HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stafford's goal pace

Old
03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Bounbi

vCash: 500
Stafford's goal pace

Hi Buffalo fans,

Do you think Stafford goal pace could be maintained next year? Is he really a 35-40 goal threat if he plays 82 games or he's just playing over is head this season (I noticed a unreal goal stretch form him last a month ago).

So what kind of upside has he in the long term?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bounbi: 03-18-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Bounbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:22 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Stafford has as much upside as anybody in the league. He's big, fast, has great hands/stick skills, and isn't afraid to go to the net.

That said, his commitment to being as good as he can be will come into question until he proves it over a longer period of time, but it terms of talent, he definitely has the ability to be a premier goal-scoring forward.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Assuming he plays a full season I'm pretty confident he'll put in 30+ next season. 35-40 is definitely in his potential, but I'm not quite ready to say he'll be there just yet next year.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

It's really going to all come down to maintaining the attitude with that guy. I have an intuitive feeling that he has turned the corner and the maturation process really began last summer when he trained his tail off. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a contract year abberation. (I hope!)

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I just hope he plays a full healthy season next year.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Bounbi

What kind of minutes is he supposed to play? Top line? Second line?

Thanks for the answers!

Old
03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Lindy Ruff doesn't typically run a normal line system (i.e. 20 for line one, 18 for 2, 12 for 3, 10 for 4--ish).

That said, he'll play 15-20 a night including 3-5 on the PP on our "second" scoring line.

He's looked really good with Ennis at times, as well, which is great for both of them.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounbi View Post
What kind of minutes is he supposed to play? Top line? Second line?

Thanks for the answers!
Lindy spreads out the ice time amongst the top nine line pretty evenly. The player he used the most was Derek Roy and he would rarely get over 18 minutes of ice time. He'll get 16-18 minutes a game most nights.

He'll definitely be in the top six, but you're really splitting hairs with "first line" and "second line". He's a first line quality player, but Ruff doesn't have such distinctions really. Rarely do players finish the game on the same line they started on

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I'm guessing this is fishing for a fantasy league? I would say you could steal him late in a draft if that is the case. Definitely worth keeping on your radar. It's hard to say what will happen with him this off-season, seeing as he could either be trade bait for a #1 center, or Pominville goes instead and he gets bumped up to the #1 slot in Pommer's absence. Then again, Lindy is notorious for line up bingo, so classifying him as a first line or second line guy is kinda hard to do. Most people here agree that if he continues the way he has, he will be a solid 30-30-60 guy.

Edit: haha 3 posts all saying the same thing. I <3 this subforum.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Bounbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
I'm guessing this is fishing for a fantasy league? I would say you could steal him late in a draft if that is the case. Definitely worth keeping on your radar. It's hard to say what will happen with him this off-season, seeing as he could either be trade bait for a #1 center, or Pominville goes instead and he gets bumped up to the #1 slot in Pommer's absence. Then again, Lindy is notorious for line up bingo, so classifying him as a first line or second line guy is kinda hard to do. Most people here agree that if he continues the way he has, he will be a solid 30-30-60 guy.

Edit: haha 3 posts all saying the same thing. I <3 this subforum.
You guess right! It's for a keeper league, and I'm evaluating the possibility to trade for him. I always thought his potential was underestimated but I wanted to know for sure.

I really like the way the Sabres play, so I would also like to cheer for a couple of them in a playoff race, very exciting!

So I hear his future with the Sabres is uncertain?

Old
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounbi View Post
You guess right! It's for a keeper league, and I'm evaluating the possibility to trade for him. I always thought his potential was underestimated but I wanted to know for sure.

I really like the way the Sabres play, so I would also like to cheer for a couple of them in a playoff race, very exciting!

So I hear his future with the Sabres is uncertain?
He's an RFA at the end of the year. If he doesn't end up signing a 2+ year contract I'd be absolutely shocked.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Bounbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
He's an RFA at the end of the year. If he doesn't end up signing a 2+ year contract I'd be absolutely shocked.
Does people see him signing a long term deal? He could really be a bargain at 4M$ with Connolly going.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:30 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I think I see him staying, it's just that there are so many possibilities this summer that Sabres fans have never even considered. With new ownership, the sky is potentially the limit. I would honestly say it would be worth your time to consider the trade, so long as the price isn't ridiculous.