HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early 2000's Super Team

Old
03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
matsblue13

vCash: 500
Early 2000's Super Team

Why didn't the Rangers team of the early 2000's work? I was only 10 years old, but I remember Fleury, Bure, Lindros, Messier and Leetch on those teams. Any one reason why they didn't even make the playoffs?

matsblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post
Why didn't the Rangers team of the early 2000's work? I was only 10 years old, but I remember Fleury, Bure, Lindros, Messier and Leetch on those teams. Any one reason why they didn't even make the playoffs?
coaching, no Lundqvist and too many stars not working as a team.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Richard Brads

no chemistry.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

One of the problems (among many others) was goaltending. Homqvist, Hebert, and Dunham are names that don't exactly intimidate other teams. Blackburn was rushed in due to injuries.

Also, Bure was awesome when he played, but he missed so many games that he couldn't carry the team.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:41 AM
OverTheCap

Looks good on paper, but they were all past their prime and/or injured. Fleury had major issues off the ice, Lindros was never the same after his concussions, Bure had nagging knee problems, and Messier was too old and probably should have retired earlier. Leetch was still decent but entering the twilight of his career.

Also, the defense and goaltending were pretty bad. All of these elements combined with no prospects coming out of the system was a recipe for disaster.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Nemchinov13

No dedication, horrid coaching, lack of homegrowns who were willing to have their arm cut off for the franchise, no farm system for the injury call ups, bare cupboard. If you look at the draft record from 95-01, you'll see that there are only Savard, Malhotra and Tyutin (off the top of my head) who are still playing in NHL. 7 years of drafting to produce 3 legitimate NHL players (nevermind the freak accidents of Cherneski and Blackburn).

Edit: 02-03 hasn't produced any NHL talent either. Lord have mercy.

Edit 2: Except for Henke.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

For awhile we had a forward lineup of

Nedved-Lindros-Bure
Barnaby-Messier-Carter
LaCatoure-Holik-Kovalev
Petrovicky-Lundmark-McCarthy

Or something ridiculous like that. Couple reasons we never made the playoffs;

Bure's injuries
The one season we got good offense, Richter had a bad year
Poor coaching (Trottier, Low)
Defense (Aside from Leetch, we were anchored by guys like Mironov, Malakov, Karpa, Purinton, Ulanov, Poti, Bouchard, Cross)

03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Most people on those teams wouldn't get themselves dirty, the stars were past their prime, horrible coaching, no chemistry, and not developing prospects the right way.

There was actually some decent stuff on those teams.

The top 6 Dmen could have been if managed properly going back to the mid 90s; Leetch, Zubov, Norstrom, Kloucek, Johnson, Zidlicky which is a pretty good top 6.

Bad injuries to Blackburn and Kloucek hurt, not waiting to develop..I could go on forever.

Still Savard, Malholtra, and Knuble could've been decent pieces but whatever, it's over now and time to look to the present and future.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

-A week prior to checking into rehab, Fleury was leading the league in points that one year. They were in first place in December or January one year and then Lindros, Nedved and Messier all got injured within a few weeks of each other and the wheels fell apart.

-If Bure doesn't get hurt (and that was a dirty knee on knee hit by Curtis Brown), the Rangers fortunes would have changed dramatically prior to the lockout. He was still phenomenal when that happened. If he stays healthy that year, and they trade for Kovalev, I believe they would have been a lethal duo and Kovalev would have been far more motivated.

-Messier put up points, but defensively he was terrible. Should have hung up his skates a lot earlier.

-The defense and goaltending, other than Leetch and Richter, was horrifying.

-Signing Holik was a horrible, horrible decision. He's not a horrible player, but he was all wrong for this team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
-A week prior to checking into rehab, Fleury was leading the league in points that one year. They were in first place in December or January one year and then Lindros, Nedved and Messier all got injured within a few weeks of each other and the wheels fell apart.

-If Bure doesn't get hurt (and that was a dirty knee on knee hit by Curtis Brown), the Rangers fortunes would have changed dramatically prior to the lockout. He was still phenomenal when that happened. If he stays healthy that year, and they trade for Kovalev, I believe they would have been a lethal duo and Kovalev would have been far more motivated.

-Messier put up points, but defensively he was terrible. Should have hung up his skates a lot earlier.

-Signing Holik was a horrible, horrible decision. He's not a horrible player, but he was all wrong for this team.
I remember that year, Bure scored on a one timer, while diving through the air to get himself in a position to get the shot off. The pass was 3 feet too far in front of him. To this day ive never seen anyone do that. Its too bad he had those injuries, because he had a tremendous work ethic and conditioning regimen. Who knows, his career may have been similar to Selanee's had he stayed healthy.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:00 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Bure was able to manufacture breakaways out of nothing with the two-line pass rule still in effect and clutching and grabbing still rampant. I would have loved to see what he could do with the league the way it is now.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Nemchinov13

In 98, if I remember correctly, Rangers had a deal for Burke's Nucks: Sundstrom, Cloutier, 1st round pick, something else for Bure. Then Burke wanted Malhotra on top of that and Smith bucked. At the time, being 20 and knowing a lot less than I know now, I approved of Smith's decision. Hindsight is 20/20

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
In 98, if I remember correctly, Rangers had a deal for Burke's Nucks: Sundstrom, Cloutier, 1st round pick, something else for Bure. Then Burke wanted Malhotra on top of that and Smith bucked. At the time, being 20 and knowing a lot less than I know now, I approved of Smith's decision. Hindsight is 20/20
I specifically remember reading in the papers that Malhotra was going to be "captain material."

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Bure I believe could have played well in to his 40s if not for that injury he was so good shame to see injuries end him

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Bure I believe could have played well in to his 40s if not for that injury he was so good shame to see injuries end him
Yeah, so much talent. I remember him in his heyday with Vancouver and even Florida, no one could catch him when he had the puck with a burst of speed.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Bure was one of the most fun players to watch EVER.

Explosive speed, incredible moves, could shoot a lethal wrist shot from any angle AND had a slapper and a snap shot to boot.