HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Lars Eller thread

Old
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Miko Koivu clone

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
From my Prospects' magazine...! Eller's style was compared to Peter Forsberg.

I'm hoping he'll end up something like Forsberg (emphasis on ''something like''). Solid two-way player.

Eller comparisons (for style, skating): Forsberg, M.Koivu, Zetterberg.

No matter...50 pt player, 60pts, 70pts+ player...it looks like he has a lot of heart and I always like that. This should mean that he will be a warrior in playoffs.

I'm still so glad GM Gauthier made the right decision (not listening to many fans who wanted Halak to stay). And we got 2 special players in Eller and Schultz. I'll always remember those playoffs when Halak helped our Habs upset Pitts and Wash, but Price has been my favorite since the day he was drafted.

We need Schultz...now!! I hope he'll get some games next year with the big club. Especially when we're facing the biggest sore losers/cry-babies in the NHL: Boston and Philly (2 teams that violently injure opponents when they lose...happens quite often). I'm also hoping we can somehow add a Chris Neil type (but only if the price is right...I don't want Gauthier overpaying).

Go Eller Go!! (so good for our depth, and he may be the player that finally gets A.Kosts going!! I'm not a fan of his Andrei's inconsistencies, but he's looks solid with Eller).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

I'm still so glad GM Gauthier made the right decision (not listening to many fans who wanted Halak to stay). And we got 2 special players in Eller and Schultz. I'll always remember those playoffs when Halak helped our Habs upset Pitts and Wash, but Price has been my favorite since the day he was drafted.

We need Schultz...now!! I hope he'll get some games next year with the big club. Especially when we're facing the biggest sore losers/cry-babies in the NHL: Boston and Philly (2 teams that violently injure opponents when they lose...happens quite often). I'm also hoping we can somehow add a Chris Neil type (but only if the price is right...I don't want Gauthier overpaying).

Go Eller Go!! (so good for our depth, and he may be the player that finally gets A.Kosts going!! I'm not a fan of his Andrei's inconsistencies, but he's looks solid with Eller).
Uhh are we talking about the same Schultz? This guy gets so overrated because he's slightly big and displays some aggressiveness, its not even funny anymore... Wait before he does anything before saying he's special, because right now he's a dime a hundred player... Conboy is ahead of him, Schultz is probably a few years away from the NHL at best.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Wayne Gretzky.

That's it.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
SB164

Eller's backchecking and control of the puck in the D-zone is an indication that his game on the defensive side definitely coming along.

I think they are grooming him into a Plekanec-type player, which is great. But Eller's size and his deking abilities (to go along with his speed and hitting ability) suggests that if he does reach his full potential, he'll be a better player than Pleks. Mikko Koivu is a good comparison given, especially given their similar body type.

One part of his game that I think Eller will have to work on is his shot. Pleks is a great example of a playmaker who's developed a quick underrated shot to round out his game.

Oh and if there is one player who I truly wish Eller can become similar to, it would Washington's Nicklas Backstrom.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
Eller reminds me more of Miko Koivu more than anything else.
This.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

What i don't get is how we got so much in Eller for a 1B goalie that was going to be a UFA anyways ! :O

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

You can't do much with little icetime. Plus certain linemates weren't best for him to showcase his skills... For example, AK's bull in a china shop style of bringing the puck up the ice permited him to focus much more on using his full offensive arsenal. Eller helped AK tremendously by creating clever plays that led to goal.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

he's going to be exactly like *insert blonde centre's name here*!!!1!1

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
What i don't get is how we got so much in Eller for a 1B goalie that was going to be a UFA anyways ! :O
Halak: I'm quite sure he was supposed to be a RFA (they would not have given Eller for a soon-to-be UFA goalie,imo, maybe Schultz only, but not Eller AND Schultz).

-------------------- -------------------- ----------------------------------

Schultz and Conboy...
Schultz: I'm not getting too over-excited...I'm just hoping he gets some games next year with the big club. I've only seen a few seconds of him so I'm only basing it on what I've read!!
Same goes for Conboy...hope he gets some games next year with the big club.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-19-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Not sure if serious...

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Not even by Subban?

Imho he'll be better for us than Jordan ''most overrated player in the last decade'' Staal is for the Penguins. Eller will likely take over the 2nd line before Gomez's contract is over.
In regards to expectations. Subban was quite the blue chip prospect - we were expecting him to be as good as he is. Eller although a quality prospect is IMO showing he can exceed expectations.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This is a site based on hockey prospects, if you don't like people talking about 'upside' and 'potential', you're probably in the wrong place.
I agree with your comment on Mr. Neg. And believe me, I am Mr. pessimistic.

Why not Eller? The Kid is damn good for his age, let's cheer him on.

The Habs are due a breakout kid, and Eller may be just that in 2 years...

So cheer up Mr. Neg, Geez.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Wayne Gretzky.

That's it.
Thanks for your fascinating contribution to the discussion. Knob.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Kriss E

I believe Eller is a bigger Plekanec with better stickhandling. He's already stepping up defensively, so I can only imagine how good he'll be in a few years with added muscles.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:55 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
he's going to be exactly like *insert blonde centre's name here*!!!1!1
Haha. Everybody's like "eller [picture of a blonde third line center] and staal [picture of a bigger blonde third line center]...yeah, great comparison!" but let's be honest, if Jordan Stall had rastas, this thread would have never existed.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Not sure if serious...
Didnt check before posting but was he going to be an RFA or UFA ? Even if he was an RFA it was a good deal to get Eller for a 1B goalie. We will look back on this trade in years and be very happy.

Old
03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This is a site based on hockey prospects, if you don't like people talking about 'upside' and 'potential', you're probably in the wrong place.
There is a difference between talking about upside and potential, and putting ridiculous expectations on a rookie.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Didnt check before posting but was he going to be an RFA or UFA ? Even if he was an RFA it was a good deal to get Eller for a 1B goalie. We will look back on this trade in years and be very happy.
I LOVE Eller. LOOOVE the guy. I've been pimping him ever since he was drafted and I've been unbelievably happy with the way he's been playing from day one. I see this kid being a star for us and a #1 center for a long time.

My issue with your previous post was with the fact that you're underrating Halak and his value at the time of the trade. I think you're right about us getting the better end of the deal, but you have to go back to when the trade was made. Halak didn't look like a 1B goalie at the time. He singlehandedly beat the two best teams in the East which had amongst the deadliest snipers in the game. The kid was on top of the hockey world and the only reason he was traded in the first place was because we had Price on the sidelines. We can argue about Halak's actual skill set, but Gauthier traded him when his value was at the highest, so getting back a top prospect (especially one who had yet to play a full season in the NHL) was a reasonable price.

Also, we need to take into account the fact that Eller was the 4th center on the Blues depth chart. Berglund and Oshie are both under 25 and are further along in their development, so Eller wouldn't have been given a decent chance on a scoring line. Eller was, to some extent, expandable for the Blues who badly needed a goaltender.

All I'm trying to say is that, regardless of what simpleminded Habs fans thought at the time, the trade was fair for both teams. We got a young skilled center and they got a goalie for the future. If there's one thing to be learned here I think, is that trading for a goalie will always be more of a gamble. Still, I'm sure if you'd ask both GMs about the trade today, they'd do it again every day of the week.

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

I see Eller as a slightly bigger Daniel Alfredsson if he pans out.

Complete game, great hands, a lot of heart, leadership qualities, over average offensive skills.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Pascal

I liked Eller after only a couple of games played. Even back in October you could see he has a lot of potential. I guess comparing him to previous rookies we've had, I could notice certain things that they wouldn't do.

For me the way he gained the zone in a game this week and deeked a guy and tried to go for the net, that was the real sign that this kid is now confident and matured a lot since game 1.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
I love Eller. That kid has some serious upside and could develop along the lines of Henrik Sedin or at minimum Tomas Plekanec. He's European and they take longer to develop. It took Henrik 4 NHL seasons to hit 75 points.

Eller already has a pretty solid defensive game. And, his stickhandling is just beautiful to behold. Definitely a centre. He displays so much more confidence and drive at that position over the wing.

Eller, Pacioretty, Subban and Price are the young core of this team going forward. Pleks is the wily veteran. I've never been so happy with the youth on this team. These guys are talented.
This times 1000! I never gave up on Eller he gets better and better all the time. The Youth is amazing on this team!

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There is a difference between talking about upside and potential, and putting ridiculous expectations on a rookie.
I'm not seeing many people saying ' I expect him to be this good, or that good, or as good as this guy', i see a lot of people saying that they see him as having a similar play style or upside/potential to reach the level of certain NHL'ers.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Staal is only on the 3rd line because he's behind Malkin and Crosby.

Staal is probably better than Eller in every way. So, I guess you could call Eller a poor man's Jordon Staal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Staal is only on the 3rd line because he's behind Malkin and Crosby.

Staal is probably better than Eller in every way. So, I guess you could call Eller a poor man's Jordon Staal.
Right now yea. In the Future no. Well probably not.