HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Offseason: Would you trade Edler for Weber?

Old
03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
CM-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
Yes, Weber is a top 3 dman in the league. The most underrated on HF. If he didn't play for Nashville he would get Norris consideration.
I think it is debatable wheter he is top 5 in the NHL. I would rather have:
Chara, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty and that isn't mentioning the ageless wonder Nick Lidstrom.

Then there is the tier I classify him in with the Brent Burns', Alex Edler's, Kris Letang's, (and soon probably going to be joined by Pietrangelo/Yandle/Karlsson's (if they aren't one hit wonder's)

Weber isn't the #1 on his own team... He is a number 1 in the league yes is he a top 10 D in the league? Yes he is.

No one is dimishing him in this thread they are all saying he would be a great addition if we could get him. but not a the cost of arugably the best contract for a defenceman atm in the league in Alex Edler.

I think someone we should be eyeing that is a more likely possiblity then the dream of Shea Weber. Is Brent Burns one more year then he is a UFA. I think we could probably get him from Minny at a high cost of probably Ballard, Schroeder/Raymond, and a pick. Maybe it's just me but a Edler-Burns pairing is a lot scarier then an Edler-Weber pairing (except on Point shots).

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM- View Post
I think it is debatable wheter he is top 5 in the NHL. I would rather have:
Chara, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty and that isn't mentioning the ageless wonder Nick Lidstrom.

Then there is the tier I classify him in with the Brent Burns', Alex Edler's, Kris Letang's, (and soon probably going to be joined by Pietrangelo/Yandle/Karlsson's (if they aren't one hit wonder's)
I'm not sure I agree with your post. Seabrook is not top 5, hell; IMO he's not even in the Tier I you mentioned; Edler, Burns, Letang, Yandle, Suter are all better than Seabrook. I'd take Weber over Seabrook every single time, not even close. Doughty is damn good and will probably one day become top 5 but I don't think he's there yet, still too young and emotional to be top 5.

IMO, the top 5 are; Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, Chara, 5th spot is where it gets tricky. At the moment I would put Weber in the 5th spot, because no names are coming to me atm that are clearly better than him.

edit-added explanation

Last edited by Callhee: 03-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Karl Hungus

Weber has a really tantalizing skill set. He can win physical battles and he makes great use of his elite shot. However, Edler is already a better passer/puck mover. Edler also appears to be closing the gap when it comes to defense and physical play. So given their current salaries I'd stick with Edler who could even surpass Weber in the near future. I don't think he'll ever intimidate like Weber but he should be the more dynamic player.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Daryl

I'm pretty sure I would,but only for the same range of salary that is.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

No, but only because of the Cap. Weber is pretty clearly better than Edler now, and probably for the future. Weber is all of eight months older than Edler, so the age difference is neglible. Both will almost certainly be better players three years from now than they are today. Nature of the position.

The advantage Edler has is the talent around him. Weber has one of the worst offensive forward groups in hockey to work with, huge difference. And for mostly that reason I could see Edler eventually surpassing Weber as an overall defender (not just point totals-assuming health, I already expect Edler to outproduce Weber going forward because he plays with the Sedin's on the powerplay).

Edler's contract right now is what makes retaining Ehrhoff more likely.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:49 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your post. Seabrook is not top 5, hell; IMO he's not even in the Tier I you mentioned; Edler, Burns, Letang, Yandle, Suter are all better than Seabrook. I'd take Weber over Seabrook every single time, not even close. Doughty is damn good and will probably one day become top 5 but I don't think he's there yet, still too young and emotional to be top 5.

IMO, the top 5 are; Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, Chara, 5th spot is where it gets tricky. At the moment I would put Weber in the 5th spot, because no names are coming to me atm that are clearly better than him.

edit-added explanation
Ah I forgot Pronger and the only right now I put Seabrook up that high is he is a 40+ point elite shutdown D the only 2 guys I think are better at it are Pronger and Chara.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:17 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
Purely hypothetical.
It is not our choice to make so I find this question seriously pointless. hehe

I would keep Edler as he has a strong overall game and knows the team game better. He's been here longer and knows how things work. He's also only 24. I doubt we have seen the best from him. I guess the same could be said about Weber, but why fix something that isn't broke? Of course, having said that Edler is a softer offensive dman to Weber's more physical game, and he possesses one of the better booming shots that is very effective from the point, but again, it seems pointless since we're not the ones able to make that decision, and why that particular comparison? Just curious. Also, there are cap issues and whether or not either team would be willing to do that trade. I just do not like these questions.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM- View Post
Ah I forgot Pronger and the only right now I put Seabrook up that high is he is a 40+ point elite shutdown D the only 2 guys I think are better at it are Pronger and Chara.
Well on the main board there was a Edler vs Seabrook poll, Edler ran away with it, take it for what it's worth.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Askel

You dont trade a no1 d-man making 3 mil/year.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
You dont trade a no1 d-man making 3 mil/year.
While in now way do I advocate trading Edler, I don't see many people talking about his potential salary earnings under his next contract.

If Ehrhoff signs for $5/season+, where does that leave our negotiation with Edler? $6+/season?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Ernie

$7m+, if he keeps up doing what he has been.

That's the price you pay for a young #1 on his first UFA contract. I'd be up for them doing a long term front loaded deal like Duncan Keith's. Still lots of leeway to do these contracts; the new rules simply state the "tail end" mustn't extend past 41 and the minimum salary past age 36 must be at least $1m.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-267384

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
rban*

Nucks can get him. Here's how:

Salo will retire taking 3.5 ish off the books.

Is Weber better than Bieksa? Hell ya...

So add Bieksa's 3.5 mil or so.

Ta-dah! Now you have 7 mil to sign Weber. Or 6 mil, giving Ehrhoff a 1 mil raise.

Edler-Ehrhoff-Weber-Hamhuis-Ballard-Alberts.

Would any D corps in the NHL be able to compete with that?

And the year after that, you can get rid of Ballard to raise funds to sign Edler.

You dont really need Ballard with a Top 4 like that!

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Nucks can get him. Here's how:

Salo will retire taking 3.5 ish off the books.

Is Weber better than Bieksa? Hell ya...

So add Bieksa's 3.5 mil or so.

Ta-dah! Now you have 7 mil to sign Weber. Or 6 mil, giving Ehrhoff a 1 mil raise.
Except the Canucks have been running $3.5M over the cap all season due to various injuries(Salo, Edler, Bieksa). So unless the cap goes up by $3.5M, this isn't too realistic, and even if it does, I doubt Gillis would want to enter next season in a similar situation, right against the cap with no breathing room.

Regardless, Nashville isn't going to let Weber walk and there's nothing to suggest that Weber wants out anyway.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote