HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-2012 CIS Recruits

Old
12-27-2011, 10:22 AM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Nice recruits. They would really make a difference in Lethbridge or Regina. (Even Manitoba!) It seems like they are recruiting what they already have. If they are not losing anybody and have no injuries then it may mean more press-box time for guys that got them to the nationals last year.
It is no surpise that the teams with I believe to be the most 60 point major junior guys are Saskatchewan (8) and UNB (7) (UNB does not include 43 goalscorer Geordie Wudrick who hit only 59 points) are ranked 1 and 2 in your top 34.

While Calgary possesses some top 6 guys already, this I would increase their chances I would assume. As you mention, it may push some guys into the pressbox. Calgary is likely replacing their lower end major junior guys or in between Jr. A and major junior guys with 60 point players. While other guys got them to nationals, Calgary also lost both games they played, failing to qualify for the finals. In interconference play this year, they have not fared much better, winning 1 out of 6.

Calgary now has one of the deepest forward groups to accompanying the greatest (and confusing) goalie depth in the country. Calgary has fallen short of expectations this year, but I fail to see how these 2 additions can be seen as anything but a positive move for the Dinos going into the second half.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
It is no surpise that the teams with I believe to be the most 60 point major junior guys are Saskatchewan (8) and UNB (7) (UNB does not include 43 goalscorer Geordie Wudrick who hit only 59 points) are ranked 1 and 2 in your top 34.

While Calgary possesses some top 6 guys already, this I would increase their chances I would assume. As you mention, it may push some guys into the pressbox. Calgary is likely replacing their lower end major junior guys or in between Jr. A and major junior guys with 60 point players. While other guys got them to nationals, Calgary also lost both games they played, failing to qualify for the finals. In interconference play this year, they have not fared much better, winning 1 out of 6.

Calgary now has one of the deepest forward groups to accompanying the greatest (and confusing) goalie depth in the country. Calgary has fallen short of expectations this year, but I fail to see how these 2 additions can be seen as anything but a positive move for the Dinos going into the second half.
My point is that Calgary has a chemistry issue. Much like Sask in 2009-10 and 2010-11. Maybe a big name needs pressbox time. I guess we'll find out.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
WilcoxHound

It must be a challenge for some players who followed their dreams of pro hockey in the CHL and either don't get a shot at the pros or get cut early and decide that it's time to get an education. I'm sure many can't find the motivation or discipline to bring their "A" game every night in a league that isn't their first choice. This will change as the schedule gets closer to the playoffs.

Last edited by WilcoxHound: 12-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.
WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
AUS Fan

Beer??

I don't know what CIS team you follow, but all AUS teams and I would argue most CIS teams have a 48 hour rule, where you don't drink in that time frame before a game. Guys will go out after a Saturday night game, cause they don't practice until Monday, but even during the week guys are doing school stuff, etc and aren't drinking that much.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Alberta

Brett Ferguson has left Utah of the ECHL and joined the Golden Bears.
Stan Marple had been keeping an eye on Ferguson dating back to the Vancouver Canucks' Youngstars Tournament in Penticton in September.
Ferguson had a marginal impact with Utah in 15 games, but had a strong 20 year-old season with the Red Deer Rebels last year registering 23 goals, 61 points and over 100 Pims with a +29 rating-tying him in +/- with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
After bringing aboard Levko Koper (32 goals, 82 points with Spokane last season), Jordan Hickmott (28 goals, 66 points with Edmonton last year) Kruise Reddick (74, 68 point seasons in the WHL in Tri-City) in the fall, Alberta now has 6 60+ point scorers out of the WHL and nine 50+ point guys up front.

The Bears lost captain Eric Hunter (2-6-8 in 30 games played with Lake Erie in the AHL), and All-Canadians Chad Klassen (32 points in 27 GP with Idaho in ECHL, top 10 in scoring) and Derek Ryan (38 points in 31 GP with Alba Volan, top 5 in scoring in Austrian League, and leading the League-which is made up of mostly ex-AHL'ers in goals with 21) to graduation so the forward ranks desperately needed to be re-plentished.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
My point is that Calgary has a chemistry issue. Much like Sask in 2009-10 and 2010-11. Maybe a big name needs pressbox time. I guess we'll find out.
Agreed on the chemisty from their results. You have watched them play, but as a long distance follower, they have underperformed compared to predictions and their "on paper" roster. Will be interesting if these new players contribute to that problem, or help it. Will also be interesting to see who exactly is picked out if at all. Of the "big name" 60 point guys, they sit 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 in team scoring, so their "best players are being their best players," at least on the scoresheet. But, should they be even better? Wintoneak and Jorgensen are producing at lower paces than their previous seasons. Or, is the rest of the forward group to blame, or their defence?

As a whole, the CW has an established top 4 teams, their second half will be interesting for the whole season and into the playoffs.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 12-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
Agreed on the chemisty from their results. You have watched them play, but as a long distance follower, they have underperformed compared to predictions and their "on paper" roster. Will be interesting if these new players contribute to that problem, or help it. Will also be interesting to see who exactly is picked out if at all. Of the "big name" 60 point guys, they sit 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 in team scoring, so their "best players are being their best players," at least on the scoresheet. But, should they be even better? Wintoneak and Jorgensen are producing at lower paces than their previous seasons. Or, is the rest of the forward group to blame, or their defence?

As a whole, the CW has an established top 4 teams, their second half will be interesting for the whole season and into the playoffs.
There was a "Big 4" but as of now I would have to say there is a "Big 3". UBC is very close to Calgary (18 points to 16) despite having had an underwhelming recruiting class, mostly of Junior "A" players. (They had two from major junior and ten from Junior "A".)

There is no stat which stands out for Calgary. I may have a slanted view because they have been swept twice by Manitoba. Otherwise they have swept Alberta and Sask (no mean feat), and the H0rny Ones. They also have two splits with UBC and another with Regina. Then they were swept by Lakehead, once in OT. Put it together and they are a solid 4th place team, capable of losing to #5 but also capable of beating #1. If it weren't for the 4 losses to Manitoba, and 2 more to Lakehead, we might be looking at them differently.

Old
12-29-2011, 05:16 AM
STUTOMMIES

Goaltender Andrew Hayes joins the Regina Cougars. He played previously in the WHL, QMJHL and ECHL.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/And...818/story.html

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Bob Stauffer

On top of getting Geordie Wudrick (who had 35 and 43 goal seasons in the WHL) according to "Taking Note" which is the best WHL Blog out there, the V-Reds have picked up Shayne Weibe.
Weibe scored 44 goals last season in Brandon.
Basically this means UNB has brought in the only two 40 goal scorers out of the WHL available who have gone on to the CIS.
The Rich get Richer.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:05 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
On top of getting Geordie Wudrick (who had 35 and 43 goal seasons in the WHL) according to "Taking Note" which is the best WHL Blog out there, the V-Reds have picked up Shayne Weibe.
Basically this means UNB has brought in the only two 40 goal scorers out of the WHL available who have gone on to the CIS.
The Rich get Richer.
i'll say. that guy should be in Manitoba, Brandon boy i thought we had em all convinced coming home was a good thing..
Surprised he was deleted from Newfie roser? last year the Wheaties didnt even skip a beat after the Schenn trade as this guy and Stone just continue to dominate the WHL, Schenn of course did nothing in Sask. This Wiebe is a player! real surprised we couldn't get him to come home, wow we coulda used some of those goals. why do you think he chose to stay out in the atlantic ocean? closer to a call up? yaya fred spare me the chance to win cut a paste paragraph you always add here!
this guy is a good add. hard as a rock in both ends of the ice.

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:58 PM
clear the track

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
i'll say. that guy should be in Manitoba, Brandon boy i thought we had em all convinced coming home was a good thing..
Surprised he was deleted from Newfie roser? last year the Wheaties didnt even skip a beat after the Schenn trade as this guy and Stone just continue to dominate the WHL, Schenn of course did nothing in Sask. This Wiebe is a player! real surprised we couldn't get him to come home, wow we coulda used some of those goals. why do you think he chose to stay out in the atlantic ocean? closer to a call up? yaya fred spare me the chance to win cut a paste paragraph you always add here!
this guy is a good add. hard as a rock in both ends of the ice.
UNB a very good team. They made quick work of us on the weekend. I am curious as to the number of players they carry. I was of the impression that once a roster was finalized in Sept you could not bring in new players. Obviously I was wrong. Anybody that can clarify this for me. Also if they have a set roster, how does this affect moral for the existing players that have to sit as healthies to make room for these guys.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
UNB a very good team. They made quick work of us on the weekend. I am curious as to the number of players they carry. I was of the impression that once a roster was finalized in Sept you could not bring in new players. Obviously I was wrong. Anybody that can clarify this for me. Also if they have a set roster, how does this affect moral for the existing players that have to sit as healthies to make room for these guys.
There is no "set" or final roster for hockey in the CIS. Long as the student-athlete is eligible, they can be added, anytime. Obviously the only the way you can had players midseason is if they are already a student (like the 4 backup goalies that UNB has dressed so far this season) or if they enroll for university for the second term/semester (as is the case with UNB's Geordie Wudrick).

I am not aware if there is a maximum number who can be on your roster; I do know that only 20 can be dressed for a game. I don't believe there is a maximum number of "cards" as is the case for most non-university teams, but I could be wrong. I agree that it must suck for a player to suddenly be sitting in the stands because a new guy arrives at Christmas and takes away you ice team, but top programs expect that of their players -- if you have enough depth you expect your players to work hard and battle for roster spots and ice time every day in practice.

Many coaches will talk about "chemistry issues" when it comes to adding players at Christmas, and some coaches say that because of that they won't add players. Until they have an injured player. And a stud (that you talked to over the summer) is suddenly available. Then they change their minds and cross their fingers that it will work.

Obviously you have to have the co-operation of the university's admissions people and individual faculties and programs to be able to get a kid in school at Christmas, but some are more flexible than others.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
The Rich get Richer.
Shayne Weibe was added to the UNB hockey roster today. He is a first-year Business student and will wear #23.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier Adds Former Belleville Overager

Laurier adds a recruit, and likely their only Christmas recruit in former 4 year Kitchener Ranger veteran Mike Mascioli, who played his overage and 5th year with the Belleville Bulls. Mascioli was on the roster for the Trenton Titans of the ECHL, but only saw action in the preseason and was released soon after the regular season began. Mascioli was somewhat well known in the 2008-2009 season for being suspended twice for contact with officials and once for punching John Tavares. However, he seemed to get his emotions more in check as he got older, serving as an alternate captain briefly for the Rangers and then for Belleville in his overage year.

While known for his fighting, and grinding play, Mascioli did post numbers of 16, 18 and 20 points, and his 203 OHL games are the second most major junior games of any Laurier forwards.

Given that Laurier has dressed as few as 14 skaters, and 9 forwards before, getting healthy bodies in the lineup is a must. Not to mention that 3 of their 14 forwards on the roster are walkons, it is almost always a good thing to get guys with major junior experience into the lineup. I will likely get a chance to see him play (for the first time in a Laurier jersey) on either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully he is able to add to the forecheck, and turn pucks over. He also has some OHL penalty kill experience.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 01-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old
01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
PokeCheck101

Sim and DaSilva

... Some of the reports coming out, and reading between story lines, sure seemed to indicate that DaSilva and Sim had a falling out with coaching staff. Sure seems like something sparked their departure. Why leave CIS, especially U of S at a time when things were looking okay?

Last edited by PokeCheck101: 01-04-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: addition
PokeCheck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
... Some of the reports coming out, and reading between story lines, sure seemed to indicate that DaSilva and Sim had a falling out with coaching staff. Sure seems like something sparked their departure. Why leave CIS, especially U of S at a time when things were looking okay?
Sorry, what happened?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Someone over at the Jets prospect thread asked how playing 12 games in the AHL will affect Wiebe's WHL scholarship package. I didn't know the answer...maybe someone here will. Do you forfeit the package the second you sign a pro contract...or do you have to play so many pro games/years before you lose it?

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Sorry, what happened?
Not sure but some of the articles aren't very flattering either way... Lot's of "no further comment" comments from both sides. Just seems odd, must be more to it.

PokeCheck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Someone over at the Jets prospect thread asked how playing 12 games in the AHL will affect Wiebe's WHL scholarship package. I didn't know the answer...maybe someone here will. Do you forfeit the package the second you sign a pro contract...or do you have to play so many pro games/years before you lose it?
I believe January 1 is the cut-off. Lots of players come in after Christmas after a half season of pro. But usually it is from the ECHL.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Playing pro isn't an issue, but you do have to maintain academic standing with some school (in person or online). That is the biggest challenge. It doesn't have to be much, but if you do not take a course a term somewhere, you lose your money.

I believe there is a former player in the Q trying to get is money, but he was not enrolled somewhere. His argument is/was he was traded twice and was not able to attend 'in person' courses and he didn't have access to wifi/internet for online.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I believe there is a former player in the Q trying to get is money, but he was not enrolled somewhere. His argument is/was he was traded twice and was not able to attend 'in person' courses and he didn't have access to wifi/internet for online.
Would that be the Brett Morrison issue? After the initial hearing ( and that was, what? a year and half ago, two years ago?)there was another court date scheduled, but I never, eve,r heard another thing about it, either through the grapevine or the media. Wonder how that turned out? The date was given at the time for the second hearing, and I poured through the medium looking for a report, anyway his issue if it is the same one, was entiltlement to the money after moving among so many Q teams. The Moncton guys know more about his circumstances than I do, so my opinion is pretty general. Anyway, wonder how it turned out?

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Cishockeyrecruiter
Rookie User

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticl...CLID=205357231

Ryerson confirms rumour of TJ Battani and Victor Terreri

Carleton adds Tim Billingsley

Cishockeyrecruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:18 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cishockeyrecruiter View Post
http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticl...CLID=205357231

Ryerson confirms rumour of TJ Battani and Victor Terreri

Carleton adds Tim Billingsley
Didnt notice Battani or Terreri much tonite

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
FreddtFoyle

Story in today's Chronicle-Herald has former Halifax Moosehead and minor pro Ryan Hillier enrolling at Saint Mary's this year. The forward will be eligible to play next season with three years of eligibility in total. He was drafted by the New York Rangers in the third round, 84th overall, of the 2006 NHL entry draft

Frustrated by pro hockey, Hillier heads to school

Old
01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
AUS Fan

Hillier will enroll in the MBA program.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote