HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

AHL to essentially test new rules for NHL

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Clash*

vCash: 500
AHL to essentially test new rules for NHL

AHL approves rule changes

Quote:
The American Hockey League’s Board of Governors has approved the implementation of the following rule changes, effective beginning with the 2004-05 season:

In a delayed offside situation, the offending player(s) will be permitted to negate the offside by “tagging up” with the blue line. This rule was in effect from 1986-96 and will enable more flow in the forechecking aspect of the game while reducing the number of stoppages.

“Automatic icing” has been implemented, with icing infractions to be called and the play whistled dead when the puck crosses the goal line.

Goal lines will be moved from 13 feet to 11 feet out from the end boards, and blue lines will be moved back accordingly to maintain a 60-foot attacking zone. This will increase the size of the neutral zone and reduce play behind the goals.

The width of the blue lines and the center red line will be increased from 12 inches to 24 inches each, and passes will be permitted from the defensive edge of one blue line to the offensive edge of the other blue line, adding additional space to the neutral zone

The maximum width of goaltenders’ leg pads will be reduced from 12 inches to 10 inches, creating additional scoring area for shooters.

The AHL will also implement, for the first seven weeks of the 2004-05 regular season, a limited test of a rule restricting the areas where goaltenders may play the puck. This is a step designed to increase offensive opportunities without wholly eliminating a goaltender’s ability to assist his defensemen. Following the completion of the test period, the AHL will evaluate the results and determine whether the rule’s application will continue.
NHL lookin for a test run and after recently sayin new rules would be put on hold until after a new CBA, sine they're expecting the lockout to last more than the season. The upcoming AHL season should be interesting with the amount goalies that may be destined for the NHL's next season (Auld, Lehtonen, Emery, Miller to start namin a few) and seein how they handle the new measurments and rules.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Street Hawk

Hopefully it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
AHL approves rule changes

NHL lookin for a test run and after recently sayin new rules would be put on hold until after a new CBA, sine they're expecting the lockout to last more than the season. The upcoming AHL season should be interesting with the amount goalies that may be destined for the NHL's next season (Auld, Lehtonen, Emery, Miller to start namin a few) and seein how they handle the new measurments and rules.
It will be interesting to see how the goalies deal with the handling the puck restriction. To me, it's a tough choice between this rule or letting goalies be fair game. Both have their pros and cons.

Limited Puck play:
PRO: more forechecking and sustained pressure.
CON: Dmen might be worn down, plus a few plays where a offensive chance would have occurred would be negated. But, the number of additional offensive chances outnumber the occurances of great breakout passes by goalies

Fair Game Goalies:
PRO: Keep goalies in the net
CON: Players will gun for the goalies. Make no mistake about it, there are players in the game who would take a goalie out in this situation. I mean, the goalies are so used to the protection, it will take time for them to adjust to moving the puck quicker. Before, the goalies had all the time and knew that players would either do a flybye or slow down if they get too close. But, now, they're coming in full blast which will eat up that extra second, and if the puck were to bounce on the goalie, look out. Too much money is invested in the goalies to risk having them taken out.

Old
07-06-2004, 12:27 AM
puckstrike2k

Send a message via AIM to puckstrike2k
Great!

I love all these rule changes, except for the "no touch icing" and the rule restricting goalies to play the puck. It's about time tag up offsides was brought back and the red line has essentially been removed allowing for long "cherry picker" type passes and plays, which is great for opening up the game.

The "no touch icing" just cheapens the icings for me. I like the few times that there is a race in a game for the icing.

I don't like restricting the goalies from playing the puck. What's the point of making a rule that hinders a skill a player has worked on and perfected? People also have to keep in mind that lots of offensive chances are created by goalies playing the puck well, or poorly.

Furthermore, if they did make goalies free game, I don't think many of them would "cringe in fear" of being hit. Goalies are a lot tougher then people give them credit for. I'm willing to bet Ron Hextall or Billy Smith would have taken checks in their day, and dished them right back.

Closed Thread