HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Senators @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM

Old
03-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 375
Senators @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM

AT
7:00 PM on FS-CR

Stillman-Staal-Cole
Jokinen-Ruutu-Skinner
LaRose-Sutter-Tlusty
Samson-Dwyer-Bowman

Pitkanen-Corvo
Harrison-Gleason
Allen-Joslin

Ward

Quote:
The Carolina Hurricanes are running out of time in their pursuit of the Eastern Conference's final playoff spot. A home game against the Ottawa Senators should give them a very good chance to gain some much-needed points.

Coming off a crucial comeback victory, the Hurricanes look to continue their home dominance over the Senators on Tuesday night.

Ninth-place Carolina (33-29-10) is three points back of Buffalo for eighth, and each team has 10 games remaining. The Hurricanes had been struggling mightily, but hope a 3-2 overtime win over the New York Islanders on Friday can spark a playoff push.

Erik Cole tied the score at 2 with 4:37 remaining in the third period and Joni Pitkanen scored his third goal of the season in OT to snap a three-game home losing streak.

"As a team, it's really important that you can find a way to get to that desperation level," coach Paul Maurice said. "Then we found it, were able to change gears and good things started happening."

It was a step in the right direction for the Hurricanes, who managed two or fewer goals in each of their previous six games (1-4-1). They are 27-3-4 when scoring at least three goals.

Carolina has had little trouble reaching that mark against the Senators at home lately.

The Hurricanes have outscored Ottawa 24-6 in winning the last six meetings at the RBC Center, allowing one goal in each game. In the only meeting in Raleigh this season Nov. 17, Eric Staal had three goals and two assists, while Chad LaRose added two goals and two assists in a 7-1 victory.

Cam Ward has appeared in four games during this winning streak, stopping 91 of 95 shots. He has gone 4-1-0 with a 1.21 goals-against average and one shutout in his last five starts in the series. ESPN

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

vCash: 500
Season is on the line. Must win.

What I'm trying to say is... We're ****ed.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
CanesUltimate11

That is all.

CanesUltimate11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
It would be huge tonight to pull within 1 point of Buffalo. If you will, and I say this very, very lightly, we have the "easier" game vs. Ottawa than Buffalo vs. Montreal.

Although, Ottawa is 6-4 in their last 10 and have won 2 in a row. Montreal is 7-3 in their last 10.

Big night.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
totalkev

I just want the April 3 game to mean something. Six games each between now and then. Gotta be no worse off than we are right now on that day or I'll be really bummed out.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I just want the April 3 game to mean something. Six games each between now and then. Gotta be no worse off than we are right now on that day or I'll be really bummed out.
Agree. If we cannot pass Buffalo by that time (slim chance, but you never know) atleast be neck-and-neck with them for that game.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things I don't care how we get in, but, there are some "winnable" games coming up and some that are "tougher/likely losses", so, we've gotta keep pace here and take the "easier" (I hate saying that word) points and pull off a big win vs. Buffalo April 3rd.

I have a feeling this team has what it takes here, but, it's hard to realistically envision it when we're at the 72 game mark and we've yet to really hit any sort of rhythm.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Man, what happened to the Sens forwards? Just looked at the lineup in their GDT and it was like, ok Spezza is tough... then there's... um...

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Man, what happened to the Sens forwards? Just looked at the lineup in their GDT and it was like, ok Spezza is tough... then there's... um...
If this post isn't a guarantee that the Sens will score at least five goals tonight, I don't know what is.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinsky View Post
If this post isn't a guarantee that the Sens will score at least five goals tonight, I don't know what is.
Oh, you want a jinx do ya? I'll give you a jinx.

THE OTTAWA SENATORS HAVE NO CHANCE TO BEAT THE HURRICANES TONIGHT. I GUARANTEE A WIN, A SHUTOUT AND A PLAYOFF BERTH.

There you go.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
We traded Fisher, Kelly, Kovalev, Ruutu while Alfredsson and Michalek are currently out with injuries. We're in rebuild mode.

Anyways, Sens fan here cheering for you guys tonight. You need a win to continue with your playoff push, while we need a loss to help secure a Top 3 pick. Let's hope it happens and it will be a win-win outcome!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post

Anyways, Sens fan here cheering for you guys tonight. You need a win to continue with your playoff push, while we need a loss to help secure a Top 3 pick. Let's hope it happens and it will be a win-win outcome!

haha, that's awesome...

we should be in the same mindframe

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
We traded Fisher, Kelly, Kovalev, Ruutu while Alfredsson and Michalek are currently out with injuries. We're in rebuild mode.

Hello Carolina fans.

I'd just like to repeat what the above poster said, and also add the fact that the above scenario will also aid the Leafs in their yearly push to the 9th-10th spot/kindling hopes of making the playoffs only to be dashed at the end.

Here is to an entertaining game and a Carolina win!

P.S: Just let us score one goal, if possible, and you can have the rest.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
It would be huge tonight to pull within 1 point of Buffalo.
Anything less than this outcome is a very bad sign. If Buffalo goes into Montreal and wins tonight, they aren't going to lose enough games to be caught.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonGundy View Post
Anything less than this outcome is a very bad sign. If Buffalo goes into Montreal and wins tonight, they aren't going to lose enough games to be caught.
Buffalo lost 1-0 to us in their building when they had a chance to bury us. They can lose to anybody.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
Um ... the way we're scoring goals lately, we may not be able to fulfill this request.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
Hello Carolina fans.

I'd just like to repeat what the above poster said, and also add the fact that the above scenario will also aid the Leafs in their yearly push to the 9th-10th spot/kindling hopes of making the playoffs only to be dashed at the end.

Here is to an entertaining game and a Carolina win!

**** that!!! I'm a sens fan and I want to win tonight, we destroyed New Jersey's chance to make the playoffs I want to do the same to Carolina's. Enough with this "we want to tank crap" we play to win!!! GO SENS GO

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Quote:
**** that!!! I'm a sens fan and I want to win tonight, we destroyed New Jersey's chance to make the playoffs I want to do the same to Carolina's. Enough with this "we want to tank crap" we play to win!!! GO SENS GO
I'm with you. Last season when we were in the same position as Ottawa is now I toyed with wanting the team to lose for a while. I felt dirty doing it. Then when we started winning games I was frustrated briefly, then embraced it. With Jeff Skinner turning out the way he is from the 7th pick I feel like it is justice. I will never ever wish for my team to lose again, and I'll take my chances with the draft.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

In Ottawa's situation it might make a little sense to play down to the 2nd or 1st pick. Otherwise, the difference between positions just isn't worth putting yourself through the pain. A lot of the time, you get the same guy at 7th that you would have at 5th.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:26 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I'm with you. Last season when we were in the same position as Ottawa is now I toyed with wanting the team to lose for a while. I felt dirty doing it. Then when we started winning games I was frustrated briefly, then embraced it. With Jeff Skinner turning out the way he is from the 7th pick I feel like it is justice. I will never ever wish for my team to lose again, and I'll take my chances with the draft.
Absolutely, when you cheering for a team you've got to be behind them through thick and thin, to me it's unnatural to cheer for your team to lose just to have a higher draft pick.

Like you said the canes drafted Skinner with the 7th pick and I would say that he will as good if not better than any of the first 6 picks ahead of him.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

I know it's not a fun, fun, fun, fun Friday afternoon, but I feel obligated to post this to keep up the good mojo...

Also...

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Up for debate, is THIS the greatest fan in sports history?

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Let's gooooo!

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall