HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 04:43 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Murray
...Youíre trying to find a way to start a fire there, to get a good 20 minutes of hockey, and thatís what you go into the room with.
Seems like a pretty decent topic of conversation to try and get your team to wake up and show some jam in the 3rd period, no?

03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Johnny Utah

Quick was stellar and then awful, Clifford got TKO'd, we were shutout, we were outshot heavily...it was overall bad night.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:45 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
...except last night, eh Drew?

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/18...ng/#more-13306

More thoughts from Murray as well.
I think it's a two avenue street. The fans are extremely devoted to the team and the players.

When the players aren't putting their part in, of course the fans are going to be pissed, especially when the majority of Kings fans aren't millionaires and ticket prices keep going up and up.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Go eat another burger and stop *****ing Dewey

Old
03-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Johnny Utah

I actually feel bad for the players, they were embarrased, their teammate leaves with a concussion, their goalie lets in 3 bad ones and it's in their own buildings and on St. Patty's day none the less.

I paid 12 bucks for cheap seats, right under Hammond. No booing from me.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
They completely sucked for the majority of that January homestand.

Home games have not been the best thing for the Kings in 2011. Of course, that's because the fans aren't cheering enough.
Meh, they lost a lot in January but I wouldn't call it completely sucking. 8 losses in January, 5 against good to great teams, and 5 by one goal. Last nights game and the Isles game were complete tripe.

The Kings home winning % is on par with the far majority of good teams in the league. It's better than Detroit, San Jose, Boston, Dallas, Phoenix, and is right there with Washington and Montreal. Vancouver is the only team that is truly dominating at home this year.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I actually feel bad for the players, they were embarrased, their teammate leaves with a concussion, their goalie lets in 3 bad ones and it's in their own buildings and on St. Patty's day none the less.

I paid 12 bucks for cheap seats, right under Hammond. No booing from me.
Lucky you...I invited some close friends and spent in the neighborhood of 500 bucks last night for that abomination

I'm kind of over the game, because every team has a stinker. Glad they could get it all out of their systems at once. Am I proud of what this team has accomplished thus far, especially over the last stretch? Absolutely. That's why I paid so much to see that team show up last night.

Unfortunately, the team that went on the road trip isn't the same team that played last night. The team that played last night was outclassed by the mites that came out during intermission. THAT is why I booed, and believe me, it's a very rare occasion when I do so.

I'll also be more than happy to lose my voice cheering the team on this Saturday.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
NOW I have an issue with the comments from Drew Doughty. First of all, if THATS your best effort, six shots through two periods, then we are in a HEAP of trouble.

You have bigger and better reasons to be "P-O'd" other than the fans boo'ing you on the teams poorest effort of the year. I don't know, like how about Jack Johnson being beyond better than you this year? Or that you came into camp out of shape and overweight?

Boo'ing is a little messed up, and I personally don't do it. I just turn to whoever I am with and talk **** about the team to him. However, teams get boo'd off of fields, courts, the ice all the time and never have I seen one of the players come out and disrespect his own FANS like Drew Doughty did. Drew, you are not bigger than the organization and without us there is no Drew Doughty. If you don't want your own fans to boo you off the ice then don't play like dog****.

I want to hit this guy in the face right now.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Doughty for Hall and Eberle.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:57 PM
damacles1156

I wouldn't expect anything less from LA people. Hell I am surprised they were even paying attention. My sister has lived in LA for 12 years now.....She doesn't even know they have a Hockey Team.

I work for Wells Fargo; and we have a box most of the times I get access to it, the people I am sharing it with don't have a clue about Hockey in General.

I plan to take her to a playoff game so she can meet the Kings for the first time.

Lets face it there are a small group of hardcore LA Kings fans.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything less from LA people. Hell I am surprised they were even paying attention. My sister has lived in LA for 12 years now.....She doesn't even know they have a Hockey Team.

I plan to take her to a playoff game so she can meet the Kings for the first time.

Not just because I want to disagree, but I FULLY disagree with this.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:03 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Not just because I want to disagree, but I FULLY disagree with this.
Meh I am wording it wrong. Let me put it this way, I bet about 70 to 80 percent of the people last night at Staples. Didn't even know the Kings went 4-0 on the road trip.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Meh I am wording it wrong. Let me put it this way, I bet about 70 to 80 percent of the people last night at Staples. Didn't even know the Kings went 4-0 on the road trip.
You'd lose your bet. Most Kings fans are not casual fans. You get casual fans when the team is winning. This team hasn't won jack. Most of the fans at Staples are pretty hardcore Kings fans.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
You'd lose your bet. Most Kings fans are not casual fans. You get casual fans when the team is winning. This team hasn't won jack. Most of the fans at Staples are pretty hardcore Kings fans.
I disagree most of the Kings Fans I have meet in LA can only name about one or two players.

Kopitar being the most named.

The funny part is here in the Central Valley, The Kings fans I know are die hard.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:

I work for Wells Fargo; and we have a box most of the times I get access to it, the people I am sharing it with don't have a clue about Hockey in General.

hey, I've been a Wells Fargo customer for more than 10 years. Can I get a ticket?

Old
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
hey, I've been a Wells Fargo customer for more than 10 years. Can I get a ticket?
I was really surprised about how many Corporations have boxes at Staples. I guess the Lakers must bring the Bizz.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Everyone is acting like this booing is somehow uncommon or specific to 'LA type' fans. THat's ********.

Its also ******** for the coach and Doughty to have such strong words for it without throwing in the caveat "but we kind of deserved it."

I'd be OK with Doughty saying that it hurt his feelings and he didn't like it, but atleast admit that you didn't do anything on the ice worth cheering for. Its amazing how much his statement would change if he had said "I understand WHY they booed us"

Murray's comments were a knee jerk reaction immediately after the game, so whatever. I'm actually kind of happy that he is capable of having a heated knee-jerk reaction. Its a side of him I've never really seen...

However Doughty's comments came a day later, so he had time to digest and settle down. A little strong from him for my taste. Then again, in regards to last night, the animosity between fans and players is going equally both ways, so in a karmic sense, we're all good.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Everyone is acting like this booing is somehow uncommon or specific to 'LA type' fans. THat's ********.

Its also ******** for the coach and Doughty to have such strong words for it without throwing in the caveat "but we kind of deserved it."

I'd be OK with Doughty saying that it hurt his feelings and he didn't like it, but atleast admit that you didn't do anything on the ice worth cheering for. Its amazing how much his statement would change if he had said "I understand WHY they booed us"

Murray's comments were a knee jerk reaction immediately after the game, so whatever. I'm actually kind of happy that he is capable of having a heated knee-jerk reaction. Its a side of him I've never really seen...

However Doughty's comments came a day later, so he had time to digest and settle down. A little strong from him for my taste. Then again, in regards to last night, the animosity between fans and players is going equally both ways, so in a karmic sense, we're all good.
I agree with all of this. Doughty needs to be brought back down to earth. This kid head is entirely too big. Matt Greene (or somebody) needs to call this SOB out. That's great that you were nominated for a Norris, and you won a Gold Medal, but in this league you haven't won ****.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

I still can't believe people are this upset over last night's game... I guess no one watched Chicago get their butt whooped last night as well.

It happens to every team in the league.

And about the Drew comments, I still till this day say the biggest mistake the Kings made with Drew, was letting Sean go. You didn't hear a peep out of Drew when Sean was around.

O'Donnell kept Drew in check.

Drew would not be half the Drama Queen he is this season with Sean still around. He would have snatched him up by now.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Here is what TM said...

Question: What that one of the more disappointing games in recent memory?

MURRAY: “You know what the most disappointing, frustrating thing was? At the end of the second period, we were booed off the ice by our fans. That is the most embarrassing thing I have ever been through. That’s the worst I’ve ever been through, in all the years I’ve been coaching. I’ve been behind the bench almost 3,000 hockey games in the NHL, and booed off the ice by your own fans at the end of the second period, here after this road trip, going 4-0 in hard places, very disappointing.”

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/17...ns/#more-13286

I think you need to focus on getting your team ready Terry, don't worry about the fans. Christ how many times after a game do we hear the players go, "well we didn't put our best effort out there, thats why we lost".

The coaches and players need to suck it up.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:42 PM
BamBam1031

I dunno. On one hand, the team does "play for the fans." On the other hand, the fans pay top dollar to see an honest effort. If they feel like the players aren't giving them that (like in the St. Louis game), then booing is not inappropriate.

Whether or not the fans booed is not the important issue. What is important is how a professional athlete responds to said booing. If he uses it as motivation to re-focus, to train even harder, to elevate his game to the next level (a la Kobe Bryant), then all is well. If he sulks about it, as if he were entitled to hometown cheering no matter what his performance, then we have a problem.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Also, for the record, I didn't boo. I also didn't cheer much after the first period. Often I get to games after a long ass day of work and simply don't have the energy to cheer continuously if the team isn't giving me a reason to cheer.

I wasn't too pleased with the boos, I never am, but I also understand why it happened and don't think it was entirely inappropriate.

They got booed off the ice in the second but what no one seems to care about is they were greeted with cheers at the start of the third just as if they were going into it with a lead.

Old
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

How often are the Kings ever booed off the ice? They're being critical over something so minuscule when their focus should be on their lackluster effort that was completely embarrassing. They should be embarrassed and ashamed of that performance. The booing had no effect on their play, they dug themselves in a hole and simply did not show up to play.

They should be privileged to be playing in the NHL, fans are certainly going to expect more than 6 feeble shot attempts in 40 minutes. To pick on something insignificant like the fans booing is deflecting the real issue at hand. If they want to silence the boo birds, perhaps they should do more than lay down and allow the opposition to walk all over them, which is exactly what St. Louis did last night.

Old
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:

Amen brother, I totally agree with this statement.

Old
03-18-2011, 07:21 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

I did not Boo, but left after the third goal to go play in my own game.

I am however certain that every player on my over 40 team was more focused and gave a better effort than those pro's who didnt look so professional last night. I get why people boo. They dont believe their team is trying. If this team's player's egos are so fragile that they get cranky about being booed when they play like ****, how the hell are they going to stand the pressure of a few playoff rounds.

As for TM's comments, its not like everyone of us on this board did not fear how the team would play coming off a road trip, and particularly against St Louis.

I yelled at the beginning of the 2nd "Wake em up Terry" but the coach looked to be as sleepy as Clifford was woozy going off the ice.

If the coach cant handle getting his team prepared and suffers the fans wrath becuase of it, I wont feel to bad for him.

All i know is that if the Kings play with that same lackluster effort and lack of intensity, I WILL BOO, TM and the rest of them be damned!

Closed Thread