford to break them. No, money isn't the only reason for choosing a particular men's hockey program but, all in all, it's probably the biggest one when it comes to potential recruits. It's a good tie-breaking tool, isn't it?
If you spend it, they will come.
The same goes for football and men's basketball, for example. (Except these players aren't double-dipping their way through CHL education scholarship funds.)
The CIS may not be that different from the NCAA, after all, except for that there's nobody policing this because poor CIS, which can't even properly market itself, doesn't have the resources to spend on policing this.

(BTW, Charlie Sheen's WINNING! formula also relies heavily on money.)

P.S. As for the case of Kyle Bailey, I can't believe that he chose UNB over Alberta because he thought he had a better chance of winning at UNB.
Find me one hockey team in the CIS (not school, because the schools don't break the rules, alumni and boosters do) that follows the rules to the letter, go prove it to me. Good luck, because there isn't a single one out there.

Douple-dipping? I don't really consider it double-dipping either since that CHL money is provided to them by the CHL and their junior teams just as long as they go to school, they don't have to play hockey to receive it.

And don't get me started on the NCAA. The NCAA has more stupidity in it than all major pro leagues combined. The damned assocation brings in billions in revenue and it balks and screams as soon as one of it's players, who bring in all the money, so much as takes a dollar from someone not called mom or dad. Gimme a break. Maybe, just maybe, the CIS prefers to go the don't ask-don't tell way because they know if they do start accusing people and stirring the pot the only thing it'll accomplish will be to worsen it's product, not exactly what you want to do when trying to market something.

You should meet up with Jack Drover, you two would get along remarkably well.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM
STUTOMMIES

The Dalhousie Tigers add Zack Firlotte for this year.

http://athletics.dal.ca/news_events/...ey_lineup.html

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Puck passion, you are bang on but when some have a holyer than thou attitude, well you get comments like ole' Fredtfoyle. He has said it best -he will defend UNB at all cost, even if the cost is belittling the other programs or conferences - then get upset because you defend you school/conference from him at all cost. Then top it off...call you the flamer.

I think the old saying is true, the rich get richer.

And FYI, it isn't just Foyle. Squirrels are Squirrels. (Don't include the hoards of band waggoners).

When does the product become like major league baseball? As a Blue Jays fan I can say that MLB is messed up, if I were a Sox's or Yank's fan, maybe not so much. Well the AUS or CIS is going in a similar direction and it won't endear itself to anyone if it takes that route. HEY LOOK, UNB is at nationals again for the 15th time in 18 years...yawn....hey the Yankees made the playoffs again. Difference?
not really sure the baseball analogy is a good one. don't believe the disparity between programs like UNB, for instance, and some of the others in the Atlantic Conference is really all that compelling relative to the under-the-table "incentives'' if you will. bottom line, I really don't think players are getting rich playing university hockey in canada.....let's face it, programs are run on bare-bone budgets in a lot of cases, there's little marketing done at the schools to the people who should matter the most, fellow students, etc..not that STUTommies point is not valid, but it's all relative. size of school, the area itself, the rink, the quality of program, some of that applies to a kid's mind-set as well..it's not just financial residuals that dictates where a player goes...in my humble opinion, at least....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
thook

seems like a slow start to the recruiting season! whats going on out there.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:13 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
seems like a slow start to the recruiting season! whats going on out there.
some playoffs havent ended yet

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:28 AM
AUS Fan

Most CIS teams have done their recruiting by now and are waiting for kids to finish playoffs, etc. This summer the recruits will make their trips to various schools where they'll be feted at the local Boston Pizza, have a look at the rink, meet some of the guys and say to the coach "Show me the money!".

This is all true except for the money part, of course.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:10 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Most CIS teams have done their recruiting by now and are waiting for kids to finish playoffs, etc. This summer the recruits will make their trips to various schools where they'll be feted at the local Boston Pizza, have a look at the rink, meet some of the guys and say to the coach "Show me the money!".

This is all true except for the money part, of course.
Lies! These kids all play for the school pride and nothing else.

Like AUS Fan said though, recruiting is at a standstill for another month or two, until the Memorial Cup has come and gone. All the teams know who they want in the various Major Junior leagues. Once the playoffs are done, the kids who know they're headed to CIS schools will shop around,commit, and then back out and commit somewhere else

Then come July or early August another bunch of guys will start to freak out seeing they haven't signed their 1-way NHL contract and start shopping around schools. And then likely end up signing 2-way AHL/ECHL contracts with their agents guaranteeing them playing in the AHL within a week or so of the start of the regular season; once that doesn't happen you'll see these guys popping up at Christmas time.

When it comes to recruiting I like Gardiners way of doing it... wait as long as you can to announce something because sooner or later you'll get burned announcing someone and then he ends up somewhere else because he liked that teams sweater colours better

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
STUTOMMIES

The Tommies have added defenceman Sebastien Bernier to the line-up for next year. He isn't eligible to play until January.

http://stutommies.com/2011/04/tommie...-for-2012.html

Old
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
gleanerguy

Congrats on activating the site again! I missed it while it was away.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:10 PM
thook

thunderwolves announce first recruit of the year. Jeff Bosch. Played his last four years in the WHL and last year started 60 games for kamloops. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=96880

other than the obvious stats, does anyone know anything about this kid?

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Fan of the Vreds

Lakehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
thunderwolves announce first recruit of the year. Jeff Bosch. Played his last four years in the WHL and last year started 60 games for kamloops. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=96880

other than the obvious stats, does anyone know anything about this kid?
You can also add defensemen Luke Maw (OJAHL - Newmarket Hurricanes) and Riley Macintosh (BCHL Coquitlam Express) to the list of Thunderwolves recruits for 2011-2012.

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Thump

UOIT Recruit

Nice pickup for the Ridgebacks. Andrew Randazzo from Drummondville. The QMJHL top defensive defenseman as the Kevin Lowe Trophy winner.

http://www.uoitridgebacks.com/news/1...28-mhockey.htm

Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Fan of the Vreds

Windsor Lancers Add Two

Forwards DJ Turner and Drew Palmer have committed to the Windsor Lancers. Both played for the LaSalle Vipers of the GOJHL.

Old
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
SnipeShow91

Per Tyler King of Kingston Frontenacs talk:

Nathan Moon, the all-time leader in @KingstonFronts games played, has committed to UPEI for the 2011-12 season: http://*******/iub5FB

Must be there to replace Cory Vitarelli in terms of throwing 2 handers behind the play. If Forbes can keep his head on straight, he will be a great player with UPEI, if Forbes cant control him like Doug Gilmour couldnt control him this past season with stupid penalties he is prone to take, not so good

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Fan of the Vreds

Junior A Players to CIS

Defenseman Pat Moran (OJHL Aurora Tigers) commits to UOIT.
Forward Troy Barss (OJHL Peterborough Stars) commits to York.
Defenseman Jason Yee (BCHL Powell River Kings) commits to UBC.

Old
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Matt Lowry a Bison

it appears that Matt Lowry, former high-scoring Brandon Wheat King who played in the ECHL and AHL in 2009-10 has committed to play with the University of Manitoba Bisons in 2011-12 after red-shirting this past year. He is a huge signing as a character player, and as a hard-working two-way forward who provides a lot of offence. He will fit in well with a talented returning group of forwards to the U of M.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13596

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
McGill has signed Hugo Laporte (Baie-Comeau) and Nicolas Therrien (Chicoutimi) for next season

no link yet though

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Dutch

Tommy Tremblay (Gatineau) is heading to UQTR.

I've also talked to Felix Lefrançois (Rimouski). He's heading to UQTR unless he gets an offer from the pros.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Some solid recruits for both teams in Quebec. Based on history most teams will start announcing their recruits over the next 2/3 weeks. This is one of my favorite times of the year. Lots of strong players still available in all three leagues.

Old
05-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Goalie Christopher Holden who played a couple of years with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles before playing for Omaha and Tri City in the USHL has committed to the Acadia Axemen.

Old
05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Poulin to Tommies

Defenseman Felix-Antoine Poulin (AJHL Spruce Grove Saints) has committed to the St. Thomas Tommies. He lead all AJHL defenseman in scoring with 61pts.

Old
05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Univeristy of Regina

Forward Troy Hunter (SJHL Estevan Bruins) and defenceman Johnathan Sonntag (SHJL Kindersley Klippers) have both committed to the University of Regina.

Old
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
Defenseman Felix-Antoine Poulin (AJHL Spruce Grove Saints) has committed to the St. Thomas Tommies. He lead all AJHL defenseman in scoring with 61pts.
http://stutommies.com/2011/05/tommie...efenceman.html

Thanks for the assist FotV. I had heard that Eagles et al. were talking to a Quebec kid that played out west but had no idea who. Question answered. Curious to know how the new coach will react/deal with the pre-recruitment of players. How and where will they fit in to his design.

Old
05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Windsor Lancers Add Pommells

Forward Spencer Pommells (AJHL - St. Albert Steel) has committed to the University of Windsor Lancers.

Old
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Football player now? Bigger than a brick sh*thouse?
Just saw tonight on the SMU Athletics site, on a Twitter, he went fourth round to BC Lions in the draft.. Pretty good, Considering I watched all of their games and never once heard about him during the game. Perhaps the sound was too low, a strong possibility,but not when I like the announcers and in this case I do. Anyway, I was going to add that very point to this discussion before I saw the Twitter comment tonight. I had heard nothing else of him this year, in any other regard. However, the Head Trainer at SMU told me last year, (after the AUS Championship in fact) that one of the best players ever to play at SMU, Devon Hicks, a linebacker with NFL experience, claimed Hodgson was a better player than "he" was at that stage. http://www.smuhuskies.ca/

Last edited by Island Husky: 05-09-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add link
Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote