HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs. Devils 3/18/2011 7:00 PM EST

Old
03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
We still need a goal song like the Blackhawks had/have last year.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Too bad Subban overshadows him and gets all the attention for rookie D Men. Johnny should start mouthing off, diving, embellishing, whining, acting like he has accomplished something without actually doing anything, and go after veteran players when they touch him the wrong way. Then Carlson will be on everyone's mind
I think he could do all that, and still get overlooked for Subban, unfortunately..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

check out the devils caps GDT on the devils board. pretty good stuff in there if you like the friday jokes

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
2 points and the GDT streak lives.
Save it for the playoffs.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:26 AM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
We still need a goal song like the Blackhawks had/have last year.
If we use Beat That Beat as our goal song for the entirety of the playoffs, we would surpass the Hawks and their accursed Chelsea Dagger as most annoying goal song in the league.

And I'm ok with that.

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:34 AM
HockeyFanLand
HFBoards Sponsor

Washington put New Jersey's playoff hopes to bed.

Check out my NHL fan blog: hockeyfanland.com
HockeyFanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
I think he could do all that, and still get overlooked for Subban, unfortunately..
i am not sure that subban overshadows carlson for calder votes. the main difference is montreal doesnt have star players. the caps cup runneth over. their is a primary difference between the two. subban has needed to be scratched multiple times. carlson not. calder winners dont take healthy scratches.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanLand View Post
Washington put New Jersey's playoff hopes to bed.
Why do you say that? NJ has 11 games left and is only 6 points out. They still have a good chance.

Capsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 07:55 AM
txpd

good? what is your definition of good?

Old
03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Why do you say that? NJ has 11 games left and is only 6 points out. They still have a good chance.
Define good. They are 6 points back with 11 games to play and 4 teams to climb over and the team at the top of that has a game in hand.

If the Sabres grab 50% of the points they have left to play for the Devils can only drop 3 points over their remaining games to finish with 1 more point. And it isn't like NJ has a cake schedule for the run in.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Save it for the playoffs.
but but but i dont wanna!

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:52 AM
ForzaItalia

So what's the latest word on Green, Varly, Arnott and Fehr?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
They're brokedededededededed

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Legit question: There is no doubt the team is trapping. At one point I saw three caps lined in a wall at the neutral zone and the two defenseman behind them. I personally have no problem with it, so it's not a complaint at all, it's smart defensive hockey AFAIC. But you guys in the Nation's Capital are so used to run and gun hockey, especially the last four years. The style you're playing now will win in the playoffs, of that I have no doubt.

So my question is, as a fan, even though the style is boring, would you trade it for winning? Or are you content with the run and gun?

Good luck the rest of the way, you guys have a stellar team, I see another 1st overall in the East this year and actually, a run to at least the ECF.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Legit question: There is no doubt the team is trapping. At one point I saw three caps lined in a wall at the neutral zone and the two defenseman behind them. I personally have no problem with it, so it's not a complaint at all, it's smart defensive hockey AFAIC. But you guys in the Nation's Capital are so used to run and gun hockey, especially the last four years. The style you're playing now will win in the playoffs, of that I have no doubt.

So my question is, as a fan, even though the style is boring, would you trade it for winning? Or are you content with the run and gun?

Good luck the rest of the way, you guys have a stellar team, I see another 1st overall in the East this year and actually, a run to at least the ECF.
Most just want the cup and don't care what style gets us one. We had an adjustment period because we got used to scoring so easily and we've had the opposite this year. I think most realize that this style of hockey will pay bigger dividends come playoff time.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:04 AM
The Viking Fury

The smart ones just want the cup. The bandwagoners "boo" and get mad at the games when the caps don't score 5 goals in a period or outplay teams such as the lightning by holding the puck and forcing them out of their system.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Regardless of our trap style defensive play, we still have the personnel to light up the opposition when the opportunity arises. While we are playing a boring system, it's not like we're doing it with career 4th liners.

In short, the excitement is still there. It's just not quite as often as it used to be.

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Foy

I don't care what style we play as long as
A. We win
B. Jagr isn't on the team

Holtby sent down today.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:20 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
varly is said to be playing next week.
arnott probably wont play til the next home game.
green...who knows
fehr....no idea

Old
03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
txpd

Quote:

the unrest has come from ovechkin becoming a 30 goal scorer and backstrom a 60pt player among other things. those players fall off has little to do with the change in style. yea, past seasons Ov would be looking to pad his stats and now he is playing red line and dump it in.

ovechkin seems to have found his game of recent. a lot of us are comforted by that. if the pp becomes more like itself, i will feel better. interesting that the league doesnt think the caps need power plays.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:32 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

This goes to the core of "what are you in it for as a fan", I think. It's always a subject that I've found somewhat fascinating.

I mean, logically, people should be paying to be entertained, whether that's physical play or run and gun or sniping or playmaking or whatever you like in the game, that's what you should be watching for more or less. The fans don't get their names on the Cup, there's no glory in it for them, so from that standpoint it seems like people should really prefer a team that's fun to watch vs. one that's got a better chance of winning it all.

But of course that's not remotely how sports fandom works. There's too strong an emotional connection to the team, the players, the fellow fans, and the other fanbases. How many people want to see their team win a little bit more just to throw it in a rival fanbase's face? Or to see that one veteran finally get his name on the Cup? Or to justify to themselves years of following a team and finally get that payoff?

People want to be entertained, but sports fandom goes deeper whether it should or not.

Then again, fandom doesn't equal attendance. If the team gets too hard to enjoy watching you could easily see people, even legitimate fans, decide to cut back on how many games they attend. Easy to save the cash and root from afar when sitting through a game (even a win) isn't all that fun.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Foy

I would say Holtby going down today means Varly is ready to go.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:09 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I would say Holtby going down today means Varly is ready to go.
Yup. Good news for us, good news for the Bears. Holtby is going to dominate the AHL to an even greater extent with the confidence to know that he can literally be the best player in the NHL in for a given week of play.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Midnight Judges

Anyone else find it odd that the Devils GDT has several pics of teenage girls?

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Funkyalligator

Yup I'd have to think that a long Calder run will be great experience for holtby like it was for neuvy. On another note 25% of holtby's wins in Hershey are shutouts.

In relation to the game last night...while the caps only got 13 shots on goal and no pps....they had several more scoring chances were a player blew an edge, pass just missed or the shot was shanked...none of which is indicated by the stats. To say the devils completely out played the caps is just wrong.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote