HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Case for dealing Semin

Old
02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
CapsCast

vCash: 500
The Case for dealing Semin

I think it's a great idea; thought so last season, too.

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2011/02/...sha-semin.html

Will it happen?

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:12 AM
txpd

gary roberts type? generally poor playoff performance? this guys doesnt seem to know what he is looking at.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

No, it won't happen, for the same 2 reasons it didn't happen last year: No team is willing to pay retail for a player who is a KHL flight risk, and GMGM views the player as core.

The latter reason may be the stronger motivator for the team, but the former reason should be a good enough rationale for most fans.

Until you're prepared to take 60 cents on the dollar for a 1st line caliber player, there's no point in discussing the topic.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:33 AM
fsnoles98

LOL. What night are you getting .60 cents on the dollar??? The game Semin scores 3 goals or the 34 games the guy is invisible and is SCARED of physical contact?????

Please, this guy is a wasted roster spot on MOST nights. I not impressed when some one scores 8 goals in 4 games and then does nothing to contribute to the team for another 35 games.

TRADE HIM. No love lost here and no he is not worth 6 million!!!!

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:36 AM
sunnydaycrash

I like Semin( most nights) but the truth is in the salary cap era, Kuznetsov is worth way more to the Caps than Semin is.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Funkyalligator

Oh this is a total facepalm moment....any caps fan that thinks trading semin is a good idea must be on crack....the caps won't get a good return from him and since the issues with the caps involve the offense is it really that smart to trade one of the key offensive cogs, a great PK and defender? The only way semin should be traded is if it inolved a returning offensive player of equal scoring ability plus more otherwise we are just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I like Semin( most nights) but the truth is in the salary cap era, Kuznetsov is worth way more to the Caps than Semin is.
Kuznetsov may get even bigger contract after his ELC will expire. He may be not that good in the end, how do you know?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
LOL. What night are you getting .60 cents on the dollar??? The game Semin scores 3 goals or the 34 games the guy is invisible and is SCARED of physical contact?????

Please, this guy is a wasted roster spot on MOST nights. I not impressed when some one scores 8 goals in 4 games and then does nothing to contribute to the team for another 35 games.

Wow. What player do you watch. When semin isn't scoring goals he is our best pk forward, great at backchecking. He isan excellent skater so he avoids hits. Not scared of them. Not to mention he has the hardest wrister in the nhl. The caps have no one to replace him. He's is worth 6 in a long term deal. Not man players have his talent. His passing on the pp has injected some life back into it. Our grinders can't finish. Not his fault.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Funkyalligator

Not to mention, besides while semin has played on the wing with backstrom as his center when has he had a capable 2c to feed him? It's not like he has an issue finishing... It isn't his job to create the offense on the 2nd line that's the centers job.

Last edited by Funkyalligator: 02-25-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Unless the return is established 2C + established top-6 winger + futures, no reason to trade Semin. And I don't think teams are going to give that up for Semin.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Are you guys seriously mean that this thread should be closed so early in the morning?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Wow. What player do you watch. When semin isn't scoring goals he is our best pk forward, great at backchecking. He isan excellent skater so he avoids hits. Not scared of them. Not to mention he has the hardest wrister in the nhl. The caps have no one to replace him. He's is worth 6 in a long term deal. Not man players have his talent. His passing on the pp has injected some life back into it. Our grinders can't finish. Not his fault.
Also he is a bit on the ornery side and nasty. He is the one in the Flyer's series who first decided to bite back and then guys like Backstrom followed suit. That was in game 3.

Then we tilted the ice in game 4 and game 5 was one of the most physical caps performances I have seen in some time.

Semin brings far more to the table than just scoring. Works very hard defensively, great pker, angry SOB, and he's definitely one of our very best in the corners winning one on one battles.

This guy is highly underrated when it comes to other aspects of his game.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
CapsCast

Trade him. Talent-wise, he's worth $6,000,000. Effort-wise, he's worth about $600,000.

When Semin shows up, he's great. But so is Kovalev and he just got traded for a 7th round pick.

He seems to be an inconsistent headcase, just like Kovalev.

He takes terribly stupid penalties.

He gets hurt a lot.

No show in the playoffs.

Overpaid...

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post

This is an incredible example of willful blindness. I get the case for trading Semin, though I disagree, but to say he's scared of physical contact is ridiculous. Not to mention you're ignoring his PK and defensive game, and his elite playmaking.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Kuznetsov may get even bigger contract after his ELC will expire. He may be not that good in the end, how do you know?
Yep he may very well earn a bigger contract but as you indicated AFTER his ELC.
This kid may score between 20-40 goals per season in his 1st 3 seasons for under 1 million per season.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
Trade him. Talent-wise, he's worth $6,000,000. Effort-wise, he's worth about $600,000.

When Semin shows up, he's great. But so is Kovalev and he just got traded for a 7th round pick.

He seems to be an inconsistent headcase, just like Kovalev.

He takes terribly stupid penalties.

He gets hurt a lot.

No show in the playoffs.

Overpaid...
So wrong on so many levels:

1- He brings more to the table than just scoring. He is our best PKer and works hard.

2- He takes penalties of aggression trying to strip pucks. I'd rather have an aggressive player than a passive one.

3- He is definitely not a now show in the playoffs. He was our best player in 2 of 4 playoff series and if it was not for Halak's brilliance (and the fact that he had a 3 headed monster of SUCK centering his line) he would have put in 6 or 7.

4- Overpaid? 40 goal scorers with ppg+ ability don't go for cheap. He's better than Gaborik for instance and his pay is on par with a player of his ability. Another comprable is Vanek and Semin is a superior player to him and makes less.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Millhaus

Personally I don't even think of trading him until you put him in the best position to succeed on a regular basis and he still exhibits the same problems. So move him back to his best position on the left and get him a decent centerman to play with regularly.

If you do all that and he is still wildly inconsistent in his play then fine look to move him.

If they can't find that centerman then switch Semin with Ovechkin and let Ovechkin carry a line all by himself for a while and see how that goes.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Trading him now is a terrible idea. Just terrible. What's this team's biggest problem been this year? Scoring.

He's their second best goal scorer. Ovy and Backstrom will get even less room to operate if Semin's gone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
CaptainKonoForever

This team is having a pretty difficult time scoring goals but yeah, lets trade our second best goal scorer.....

You guys shouldn't drink so early in the day.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:37 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I say trade him....just to see the show here.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
No, it won't happen, for the same 2 reasons it didn't happen last year: No team is willing to pay retail for a player who is a KHL flight risk, and GMGM views the player as core.

The latter reason may be the stronger motivator for the team, but the former reason should be a good enough rationale for most fans.

Until you're prepared to take 60 cents on the dollar for a 1st line caliber player, there's no point in discussing the topic.
This scares me.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I say trade him....just to see the show here.

I am kind of on board with the idea for that reason only and I want Schultz included in the deal also and maybe even Green.

The team isn't entertaining me on the ice so they might as well entertain me off the ice...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
txpd

agreed. trade semin, green and schultz in the same trade for some gritty forward then follow that up with mcphee letting boudreau go. mcphee can go behind the bench himself which clears the way to firing him after the season.

the new gm can then take the caps in a new direction. he can move backstrom or ovechkin to get some roster/salary cap flexibility. the rebuild thru the draft will be fun.
kuznetsov and orlov in the opening night roster along with eakin and johansson. the caps will lose but will work hard and be fun to watch. oh, the good ole days.

can't wait for those post lose comments on the gdt from the winning side about how the caps will be a good soon and how lucky we are.

Old
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
This scares me.
scares you how? you dont like semin and wish he wasnt core or you actually dont think he's core? pretty obvious that he is and has been core since the beginning of the rebuild.

Old
02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
CaptainKonoForever

This thread is too funny. Lets trade Green, Schultz, and Semin?

You guys are nuts.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote