HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather Bandwagon..

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2004, 09:28 PM
  #1
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Sather Bandwagon..

Call me crazy, but right now i am putting one foot on the old Sather bandwagon. Everyone in the organization is saying the right thing, and up until this point, doing the right thing as well.

Anyone with me?...comments please.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
  #2
Pass-the-Puck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
The wagon has square wheels and the horses are dead...

Pass-the-Puck is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:48 PM
  #3
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Call me crazy, but right now i am putting one foot on the old Sather bandwagon. Everyone in the organization is saying the right thing, and up until this point, doing the right thing as well.

Anyone with me?...comments please.
I was walking behind the wagon...contemplating getting on... until he hired renney... i just ran the other way. FIRE SATHER!! (never gonna happen, but a man can hope, right??)

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
  #4
vbox81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
As Fotiu wrote, I'm walking along side it, eyeing a spot that I see open. At this point, I comfortable seeing where its heading, but unsure what turn it takes at the next fork.

Wow, that sounds so philosophical.

vbox81 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:27 AM
  #5
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
As Fotiu wrote, I'm walking along side it, eyeing a spot that I see open. At this point, I comfortable seeing where its heading, but unsure what turn it takes at the next fork.

Wow, that sounds so philosophical.
Better make up your mind soon, or else the wagon's gonna be all full, or completely empty.

And yesm that does sound very philosophical, lol. Straight from Plato.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:28 AM
  #6
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Better make up your mind soon, or else the wagon's gonna be all full, or completely empty.

And yesm that does sound very philosophical, lol. Straight from Plato.
dude if somebody posts on this board they are already on the rangers bandwagon.

if you like sather or not everybody here wants to see the team climb out of this mess.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:29 AM
  #7
vbox81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
dude if somebody posts on this board they are already on the rangers bandwagon.
On the Rangers bandwagon I've been through Hell. I'm not sure if I'm ready to let Sather hitch his cart back up.

vbox81 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 05:28 AM
  #8
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,085
vCash: 873
There's nothing that Sather can do at this time

to get me to even kick the tires to his bandwagon.

He's eaten ice cream for 4 years while the garden faithful have suffered, he's finished in my eyes.

Any success will be in spite of him, not because of him.

F Sather!

pld459666 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 05:31 AM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,085
vCash: 873
and I don't mean FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
to get me to even kick the tires to his bandwagon.

He's eaten ice cream for 4 years while the garden faithful have suffered, he's finished in my eyes.

Any success will be in spite of him, not because of him.

F Sather!

pld459666 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 06:25 AM
  #10
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
dude if somebody posts on this board they are already on the rangers bandwagon.

if you like sather or not everybody here wants to see the team climb out of this mess.


This is exactly right. Whether its Slats or Neils Smith or Joe Bob Briggs, I just want to see the Rangers pull away from this.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:56 AM
  #11
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,780
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
to get me to even kick the tires to his bandwagon.

He's eaten ice cream for 4 years while the garden faithful have suffered, he's finished in my eyes.

Any success will be in spite of him, not because of him.

F Sather!
Indeed. There is little that Sather can do to get me on his bandwagon. Regardless or who's fault it is, this team has failed to qualify for the playoffs every years since he's been here and only now is showing signs of moving in the right direction.

The man traded Brian Leetch and Adam Graves; things he should have never been allowed to do (and he was all set to trade Richter as well). Those things overshadow everything else.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:03 AM
  #12
Blueshirt13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Other side of the Ri
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Indeed. There is little that Sather can do to get me on his bandwagon. Regardless or who's fault it is, this team has failed to qualify for the playoffs every years since he's been here and only now is showing signs of moving in the right direction.

The man traded Brian Leetch and Adam Graves; things he should have never been allowed to do (and he was all set to trade Richter as well). Those things overshadow everything else.
I agree completely. With everything Sather has done to the organization in the past, even if he ended up building this organization into a dynasty for years to come, I could never ever jump on the bandwagon.

what he did to Leetch, to Graves, to York... someone get him on the corner of 23rd street and offer a little push please.

Blueshirt13 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:16 AM
  #13
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,129
vCash: 500
No bandwagoner here...

I wasted a few thousand dollars and a lot of time out of my life the last four years on Sather products and am not convinced that he is the right guy to lead a rebuild, nor do I fully believe, yet, that he is committed to a rebuild. This should've started four years ago (as a beginning). Granted, him having vets on his roster who were coming up on UFA this season was a gamble that may ultimately pay off (either they make the playoffs, or they trade everyone away for prospects and picks), but it was too late.

This team currently has more prospects on it than I can ever recall seeing. Problem is, there are so few ready to step-up now and we have to rely on the fact that Sather drafted better than he's ever drafted the last four seasons. We tend to see 3-4 NHLers in almost each draft (not all top liners granted, but varying degrees of players). What are the chances?

Sather can never really right himself because of all the money that's been spent and the time that has passed. Four coaches in four seasons. Three coaches in two seasons. What is this, trial and error?

SBOB...Graves needed to be traded. Richter should've been traded. And Leetch is Leetch, and is still my second favorite player in the league, but I'm torn on the trade too. He really hasn't been there the last few seasons, although he should've been rewarded with a competent partner. Now with Poti here and at 26 (or 27 years of age), let's see if he gets a partner.

Fletch is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
  #14
neversummer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: L.I.
Country: United States
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Right now Sather is pretending he's on an Edmonton budget. When HE thinks we have some pieces in place, he'll start adding expensive Canadian UFa's for a run faster than you can say noonan. Just hope we get a few cups out of the deal before he flee's back up north w/ a fat wallet and a vanilla cone. Hoping he gets fired will just mean that we still suck. Put me on the wagon.

neversummer is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:47 AM
  #15
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,780
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
SBOB...Graves needed to be traded. Richter should've been traded. And Leetch is Leetch, and is still my second favorite player in the league, but I'm torn on the trade too. He really hasn't been there the last few seasons, although he should've been rewarded with a competent partner. Now with Poti here and at 26 (or 27 years of age), let's see if he gets a partner.
Did Graves really need to be traded? At the time we all thought he did. But now, why exactly did he need to be traded? The Graves trade was just a stereotypical smokescreen move by Sather (an illusion of rebuilding). I have to believe that Graves could have been just as effective on the third or fourth lines as some of the guys who have manned those positions (Jeff Toms, Josh Green, Mike Green, Sandy McCarthy, Chris McAllister, Dale Purinton, Oliwa, Donato, Tibbets, Dixon Ward, John Tripp, Grosek, Dawes, McKenna, Ciger, Johansson, Trent Whitfield). And he was a Ranger. And that has to count for something.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
  #16
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
IMO it was Graves time to go. We got some young players for him. Just because Sather mishandled those young players doesn't make it right to hold on to a player who was a shell of his former self. Remember we traded him to a San Jose Shark team that had a good shot at the Stanley Cup. They needed someone like Graves and I bet he was glad to get another shot at the SC, which would have never happened here.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,780
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
IMO it was Graves time to go. We got some young players for him. Just because Sather mishandled those young players doesn't make it right to hold on to a player who was a shell of his former self. Remember we traded him to a San Jose Shark team that had a good shot at the Stanley Cup. They needed someone like Graves and I bet he was glad to get another shot at the SC, which would have never happened here.
It does matter that Sather mishandled those players. It does matter that Sather made this move under the guise that he was rebuilding and cost-cutting when he did neither.

And if Graves was a shell of his former self it meant that he was no longer a first or second line player. It did not mean that he still had value as a mentor, leader and heart and soul player who personified that was good about being a Ranger. IMO you can never have too many players like that. Especially one as classy and loved as Graves.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
  #18
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,087
vCash: 500
Bandwagon?

More like pushcart.

klingsor is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
  #19
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,129
vCash: 500
I hear you Singin'...

and personally, it was tough seeing him go, but I did think it was time. I didn't think he was too effective. I thought his skating deteriorated, as did his physical play. Could he have played over those guys? Sure, but I didn't want to see those guys either. The fact that he didn't play in the NHL last season speaks to his game somewhat because I'm sure if a team though he could contribute, they would've signed him in a heartbeat.

And as a fourth liner...he actually showed short-lived spark as a fourth liner in his brief stint. But he wasn't a banger, didn't have much speed, and would only be a role model to look up to (a great one at that), but I thought it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, Sather was not consistent in his thinking about the team's direction and his assessment of players. Given what transpired and who ended up in a Rangers uniform, you're right, what he did to Graves was disgraceful and he should've remained a Ranger. If you're going to fill different positions at times with journeymen without given youth a chance in those positions, you might well as had Graves in a Rangers uniform because it would've been more beneficial.

Fletch is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 04:21 PM
  #20
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I agree completely. With everything Sather has done to the organization in the past, even if he ended up building this organization into a dynasty for years to come, I could never ever jump on the bandwagon.

what he did to Leetch, to Graves, to York... someone get him on the corner of 23rd street and offer a little push please.
You mean to tell me that if he turns this team into a dynasty for years to come, you still wont give the guy any credit?? Come on, it's not like he's been purposely killing our team for decades now. The guy hasn't even been in charge for all that long. He said himself that Dolan did not allow him to do what he really wanted to do when he first got here. Now he's got a free hand...lets see what he can do.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 04:36 PM
  #21
Blueshirt13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Other side of the Ri
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
You mean to tell me that if he turns this team into a dynasty for years to come, you still wont give the guy any credit?? Come on, it's not like he's been purposely killing our team for decades now. The guy hasn't even been in charge for all that long. He said himself that Dolan did not allow him to do what he really wanted to do when he first got here. Now he's got a free hand...lets see what he can do.
It was a bit of an exaggeration! But no, I am not anywhere near the Sather bandwagon nor do I expect to see myself on it any time soon. Turn the team around and into a competitor and the memories of what he did to this team over the past few years may begin to fade.

On a side note Balej20, I think its safe to say you will begin to compete with Prucha73 for the title of most frequent poster very soon.

Blueshirt13 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
  #22
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
The guy hasn't even been in charge for all that long. He said himself that Dolan did not allow him to do what he really wanted to do when he first got here. Now he's got a free hand...lets see what he can do.
If you believe that Dolan somehow forced Sather to trade for Lindros, Jagr, Bure, Carter, and Dunham, you are sadly mistaken. Dolan knows NOTHING about hockey. Not one blessed thing. He knows only what Sather tells him. The comment about how he was not allowed to rebuild is a crock. It came on Canadian airwaves becuase Sather was refusing to do any US interview because he knew he would get flamed.
Who was it that decided that Malacough was needed for more $$$ than Schnieder? Who was it that traded for a broken down Lindros? Any fool could have told you that a guy with 7 concussions is bound to get several more. How about who was it that traded for a one-legged Bure? How about trading for Jagr's contract and then deciding to have a rebuild one week latter?
Who was it that refused to hold any player accountable, unless they had options to Hartford? Who was it that insisted on playing a style of hockey that is impossible to play unless you have a 22 year old Gretzky AND Messier? Again any sucker could have told you that playing 1980's Edmonton hockey was impossible in today's NHL.
Under whose watch did the Rangers become the worst conditioned team in the NHL? Who was it that decided to let Jagr play with the team for no less than one week, before finally deciding to hold a practice? Who was it that routinely allowed the Captain of the team NOT to attend what little practiced the team did hold?
You want to absolve Jackass? Fine. However, have a little prespective. In his 4 years here, Jackass has managed to single-handedly set the organization back a decade.

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 05:11 PM
  #23
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13

On a side note Balej20, I think its safe to say you will begin to compete with Prucha73 for the title of most frequent poster very soon.
Lol yeah, i'm making a strong push..i was waiting for someone to comment on that. I just hope my posts are a little bit more intelligent and not as annoying to everyone. Please tell me if I'm becoming a nuisance.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
  #24
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
If you believe that Dolan somehow forced Sather to trade for Lindros, Jagr, Bure, Carter, and Dunham, you are sadly mistaken. Dolan knows NOTHING about hockey. Not one blessed thing. He knows only what Sather tells him. The comment about how he was not allowed to rebuild is a crock. It came on Canadian airwaves becuase Sather was refusing to do any US interview because he knew he would get flamed.
Who was it that decided that Malacough was needed for more $$$ than Schnieder? Who was it that traded for a broken down Lindros? Any fool could have told you that a guy with 7 concussions is bound to get several more. How about who was it that traded for a one-legged Bure? How about trading for Jagr's contract and then deciding to have a rebuild one week latter?
Who was it that refused to hold any player accountable, unless they had options to Hartford? Who was it that insisted on playing a style of hockey that is impossible to play unless you have a 22 year old Gretzky AND Messier? Again any sucker could have told you that playing 1980's Edmonton hockey was impossible in today's NHL.
Under whose watch did the Rangers become the worst conditioned team in the NHL? Who was it that decided to let Jagr play with the team for no less than one week, before finally deciding to hold a practice? Who was it that routinely allowed the Captain of the team NOT to attend what little practiced the team did hold?
You want to absolve Jackass? Fine. However, have a little prespective. In his 4 years here, Jackass has managed to single-handedly set the organization back a decade.
Nah, all i was getting at is that Dolan did infact want Sather to reach out and aquire star power, due to his fear that Ranger fans would not stand for rebuilding (which he is completely wrong about, IMO). You are 100% right, Dolan knows JACK about hockey and i wish he would sell this team.. Personally, i feel he did have a hand in this organization for the past few years. But yes, sather can be blamed for most of it.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
  #25
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Lol yeah, i'm making a strong push..i was waiting for someone to comment on that. I just hope my posts are a little bit more intelligent and not as annoying to everyone. Please tell me if I'm becoming a nuisance.
IMO you have definitely surpassed prucha for most posts, but i think the majority of your posts are good posts. You express your opinion and solicit feedback rather than insist you're always right. And you're polite, which will always help your cause (i'm still trying to learn that one)

Fotiu22 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.