HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Devils 3/18/2011 7:00 PM EST

Old
03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
Is the fact that he almost made the team out of camp related to the fact that the A wasn't an option?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I think that played a part in it. It was also a situation where his goal-scoring production made it a more tempting idea than his all-around readiness really warranted. Tough to send a kid down when he was showing up on the score sheet regularly.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ive said this before, but it bares repeating. poti is damaged goods. i think its as likely that his groin puts him on LTIR next season as it is that he is available to play. who is going to trade for poti until he has proven he can play? what are the chances that he plays again this season so that he could be traded in the off season?

i think mcphee has already indicated that he has ways of working it out that he can retain hannan.
With the overpayment for defenseman during the 2010 Free Agent period, the resigning of Poti before he went UFA and before his injuries was viewed as him taking a home town discount. Caps trying to unload him now after he had signed the "home town discount" may not be viewed favorably by other players either currently on the team or who at some point in the future may be thinking of signing with the Caps. Hopefully Poti recovers from his injuries. That being said, I would prefer the Caps moving the likes of Schultz and Chimera say for Ottawa's prospect defenseman Jared Cowen.

Of course all of this with the caveat of resigning Hannan.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
With the overpayment for defenseman during the 2010 Free Agent period, the resigning of Poti before he went UFA and before his injuries was viewed as him taking a home town discount. Caps trying to unload him now after he had signed the "home town discount" may not be viewed favorably by other players either currently on the team or who at some point in the future may be thinking of signing with the Caps. Hopefully Poti recovers from his injuries. That being said, I would prefer the Caps moving the likes of Schultz and Chimera say for Ottawa's prospect defenseman Jared Cowen.

Of course all of this with the caveat of resigning Hannan.
Its a business. If players don't decide to come here it won't be because we traded a guy who took a 'home town discount'. If anything players would command a NTC instead of completely deterring away from us.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

You know what else deters people from signing? No cap space because you have an albatross contract.

03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
You know what else deters people from signing? No cap space because you have an albatross contract.
What do you have, a video of Poti torturing puppies?

Old
03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
What do you have, a video of Poti torturing puppies?
Nope, just one of him playing hockey

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Its a business. If players don't decide to come here it won't be because we traded a guy who took a 'home town discount'. If anything players would command a NTC instead of completely deterring away from us.
Perhaps, but if I'm Brooks Laich it may make me reconsider 3.5 for 4 years with the Capitals or 4 mil for 4 years with a team like Ottawa. Hey its a business right, so why should Laich want to sign a home town discount and not try to get the most by signing with the highest bidder, especially after just seing how they dealt with Tom Poti. In reality there is some loyalty that players have to a team and vice versa.

Old
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Nope, just one of him playing hockey
Must be in black and white because that's how long it's been since he's played.

Old
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Perhaps, but if I'm Brooks Laich it may make me reconsider 3.5 for 4 years with the Capitals or 4 mil for 4 years with a team like Ottawa. Hey its a business right, so why should Laich want to sign a home town discount and not try to get the most by signing with the highest bidder, especially after just seing how they dealt with Tom Poti. In reality there is some loyalty that players have to a team and vice versa.
What exactly did the team do to wrong Poti? They gift-wrapped a contract for him before the season even started, if anything he wronged the Caps vote of confidence in him.

OT: I was opposed to re-signing Poti from the get-go, at the least before even playing a game this year.

Its certainly within Laich's right to seek the highest contract possible if he so desires. That being said I have a hard time believing that he'll go to a middling team with no aspirations of the playoffs strictly for money. If we offer fair market value, he takes it without hesitation imo.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:52 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
What exactly did the team do to wrong Poti? They gift-wrapped a contract for him before the season even started, if anything he wronged the Caps vote of confidence in him.

OT: I was opposed to re-signing Poti from the get-go, at the least before even playing a game this year.

Its certainly within Laich's right to seek the highest contract possible if he so desires. That being said I have a hard time believing that he'll go to a middling team with no aspirations of the playoffs strictly for money. If we offer fair market value, he takes it without hesitation imo.
Only if he misled them in regards to his health. Otherwise not much to blame him for in signing an extension.

Now they may have discussed this eventuality, if both sides realized that the injury issues might come up. Maybe they gave him the extension with the warning that it might result in waivers, or an extended LTIR stay. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Can't imagine that Capitals even entertaining an extension for Poti if they knew of a pre-existing health issue that existed with Poti that could result in LTIR. The Capitals signed Poti to the deal in September right on the tail of the summer free agent period that included major overpayment for defensemen. Though Poti's 33 yo he took a pay cut of 675K from what he's currently making to resign with the Caps for another two years because he believed the Caps have a good chance of winning the SC. The Belanger matter this past summer was probably not a great PR moment for GMGM as far as dealing with FAs and their reps., and trying to quickly rid themselves of Poti I don't think will help.

Let me qualify all of this with that I was not a fan of the Poti resigning at the time and what has occurred since has only reenforced my original feelings regarding the resigning.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Bananas

Poti is dead weight at this point and needs to be cut loose by hook or by crook.

Check mate.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Poti is dead weight at this point and needs to be cut loose by hook or by crook.

Check mate.
Wow! The "What have you done lately" mob are at the castle gates with their pitchforks and torches.