HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Lars Eller thread

Old
03-18-2011, 12:16 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

vCash: 500
Official Lars Eller thread

Minus a few inches...

He is becoming a fixture for that 3rd center line role and down the road Gomez's replacement.

I haven't been impress by a rookie this way in years.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I think Eller is more creative and will end-up producing more than Staal, while being less physical and imposing than Staal is.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Minus a few inches...

He is becoming a fixture for that 3rd center line role and down the road Gomez's replacement.

I haven't been impress by a rookie this way in years.
Not even by Subban?

Imho he'll be better for us than Jordan ''most overrated player in the last decade'' Staal is for the Penguins. Eller will likely take over the 2nd line before Gomez's contract is over.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
ScopeHockey

That's actually not a bad comparison.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
shamrun

i guess the organization got a good player for halak. I like the way he holds onto the puck as he breaks into the zone forcing other players to collapse on him and then he finds a way to dish the puck off to a winger. man if only gomez could get going we would be so effective.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

He'll be a nicer and better Mike Richards, but without the C.

Disclaimer: I'm new to the Habs and hockey in general, so I am somewhat ignorant.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
He'll be a nicer and better Mike Richards.

Disclaimer: I'm new to the Habs and hockey in general, so I am somewhat ignorant.
Just admitting this makes you better than 95% of the posters around here.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MarkovsKnee

I love Eller. That kid has some serious upside and could develop along the lines of Henrik Sedin or at minimum Tomas Plekanec. He's European and they take longer to develop. It took Henrik 4 NHL seasons to hit 75 points.

Eller already has a pretty solid defensive game. And, his stickhandling is just beautiful to behold. Definitely a centre. He displays so much more confidence and drive at that position over the wing.

Eller, Pacioretty, Subban and Price are the young core of this team going forward. Pleks is the wily veteran. I've never been so happy with the youth on this team. These guys are talented.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kboum

Quote:

Are you a Baltimore Ravens fan ? I just saw you are from MAryland. Welcome to the Montreal fan base.

I'm a big Ravens fan I've been to Baltimore 2 years ago so thats why I'm asking.

To answer the question, I think Eller will be our Alfredsson. He has more offensive skills than Staal... less physical and less gritty than Richards. He's a great addition to our team.. Gotta love the trade

Halak vs Schultz - Eller and Price

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:27 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:

You probably shouldn't compare him to Mike Richards... at least anywhere else but the Habs boards. Although they might compare to be similar players, I don't see Eller ever getting to Richards' level

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think Eller is more creative and will end-up producing more than Staal, while being less physical and imposing than Staal is.
Agreed. Eller is more creative and more 'slick'.

I actually think that Eller may be a poor man's version of Henrik Sedin in terms of skill and creativity and a poor man's version of J.Staal in terms of physical and defensive play. Add those two together and you have a nicely rounded player.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
LeMAD

No I don't see it. Staal is excellent defensively, is a lot stronger physically than Eller. But Eller is more skilled and should be better in every offensive aspects.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
neofury*

I've actually been thinking about the comparison for a while now, quite surprised a lot of people disagree. I see him potentially being a heavy producer but less imposing as Staal is. Still a very solid 2nd line center who can step up to the 1st line role maybe, but I don't want to get ahead of myself here. Very excited to see what this guy can do in the future. He's looking more now like the player he will become.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboum View Post
Are you a Baltimore Ravens fan ? I just saw you are from MAryland. Welcome to the Montreal fan base.

I'm a big Ravens fan I've been to Baltimore 2 years ago so thats why I'm asking.

To answer the question, I think Eller will be our Alfredsson. He has more offensive skills than Staal... less physical and less gritty than Richards. He's a great addition to our team.. Gotta love the trade

Halak vs Schultz - Eller and Price

Redskins fan, actually. But, I won't talk trash about the Ravens [for a while]. They've accomplished more recently than the 'Skins and know how to build a good team. Also, almost every owner in the league is more respectable than Dan Snyder.

I was a Caps fan, but somehow, the playoff performance of the Habs would not let me go, and the Pittsburgh win on opening week sealed the deal. I have no regrets.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Eller can top out as a first line center. Call me crazy if you wish, but there's just something about this kid. Fantastic attitude, great personality, slick moves, he's strong (going to get stronger), fast, smart, never gives up on a play. What's not to like?

I wonder how long it is before he becomes a fixture on our PK.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
You probably shouldn't compare him to Mike Richards... at least anywhere else but the Habs boards. Although they might compare to be similar players, I don't see Eller ever getting to Richards' level
Of course I wouldn't. This is one of the few times I feel like "drinking the Kool-Aid" with regards to a hockey player. Also, I edited in that I don't think Eller deserves the "C" like Richards.

Ah, dreams of Patches-Eller-Power RW tearing up the league next year as our first line. The Kool-Aid tastes GOOD.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:39 PM
guest1467

When you look back on this trade a few years from now, everyone is going to be giggling at how much it was scrutinized.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
saints96

Eller reminds me more of Miko Koivu more than anything else.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Daft1

hmm european center with good hands and a great attitude? shades of saku?

Daft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Halifaxhab

I actually see him as being comparable to Kesler. A defensively responsible centre that can play in all situations and has offensive skill. He has a similar build to Kesler and can possibly pull off 75-90pts in a season once he has played 2 more seasons. He definately is showing us that Gomez's time in Montreal is likely coming to an end very soon....YIPEE!

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
He'll be a nicer and better Mike Richards, but without the C.

hey, so why did you become a habs fan? Great choice, but surprising - especially with Ovechkin in your own backyard

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I would say he is more of the Hejduk mould in terms of his style of play, although a bit taller and he'll probably end up a little stronger.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
hey, so why did you become a habs fan? Great choice, but surprising - especially with Ovechkin in your own backyard

He is obviously a MENSA member, in amazing physical shape and a model....like all other HABS fans!!!!

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
guest1467

Why must we compare him to anyone. Eller is Eller. An extremely promising 3rd liner, that brings great depth and flexibility to a position we have been weak in for the last decade.

I will say it right now, the reason why we are such a strong team this year despite all the injuries is because we have excellent center depth. Plekanec, Gomez, and Eller, and even Halpern, are all solid two way centers.

Love the foresight of PG with this trade.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
neofury*

Holy ****, to the guy that said Kesler, even if he becomes half a Kesler I'd be thrilled. If he became a true rich mans Kesler one day.... St. Louis got hosed if that's the case.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote