HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Player protective gear

Old
03-23-2011, 02:00 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Player protective gear

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_17677980

Comfort and habit are two reasons players don't wear protective visors, hand/arm or leg gear.

Quote:
"Hockey players are idiots," said Cornell-educated [San Jose Sharks player] Douglas Murray, who doesn't wear the protective material. "You have to get hurt first so you know the value of it. That's what we do.
"I didn't put a visor on until I took a puck in the eye and scratched my cornea," the defenseman continued. "You don't think you need stuff, and then you add on as you hurt yourself. It's plain stupid."

So, should it be a choice, or should it be mandated?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I'm against mandating it at the professional level simply because you can never mandate out a risk of injury, and grown men have the right to be idiots if they want to. If there's a significant insurance benefit to requiring the extra gear, then you can start making a more realistic argument for it at the professional level.

Mandating "optional" protective gear for amateurs and minors is a different matter. In that case, you need to figure out the actual cost-benefit radio and safety benefit of something like kevlar-lined socks. Preventing one nasty cut injury sounds great, but if the linings are ridiculously expensive and only prevent one moderate injury per 1,000 kids per season, then it just adds another entry barrier to an already expensive sport.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Kebekoi

They should put the new protection equipment mendatory for new players, like the helmet. Let the old geezers hurt themselves and Cherry whine.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
TCNorthstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_17677980

Comfort and habit are two reasons players don't wear protective visors, hand/arm or leg gear.

So, should it be a choice, or should it be mandated?
One player didn't wear the socks becuase they felt a little different?

I would make it optional with a caveat. If you choose to not wear it and you suffer an injury that could have been prevented if you had worn it, you forfiet your salary for all games missed due to said injury.

The guys that pay the salaries have the right to protect their investment.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote