HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Time for Flyers fans to appreciate Carter"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2011, 08:49 PM
  #126
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
I have played for multiple coaches. They have all said being "clutch" is just doing what your supposed to do.
Then what happened?

JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
  #127
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,947
vCash: 500
Here's Scotty Bowman:

Quote:
“When Gordie Howe was second-team, it wasn’t like he was
finishing second to ham and eggs,” Bowman said. “He was finishing
second to Maurice “Rocket” Richard who might be the greatest goal
scorer of all-time. Rocket was an outstanding clutch player, but he didn’t
have the defensive acumen that Howe had.”

http://www.mrandmrshockey.com/downlo...an_chapter.pdf

JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
  #128
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Then what happened?
I'll venture the guess that players played to their abilities as seen and documented in all the games they've ever played prior.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
  #129
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I'll venture the guess that players played to their abilities as seen and documented in all the games they've ever played prior.
If that were the case then there would have been no need for the coach to address it.

JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
  #130
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Jeff Carter is the Mike Schmidt of the flyers....Folks think he is lazy or not trying hard because he is very smooth and takes long strides etc.I guess you can't please everybody...Schmidt would get the boo birds going all the time back during his Hall of Fame career for the same reasons....I like Carter, and he might be one of the best back checkers on our club as well.

SgtJoseph is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
  #131
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Jeff Carter is the Mike Schmidt of the flyers....Folks think he is lazy or not trying hard because he is very smooth and takes long strides etc.I guess you can't please everybody...Schmidt would get the boo birds going all the time back during his Hall of Fame career for the same reasons....I like Carter, and he might be one of the best back checkers on our club as well.
Rick Macleish, too.

JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
  #132
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Those are all storylines, manufactured by humans. You can't measure them, unless you're going by inches in print. I love good stories. They're awesome.

But your argument is in faith. That's like dropping a grenade in an air raid.
So what? We take as fact things which are based solely on faith every day. What's your point?

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
  #133
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Rick Macleish, too.
I agree !

SgtJoseph is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
  #134
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Jeff Carter is the Mike Schmidt of the flyers....Folks think he is lazy or not trying hard because he is very smooth and takes long strides etc.I guess you can't please everybody...Schmidt would get the boo birds going all the time back during his Hall of Fame career for the same reasons....I like Carter, and he might be one of the best back checkers on our club as well.
Mike Schmidt was the greatest 3rd baseman of all time. What is Jeff Carter the greatest of?

Schmidt would get booed because he too, like Carter, wasn't clutch. Some of it was that he was also largely misunderstood.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
  #135
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Christ.

If you two still can't understand why you are wrong after how well its been explained time and time again in this thread alone then there's clearly an issue with the analytical part of your brain.

BringBackStevens is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
  #136
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Mike Schmidt was the greatest 3rd baseman of all time. What is Jeff Carter the greatest of?

Schmidt would get booed because he too, like Carter, wasn't clutch. Some of it was that he was also largely misunderstood.
I was just simply comparing their " smooth" styles being misunderstood as being lazy or not hustling...I was not saying Carter is a HOF player or any of that.

SgtJoseph is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
  #137
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Mike Schmidt was the greatest 3rd baseman of all time. What is Jeff Carter the greatest of?

Schmidt would get booed because he too, like Carter, wasn't clutch. Some of it was that he was also largely misunderstood.
Schmidt was .267/.380/.527 over his career.

Schmidt was .267/.386/.504 late and close.

Schmidt was .275/.384/.529 in high leverage situations.

Thanks for proving the point that humans just don't process information well.

Great players you remember the clutch failures and overweight them, average players you remember the clutch successes and overweight them.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
  #138
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I was just simply comparing their " smooth" styles being misunderstood as being lazy or not hustling...I was not saying Carter is a HOF player or any of that.
OK but I still don't see the comparison. No one thought that Schmidt was not hustling. You can't win 10 gold gloves by not hustling.

He was booed because in big situations he very often came up small.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
  #139
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
OK but I still don't see the comparison. No one thought that Schmidt was not hustling. You can't win 10 gold gloves by not hustling.

He was booed because in big situations he very often came up small.
Jeter has 5 gold gloves for being one of the worse defensive shortstops of all time.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
  #140
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Schmidt was .267/.380/.527 over his career.

Schmidt was .267/.386/.504 late and close.

Schmidt was .275/.384/.529 in high leverage situations.

Thanks for proving the point that humans just don't process information well.

Great players you remember the clutch failures and overweight them, average players you remember the clutch successes and overweight them.

Schmidt's regular season stats were:

.267 batting average .380 OBP .527 SLG .908 OPS

His postseason stats were:

.236 batting average .304 OBP .386 SLG .690 OPS

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
  #141
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Jeter has 5 gold gloves for being one of the worse defensive shortstops of all time.
Jeter is one of the most clutch athletes that ever lived.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:53 PM
  #142
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Schmidt's regular season stats were:

.267 batting average .380 OBP .527 SLG .908 OPS

His postseason stats were:

.236 batting average .304 OBP .386 SLG .690 OPS
so 1st inning of game 1 of NLCS is more clutch than man on 2nd, game tied in the bottom of the 9th of a regular season game?

he probably had what, 250 postseason PA? Like 40% of a season? come on.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
  #143
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Jeter: .314/.385/.452
L&C: .292/.386/.416
HL: .317/.397/.431


Thanks for proving the point again.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
  #144
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
158 PA. Schmidt had the equivalent of a bad month, and that's proof he's not clutch.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
  #145
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 45,823
vCash: 500
I don't even know what this thread is about at this point.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
  #146
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
so 1st inning of game 1 of NLCS is more clutch than man on 2nd, game tied in the bottom of the 9th of a regular season game?

he probably had what, 250 postseason PA? Like 40% of a season? come on.
We're probably never gonna agree on this but, to answer your question, yes the NLCS scenario would be more clutch because the magnitude of the game is much larger.

That being said, they both clutch situations to be sure.

btw he had 158 PA in the postseason

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
  #147
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Schmidt's regular season stats were:

.267 batting average .380 OBP .527 SLG .908 OPS

His postseason stats were:

.236 batting average .304 OBP .386 SLG .690 OPS
This proves nothing for lots of reasons...

1) Sample Size

2) There is ZERO context

BringBackStevens is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
  #148
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 34,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Wake me when he scores a few big goals in crunch time.

wake me up when your weakass act changes.
Your act never changes. you spew the same ****ing garbage all the time trying to get people riled up. Your entire act is so predictable.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
  #149
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
OK but I still don't see the comparison. No one thought that Schmidt was not hustling. You can't win 10 gold gloves by not hustling.

He was booed because in big situations he very often came up small.
I grew up during Schmittys career [I'm 52] and believe me when i tell you that folks would ride him about being lazy or for not giving 100% all the time etc....You are right about 10 gold glove's, but i again am simply stating that fans had a " perception" he was lazy or not hustling because he made plays look " effortless " As do i think some think the same about Carter.Carter is a big guy and a very smooth skater and he looks like he is not hustling, but he is actually flying. Perhaps we can agree to disagree on my analogy, which is fine. Go Flyers.[ and Phillies }

SgtJoseph is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
  #150
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't even know what this thread is about at this point.
It's made of stupid.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.