HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC 128: Your Pick(s)

Old
03-20-2011, 01:31 AM
xtr3m

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Probably but a lot of guys lose their first big title fight.
Youngest champion ever. He's 23.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:38 AM
luongoisdaman

Shogun, in soccer jargon, was outclassed by a long margin. Jones didn't even look tired after the win...

luongoisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Blane Youngblood

Well, you win some and you lose some...Jones kicked Shoguns ass.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Shogun, in soccer jargon, was outclassed by a long margin. Jones didn't even look tired after the win...
The post-fight interview looked a bigger challenge. How depressing for Shogun, but you could tell he wasn't 100%. It still wouldn't have mattered.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:47 AM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Ricky View Post
The post-fight interview looked a bigger challenge. How depressing for Shogun, but you could tell he wasn't 100%. It still wouldn't have mattered.
Haha, yeah. Was Shogun going into the fight with an injury? He didn't look right from the get go.

luongoisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Haha, yeah. Was Shogun going into the fight with an injury? He didn't look right from the get go.
Coming off an injury and long lay-off. He hasn't fought since last May. He's had problems coming back from injuries in the past and today looked to continue the trend. But, yeah, fighting Jon Jones was the bigger impact on that.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
This is probably going to blow up in my face, because it's a pretty tough main event to get a read on, but I'm curious what everyone thinks will happen in the main event -- or other fights, if you're inclined, though most seem, on first glance, not all that difficult to gauge.

I'll go first. I think Shogun destroys Jon Jones, probably some time around the 3rd or 4th round. He'll use his leg kick (almost 2800 pounds of force if you've seen the ESPN science of sport video) to slow Jones early, then move inside the pocket with almost reckless abandon. He'll wear him down with the clinch and eventually tag him with a right hook against the cage.

40% chance I'm completely and horribly wrong and Jon Jones tosses Shogun around and submits him, but I'm sticking with my guy
Uh, well, I was close to being 40% right. Thought Jones would have a chance to toss Shogun around, but I really didn't think it would be that easy. I'm disappointed Shogun didn't even test Jones.

Might be time for Anderson Silva to move up

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
VanEric

Aside from how impressive Jones looked, I couldn't help but think there's a crushing KO coming in his near future. He does a lot of the stuff Urijah Faber used to do before it got him knocked out. Jones tries a lot of unorthodox stuff because he's so athletic and he's fearless but he also appears to be reckless at times.

He's also always going to be a bit vulnerable to armbars because of his length.

I'd be surprised if he loses to any of the current top 205'ers but if he does, I won't be floored if he gets KO'd after missing some crazy spinning elbow or if he gets caught in an armbar because he's a little careless.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:13 PM
xtr3m

"Just hours before the winning the UFC Light Heavyweight Title Jon Jones and his trainers chased down a robber who broke into a woman's car."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/20...uspect-in-park

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Aside from how impressive Jones looked, I couldn't help but think there's a crushing KO coming in his near future. He does a lot of the stuff Urijah Faber used to do before it got him knocked out. Jones tries a lot of unorthodox stuff because he's so athletic and he's fearless but he also appears to be reckless at times.

He's also always going to be a bit vulnerable to armbars because of his length.

I'd be surprised if he loses to any of the current top 205'ers but if he does, I won't be floored if he gets KO'd after missing some crazy spinning elbow or if he gets caught in an armbar because he's a little careless.
His striking isn't great, but his reach is so long that he can use kicks and jabs to keep people off of him. If Rashad comes in pushing the double leg from the opening bell, he might have a chance to put Jones on his back and soften him up a bit. Still, I don't think Rashad has the gastank to keep that up for 5 rounds.

The guy that might knock Jones out is someone with very precise striking, like Anderson Silva. Silva also wouldn't be afraid to make Jones bring the fight to him, regardless of what the fan reaction was.

If Rampage's wrestling returned to earlier form (3-4 years ago form) he'd have a decent shot of putting some GNP on Jones, but Rampage has looked bad off his back the past couple of years, meaning he probably wouldn't have the durability to win the fight.

Jones presents a lot of style matchup issues, but all it takes is someone finding the right exploit to open him up. Might take awhile though.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
His striking isn't great, but his reach is so long that he can use kicks and jabs to keep people off of him. If Rashad comes in pushing the double leg from the opening bell, he might have a chance to put Jones on his back and soften him up a bit. Still, I don't think Rashad has the gastank to keep that up for 5 rounds.

The guy that might knock Jones out is someone with very precise striking, like Anderson Silva. Silva also wouldn't be afraid to make Jones bring the fight to him, regardless of what the fan reaction was.

If Rampage's wrestling returned to earlier form (3-4 years ago form) he'd have a decent shot of putting some GNP on Jones, but Rampage has looked bad off his back the past couple of years, meaning he probably wouldn't have the durability to win the fight.

Jones presents a lot of style matchup issues, but all it takes is someone finding the right exploit to open him up. Might take awhile though.
True. But Jones is only 23 years old As long as he continues to be motivated, he will only get better (eg. his striking) and should take more calculated risks. This guy has all the right tools (and has shown so much already) to be "Silva" dominate.

I agree. Silva would be a hand full for Jones. But who wouldn't

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Uh, well, I was close to being 40% right. Thought Jones would have a chance to toss Shogun around, but I really didn't think it would be that easy. I'm disappointed Shogun didn't even test Jones.

Might be time for Anderson Silva to move up
Silva has moved up. Several times. He has went back to Middleweight for several title defense's. He walks around at about 225-230 so fighting LW is fairly natural. Judging by his destruction of Griffin it might be more suitable. Jones is the only person I feel that can end Silva's run.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Silva has moved up. Several times. He has went back to Middleweight for several title defense's. He walks around at about 225-230 so fighting LW is fairly natural. Judging by his destruction of Griffin it might be more suitable. Jones is the only person I feel that can end Silva's run.
I meant permanently move up. Dana White reportedly told Anderson to stay at 185 unless he's willing to A) move up permanently and vacate the middleweight title, and B) fight his friends if they are also in the 205 title picture.

Old
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Ill make sure to have my Ed hardy and Afliction gear on for this one, also gonna put extra gel in my faux hawk.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessVillain View Post
Ill make sure to have my Ed hardy and Afliction gear on for this one, also gonna put extra gel in my faux hawk.
Your joke is a day too late and embarassingly unoriginal. You fail worse than Shogun!

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote