HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Year's Lineup

Old
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Eller and Pouliot aren't ready for top6, I wonder if Pouliot will ever be..

Maybe Eller will be ready in the second half of the season, but if Gomez leave, the Habs needs to acquire someone else for atleast one season.

Patches - Gomez - Gionta
Cammy - Pleky - XXX
AK - Eller - White
Pouliot - DD - Moen
Darche
I'm agreeing with this. Patches, knock on wood, works well with GG, and will continue to be Patches. I love the guy.

AK Eller and White is just a killer 3rd line. Hope AK signs for 3 or less, or it won't happen though.

Pools DD Moen, not so sure, DD is too small for that role. And Pools is still too soft. I think one or both of Pools and DD might go, though they are cheap.

The big big question though is your Mr. X. If AK and Pools can't play top six, and I think that's been shown this year (rather I should say that AK is an absolute killer 3rd line winger at the right price, and we should keep him there), then we need a big 25 goal tough winger for Pleks and Camm, to give them room, and to protect them.

Mr. X winger, and a big monster 35 point D with great D to replace Wiz and protect Marky, are my two biggest wishes next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
One thing that I'm quite certain of is that the line-up at center will be:

Plekanec
Gomez
Eller
Desharnais

Some of you are just sad when calling Plekanec a 2nd line centerman. Yes, he ain't elite but those can be counted with two hands, meaning that only 10 teams can have those. Plekanec is a quality first line center that should be in Selke contention. I say with those mentioned above we have incredible depth at the C position, especially if Gomer starts to play for atleast a bit of his money (lets say 4 out of those 7 million) lol.

I'm in the camp who does not want Puoliot here next season. While he has excellent games; it seems to me that when he has to step up into a top 6 role he just can't do it, consistently atleast. His bad games are terrible, especially the Offensive Zone Penalty Per Game of his. Can't have that around to offset his 10-15 good games a year in a 82 game long season. But my final jury is still out how well he does in the Playoffs.

Halpern is another one I just can't see back here next year. I love what he has done for our team, but therefore there will be takers once he hits the open market. He is a centerman and we have those positions filled out already so he is (kind of unfortunately) the odd man out.

What we need to adress first though is the D! Hopefully Wisniewski won't demand too much and that Hamrlik and Markov take some salary cuts to stay here. Same goes for Gill. If all that happens we could retain all our current D, except for Sopel? That would be one hell of a line-up. Spacek is moveable in my opinion, if we have to trade him so be it but he ain't bad when he gets to play on his right side. But IF we sign all the D's, unlikely as it is, who will sit out?? Depth is needed but no team signs 8 quality D, waiting for injuries to start coming... It'll be hard to depart with Hamrlik or Gill or Spacek, but that's life.

And then we'll see our cap situation and what winger we can go after for the top 6 role with Cammy and Plekanec. Jokinen is interesting but there is more out there.

So something along these lines:

UFA-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Darche-Desharnais-White
13th: Pyatt
I'd switch Moen and White. I think White could pop 10 next year, and he's younger and more energetic than Moen.

Otherwise I think you are bang on. We NEED that 25 goal big UFA winger on line 1. It gives us Eller and Kosty on line 3, which is golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I doubt they move Gomez until after another year, his contract is hard to move this off season. AK will be dropped for draft picks, we are short at this draft and Timmins has hot hand getting players after first round. Also, not out of realm Leblanc does a Pacioretty next year.
I lost you at that point.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-21-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Merge
bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
The Right Price

We have to remember that trading is also an option. My pipe dream is that IF we can ship Gomez out that we would target Stastny from Colorado.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta ($16M)
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Laich ($6M)
Pouliot - Eller - Kostitsyn ($6M)
Moen - Pyatt - White - Darche - Engqvist ($4M)

Markov - Gorges ($8.5M)
Hamrlik - Wiz ($6.5M)
Sopel - Subban ($3M)
Weber ($850K)

Price - Auld ($3.75M)

TOTAL (give or take): $55M
Like the offense... not so much the defense :

Markov-Bieksa
Gill-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Weber

I hope PG will try to get Clowe out of SJ and sign a guy like Rupp or Winchester for the 4th line

MaxPac-Pleks-Gagné/Langenbrunner/Laich
Clowe-Eller-Gionta
Brunette-DD-AK
Winchester-White-Moen-Darche

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta ($16M)
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Laich ($6M)
Pouliot - Eller - Kostitsyn ($6M)
Moen - Pyatt - White - Darche - Engqvist ($4M)

Markov - Gorges ($8.5M)
Hamrlik - Wiz ($6.5M)
Sopel - Subban ($3M)
Weber ($850K)

Price - Auld ($3.75M)

TOTAL (give or take): $55M
For a second there I thought you were giving laich $6 million Would love to target him in the offseason though, would really make us a lot deeper. I would split up patches and laich though, and have one big winger on each of the top two lines. I also think your estimate for the Markov-Gorges pairing is a bit high, but only because I expect markov to take a paycut. Not sure about sopel, I think I'd rather pay less and try and get Emelin or pay more and target Brewer. Good proposal though

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Some have already been mentioned but here's a list of possibilities as UFAs, that wouldn't break the bank and are realistic options:

Talbot
Torres
Glencross
LaRose
B.Winchester

other options, but even more likely to be re-signed by their own teams:

Leino
Laich
Kopecky

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Desharnais - White
Torres - Eller - Moen
Won't happen with the signing of Versteeg through next year. Don't have the cap room.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
canadianeh

Your lineup for next season?

After all the looks we've had this year at the prospects, due to all the injuries, I have to say I'm pretty happy with this team overall. Good mix of Vets and young players all contributing.

So what do you see next years team being? I really don't think we need to make too many moves in FA, if we can resign some of our guys.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-???
Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
Kostitsyn-Eller-White
Moen-Desharnais-Pouliot(?)

Pyatt

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Hammer-Wiz
Weber

Price
Auld (or any other reasonable backup)

Resigned UFAs:
Markov (shorter term 2-3 years, less money)
Hammer (short term 1-2 years, less money)
Gill (short term 1-2 years, similar money)
Wiz (longer term 3-4 years, more money)
Auld (he's been a good backup, and isn't breaking the bank)

UFA's not resigned:
Halpern (Like him as a plyer, but no room at C with DD and Eller)
Darche (could very well be resigned to play on 4th line/extra F)
Sopel (He wasn't going to stay anyway, and there's no room for him)
Mara (I'd resign him if you can't keep one of Gill/Hammer)

Resigned RFA's:
Pacioretty (no brainer)
Gorges (needs a long term deal 3-4 years)
Weber (no brainer)
Desharnais (no brianer)
White (no brianer)
AK (1-2 years to prove he can do it consistently... last chance)
Pouliot (I'm really torn on this one. It has to be 1 year and cheap. Definite last chance)
Pyatt (Cheap extra F/PK man/4th liner)
Dawes (2-way deal)

RFA not resigned:
Picard (not good enough to stay, though he will find another team IMO)

Buyout/LTIL/Retired/Trade/Dead cap:
Spacek (there's just no tread left on the tires)

Needs?
a 1st line Winger. AK hasn't proven consistent enough, and Pouliot is even further. I think with a legit top 6 winger and some better luck with injuries, the pieces are in place for a serious run.

2 best targets would be Simon Gagne and Milan Hejduk as FA's. But i'm not sure if either would want to sign here.

(not going to get into the whole.. "if we can get rid of Gomez" and so on.... maybe at the deadline or next offseason, but for now i think he stays.)

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I'd keep Darche that's for sure, for the money he makes and what he brings it's a no brainer. Pyatt well see, I know Martin likes him but I'm not sure if he will be back.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Picaroon

I'd rather keep Mara or Sopel over Weber to be honest. He is a decent young prospect for sure but there are 3 guys in the D lineup that bring the same things he does to a greater degree. He could be a decent piece to a trade.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Gally11

I like most of yours except that I would have

Markov - Wiz
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Sopel
Weber

something of the sort, I think Gorges - Sopel pairing would dominate, good luck hitting the goalie with a shot lol, would be a sick penalty killing duo as well.. As for the forwards a little clean up is necessary, I like the eller - ak chemistry to remain in tact with white, dd pouliot don't look bad for a fourth line with moen.. wouldn't mind getting rid of gomez and signing richards to a one-two year high price deal while we bring Eller along and add another decent sized forward up front.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
day dreaming:

pacioretty plekanec gionta
cammalleri richards moen
kostitsyn eller white
pouliot desharnais darche
goon (who can atleast skate well)

markov gorges
hamrlik wisniewski
gill subban
mara weber

price
auld

more realistic though:

cammalleri plekanec moen
pacioretty gomez gionta
kostitsyn eller white
pyatt

Markov gorges
hamrlik spacek
gill subban
mara weber

price
auld

please god let gauthier resign wisniewski, its time to stop wasting 2nd round picks for offensive d-men to help our pp...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
macavoy

You guys can call me insane but I'd take Matt Cooke next year. Imagine the Boston / Montreal rivalry then.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
JackieChan

I think we'll see a salary tradeoff between Hammer and Wiz, and Markov's will stay in the same ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
day dreaming:

pacioretty plekanec gionta
cammalleri richards moen
kostitsyn eller white
goon (who can atleast skate well)

markov gorges
hamrlik wisniewski
gill subban
mara weber

price
auld

more realistic though:

cammalleri plekanec moen
pacioretty gomez gionta
kostitsyn eller white
pyatt

Markov gorges
hamrlik spacek
gill subban
mara weber

price
auld

please god let gauthier resign wisniewski, its time to stop wasting 2nd round picks for offensive d-men to help our pp...

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Moen-Laich-Gionta
White-Eller-Kostitsyn
Darche-Desharnais-Pouliot

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Hamrlik
Gill-Weber

Emelin

Price
Auld

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
I'd rather keep Mara or Sopel over Weber to be honest. He is a decent young prospect for sure but there are 3 guys in the D lineup that bring the same things he does to a greater degree. He could be a decent piece to a trade.
I'd keep either Mara or Sopel to be honest, if the plan was to trade Weber. I like Mara a bit better because he's cheaper and is willing to drop the gloves if needed. I think Sopel will be trying hard to return to Chicago for a discount. His family has settled in there and seems to want to stay.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You guys can call me insane but I'd take Matt Cooke next year. Imagine the Boston / Montreal rivalry then.
Pass, no thank you

I'd be all over Rupp tho this summer, he is a UFA and we all saw him drop Thornton the other week. Could also play good hockey, wouldn't mind him at all, but Cooke no thanks!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I like most of yours except that I would have

Markov - Wiz
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Sopel
Weber

something of the sort, I think Gorges - Sopel pairing would dominate, good luck hitting the goalie with a shot lol, would be a sick penalty killing duo as well.. As for the forwards a little clean up is necessary, I like the eller - ak chemistry to remain in tact with white, dd pouliot don't look bad for a fourth line with moen.. wouldn't mind getting rid of gomez and signing richards to a one-two year high price deal while we bring Eller along and add another decent sized forward up front.

Again, i'm not going to bother daydreaming about trading Gomez. I think he's here for 1 more year at least.

Even if we DID trade him, I don't think we are on Richards list of destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'd keep Darche that's for sure, for the money he makes and what he brings it's a no brainer. Pyatt well see, I know Martin likes him but I'm not sure if he will be back.

This scenario wouldn't surprise me either. I do get the feeling Darche will be back on the 4th line next year. Very possibly at the expense of Pouliot's roster spot.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
You're insane.

... the rivality between the two teams is strong enough as it is, no need to embarass ourselves with this *******.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Pass, no thank you

I'd be all over Rupp tho this summer, he is a UFA and we all saw him drop Thornton the other week. Could also play good hockey, wouldn't mind him at all, but Cooke no thanks!
Agree 100%. Cooke is an idiot with no business being in the NHL. He's a total distraction that costs his team games.

If this were not the "new" nhl that reward beign cowardly, he would never have lasted this long.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I've read a few posts by Habs fans on this board saying they aren't sure if Pouliot would be brought back. I'm curious to know why people think that/share that thought? I want him back for sure, he's a fine player just not when he's paired with Gomez.
I'm a little indifferent to him personally although the sand paper he's shown this season certainly interests me.

My issue with Pouliot is that he is a bit of a head case and a completely different player offensively when he's confident. He has great offensive instinct and when he's confident he also uses his size effectively to get into the dirty areas and battle for the puck. When he's not confident he doesn't use his size effectively to create offense and looks to get into shooting position (which isn't a bad thing as he's got a great shot).

The problem is we need him to be the player he is when he plays confident and, unfortunately, he doesn't play with confidence too often. It's great that he gets into shooting position but when he plays with Plekanec/Cammelleri or Gomez/Gionta they need him to be in front of the net to collect rebounds or in the corners. This is why, in part due to the competition he faces with 3rd/4th line duties, playing him with Darche and Desharnais has been so effective as it creates a balanced line and allows Pouliot to get into shooting positions.

As for signing him next year I think it depends on a couple questions: How we intend to use him and how much he costs at the end of this season. Personally I like him in the role he plays now but if they plan on using him as a first/second line player I'd rather see another player who is more consistent and a little more adept to playing a role take it, particularly because we are still not sure what Gomez we'll get in the playoffs/next season. Given Martin's reluctance to take Gomez off the second line this season I think consistency in production and balance on our top offensive lines is a top priority going into next season, especially because, while Gomez plays as he does now, they are very unbalanced.

On a side note, I'd like to see Ryan White get a good look with Eller/Kostitsyn. Not that Moen hasn't been great there but his hands are made of stone which has lead to a few blown offensive opportunities.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
more realistic though:

cammalleri plekanec moen
pacioretty gomez gionta
kostitsyn eller white
pyatt

Markov gorges
hamrlik spacek
gill subban
mara weber

price
auld

Umm. this is the lineup we started THIS year with only with White on the big club and Halpern and Max Lapierre gone.

I don't expect BIG changes, but i doubt that we go into next year with Moen penciled in on Plek's wing, i'm going to Montreal to kick PG's ass.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Personally I would rather think about what our lineup will be come playoff time. Who will be back and at what point etc. I think next years lineup will have a lot to do with how far we make it this year and it is hard to predict who will be around next year, outside the core youngsters, until we are eliminated or win the cup....I prefer the latter.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Pass, no thank you

Desharnais-Gomez-Gionta
Cooke-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-Halpern-Pouliot

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Wisniewski
Gill-Hammer

Price
XXXXXX

4 lines that all can potentially score, plenty of interchangeable parts.

Cooke has consistently scored 10-15 goals in a 3rd line role, I think he would also create a lot of room for Eller and Kostitsyn

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Desharnais-Gomez-Gionta
Cooke-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-Halpern-Pouliot

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Wisniewski
Gill-Hammer

Price
XXXXXX

4 lines that all can potentially score, plenty of interchangeable parts.

Cooke has consistently scored 10-15 goals in a 3rd line role, I think he would also create a lot of room for Eller and Kostitsyn
If you want to bring Cooke... at least get an enforcer that will clean up his mess... or else you can say goodbye to a lot of our small skilled forwards that will be targeted by the rest of the league.

Really, how in these times and after the Pacioretty injury can you wish for a player like Cooke being part of this organisation.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I'm a little indifferent to him personally although the sand paper he's shown this season certainly interests me.

My issue with Pouliot is that he is a bit of a head case and a completely different player offensively when he's confident. He has great offensive instinct and when he's confident he also uses his size effectively to get into the dirty areas and battle for the puck. When he's not confident he doesn't use his size effectively to create offense and looks to get into shooting position (which isn't a bad thing as he's got a great shot).

The problem is we need him to be the player he is when he plays confident and, unfortunately, he doesn't play with confidence too often. It's great that he gets into shooting position but when he plays with Plekanec/Cammelleri or Gomez/Gionta they need him to be in front of the net to collect rebounds or in the corners. This is why, in part due to the competition he faces with 3rd/4th line duties, playing him with Darche and Desharnais has been so effective as it creates a balanced line and allows Pouliot to get into shooting positions.

As for signing him next year I think it depends on a couple questions: How we intend to use him and how much he costs at the end of this season. Personally I like him in the role he plays now but if they plan on using him as a first/second line player I'd rather see another player who is more consistent and a little more adept to playing a role take it, particularly because we are still not sure what Gomez we'll get in the playoffs/next season. Given Martin's reluctance to take Gomez off the second line this season I think consistency in production and balance on our top offensive lines is a top priority going into next season, especially because, while Gomez plays as he does now, they are very unbalanced.

On a side note, I'd like to see Ryan White get a good look with Eller/Kostitsyn. Not that Moen hasn't been great there but his hands are made of stone which has lead to a few blown offensive opportunities.
I just can't wrap my head around Benny. The skill is there. The size is there. But I don't think he ever puts it all together.

1- His balance is terrible. I've enver seen someone so easily to knock over or just plain fall as much as he does. But that coudl be worked on.

2- He just doesn't seem to have the desire/confidence to put it all together with any sort of consistency. And he seems to ahve more bad games than good by a fair margin. AK can put together a good month before going into a 9 week slump... I'm not sure I want 2 players that you can't rely on like that.

Too bad because I like Benny, I just don't think he can be a true top 6 contributor.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
billy piton

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.800m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / David Desharnais ($0.700m) Ryan White ($0.550m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Aleksei Emelin ($0.900m) Yannick Weber ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Karri Ramo ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,802,976; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $297,024

billy piton is online now   Reply With Quote