HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 72 | Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators | 8:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) |

Old
03-20-2011, 10:12 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
I thought Howard was every bit as good as Rinne last night. He had some issues controlling some rebounds, but covered up his mistakes pretty well. Doesn't hurt that we can't hit the broad side of barn shooting 2 feet from it.

the holmstrom goal, while technically correct (they paused the play on the megatron and his skates were in the crease when Rinne bumbed him) it was garbage. Should have counted.

I don't know how wing fans generally feel about him, but how damn tough is eaves? He bit the big dog in Weber and Weber about murdered him, but to take the heavy slapshot and miss what, a shift or two and return raised my level of respect for him. Don't like the guy, but damn, a tough dude.

and whoever said it was a boring game wasn't paying attention. almost 80 shots between the teams, tough, tight checking, speed all through the neutral zone all night, amazing saves. I don't know what more you want to see.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:18 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
well didnt think they had a good chance beating Preds but they came close this time. I just dont think Preds are a good match up for Wings.

it will be extremely hard to advance any round this playoffs for any team in western conference.. maybe except Canucks.
Wings needs to do some tweaking in the offseason:

Questionmarks:
Lidstrom

Goodbye:
Modano, Draper, Osgood, Salei.

"Wishful-thinking-goodbye":
Holmstrom, Hudler, Miller, Ericsson

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:35 AM
MissNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
February 28th against LA.
People seem to forget about that game. Probably trying to forget how nasty that road trip ended up being.

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Booyah!

What bothered me more was the lack of fight in this team, over an 82 game season you'll get outscored. But O'Brien was running around and even challenging Bertuzzi 4x? And not one response, that is our "nuclear deterrant"? lol. Eaves get's his head knocked off by Weber and not one Wings player does anything about it. Abdelkader gets his head taken off and not one Wings player is on O'Brien's face. I know this team has no fighter, but it's almost like they condone it with their actions. Teams just manhandle them and they do nothing about it. Let's just say it, this team is the softest team we've had here in years.

Last edited by Booyah!: 03-20-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Booyah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah! View Post
What bothered me more was the lack of fight in this team, over an 82 game season you'll get outscored. But O'Brien was running around and even challenging Bertuzzi 4x? And not one response, that is our "nuclear deterrant"? lol. Eaves get's his head knocked off by Weber and not one Wings player does anything about it. Abdelkader gets his head taken off and not one Wings player is on O'Brien's face. I know this team has no fighter, but it's almost like they codone it with their actions. Teams just manhamdle them and they do nothing about it. Let's just say it, this team is the softest team we've had here in years.
New year, same story.

Its disheartening watching your team take cheap shots like that and no one do a thing.

Ive been saying for years the Wings need to get tougher.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
hahaha! lol the Nashville fans saying 'Howard you suck!!"
Funny the Detroit fans sitting next to me at the game last night said the same thing.....he is 31st in Save % and 29th in GAA

Last edited by sarcastro: 03-20-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: edited deleted quote
randymc2641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:49 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I disagree and i think my opinion is more accurate
Excellent retort.

You must be right based on that irrefutable evidence.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
mizunox

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Funny the Detroit fans sitting next to me at the game last night said the same thing.....he is 31st in Save % and 29th in GAA
...and tied for first in the category that counts: wins.

mizunox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunox View Post
...and tied for first in the category that counts: wins.
You don't win games in the playoffs with a 90-91sv% and a 2.7-3.2GAA

Old
03-20-2011, 01:28 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah! View Post
What bothered me more was the lack of fight in this team, over an 82 game season you'll get outscored. But O'Brien was running around and even challenging Bertuzzi 4x? And not one response, that is our "nuclear deterrant"? lol. Eaves get's his head knocked off by Weber and not one Wings player does anything about it. Abdelkader gets his head taken off and not one Wings player is on O'Brien's face. I know this team has no fighter, but it's almost like they condone it with their actions. Teams just manhandle them and they do nothing about it. Let's just say it, this team is the softest team we've had here in years.
Couldn't agree more. What a lot of people don't understand is that, even though there isn't much fighting (if any) in the playoffs, guys get away with a lot more of the stuff we saw tonight because the refs just don't call it, for whatever reason. Someone has to stand up for these guys because they're obviously not up to the task. We need a veteran agitator/tough guy that can play on the 3rd or 4th line, a guy like Steve Ott.

Edit: I'm not implying that we needed someone to "fight" last night, we need a guy that's willing to pull some dirty gorilla **** on the other team. I know some of us take pride in the fact that the Wings are bunch of nice guys and all, but in hockey you need one or two dirty mother****ers to win. We have ZERO right now. I wish that man was Todd Bertuzzi, but after what he went though I can't even blame the guy for not wanting to engage in that kind of thing. We need a Kirk Maltby, Dallas Drake, Darren McCarty, Steve Ott, Chris Chelios, Max Talbot etc. type of player.

Last edited by crashman: 03-20-2011 at 01:42 PM.
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:48 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
You'd rather play Nashville then Chicago in the playoffs? Chicago has worse goaltending. Woould be scared of Nashville with Rinne.
They out-work Detroit almost every time we play them. I know people don't like to use this as an excuse (myself included) but in this case, I think it is true: the 6 games Nashville plays against Detroit are their 6 most important games of the season, for the coach, the players, and their fans. But at the end of the day that **** is irrelevant, the Wings have to find a way to out-will a team, it's something I haven't witnessed much at all recently.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Sadekuuro

Basically, we have a team that needs to "win now" (with a soon to be 41 year old captain and #1 defenseman with no heir apparent) that doesn't seem to give a **** about winning now.

I'm no motivational speaker, but that seems like a problem.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Basically, we have a team that needs to "win now" (with a soon to be 41 year old captain and #1 defenseman with no heir apparent) that doesn't seem to give a **** about winning now.

Enh. I don't see an effort problem. I see a health problem. Further, the Wings are never in 'win now' mode. They are in 'try and win now without obliterating the future' mode. The Hawks were in 'win now' mode last year, as an example.

Detroit's set up in such a way that they can be a consistently competitive team for quite a while moving forward as long as they don't make any more Hudlerian mistakes with contracts. There's no real organizational window to worry about yet.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post

This is what lidstrom should do before important games... not very lidstrom-like but still

Last edited by mindfly: 03-20-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old
03-20-2011, 03:11 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
You don't win games in the playoffs with a 90-91sv% and a 2.7-3.2GAA
2010 Niemi: 16-6 2.63gaa .910sv%

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
2010 Niemi: 16-6 2.63gaa .910sv%

Bottom line is:
Chicago last year looked like 07/08 wings, and vancouver this year looks like wings 07/08....

Old
03-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Sedinery2011

I just watched the game highlights...was that Rafalski rolling Miller off the ice when he took a Webber slapper on his hand?? ...and didnt Rafalsi do that earlier this season too to another team mate? lol ...maybe it was another player but hilarious either way. Miller looked peeved too.

rift?

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinOwnage2011 View Post
I just watched the game highlights...was that Rafalski rolling Miller off the ice when he took a Webber slapper on his hand?? ...and didnt Rafalsi do that earlier this season too to another team mate? lol ...maybe it was another player but hilarious either way. Miller looked peeved too.

rift?
it was kronwall rolling eaves off the ice. I thought eaves looked pissed as well

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Sedinery2011

looks like I got all the names wrong . havent been able to watch enough Wings games lately. Wednesday is gonna be a good game I hope.

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote