HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Cooke is a disgrace (Update: Suspended rest of season, 1st playoff round)

Old
03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
little dirt bag got what he deserved

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
little dirt bag got what he deserved
Cooke should have also got the anger management session like Avery did and fined and drug tested. cause if u keep doing the same offense something must be wrong.

at least he got more than avery for talking trash while us fans seen elbows get only one or 2 games for guys like Heatley

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A message was sent. And to me, the best part is they didn't take into consideration the fact that MCD returned to the game. The hit, the action and the intent matter. Strong precedent set.
How badly a player is injured should rarely, if ever, have anything to do with the length of a suspension. I never understood that line of thinking.

Everything else being equal, I think the punishment is adequate.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Pleased with the punishment. I had them giving him 8 so this definitely exceeds that. What should be interesting is if Pitt makes it to the 2nd round, do they play Cooke? He'll be rusty and who knows if they wanna throw him in the lineup.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Ice Hockey

just wanna say that i am happy with the cooke ruling. however, when he does something like this again i want to see him gone for half a season and for the coach to be fined heavily. if he ends (another) career, i want him gone.

what is he doing with an A on his chest? what kind of a leader can a cheap shot artist possibly be? this just shows what kind of an org the pens are running. if i were mario, as outspoken as he's been about headshots (the guy said he needed to reevaluate whether or not he wanted to be a PART of the NHL if they didn't step up and do something about vulnerability head shots), i would make sure the one repeat offender delivering a majority of the league's headshots was NOT an assistant captain-- however great his other skills may be. this just doesn't fit his "stance" on hockey.

someone called cooke a career killer and i agree with that label. even with heavy suspensions it seems like it's just a matter of time before he ends a talented player's career with his stupid style of play. and we have already seen him walk away scott free without even a slap on the wrist for that pitiful and cowardly dirtbag of a hit on savard-- which may end or significantly shorten the guy's career as well as negativley affect his life. again, if/when he does anything like this again, the coaching staff should be heavily fined and he should not play for half, if not the entire season and take that pay out of his salary. if they don't start beefing up the repercussions for repeat offenders, there will be no incentive to stop-- and we'll see the careers and health of our current elite players go out the window... for one *******.

also i want to thank matt cooke for helping us beat the penguins yesterday-- we really needed that win.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I guess you can Matt's season looks Cooke-d

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Glad to see double digits...

Here in Norway, some weeks ago Steffen thoresen (The brother of Patrick - KHL player) "chocked Hockey Norway" with this disgusting act...

There's talk he might get a 10 game suspension, but people are saying it's too much..I say he should get at least 25 games for it...The lenghtiest suspension I can remember here in Norway occured in the 80's when one player shot the puck after one of the ref's...He got 25 games for it...

For the video, go to the link below - you might have to press "ja (yes) if something comes up...the video is at the top of the article...

http://www.tv2sporten.no/ishockey/se...e-3437945.html

Let me know if it's a valid link and what you thought of the attack...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

This event deserves some sort of t-shirt to be made!

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:33 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Cooke should have also got the anger management session like Avery did and fined and drug tested. cause if u keep doing the same offense something must be wrong.

I agree he should have also gotten anger management, but I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I saw an interesting graphic on NHL on the fly last night and it went like this:

2004 Suspended 2 games
2009 Suspended 2 games
2009 Suspended 2 games
2011 Suspended 4 games

To me that is why he kept doing what he was doing, he was getting away with it, there is nothing wrong with him mentally, its like a child pushing his parents to see what he can get away with. It should have looked more like this:
2 games
4 games
8 games
12 games..etc.
But the inconsistency of the NHL discipline is really why he (and other players) keeps doing stuff, only time will tell if 14-17 games will be enough to send him a message.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 03-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

The suspension period is good. NHL just needs to be consistent with their terms from here on out, which I have little faith in.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
SportsArchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

Here in Norway, some weeks ago Steffen thoresen (The brother of Patrick - KHL player) "chocked Hockey Norway" with this disgusting act...

There's talk he might get a 10 game suspension, but people are saying it's too much..I say he should get at least 25 games for it...The lenghtiest suspension I can remember here in Norway occured in the 80's when one player shot the puck after one of the ref's...He got 25 games for it...

For the video, go to the link below - you might have to press "ja (yes) if something comes up...the video is at the top of the article...

man that was pretty brutal... id suspend that guy for an entire season.

SportsArchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

It looked weak at first, but I completely missed the 2nd cross check (which is neck-breaking material). He should get roughly what Bertuzzi got, but considering the season is shorter in Norway, well...

As a complete sidenote, is Eerikki Koivu somehow related to Saku and Mikko?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I guess you can Matt's season looks Cooke-d

That would have been much better if you included some David Caruso shades action.

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
KRM

Good.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

More than I expected but the NHL always wins in this situation:

1) Dale Hunter -- Was a shell of his former self after the Turgeon hit in 1993 (at the time the longest suspension ever). Went from an 80-point player and a super pest and leader to a slow scrub who was relegated to minor ticky-tack penalties. His game did a 180 after the suspension.

2) McSorely -- We all know the deal. He never played in the NHL again

3) Matt Johnson -- Just a flat out scrub who only got a job after the Beuk punch because of expansion. Retired during the lockout at 28 years old.

4) Claude "Gutless Puke" Lemieux -- Got off scott free for his hit on Draper and then was absolutely humiliated and had his nuts removed on national TV by Darren Mcarty one year later. Never the same player after the beatdown and the only reasons he kept a job was he kept himself in good shape and had a reputation

5) Bertuzzi -- the most despicable act in hockey history was treated the right way. Bertuzzi was one of the top-10 players in the NHl at the time of the hit. Since then he's been a 2nd or 3rd line scrub

Cooke is on death watch career wise. He's actually become worse than Avery in terms of GM avoidance. This style of play has made him infamous, and his career will fizzle out like an old man's fart, mainly because he cant be effective if he cant intimidate opposing players with his play if he's got a muzzle on.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I wanted the entire playoffs but this is fine.

If it happens again? half a season ban + playoffs.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
varanger94

It's amazing when you look at all the video's on youtube. The guy is a Psychopath. He tries to injure people in multiple ways. Headhunting is his favorite. Then there's taking out knees. He'll use that to break up the monotony. If it were'nt for playing Hockey, he'd doing time prison in the real world.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WANTED COOKE+SIDE FINAL.jpg‎ (104.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by varanger94: 03-21-2011 at 08:03 PM.
varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
If this **** happens again it better be a FULL season + playoffs.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
EmpireStateofMind

Good. This ******* just does not learn and it's come down to this. I expected ~8 games but this obviously exceeds that. Very happy with the amount of time given to him.

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:58 PM
OverTheCap

I must laugh at some of the people on the main boards saying the suspension was harsh. Yeah, because those 2-4 game suspensions for repeat offenders were really deterring players from committing head shots. It's about time the league laid the hammer down when it comes to suspensions for hits to the head.

Matt Cooke made Bettman look like a fool, who tried to minimize the head shot issue recently by saying that most concussions are the result of accidents. What Cooke did was no accident. Hopefully Bettman, Campbell, and the rest of the league will finally realize that even greater measures must be taken to deter dangerous hits to the head.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:01 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I must laugh at some of the people on the main boards saying the suspension was harsh. Yeah, because those 2-4 game suspensions for repeat offenders were really deterring players from committing head shots. It's about time the league laid the hammer down when it comes to suspensions for hits to the head.

Matt Cooke made Bettman look like a fool, who tried to minimize the head shot issue recently by saying that most concussions are the result of accidents. What Cooke did was no accident. Hopefully Bettman, Campbell, and the rest of the league will finally realize that even greater measures must be taken to deter dangerous hits to the head.

It's main boards. Half of the posters on there have IQ that is lower than their age.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I just want to see how McDonagh will react when he plays the Penguins again next year, or in the playoffs.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I guess that I am the only one who thinks it was not severe enough.

I think it should have been 20 games, counted out including as long as the Pens are in the playoffs, and if they are eliminated, the suspension should last early into next season.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very happy with the suspension and even more happy with Sheros comments. I wonder if Mario or Sidney would like to grace us with their presence once again and tell us their thoughts on the matter.

Doubt it will happen though.

Could it have been longer, sure. But at least it wasnt a slap on the wrist.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I guess that I am the only one who thinks it was not severe enough.

I think it should have been 20 games, counted out including as long as the Pens are in the playoffs, and if they are eliminated, the suspension should last early into next season.
In an ideal world I would have wanted something longer. But this is the NHL, so I'll gladly take the ten + 1st round. I was somewhat worried that because McD didn't actually suffer an injury he was going to get away with just a small handful of games. The Pens are Bettman's team after all.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote