HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney Named NYR Head Coach!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
This move restores my faith in Sather. As usual he took the easy way out. And if there is a season, the organization is in a holding pattern. Other teams are moving forward, the Rangers are just running in place, allowing the threat of a lockout to dictate their actions.
Yep, exactly what i was saying at the beginning of the post. He's lazy, he'll take short cuts where ever he can find them...what a joke....

Old
07-06-2004, 02:21 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Yep, exactly what i was saying at the beginning of the post. He's lazy, he'll take short cuts where ever he can find them...what a joke....
Actually, it's more than that. Sather still thinks that he is the best judge of talent and tactics in hockey. He brings people in who agree with him--which only reinforces the same view. There's no one in his organization who is honest enough (and willing to lose their jobs and possibly blacklisted in the hockey world) to go to him and tell him his choice(s) are bad or inappropriate.

I hope Renney can at least hire assistants that he is comfortable with.

Old
07-06-2004, 02:42 AM
NYR2

Quote:
Actually, it's more than that. Sather still thinks that he is the best judge of talent and tactics in hockey.
Too bad he doesn't know that he isn't the best at anything. One of us should tell him, I nominate myself.

Old
07-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
using Renney's record as the NYR head coach is pretty useless IMO. yes its a terrible record, but what did he have to work with? the team was bad to begin with, then it got gutted. Renney had very little to work with. as a matter of fact i bet it was Jagr that won those 5 games!

Old
07-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Actually, it's more than that. Sather still thinks that he is the best judge of talent and tactics in hockey. He brings people in who agree with him--which only reinforces the same view. There's no one in his organization who is honest enough (and willing to lose their jobs and possibly blacklisted in the hockey world) to go to him and tell him his choice(s) are bad or inappropriate.

I hope Renney can at least hire assistants that he is comfortable with.
It's just another Puppet for Sather...

Old
07-06-2004, 04:02 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
using Renney's record as the NYR head coach is pretty useless IMO. yes its a terrible record, but what did he have to work with? the team was bad to begin with, then it got gutted. Renney had very little to work with. as a matter of fact i bet it was Jagr that won those 5 games!
until the press conference happens and questions are asked and the media weigh in on their opinions etc...the ONLY glimmer of hope i see out of this right now for renney is that he'd have a full offseason and training camp to put his ideas together for the team. it's hard and difficult for a coach to take over a team, especially a young one, during a season and have success. ron wilson in san jose and claude julien in montreal took over their current teams in the middle of the 2002-03 season and proceeded to suck. that's what made bob hartley's job with atlanta that same season seem so impressive. same goes for darryl sutter in calgary. but look at last season for those guys and you see what gameplanning can do for you.

however, i'll be honest also and say i fear the worst in all of this...and if what i fear comes true, i will not support this team in any way or form until sather's gone.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:05 AM
True Blue

I'm of 2 minds on this one

First and most obvious is the fact that the worst enemy of the NYR is Glen Jackass Sather. Once again he goes with a yes-man. Once again, he goes w/ a croony. Once again, he goes with a coach whom he can control.
Renney was an utter joke in his coaching stint in Vancouver. Wasn't it was his "system" that the Rangers were supposed to be playing last year? After Sather deserted ship, wasn't it Renney who continued to play Leetch & Poti together? Wasn't it Renney, who after the deadline has passed, continued to play Holik together with Jagr? Wasn't it Renney, who after the Rangers were mathemetically eliminated, continued to play Hlavac 20+ minutes a night on a line with Holik & Jagr, when there was really no point in even dressing the clown anymore?
The only silver lining in all of this is that this ensures that we will have a lottery pick in the Crosby sweepstakes.
The only other thing that I can think of is that Jackass pretty much assumes the worst about next year. And if there is not much of a season, if at all, he would rather have McGill in Hartford, where the majority of his future team will be, for next year and then promote him after that. I think that all signs still point to McGill being the coach of the future. But that future will not start for at least one more year.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Wasn't it was his "system" that the Rangers were supposed to be playing last year?
It was also supposedly Renney's system that won him a couple of championships in juniors and that was played at Hartford the past two years.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
L.I.RangerFan

The hiring of Renney as the head coach tells me quite a few things.

1. There is a very good possibility that every other experienced coach turned down the job.

2. Ryan McGill wanted the job and will eventually get the job but with the uncertainty of next season, will either coach the Wolfpack for the full season or if play ever begins with the NHL will be the assistant/associate coach of the Rangers.

3. As this move was not unexpected the most important part will be who is hired as assistants. If McGill stays on as associate/assistant he can run the defense, but a full time goalie coach is a necessity.

4. Renney's forte is developing youth. He is retaining the title of VP of player development. Sather has trusted his judgment at draft time and he has drafted some very good prospects. Renney did an excellant job with Kamloops of the WHL and with the Canadian Junior team.

5. Look down the road a little bit. Between Renney, McGill and Fotiu they are now responsible for developing a core group of young players whose POTENTIAL is very good. Look for the signings of young players to begin now. Maybe some younger F/A's or a few experienced character players to help in developing the youth. I do not believe you will see any big name signings.

6. In my opinion this is not the end of the world for Ranger fans or for next season. I do believe that this shows the Rangers are committed to developing a young team because that is Renney's strength.

7. Look at the names that have the potential to be in Hartford next year.

Goalies - Montoya, Blackburn, Labarbara

Defense - Tyutin, Pock, Kondratiev, Lampman, Liffiton, Baranka, Taylor, Guenin, etc.......

Forwards - Balej, Jessiman, Jonasen, Hollweg, Wiseman, Olver, D. Moore, G. Moore, Helminen, Ortmeyer, etc.....

With Renney retaining the VP title he still has alot of control over player development and with or without an extended lockout, Hartford is the key to the future.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Fletch

Is coaching a full-time job?

if Renney's retaining his other job, he will not be putting forth the time needed to be an effective coach. That's one problem I have with the hiring.

I wasn't impressed with the system Renney instilled upon the Rangers. Renney preaches a defense-first system, and for all intents and purposes, last year's system was his and the defense sucked, as usual. Further, from what I can remember, it was he who ran the practices and effectively was, at worst, a co-head coach last season. So while I 100% agree you can't look at his record as head coach with any meaning, I think he was a good-deal responsible for last season's outcome.

I do like the way Renney talks, but unfortunately I have little confidence in him backing up that talk. Renney's experience as a head coach is limited. Like McGill, he's had some success in the WHL. He's had some international experience too and his NHL experience isn't too impressive. McGill at least has a couple years under his belt as an AHL coach, and last season coached a team that was superier defensively. He remains, in my opinion, a better-qualified candidate to run the Rangers bench.

It's disappointing that with so much that has transpired over the last few months that someone who was a big part of such a crappy team is now going to be heading the 'rebuild'.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
It was also supposedly Renney's system that won him a couple of championships in juniors and that was played at Hartford the past two years.
And that has translated to what at the NHL level? And are you saying that Renney put all the pieces in place in Hartford and McGill is just cashing in? I think not. Let's not forget that the Pack's primary reason for being is to develop players capable of playing in the NHL, not to win Calder Cups. Add to that the fact that Sather/Renney played a system (?) that was not relative to what was played in Hartford. Isn't your top minor league team supposed to be in sync with the parent club?

Old
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
little a from da bx

i went straight to the post reply to say horrible, just another guy sather can boss around i dont care what anyone says that little ear piece we will see in renneys ear is sather telling him what to do. a ken hitchcock or queneniville would not let that happen nor larry robinson, thats why there not here cause no one wants to deal with sather ********, no players will come here either it has nothing to do with rebuilding plenty of guys would like to go to a squad rebuilding and be a leader for young guys.... long story short no one wants to play for sather... holik cant stand the guy thats why he dont want to be here nothing to do with rebuliding , the devs were always young....

Old
07-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
And that has translated to what at the NHL level? And are you saying that Renney put all the pieces in place in Hartford and McGill is just cashing in? I think not. Let's not forget that the Pack's primary reason for being is to develop players capable of playing in the NHL, not to win Calder Cups. Add to that the fact that Sather/Renney played a system (?) that was not relative to what was played in Hartford. Isn't your top minor league team supposed to be in sync with the parent club?
As a matter of fake, it was said that the Rangers and the Pack both played the same "system." Davidson brought it up quite a few times during the season. "They're able to just plug guys in from the minors Sam, because they play the same system down in Hartford Sam." "Yes they do JD...IT'S A POWER PLAY GOAL"

Of course, we all know the "system" didnt work at all on the NHL level, but they tried to do the samething as Hartford.

Old
07-06-2004, 07:05 PM
True Blue

Quote:
As a matter of fake, it was said that the Rangers and the Pack both played the same "system." Davidson brought it up quite a few times during the season. "They're able to just plug guys in from the minors Sam, because they play the same system down in Hartford Sam." "Yes they do JD...IT'S A POWER PLAY GOAL"

Of course, we all know the "system" didnt work at all on the NHL level, but they tried to do the samething as Hartford.
Yes the big club & Hartford played the same system. However, the difference is that Hartford played it CORRECTLY. The Rangers did not. McGill ran Hartford. Renney helped run the Rangers. McGill ran the system and made adjustments to the system to help his team. Renney did not make one adjustment between any 2 periods all year didn't try anything new. Did Sather prevent him from making adjustments? McGill's players were backchecking and clearing the crease. Why? Becuase McGill & Fotiu made it clear from day 1 that you are either going to play their way or you are not going to step a toe onto the ice. Under Sather & McGill, players could do what they wanted to and not be afraid of any benchings. Did Sather prevent Renney from benching players?
It should not be a coincedence that any time players were called up from Hartford, not only did they step right in, but they played the "system" better than the ones who were on the big club. Even career minor leaguers like Andy McDonald looked at least competent and defensively responsible on the ice. Players like Nycholat & Lampman at least knew not to run around the defensive zone like chickens with their heads cut off and how to clear a rebound.
So the question is this. If Hartford played the "system" the correct way and the NYR played it the "incorrect way", why did Renney never say anything? Did McGill just change his system to make it fit what works in today's NHL, or did Sather not pay attention to what Renney was trying to implement?
I think that McGill's teams played every game, every shift hard, becuase it was clear that it was him and Fotiu that the players would answer to. Becuase they knew that if they did not play right, then they would not play. I also think that he either tweaked Renney's so-called system or changed it outright.
Either way, Renney is not the man for a job of being coach. Howver, if next year is cancelled or just shortened, why not allow McGill to coach those players that will make up half his team when he takes over in a few years?

Old
07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Yes the big club & Hartford played the same system. However, the difference is that Hartford played it CORRECTLY. The Rangers did not. McGill ran Hartford. Renney helped run the Rangers. McGill ran the system and made adjustments to the system to help his team. Renney did not make one adjustment between any 2 periods all year didn't try anything new. Did Sather prevent him from making adjustments? McGill's players were backchecking and clearing the crease. Why? Becuase McGill & Fotiu made it clear from day 1 that you are either going to play their way or you are not going to step a toe onto the ice. Under Sather & McGill, players could do what they wanted to and not be afraid of any benchings. Did Sather prevent Renney from benching players?
It should not be a coincedence that any time players were called up from Hartford, not only did they step right in, but they played the "system" better than the ones who were on the big club. Even career minor leaguers like Andy McDonald looked at least competent and defensively responsible on the ice. Players like Nycholat & Lampman at least knew not to run around the defensive zone like chickens with their heads cut off and how to clear a rebound.
So the question is this. If Hartford played the "system" the correct way and the NYR played it the "incorrect way", why did Renney never say anything? Did McGill just change his system to make it fit what works in today's NHL, or did Sather not pay attention to what Renney was trying to implement?
I think that McGill's teams played every game, every shift hard, becuase it was clear that it was him and Fotiu that the players would answer to. Becuase they knew that if they did not play right, then they would not play. I also think that he either tweaked Renney's so-called system or changed it outright.
Either way, Renney is not the man for a job of being coach. Howver, if next year is cancelled or just shortened, why not allow McGill to coach those players that will make up half his team when he takes over in a few years?
Remember something...this was the same system that McGill and Fotiu had a hard time implementing the year before when Schoenfeld, McGill and Fotiu all felt there were too many selfish players that they had to remove. Once the obstacles in the locker room were gone, not surprisingly, McGill and Fotiu had an easier time of implementing the system. It would appear the big club just did the same thing at the trade deadline.

Old
07-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Amen to that!! well put. Just when i thought we started to take some steps in the right direction Sather goes and does this.... TOTALLY HORRIBLE MOVE. :mad:

Old
07-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
It's disappointing that with so much that has transpired over the last few months that someone who was a big part of such a crappy team is now going to be heading the 'rebuild'.
I completely agree. Same goes for his boss.

Old
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
BwayBshirt

actually just prior to the purging of the roster at the deadline, renney made some quotes that i read where he basically implied that some of the players at the time weren't playing the system correctly (possibly a few of the ones that were shipped out?)

Old
07-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Remember something...this was the same system that McGill and Fotiu had a hard time implementing the year before when Schoenfeld, McGill and Fotiu all felt there were too many selfish players that they had to remove. Once the obstacles in the locker room were gone, not surprisingly, McGill and Fotiu had an easier time of implementing the system. It would appear the big club just did the same thing at the trade deadline.
Very good point, and the fact that it took Hartford two years to get the system down should tell you maybe the NHL club needs another year. Lets see how things go this time with all the egos out of the room.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
1. There is a very good possibility that every other experienced coach turned down the job.

2. Ryan McGill wanted the job and will eventually get the job.
I think you're dead on with #1. I can't see a guy like Quennville showing even glimmers of interest in the job, then just rehiring Renney. IMO, anyone that was rumored to be a candidate would have been an upgrade. Again, Trottier remains the last man to actually accept a coaching job with this team.

With respect to #2, is that a dangerous card to play? Another successful stint with the 'Pack and McGill stands to draw a lot of interest for an NHL job, head or assistant coach. If you're weighing your options and it's working Sather or assisting (insert name of accomplished NHL coach here) with another team, well, just see #1 again.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
With respect to #2, is that a dangerous card to play? Another successful stint with the 'Pack and McGill stands to draw a lot of interest for an NHL job, head or assistant coach. If you're weighing your options and it's working Sather or assisting (insert name of accomplished NHL coach here) with another team, well, just see #1 again.

Could it be possible that McGill may actually WANT to wait around to get this job in the 05-06 season? I mean, he'll have a chance to lead a group of guys, most of which he has developed in Hartford. He knows all these guys, maybe he's comfortable with the system and the organization. Maybe it's possible he would perfer to wait around for one more year and take this job.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Could it be possible that McGill may actually WANT to wait around to get this job in the 05-06 season?
I'm just saying, if he's a FA coach at the end of next season, Sather won't be the only one making him offers. Is this going to be the best one?

Old
07-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
I'm just saying, if he's a FA coach at the end of next season, Sather won't be the only one making him offers. Is this going to be the best one?
well, like i was saying...there are a few intangibles here that we may have in our favor...and plus, if he's our man, why wouldn't we be able to offer him as much as anyone else is willing to offer him (money wise)

Old
07-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
our man
I think if "our man" wanted and deserved the job, then I wouldn't have given it to Tom Renney.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
I think if "our man" wanted and deserved the job, then I wouldn't have given it to Tom Renney.
That just brings us back to the argument of the reasoning behind the Renney hiring. The way i look at it, McGill will caoch this team after this upcoming season.

Closed Thread