HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 02:21 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Organizations don't disrespect their fans. That's a no-no. Even if Murray has a valid point, you don't say that at a press conference.

People had every right to be audibly upset tonight.

The fans cheered loudly when the Kings came on the ice to thank them for their road performance. They aren't going to cheer after one of the top 10 worst 2 period performances in the Kings 44 year history. Maybe top 5 - certainly from a stats perspective, it's right up there with "worst ever".

Anyway... like I said earlier... the game is already forgotten. They'll respond on Saturday. Hopefully.
Here is a really interesting point to me. TM shouldn't have under any circumstances said anything about the fans actions. I wonder if there will be any long term repercussions from this. I wouldn't think so but then TM has put his foot clean down his throat with his comments tonight.

Other coaches have said some harsh things about their own fans before Cherry did back in Boston and so did Keenan though it slips my mind as to what he said. But if I remember right both of those guys said things about the fans as they were being or immediately after being fired.

Has TM done any real harm? That is sort of an interesting idea.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

I am not a fan of moderators agreeing with each other. It smacks of elitism. Booooooo.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:23 AM
lak4ever

Wtf happend??? I'm guessing I should delete the game off my dvr.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:24 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Here is a really interesting point to me. TM shouldn't have under any circumstances said anything about the fans actions. I wonder if there will be any long term repercussions from this. I wouldn't think so but then TM has put his foot clean down his throat with his comments tonight.

Other coaches have said some harsh things about their own fans before Cherry did back in Boston and so did Keenan though it slips my mind as to what he said. But if I remember right both of those guys said things about the fans as they were being or immediately after being fired.

Has TM done any real harm? That is sort of an interesting idea.
I wasn't a fan already but he is dead to me after tonight. I'm obviously not cancelling my tickets, but I will chew the ear off of my rep tomorrow to let him know that it is completely unacceptable for the crowd to be called out when it is the players on the ice who were the problem.

Crowd came to rock tonight. St. Paddy's day and numerous fans paying good money to buy those lousy green jerseys. Kings played like they were still in an airport in Nashville.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:27 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
It's not elitist BS but fact: the ones how chirp about Staples being a ****** crowd are mainly those who don't go to the game. The criticism seems to be stronger the farther away from LA the person lives since they'd love to be able to go to a game.

You and I are different: I will boo when deserved and you feel it is an excercise in futility. That's perfectly fine but I am not being an elitist in any way and I will not be accused as such.

Also, a "boo" does not mean "YOU SUCK!!! DO YOUR JOB PERFECTLY YOU BUM!!!". Tonight, it meant "DO YOUR JOB AT LEAST HALF RIGHT!!"
I actually live as far away from L.A. as you can and still be in North America and I have to say that at least in my case you couldn't be any more wrong. In addition I said that it is starting to sound like elitist B.S. when you say that you have some additional right to boo or cheer the team because you are fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder.

I also don't think that there is any part of booing the team that could make you an elitist so I guess we are alright there? You will boo *whenever you feel* it is deserved and that is absolutely your right, just like it is both of our right to debate your actions on this board. If I were a paid sponsor of this board would my opinion be any more valid or have any greater meaning than your own?

I don't think so at all.

Also it is pure speculation to say that a player can interpret one boo from another. I don't get that at all.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I am not a fan of moderators agreeing with each other. It smacks of elitism. Booooooo.
Don't be hating. You're just jealous of our cocktail jackets and top hats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
Wtf happend??? I'm guessing I should delete the game off my dvr.
Delete it immediately.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
03-18-2011, 02:32 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I actually live as far away from L.A. as you can and still be in North America and I have to say that at least in my case you couldn't be any more wrong. In addition I said that it is starting to sound like elitist B.S. when you say that you have some additional right to boo or cheer the team because you are fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder.

I also don't think that there is any part of booing the team that could make you an elitist so I guess we are alright there? You will boo *whenever you feel* it is deserved and that is absolutely your right, just like it is both of our right to debate your actions on this board. If I were a paid sponsor of this board would my opinion be any more valid or have any greater meaning than your own?

I don't think so at all.

Also it is pure speculation to say that a player can interpret one boo from another. I don't get that at all.
That is only in your case. I've been around here awhile and the majority of those who complain about the fans are those who do not attend games with the criticism increasing the further away from LA the poster lives.

I'm not looking to argue with you, but your attempt to compare my argument to that of respecting your opinion more or less because you paid ten bucks to be a sponsor on HF does not hold water: I think you already know that though.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:38 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Jim Fox looked like he was ready to take Murray (or O'Neal) out to the woodshed after the interview aired. He was visibly upset. In any case... I don't want to blow it out of proportion. Murray was upset like we all were.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:44 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Jim Fox looked like he was ready to take Murray out to the woodshed after the interview aired. He was visibly upset by Murray's comments. In any case... I don't want to blow it out of proportion. He was upset like we all were.
I gotta go watch it now, didn't see that, sounds interesting. I hope he was upset, the Kings bombed tonight. They didn't deserve cheers or even silence. There was booze flowing everywhere on St. Patrick's day, what did Murray expect? There was only one inevitable response. This whole night was fail from a Kings point-of-view.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:58 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I gotta go watch it now, didn't see that, sounds interesting. I hope he was upset, the Kings bombed tonight.
It was awkward. "Upset" isn't the right term for it... Murray's comments caused Jim a lot of consternation. He clearly had no interest in discussing Murray's comments about the fans.

Jim said to Patrick that he didn't want to comment on Murray's comments re: the fans and went on to comment on the other points Murray made, which was fine and that seemed to be the extent of it until Patrick pressed him on it, and Jim clammed up and gave gestures to O'Neal as if to say "you're on your own buddy".

Old
03-18-2011, 03:01 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

What I don't understand is that Murray hardly ever speaks out negatively against anything publicly, but he chooses to pick on the fans? Just a dumb move on his part

Old
03-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
It was awkward. "Upset" isn't the right term for it... Murray's comments caused Jim a lot of consternation. He clearly had no interest in discussing Murray's comments about the fans.

Jim said to Patrick that he didn't want to comment on Murray's comments re: the fans and went on to comment on the other points Murray made, which was fine and that seemed to be the extent of it until Patrick pressed him on it, and Jim clammed up and gave gestures to O'Neal as if to say "you're on your own buddy".
Jim needs to be more open with his criticism. Both he and Bob call it like they see it, but he tries to sugar coat everything too often. Lately every time he criticizes something, he hints towards it and then backs away. It is nice to know he didn't seem to agree at least. Oh well, onto the next game. Four point game, can't afford a repeat.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Hollywood

maybe he was that puzzled given his 35 year history with the NHL that he spoke his true mind... Not a fan of his but I respect him a hell of a lot more now than I did before the game.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:07 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
What I don't understand is that Murray hardly ever speaks out negatively against anything publicly, but he chooses to pick on the fans? Just a dumb move on his part
It's more a case of a coach forgetting what it's like to be a fan. He's been observing games from a different perspective than all of us for a lot of years now. He saw a team that was exhausted after playing balls out on the road trip. He felt like they didn't deserve to be berated.

If he were a fan he would have a different perspective - one more along the lines of "I'm paying to see this awesome team that I love kick some ass"... only to be kicked in the nuts by an abysmal performance.

Coaches aren't fans. They're coaches. Which is reason 5,419 why you don't throw fans of the team under the bus, no matter how valid your point may be. It's two completely different perspectives.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:23 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I don't like booing but I can certainly understand it in this case. The fans paid to be there only to have the guys who GET paid to be there not show up.

It's easy to say you shouldn't boo when you're comfortably sitting on your couch watching the game. When you go out of your way to get to the arena, deal with the traffic, deal with parking, deal with everything that's involved while spending a decent chunk of change and of your spare time just to be there, to have the team not show up and just get embarrassed on the ice is incredibly frustrating.

Looking at the big picture is easy to do when you're at home, four game winning streak and all that, but when you're at the game you want to be entertained.

That said, mock cheers are ****ing stupid.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Orenji

I don't blame anyone who booed. It was a terrible effort by the Kings. No, the boos didn't help them, but neither did cheering. The fans TRIED to cheer them. There were countless times they tried to get a "GO KINGS GO" chant and then it would be sidelined by a bad pass or a turnover at our own blue line.

The players are millionaires. They get paid to come out and play their best. I'm sure none of them are crying about how they got booed. The same crap happened on our last long home stand against these very same Blues. They got booed out of the building in that game as well because they showed no energy or emotion.

We got destroyed by the Wings and were down like 7-1 with a minute to go, but that crowd was way more positive due to how the Kings were actually going at the Wings.

Murray needs to see that they played terrible and the booing was a wake up call. If they play the next game against the Ducks like they played tonight, they will be booed off the ice again. That's just how it is. We can all be happy that we went 4-0 on a great road trip, but facts are facts: our crappy eight game home stand put us in a position where we are still fighting to even make the playoffs. If we had, let's say, six more points than we did now, I don't think the team gets the boos. The fans want this team to make the playoffs, and to see a game you're supposed to win slip away like this is just hard to swallow; especially when those people paid money to see the team play at their best like they had seen at the road trip.

Hopefully they come back and play hard against the Ducks. They still need six wins out of the last eleven to assure themselves a spot in the playoffs. Let's hope they can do it.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I'm not going to apologize. I boo'ed my poor ass off tonight.

The Kings just came off an amazing road trip and have played themselves into a great position in the Western Conference, and the crowd showed it when the team took the ice. Maybe those that are chastising the boo'ers didn't see/hear that. The crowd was jazzed, St. Patty's Day was in full effect, and everyone looked ready to rock.

The absolute abortion that took the ice deserved every boo it got. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree, but I'm not one to be upset with a team (verbally) often, and tonight's game, anyone that paid to show up had EVERY reason to let the team have it.

Does that make it right? Maybe not. But cheering/mock cheering isn't going to let them know how we really felt, either. I don't know what it is about this team absolutely crapping the bed on home ice, but Terry Murray can suck it with those comments about the fans. To paraphrase Miracle, worry about your own game--plenty to keep you busy there!

Edit: I'm not one to play contrarian, but wow. I'm actually shocked and a bit appalled at the names chastising the crowd tonight. Like I said, agree to disagree, I guess, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone could take TM's side after shelling out cash for that wreck :/

Old
03-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
It's more a case of a coach forgetting what it's like to be a fan. He's been observing games from a different perspective than all of us for a lot of years now. He saw a team that was exhausted after playing balls out on the road trip. He felt like they didn't deserve to be berated.

If he were a fan he would have a different perspective - one more along the lines of "I'm paying to see this awesome team that I love kick some ass"... only to be kicked in the nuts by an abysmal performance.

Coaches aren't fans. They're coaches. Which is reason 5,419 why you don't throw fans of the team under the bus, no matter how valid your point may be. It's two completely different perspectives.
Well said. Maybe it was his frustration showing, but come on TM.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:38 AM
ShattStar03

Kings deserved the Boo, I don't boo the team at games, it's just not my personality but I don't blame the fans for doing it.

As for TM calling out the fans? He can go **** himself and work on getting this team better than worrying about the fans.

This is an NHL team hockey team with players who are paid millions to play the game. If they can't take the abuse from the fans, then they need to find a new profession.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:45 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Forgot To Show Up Against St. Louis

Old
03-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Just watched the DVR. Happy I didn't skip the St. Patty's day festivities for that game.

How much longer can TM justify keeping the second line together, 2 more goals against and no signs of any offensive life whatsoever. The Kopi line has been excellent but there are going to be games they are going to be shutdown and they need help.

Stoll and Smyth have a combined 7 pts and are a combined -18 over the past 10 games. Come on Terry, do some coaching it's clearly not working.

I just don't see how the Kings can't atleast give Richardson or Moller a chance on that line, realistically they could probably bring up Holloway or King and they would be an improvement over Smyth who at this point should not be in the lineup, it is not a slump and his play is not getting better. He gets worse and worse every game. I wonder if Smyth may consider retirement, he seems like a guy with some pride, he has to realize he just doesn't have it anymore.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:29 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Organizations don't disrespect their fans. That's a no-no. Even if Murray has a valid point, you don't say that at a press conference.

People had every right to be audibly upset tonight.

The fans cheered loudly when the Kings came on the ice to thank them for their road performance. They aren't going to cheer after one of the top 10 worst 2 period performances in the Kings 44 year history. Maybe top 5 - certainly from a stats perspective, it's right up there with "worst ever".

Anyway... like I said earlier... the game is already forgotten. They'll respond on Saturday. Hopefully.
I can't think of too many performances THIS bad in my 38 years as a Kings fan... This is RAZZIE territory here in performance...even worse than The Love Guru...

Old
03-18-2011, 05:07 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I gave the Kings a standing ovation in Game 6 last year after they blew a lead in the 3rd to get eliminated.

But that was because there was obvious effort in the game. The team played hard and usually they do. I don't boo most losses I go to because most of those games are just typical hockey losses.

When the team doesn't put in effort, they deserve every boo, every cat call, every insult that gets thrown at them.

I was at the Dallas game in a meaningless joyless season when the Kings came back down 4-0 in the third. Believe me, it was not a cheering crowd that got that first goal for the Kings. There were no cheers. There were boos at the end of the 2nd. There were boos at the beginning of the third. There was silence when saves were made.

When the Kings scored to make it 4-1, there were cheers, though a bit subdued. When they scored to make it 4-2, the cheers got louder. 4-3, the crowd lit up and stayed with the Kings until they won in OT. Kopitar credited the crowd for the win.

It's a sport, but it works like any other form of entertainment. You gotta work your audience. If you don't respect them with your performance, they won't respect you. The Kings facing Dallas that game never gave up on themselves and brought the crowd back into the game, then fed off the enthusiasm.

They didn't bring the crowd back into this game and nothing to feed off of to get confidence enough to pull out a win or at least a respectable loss.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Don't be hating. You're just jealous of our cocktail jackets and top hats.

Delete it immediately.
Did you get addicted to crack?! lol

Old
03-18-2011, 06:57 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
That was worse than the Islanders debacle. I didn't think it could get any worse than that game, but they proved us wrong tonight.
Oh, and say good bye to the division title after that bed ****ing and the Sharks winning.
It was similar to Islanders debacle and for the same reason. Both these teams have too much speed for our team.

Closed Thread