HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier, the Rain Man

Old
03-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Regier, the Rain Man

Quote:
They call him Rain Man.

The reference is to the 1988 Dustin Hoffman-Tom Cruise movie and the character Raymond, who could tell you how much snow fell on a January day 20 years ago or could recite the telephone number of a person he just met, all thanks to studying the telephone book each night.

The tag comes courtesy of National Hockey League senior vice-president Colin Campbell. The 29 other league general managers think it’s funny, and Darcy Regier, general manager of the Buffalo Sabres since 1997, doesn’t mind at all.

When it comes to concussion talk, Regier is hockey’s equivalent of Raymond, who liked to dare people to drop a box of matches on the floor so he could instantly calculate how many spilled.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1948175/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I would certainly call his GM style "Driving slow in the parking lot on saturdays"

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Pengo

I totally agree with him.

There have been way too many concussions this season. For the integrity of the league, they absolutely have to take measures to reduce them.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:56 PM
boots electric

Good on him for allowing his son to get out of hockey. I have a feeling there's a lot of old tough guys around who wouldn't take it so well if it was their son(s) that wanted to quit.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
“It’s a huge deal,” he says. “It is very big and it impacts a lot of areas. And that’s why it’s critical that we spend a lot of time on it and pay a lot of attention to it. And get it right.

“We need to get the concussion right and get the care right and get the player back playing.

“First of all, though, there should be no concussion if it can be prevented.”
Outstanding. What a great read, thanks for sharing that. It's great to know that the GM of my favorite team shares the same exact opinion that I do on the matter.

Eventually, I want too see kneeing, elbowing, blindsiding, and boarding completely banned from the game. The only way to effectively do that is too eliminate the grey area and hang the guilty with the innocent, for lack of a better expression.

All of this "first time offender" talk, and the countless reviews, just forget about it. If you break the rule, you get games. Period. The more you do it the more you don't get to play or get paid.

I say these things because I care about the health of the players and because I want what I like to call the hockey mentality, to change. 10 years from now I want more highly skilled players to play and less head hunting brutes. And because I selfishly want to see the most skilled players get to play as much as possible. And it's the stars that carry the biggest bullseye on their back for the disrespectful abusers that have been allowed to thrive in the game for decades.

But there's another area of safety that needs to be looked at too, and it's the receivers of hits. I don't want a league where everybody is skating around admiring their own stick work. It's incumbent upon the players to protect themselves, and checking is very much a part of hockey and I wouldn't want to watch the game without clean hitting.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:00 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

He started the campaign with Drury and Neil and everyone called him a whiner back then.

Prophetic eh?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote