HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-2012 CIS Recruits

Old
06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Fan of the Vreds

vCash: 500
Junior A Players Commit to CIS

AJHL
Forward Mike Small - Concordia
Forward Kevin Deagle - University of Toronto
Forward Brent Henke - Lethbridge

BCHL
Forward Mike Hammond - Lakehead
Forward Jason Grecica - Lakehead
Defense Steve Tresierra - Queens

SJHL
Forward Ryan Anderson - York
Forward Mark Cross - York

MJHL
Forward Tyler Moore - Queens

OJHL
Forward Tyler Liukkonen - University of Toronto
Defense Dean Willmott - Ryerson
Forward Jeff Gottzmann - University of Ottawa
Goalie Adrian Volpe - Brock

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
VincentD

Thanks for the prospect update Fan of the VReds! I didn't know that Jeff Gottzman had signed up to go to uOttawa! Actually, no coach has been named yet overthere, it's starting to be a bit concerning...I'll try to keep you updated on a few other prospect names as soon as possible!

VincentD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:30 AM
STUTOMMIES

UPEI add defencemen Spencer Metcalfe and Alex Wall.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Huge pick ups for the Panthers.

UdeM

Two already posted.
Samuel Groulx as well. Plus other Aigles news.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1413381

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
timbitca

Good pick ups for the Panthers, Metcalfe was always pretty good while in Moncton and I really liked Wall for the short time he was here.

I for one can't wait to see Christian Gaudet in an Aigles Bleus uniform, even if it's a few years later than we had hoped from the beginning!

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentD View Post
Thanks for the prospect update Fan of the VReds! I didn't know that Jeff Gottzman had signed up to go to uOttawa! Actually, no coach has been named yet overthere, it's starting to be a bit concerning...I'll try to keep you updated on a few other prospect names as soon as possible!
http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view.../commitments-2

Unlike the OHL/WHL/QMJHL sites, some of the Junior A leagues like the OJHL and BCHL seem pretty good about updating their sites regarding graduating players. I check all of the Junior A sites fairly regularly, thought VReds does a good job of keeping everyone up to date regardless.

My take on the Ottawa situation:
As far as I understand, recruiting, while it comes to a full front in the summer, is not simply a summer time activity. A lot of recruiting comes during the season, through connections of the head coach and assistant coaches. These connections who coach and are involved throughout Canada in different leagues may pass on information about specific programs/schools to curious players, as do former teammates/players. While decisions may be made somewhat late in the year, for a lot of recruits, the schools in the running are probably evident already.

Often a new coach will bring in new assistant coaches as well. I do not know the specifics of the Ottawa situation, but if this is the case, it will likely be a challenge to find new recruits since all leagues are already finished their hockey. This negates a chance to look at potential players and utilize your connections. Laurier went through such a situation last year. Up until mid summer of last year, Kelly Nobes was the head coach before departing to take the head coaching job at McGill. New coach Greg Puhalski came in near the end of the summer, long after recruiting season. However, Nobes had been in contact with players throughout the previous year, and when the season started, Laurier had 13 new players. While there were a number of walk-ons (4), there were still 7 forwards recruited who had previous Major Junior Experience, 6 returning defencemen and a returning starting goaltender. While I do not have a good knowledge of the Ottawa situation, if I had to assume, likely Leger would have had some recruiting in place, and would have had some contact with potential players such as Gottzman either directly or indirectly through connections throughout the season. Unless the new coach is coming from within, likely their recruits will not be seen until the 2012-2013 season and they will play 2011-2012 with players Leger and his staff had a hand in acquiring.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Saw Wall many times this year, he's a very good defenseman. Great pickup.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
clear the track

Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view.../commitments-2

Unlike the OHL/WHL/QMJHL sites, some of the Junior A leagues like the OJHL and BCHL seem pretty good about updating their sites regarding graduating players. I check all of the Junior A sites fairly regularly, thought VReds does a good job of keeping everyone up to date regardless.

My take on the Ottawa situation:
As far as I understand, recruiting, while it comes to a full front in the summer, is not simply a summer time activity. A lot of recruiting comes during the season, through connections of the head coach and assistant coaches. These connections who coach and are involved throughout Canada in different leagues may pass on information about specific programs/schools to curious players, as do former teammates/players. While decisions may be made somewhat late in the year, for a lot of recruits, the schools in the running are probably evident already.

Often a new coach will bring in new assistant coaches as well. I do not know the specifics of the Ottawa situation, but if this is the case, it will likely be a challenge to find new recruits since all leagues are already finished their hockey. This negates a chance to look at potential players and utilize your connections. Laurier went through such a situation last year. Up until mid summer of last year, Kelly Nobes was the head coach before departing to take the head coaching job at McGill. New coach Greg Puhalski came in near the end of the summer, long after recruiting season. However, Nobes had been in contact with players throughout the previous year, and when the season started, Laurier had 13 new players. While there were a number of walk-ons (4), there were still 7 forwards recruited who had previous Major Junior Experience, 6 returning defencemen and a returning starting goaltender. While I do not have a good knowledge of the Ottawa situation, if I had to assume, likely Leger would have had some recruiting in place, and would have had some contact with potential players such as Gottzman either directly or indirectly through connections throughout the season. Unless the new coach is coming from within, likely their recruits will not be seen until the 2012-2013 season and they will play 2011-2012 with players Leger and his staff had a hand in acquiring.
Explain to me what commits means in CIS parlance. Does committing mean you have an automatic spot on the team. Who commits to who. The Univ to the player or the player to the Univ. As their is no wriiten commit as The Leter of Intent such as they have in the States is this all just mumble jumbo. Can a player show up to camp and literally not have a place on the team?

Lets take Ottawa for example.

I have heard of the following players commiting (emphasis on heard)

Craig Moore Brampton Battilion 21yrs old
Jon Carnevale Ottawa 67's 21 yrs old
Maxim Chamberland Drummondville, St Thomas and some CHL exp 25 yrs old
Jack Walchesson Peterboro Petes 21 yrs old
Gottzman Burlington (heard of this one from this site) 20 yrs old

If all of these players show up and make the team i can see some serious cuts and or healthy scratches come game day. Ottawa would have a serious number of capable forwards

It would make Ottawa a very young team with 80 percent of their players in 1st or 2nd year

Anyone care to clarify what commit means and how it would affect the above scenario

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

UBC recruits 4 for 2011-12

UBC announced their 2011-12 recruiting class:

Steven Stanford, Saskatoon Blades, WHL G
Jason Yee, Powell River Kings, BCHL, D
Kyle Johnson, Dauphin Kings, MJHL, F
Cole Wilson, Camrose Kodiaks, AJHL, F

the big signing here is Stanford, who had a great year in Saskatoon, winning 40 games and losing only 5. with all the players UBC is losing from last year it is not apparent who else will fill some of those vacant spots.

http://gothunderbirds.ca/news/2011/6...609110930.aspx

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
VincentD

Why I'm saying that it is a bit of a concern is simply the fact that ex-uOttawa coach ang general manager Dave Leger was cleared at the end of april which is a crucial part in the finalization of the recruiting process. Unlike the situation of the 2010 Laurier Hawks, uOttawa's coach was gone before the summer started.

Nevertheless, there's obviously a few guys that chose Ottawa before the coaching change. But, I've heard a few names here and there that decided to change school after Leger was let go because that haven't had any talks for a while. This was the case with former Chicoutimi Sags Fwd Billy Lacasse who decided to join the UQTR Pats when the season was over.

@clear the track

How do you know so many names that have commited to uOttawa? I'm trying to search through any available info on the subject and I can't seem to find anything!

By the way, I've heard that Mathieu Ouellette, a forward who played in Spain last year might play for the Gee-Gees next year. This is unofficial though...

VincentD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Van de Velde going to U of Toronto

Manitoban Paul Van de Velde has committed to the U of T. He played in the WHL and finished his junior career in the MJHL with the Waywayseecappo Wolverines.

http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/index.php?o...news&Itemid=14

Old
06-10-2011, 08:28 AM
AUS Fan

Commitment

As Eddie Shack correctly pointed out, there is no LofI in the CIS as there is in NCAA.
A player can say that he is going to a certain school and then change his mind if he gets a better offer. It has happened before and will again.
The commitment may not even be that. The player might tell the school (coach) that he likes the idea of playing there, but is weighing his options. If the school posts that he has committed, it's not the players fault when he goes somewhere else.
A player is committed when he plays his first game, and not before.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Fan of the Vreds

Girman to Acadia

Forward John Girman (Grand Prairie Storm AJHL) has committed to the Acadia Axemen.

Old
06-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Fan of the Vreds

CIS Recruiting 2011 at a Glance

Here is a snapshot of the recruiting done so far in the CIS. Some of these are "rumors" so I would not be surprised to see some of these players listed end up elsewhere.. I will continue to update...

AUS

Acadia
Forwards - Alex Beaton, John Girman
Defensemen -
Goalie – Christopher Holden

UNB
Forwards – Geordie Wudrick
Defensemen -
Goalie – Dan Lacosta

SMU
Forwards - Bobby Mignardi, Matthew Tipoff, Stephen Johnston
Defensemen - Michael D'Orazio, Jamie Doornbosch
Goalie - Anthony Peters

STU
Forwards - Chris Morehouse
Defensemen - Sebastien Bernier, Felix-Antoine Poulin
Goalie -

Moncton
Forward – Christian Gaudet
Defensemen Samuel Groulx, Simon Jodoin, Francis Meilleur, Remi Blanchard
Goalie -

UPEI
Forwards – Nathan Moon
Defensemen – Spencer Metcalfe, Alex Wall
Goalie -

DAL
Forwards -
Defensemen – Zack Firlotte, Pascal Amyot
Goalie – Wendall Vye

CW

Calgary
Forwards – David Robinson
Defensemen –
Goalie -

Lethbridge
Forwards – Brent Henke
Defensemen – Mike Reddington
Goalie - James Reid, Dylan Tait

Regina
Forwards – Liam Brennan, Tyler Henry, Troy Hunter
Defensemen – Dayton Fossum, John Sonntag, Mark Schneider
Goalie – Andrew Hayes

Saskatchewan
Forwards -
Defensemen – Kyle Aschim
Goalie -

Alberta
Forwards – Josh Koper, Jordan Heckmott, Brett Furgeson, Levko Koper, Travis Toomey, Kruise Reddick
Defensemen –
Goalie –

UBC
Forwards – Kyle Johnson, Cole Wilson, Marc-Antoine Jeneau
Defensemen – Jason Yee
Goalie – Steven Stanford

Manitoba
Forwards – Matt Lowry, Neal Prokop, Jordan Davis, Brendan Rowinski
Defensemen – Tyler Schmidt, Travis Bobbee, Darren Bestland
Goalie - Mark Friesen

OUA

McGill
Forwards - Marc-Olivier Vachon, Guillaume Langelier-Parent
Defensemen – Hugo Laporte, Nicolas Therrien, Colin Archer
Goalie – Mark Segal

Carleton
Forwards – Scott Tanski
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Nipissing
Forwards – Nick Huard, Dane Horvat, Matthew Paton
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Queens
Forwards – Tyler Moore
Defensemen – Steve Tresierra
Goalie –

Toronto
Forwards – Paul Van De Velde, Kevin Deagle, Tyler Liukkonen
Defensemen –
Goalie – Brian Willows

Concordia
Forwards – Mike Small
Defensemen -
Goalie –

Ottawa
Forwards – Jeff Gottzmann, Craig Moore, Joe Carnevale, Maxim Chamberlain, Jack Walchessen, Mathieu Ouelette
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Ryerson
Forwards –
Defensemen – Dean Willmott, Mark Corbett
Goalie –

RMC
Forwards –
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Western
Forwards – Jeff Brown
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Laurier
Forwards –
Defensemen – Frank Riddle
Goalie –

Lakehead
Forwards – Mike Hammond, Jason Grecica, Mitch Fillman
Defensemen – Luke Maw, Riley Macintosh
Goalie – Jeff Bosch

Guelph
Forwards –
Defensemen –
Goalie –

Brock
Forwards – Dylan MacEachern
Defensemen – Daniel Tanel, Mitch Gaulton, Eric Bonawitz
Goalie – Adrian Volpe

Waterloo
Forwards –
Defensemen –
Goalie -

UOIT
Forwards – Jesse Stoughton, James Woodcroft
Defensemen – Pat Moran, Andrew Randazzo
Goalie -

Windsor
Forwards – Barry Sanderson, Isak Quakenbush, Ryan Greer, D.J Turner, Spencer Pommels, Drew Palmer, Derek Lanoue
Defensemen – Michael MacIntyre
Goalie – Parker Van Buskirk, Dan Savelli

York
Forwards – Ryan Anderson, Mark Glass, Jordan Forfar, Tyler McGee
Defensemen – Troy Brass, Jeremie Perron, Chris Wiggin
Goalie –

UQTR
Forwards – Billy Lacasse, Tommy Tremblay, Charles Bety, Nicolas Chouinard, Felix Lafrancois, Alexandre Touchette, Mathieu Asselin, Bruno-Pier Courchesne, Simon Ferland-Chapdelaine, Olivier Ouellet
Defensemen – Olivier Hotte, Kevin Robert
Goalie – Karl St.Laurent

Last edited by Fan of the Vreds: 06-24-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Fan of the VReds

thanks for doing this, I was wondering if there was a summary of all the recruiting going on out there.

a couple of rumours out here in the West.

1. Kruise Reddick and Travis Toomey have committed to Alberta
2. Tyler Schmidt, Travis Bobbee, Mark Friesen, Neal Prokop, Jordan Davis and Darren Bestland have all committed to the University of Manitoba.

Old
06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
2minutes4charging
Rookie User

from Durham Region News

Former Sarnia Sting Jesse Stoughton

http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/178834

2minutes4charging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentD View Post
Why I'm saying that it is a bit of a concern is simply the fact that ex-uOttawa coach ang general manager Dave Leger was cleared at the end of april which is a crucial part in the finalization of the recruiting process. Unlike the situation of the 2010 Laurier Hawks, uOttawa's coach was gone before the summer started. Nevertheless, there's obviously a few guys that chose Ottawa before the coaching change. But, I've heard a few names here and there that decided to change school after Leger was let go because that haven't had any talks for a while. This was the case with former Chicoutimi Sags Fwd Billy Lacasse who decided to join the UQTR Pats when the season was over.

@clear the track

How do you know so many names that have commited to uOttawa? I'm trying to search through any available info on the subject and I can't seem to find anything!

By the way, I've heard that Mathieu Ouellette, a forward who played in Spain last year might play for the Gee-Gees next year. This is unofficial though...
I double checked the dates for Laurier and I suppose I was a little off. Nobes last year departed as of April 29, and Puhalski was announced as the new coach on June 17. Date wise it seems to be fairly similar to Ottawa this year but every scenario is different. From the sounds of the rumors, it is possible some of the players contacted may still commit, but it is possible that for several players, the loss of the head coach could be the deciding factor to attend another school.

I understand the concern however. Best case scenario is Ottawa loses only a few of the recruits they otherwise would have had, and likely gains no new ones. It is a bit of a lose-lose damage control situation in the short term. Not the most inspiring news for followers of the team, but it may be salvaged with no ill effects. I suppose we will find out in a few months. Last year for Laurier it worked out, but the team still had about 4 walk-ons from local junior B teams. Had a coach been on board for the full year, I doubt that would have happened. A lot will also depend on the number of returnees. If only a few depart, then Ottawa is in a better spot. Some OUA teams have been turning over about 10-12 players a season. Hopefully Ottawa is not in that case.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Explain to me what commits means in CIS parlance. Does committing mean you have an automatic spot on the team. Who commits to who. The Univ to the player or the player to the Univ. As their is no wriiten commit as The Leter of Intent such as they have in the States is this all just mumble jumbo. Can a player show up to camp and literally not have a place on the team?

Lets take Ottawa for example.

I have heard of the following players commiting (emphasis on heard)

Craig Moore Brampton Battilion 21yrs old
Jon Carnevale Ottawa 67's 21 yrs old
Maxim Chamberland Drummondville, St Thomas and some CHL exp 25 yrs old
Jack Walchesson Peterboro Petes 21 yrs old
Gottzman Burlington (heard of this one from this site) 20 yrs old

If all of these players show up and make the team i can see some serious cuts and or healthy scratches come game day. Ottawa would have a serious number of capable forwards

It would make Ottawa a very young team with 80 percent of their players in 1st or 2nd year

Anyone care to clarify what commit means and how it would affect the above scenario
I think the LOI was covered earlier. It is by no means a written in stone, legally binding contract, but likely indicates the recruit is planning to attend that university in the fall. All CIS teams have open tryouts as far as I know, so it is fully possible that a player commits and then doesn't make the team. However, most recruited players I would assume are scouted with the intention of them playing a role on the team, so I would be surprised if they were cut before the final roster was announced. Once on the team could they be a healthy scratch? For sure.

As for your list of recruits, a list of 5 forwards is by no means a huge number of incoming players. Especially in the OUA, the turnover can be very high. For some teams like a UNB or Alberta, usually the number of departing players can be calculated pretty easily by looking at the previous year, crossing off the 5th year players and a few of the 4th year guys who might not be returning. In the OUA, a lot of teams have very high turnover. Ottawa had a large roster last year, but a typical team would consist of roughly 25 players. Last years team had 17 first year players, and the 2009-2010 had 13 first year players. Of those 13 first year players from 2009-2010, only 7 were with the team in 2010-2011. Factor in the senior players leaving/graduating, some teams can lose up to 8-12 players in any given year. Looking at Ottawa's roster, their team will surely consist of plenty of 1st or 2nd year players, but I would not be surprised to see more than just the 5 rumoured.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:56 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post

UNB
Forwards – Geordie Wudrick, Kruise Reddick
Defensemen -
Goalie – Dan Lacosta

Alberta
Forwards – Josh Koper, Jordan Heckmott, Brett Furgeson, Levko Koper, Travis Toomey, Kruise Reddick
Defensemen – Colin Archer
Goalie –
So Reddick is playing for both UNB and Alberta next year??

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:54 AM
CanWestFan

Any word on Teigan Zahn? Is he going pro or is he not a school guy? Saw him in Calgary a few times this year and logged a lot of minutes on a solid Saskatoon Blades team.

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:18 AM
VRedsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
So Reddick is playing for both UNB and Alberta next year??
Oh how easy rumours start What we all love about this site! Until there is a "commitment" announced by team/player jointly it is all rumour-mongering. And even at that stage things can fall apart leading to September.

VRedsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
Oh how easy rumours start What we all love about this site! Until there is a "commitment" announced by team/player jointly it is all rumour-mongering. And even at that stage things can fall apart leading to September.
yes, these things are intriguing. the rumour in western canada is that reddick has already got a place to live with former team mates Jarret Toll and Johnny Lazo. My money is on him playing in Edmonton.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
2minutes4charging
Rookie User

Help

New at this. Can someone explain. If a player commits to a school, is he still free to talk to other CIS coaches and change his mind? What are CIS rules regarding this situation?

2minutes4charging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
AUS Fan

Commitment - Part Deux

As stated earlier, a player can talk to other schools after "commiting" to one school.

If he were to do that, he would be considered a "dirtbag" and the other coach would not be highly thought of either. Most coaches know which players are going where and so to talk with a guy after he has "commited" is a big no-no. However, it does happen and noses get out of joint and coaches get upset with their peers and accusations fly, etc.
But, there is nothing illegal with talking with another school after "commiting" to one; it is frowned upon.

One example that I am familiar with: A player, who shall remain nameless, "commited" to DAL and was working hockey school that summer, making good coin. At the same time he was meeting with the coach of another school where his girlfriend happened to be going. Near the end of hockey school he informed the DAL coach that he would be going to the other school. Nothing to be done, except be upset.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Colin Archer

Colin Archer is headed to McGill.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote