HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
It was similar to Islanders debacle and for the same reason. Both these teams have too much speed for our team.
Then wait for the Red Wings or Canucks.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
nocturn

Im not for or against booing. Nor am I against voicing your opinion. I am however, against people that seem to think that the buck stops at their opinion.

God forbid TM voice his opinion about the fan's voicing theirs. He has every right to call out the fans (which IMO was done to motivate a team that seemed to think they are/were finished the season) just as the fans have every right to call him and his team's play out. Only difference is TM will scold the team on their crap play and move on whereas the fans will take it personally, call their rep, *****, throw a tantrum and stomp around like TM owes them a cookie for being mean....*sniffle*

Good morning Reality! Have you been introduced to Fantasy?

Thank God Torts doesnt coach here. Some of you would probably go into halibut like seizures while trying to sue him for Defamation of Fanbase.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:25 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
booing the team off the ice at the end of the 2nd after being outshot 30-6 was completely justified REGARDLESS of how well they fared on their road trip... Murray's response was arrogant and carried the tone of the fans having to be thankful.

he can kiss my a-schfifty five!

what i don't like are the bronx cheers and gold clap sort of thing... i HATED it when the fans would rail on Cloutier, and i hate it still.
Cloutier earned it. The guy was a passionless blob.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Whiskeypete

with all the back and forth bs between the two differing sides, i know everyone will be in agreement when i say let's pray Clifford is back quick. in the meantime it means Richie and Westie are the odds on favorites into the line up. who maybe gets called up to take Kyle's spot if he's out a few days is anyone's guess. personally i will be very surprised if Oscar gets the call. i think Murray has zero use for him and don't think he will really ever get a shot in LA while he coaches.

dont forget that Murray skated Harrold at wing before, so don't be surprised if that happens again. personally i thought that was one of TMu's lamest coaching decisions. you've got fwd's in MAN busting their ass to make the big squad, give them a shot. don't come with the 'were in a playoff race' bs. so you'd rather skate a Westie/Lewis/Harrold #4? at that rate just skate three lines then and be done with it.

when it comes to the booing here is my take. people paid their money they have the right to make their choice. the team, the players, the coaches are there because of the fans paying for the chance to see THEIR team. players and coaches will come and go, fans remain. ive been a fan of the Kings longer than anyone on the roster, im personally wrapped into the success (positive/negative) whether they like it or not. the passion of the fans for their team is what makes pro teams possible. if the fans didn't care, the team would fold, or move to winnipeg and those guys would be accountants or toll booth operators leading their beer leagues in stats.

a few people have mentioned it and i'll bring it up again because im in agreement. the bar has been raised and the performance expectations are higher. when this level of performance isn't met people get upset. fans that boo are merely showing their displeasure in not measuring up. some will say (TMu included) that it was classless. well look at it the other way. what if fans just sat on their ass and didn't care? then you've got an arena full of people that don't care what happens either way, win or loss. to me that is far worse.

Murray ripping the fans imo was over the top and classless on his part. it could of just been the immediate frustration, it may not have been. it could have been the impact of what happened and the embarrassment he felt. wth were people supposed to do, *** cheer for them at the end of 2 periods? yeah right. if Murray had any sack he would have simply said "we were awful tonight in all areas. we didnt show up and the fans were right to expect better from us. we put this one behind us and move forward". all he did was further piss off and alienate the fans with that. instead of making himself, his staff and the players accountable all he did was to point the finger someplace else. all he showed was his ability to 'baby' his guys with his statement. hold them accountable for how poor they played.

"they just came home off a very successful 4 game trip", and this is how they are received? they were cheered for when they took the ice, that was an acknowledgement of that trip. what happened after that was a result of the game, not the road trip.

after SJ, PHX and DAL wins last night that makes the remainder of this homestand ALL MUST WINS. the Yotes jumped ahead of LA again. DAL is 1 pt behind and SJ moved back to 5 pts ahead. they need wins against both CAL and ANH to stay ahead of them in the race. they need the win vs SJ to close the gap. they need the win against COL to keep pace/close the gap, but if they lose any of them is the one they can afford to lose since the Avs are out.

Last edited by Whiskeypete: 03-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Cloutier earned it. The guy was a passionless blob.
he had three straight 30-win seasons and had backstopped Vancouver into the playoffs. the guy was made fun of IN Los Angeles for a shot not too unlike the one that burned Quick last night that happened when he played for the Canucks.

he may have stunk up the joint during his stay, but one thing you could never accuse him of was his lack of passion. he gave everything he had... it just wasn't good enough. the poor guy was never able to successfully overcome some pretty serious injuries.

someone once proudly posted either here or on LGK about how they got to the game early enough to have a nice spot for warm-ups, and then as Cloutier left the ice, he yelled out "you suck!"

you honestly believe he earned or deserved that?

Old
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Winger23

Quote:
booing the team off the ice at the end of the 2nd after being outshot 30-6 was completely justified REGARDLESS of how well they fared on their road trip... Murray's response was arrogant and carried the tone of the fans having to be thankful.

he can kiss my a-schfifty five!

what i don't like are the bronx cheers and gold clap sort of thing... i HATED it when the fans would rail on Cloutier, and i hate it still.
This is spot on. Quick was the only reason the Kings were even in a game still at the end of two. Yes he laid an egg in the 3rd (and 6 seconds left to go in the 2nd). 6 shots even a day after is still leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't expect the team to win out the rest of the year, but I expected to see quality hockey from them. Just to put it in perspective, the blues had 5 shots on ONE power play last night. Thats damn near the same shot total in 2 minutes than the kings had in 40.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
Im not for or against booing. Nor am I against voicing your opinion. I am however, against people that seem to think that the buck stops at their opinion.

God forbid TM voice his opinion about the fan's voicing theirs. He has every right to call out the fans (which IMO was done to motivate a team that seemed to think they are/were finished the season) just as the fans have every right to call him and his team's play out. Only difference is TM will scold the team on their crap play and move on whereas the fans will take it personally, call their rep, *****, throw a tantrum and stomp around like TM owes them a cookie for being mean....*sniffle*

Good morning Reality! Have you been introduced to Fantasy?

Thank God Torts doesnt coach here. Some of you would probably go into halibut like seizures while trying to sue him for Defamation of Fanbase.
He has every right to say whatever he wants; it doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid thing to say.

He chose not to really criticize the players in his post game comments. He simply could have left it at that but then he feels the need to slam the fanbase? Asinine.

Like I said previously, I understand that they keep trying to deflect attention away from the team after terrible losses but attacking the fanbase isn't the way to do it.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:44 PM
riznat

There are a lot of comments in this thread about how you should never give up on your team until the game is over (Tonelli, shellz some others im sure) How do those in that crowd feel about Murray giving up on them after the second? In the post game interview he said the shots were 30-6 after 2, that the team was done, the game was over. When asked if he thought about putting in Bernier to start the third to try and change up the game he said no, it wouldn't have mattered the game was over.

The coach saw what all the fans saw, a team that couldn't or wouldn't bother to give an effort.

And give the fans a break, they cheered very very loud for the first part of the game, before it was evident there was no reason to praise their team.

I think there are a lot of parents or future parents in there that have the "my child is a superstar no matter what they do!" approach to life.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
DeeMeck

The Supermost Awesome movie in the World is the biggest hit ever.

The sequel was even better, as were movies 3 and 4.

Supermost Awesome Movie 5 was terrible and nothing like the first 4...and the crowds booed as they left the theatre.

It happens in all walks of life. It's entertainment. The crowd was not entertained and let the team have it. Anschutz Entertainment Group, what do you expect?

TM could have gotten his point across in a different way. I understand his frustration, but he went too far. Get over it and move on.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
DeeMeck

I would think that the Kings won't be getting any more days off either.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

At first I thought it was going to be his LA version of the "choking" incident but then I realized he was probably talking about the fans. At least he seemed angry for once.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Didn't LA clown the Avs in a similar fashion to what StL did to them last night earlier this season?

Now the low shot total and the quality of the last 3 goals given up by Quick are some of the worst I think I've ever witnessed in a long, long time. In fact, I think it's been since the Cechmanek days since we've seen a red line shot go in on a Kings goalie.

I watched the game on DVR, so I was able to forward through most of the mess. I can imagine fans being pretty frustrated with seeing this performance live, given that the team is doing so well and this is their first game home in a little bit. The booing at the end of the 2nd, that to me wasn't deserved cause it was only 2-0. The booing in the 3rd and at the end, I'm cool with.

The bronx cheers to Quick were too soon. Yea, he had an awful game. But it's not like he's strung together a series of Cloutier like performances. Now Terry Murray talking about the fans after the game, he's going to regret that one. He was right, but he didn't do anyone any good by talking about it in the heat of the moment. He should know better.

Old
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
You did this during the home losing streak, talking about how everyone was giving up and you weren't, making you SuperFan #1, so your opinion on this is no surprise.
... What I actually said was that it was short-sighted and premature to give up on the team at that point, and the last couple months or so have proven that. As for your little derisive and sarcastic "Superfan" comment in reference to me, hey - whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Quote:
It's extremely amusing to be told that, because I booed one of the worst performances I've seen on home ice over the last 400+ games I've attended
... Yeah, a bit melodramatic, aren't we? It was a 4 goal loss. They had one of those just last season, against San Jose. It was a bad game, but historically bad??? Hardly.

Quote:
that I am not with this team "through thick and thin". I'd imagine that simply maintaining two seats over this time, while putting myself in debt to do so while I was in college, would shoot holes all throughout your theory.
... If the team's been one of the hottest in the NHL for two months, come home and lose ONE game, and you can't wait to boo them for it - then yeah you're damn right that's an attitude of "hey I'm only with you guys when you win." That you've had seats for a long time is irrelevant; do you want a cookie for that? It's OK to be a fairweather fan and **** on the team when there's the least bit of adversity, just because you have season tickets?

Quote:
I don't mind anyone who has a problem with booing and who refrains from doing so; however, it's complete garbage to have a few geniuses on here not only chastise the booing--which is perfectly acceptable--but use it as an excuse to paint an entire group of 18,000 people as awful, uninformed hacks who shouldn't be allowed to go to a Kings game again.
... Then why don't you address what I actually said, then? I only made the comment I made about those who DID boo. I didn't paint 18,000 people with the same brush, so don't put words in my mouth. The fans have every right to boo, but those who DID boo came off looking like a bunch of babies who couldn't handle the fact that the team actually had a poor game after playing a number of good games.

Quote:
As for Terr Bear, he was way out of line with his comment and those who support it, calling the boo-birds shortsighted because they didn't cheer for a 4-game win streak the entire game, are being just as shortsighted as Murray overlooking the fact that this fanbase has gone through a lot of terrible hockey seasons yet stood by the franchise.
... Oh, I see. Let's blame Murray for all of the bad years that happened before he got here, and not look at what he's actually done - took a dead in the water team and got them to dramatically improve their defense in his first season, got them in the playoffs his second season, and looks to be getting into the playoffs again this season. Yeah, that guy's a real piece of ****, isn't he? I mean, Christ - you'll never get me to say he's a perfect head coach, but he's brought some positives to this team, and he was 100% right in what he said. To consider that some of the fans couldn't even wait until the game was over to turn on the team, especially in light of the recent success they've had, WAS embarrassing. And don't pretend the booing was done to "wake up" the team or "light a fire" or whatever other B.S. rationalization comes to mind - the people that booed did it for themselves, to make themselves feel better. "Look at me, I'm an angry fan right now!" Pathetic.

Old
nocturn

Quote:
He has every right to say whatever he wants; it doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid thing to say.

He chose not to really criticize the players in his post game comments. He simply could have left it at that but then he feels the need to slam the fanbase? Asinine.

Like I said previously, I understand that they keep trying to deflect attention away from the team after terrible losses but attacking the fanbase isn't the way to do it.
You show me where in this quote there is a 'slam' or 'attack'?

ďYou know what the most disappointing, frustrating thing was? At the end of the second period, we were booed off the ice by our fans. That is the most embarrassing thing I have ever been through. Thatís the worst Iíve ever been through, in all the years Iíve been coaching. Iíve been behind the bench almost 3,000 hockey games in the NHL, and booed off the ice by your own fans at the end of the second period, here after this road trip, going 4-0 in hard places, very disappointing.Ē

I see a observation, a comparison and a opinion.

Enlighten me please.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Maybe I'm missing a quote, but I didn't take it the way you guys are taking TM's comments. I took it as he was saying that it was embarrassing for the TEAM to come back and play so horribly to the extent where you get boo'd by your own fans. In no way did I think he was taking a shot at the fans.

P.s. I feel like a lot of people have been saying, "Not worried about Quick. He always bounces back." WAY too frequently now-a-days.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Harold Snepsts

I think TM's comments are definitely open to interpretation. It could be a shot at the fans, it could be a comment mostly on how poorly the team played after a good road trip, it could be both.

Last night's performance was bafflingly bad, but I have to say as a relatively new Kings fan, I was surprised how quickly the fans turned on the team.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Johnny Utah

Time for Rich Clune?

Old
03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I'm not going to get into this much further, but a couple of responses to your post:

You can't simply look at the final score to gauge how bad this performance was, but I think you know that.

You did say it was shortsighted to give up on the team, the issue is that nobody was giving up on the team and you came in with all of this superfan bravado. I'm not saying it to make myself feel better as sticking it to you doesn't do anything for me, I'm merely stating what happened back in January.

Speaking of melodramatic, "...waiting to boo them" definitely fits that criteria. Yeah man, me and the boys couldn't wait to drive up to LA to boo the heck out of these guys.

You didn't paint the entire crowd, just those that booed. My mistake on that one.

Did I blame Murray for all of the bad years before he came here? His comments have nothing to do with his success/failure during his time here as a coach.

I do not boo to make myself feel better about a terrible performance: that's what the Jameson is for. Conversely, I guess when I cheer for them, I'm doing that to make myself feel better as well? You can't have it both ways.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Terry Murray should try to remember one of my favorite sports cliche's:

"You're only as good as your last game"

I can't believe an NHL coach would lose sight of this. The fans have been showing up for 40 years and I don't think it's too unexpected for some of us to get a little worried when we see an effort such as last nights.

I doubt we will see this kind of effort on Saturday but if we do I predict a meltdown.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Time for Rich Clune?
No.

Did Westgarth make a difference last night? Just asking, not trying to chirp.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
I think TM's comments are definitely open to interpretation. It could be a shot at the fans, it could be a comment mostly on how poorly the team played after a good road trip, it could be both.

Last night's performance was bafflingly bad, but I have to say as a relatively new Kings fan, I was surprised how quickly the fans turned on the team.
if any of us are to actually concede that, even more the reason to not have said s*** in the first place.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Time for Rich Clune?
God I hope not. He is terrible, beyond terrible. Id rather have a return of John Zeiler or even giving a Jordan Nolan a chance before that useless plug if they really really felt they needed an agitator/fighter.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Winger23

A good coach would have either redirected the blame on himself by saying it was his fault for not having the team ready to play, or at least come out and say "we sucked, we know it, won't happen again"....

Instead he chose to get irate about the fans. And to be honest it's working with some of you cause you are defending him instead of calling out the crap of a display that was put out on the ice last night.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
he had three straight 30-win seasons and had backstopped Vancouver into the playoffs. the guy was made fun of IN Los Angeles for a shot not too unlike the one that burned Quick last night that happened when he played for the Canucks.

he may have stunk up the joint during his stay, but one thing you could never accuse him of was his lack of passion. he gave everything he had... it just wasn't good enough. the poor guy was never able to successfully overcome some pretty serious injuries.

someone once proudly posted either here or on LGK about how they got to the game early enough to have a nice spot for warm-ups, and then as Cloutier left the ice, he yelled out "you suck!"

you honestly believe he earned or deserved that?
Cloutier was the result of horrible signings by Davey Taylor. Lombardi takes over and continues the debacle signing Dan to a contract and then an extension for a guy that missed 60 games the season before with knee surgery. The Kings in their history seem to have very little regard for major injuries, they don't seem to employ any sort of doctor to check out these guys before they sign and they obviously don't believe in an MRI machine. That kind of stuff will lead to new players who stink getting ran out of town. As for last night the fans did their job. The Kings are in a playoff battle against a team playing for a lottery pick on back to back nights and they come out flat again. The only time the coach showed any sort of emotion was when he was bad mouthing the fans. King fans, suffering through 40 years of futility, deserve to boo. King fans, no matter how bad the team has been, have always managed to fill up Staples and that's saying something. We deserve a winner, we deserve a team that shows some passion and drive and we deserve the right to boo when we don't get it. The good news is we finally figured out how to free Terry Murray from being a wooden indian behind the bench.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
God I hope not. He is terrible, beyond terrible. Id rather have a return of John Zeiler or even giving a Jordan Nolan a chance before that useless plug if they really really felt they needed an agitator/fighter.
Agreed. Clune is not an NHL player. He was terrible last season. Just because the Kings lost a good player with toughness doesn't mean they need to bring up an awful player who is tough.

Call up Moller to replace Clifford's roster spot. Insert Richardson into the lineup and then decide whether you need toughness or not when playing Westgarth or Smyth. Right now there isn't much of a difference between the two.

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Brown - Stoll - Moller
Poni - Handzus - Simmonds
Richy - Lewis - Smyth or Westgarth

Closed Thread