HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather:Renney is the right guy/Renney=Rebuilding

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Sather:Renney is the right guy/Renney=Rebuilding

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Tom Renney was one of the driving forces behind the Rangers' about-face in February, when they finally junked their big-name, big-money ways and started selling off assets and prepared to rebuild around youth.

Renney has been preaching almost since he arrived with Sather in the summer of 2000 that the Rangers needed to get younger and hungrier.

If there's a 2004-05 season, Renney will seemingly have to work with a similarly inexperienced lineup. Sather reiterated the team's stance of not overpaying for free agents as it has so many times in the past

"Some of these guys we'd talked about, there was an offer on the table and they'd sign with us if we matched it or exceeded it," Sather said.

Former Ranger Matthew Barnaby, who signed with the Blackhawks, is also in that group. "But that's not the direction we're going."

Renney said he will conduct a search for assistant coaches. Terry O'Reilly will not return and Ted Green will stay in the organization in another capacity. McGill, who has an offer from Sather to coach the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack next season, is being considered for an assistant's spot.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Ted Green will stay in the organization in another capacity
Look a new curly hairded, older gentleman manning the turnstyles at MSG next season.

Am I to understand the McGill is not under contract for next season?

Old
07-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Look a new curly hairded, older gentleman manning the turnstyles at MSG next season.

Am I to understand the McGill is not under contract for next season?
That's correct, McGill's contract has expired.

Old
07-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
That's correct, McGill's contract has expired.
Which is why there are reports of him becoming an assistant coach with the big club.

Old
07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Which is why there are reports of him becoming an assistant coach with the big club.
i would rather have him be the head coach in the AHL, considering if there's a lockout that's where all of our good young players are going to be.

Old
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
i would rather have him be the head coach in the AHL, considering if there's a lockout that's where all of our good young players are going to be.
I would guess that that is a large reason why Renney got the job and not McGill.

Old
07-07-2004, 01:24 PM
NYR469

this article says that mcgill has been offered a new contract as hc in hartford...so he'll be either in ny or hartford

Old
07-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
Believe me, what you said there is exactly what i've been preaching all over this board. So I agree with you 100%. It's just that a lot of people on this board are affraid of losing him to another team unless we give him a position with the big club. It has also been rumored that they would make him an assistant....

Closed Thread