HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Jon Merrill (2010, 38th overall, New Jersey)

Old
02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
JFA87-66-99

vCash: 500
LD Jon Merrill (2010, 38th overall, New Jersey)

I'm having a difficult time finding information on this kid. Is there any sites that I could get a scouting report? Is he more of an offensive or defensive Defenseman? Anything insight would be apprieciated. Thanks

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Heat McManus

I've been trying for a while. The only stuff I found out was from the coach of one of the girl's teams when they were at my rink for a tournament. He said he's a great skater who takes the body, but needs to grow into his frame (at that age, most kids do). It was 8am, and the guy wasn't up to talking too much about it. Wish he was though.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:41 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

John is the closest thing to a Chris Pronger clone as you can get. The kid is is so smart on the ice, he controls the play with and without the puck, he has good hands with the puck, very confident in bringing the puck up the ice, from the blue line he has a booming slapshot and great one timer, very good vision and passing skills, he is able to create offense from the point. On defense he is able to play very good positional play taking away passing lanes and keeping his man contained, he is also getting better at using his size and is physical as well. He is so smart, the guy is the full package and by 2010 draft could be better than Gormley and Fowler.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
I noticed ISS had him ranked #2 for the upcoming OHL draft. Will he go there or does he prefer college?

Savi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:59 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
I noticed ISS had him ranked #2 for the upcoming OHL draft. Will he go there or does he prefer college?
I am pretty sure he already commited to NCAA.

Old
02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
He has committed to Michigan

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:12 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...l?teamid=22329

here is Merrills stats for the team...he is a 92 born playing for the u18 team, players his age are playing for the U16 teams.

Old
02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
hfboardsuser

Among current NCAAers, I'd say a good comp for Merrill is Jeff Petry. Such an unusual mix of an speed, offensive awareness, size, and rollicking physical play.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
I am pretty sure he already commited to NCAA.
Okay. Well, wasn't Matt Duchene also committed to Michigan (SU)? And look, he's is in the OHL right now

Savi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

yes Duchene was committed to Michigan St

Old
02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Hawks28

Quote:
he is currently ranked 4th for the O draft.

Hawks28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
He has committed to Michigan
Quote:
Okay. Well, wasn't Matt Duchene also committed to Michigan (SU)? And look, he's is in the OHL right now
Quote:
yes Duchene was committed to Michigan St
First of all, a verbal commitment to a school -- like the one Merrill has made to Michigan -- means one thing and one thing only. It means that if Jon Merrill plays U.S. college hockey, he will do so for Michigan. All this does is stop other colleges from trying to recruit him.

Merrill is not under contract to play for Michigan, nor is he obligated to play U.S. college hockey. He has options to play in the USHL, play U.S. high school, or play major junior. It's a free market and any team from those leagues could make overtures to try to get him to play there. Just like Michigan has recruited him to play U.S. college hockey. NCAA doesn't use a draft. This is their process.

If any team does convince him to play somewhere other than Michigan, they are not stealing his services, as some NCAA fans might suggest.

USHL, high school, or major junior teams are just as entitled to recruit him as Michigan was. The difference being Michigan can do it earlier. Merrill committed to Michigan at the age of 14, but junior teams have to wait until a player is 16 before they draft a player.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
By the way, anybody heard why Merrill hasn't played yet for U-17 team. Is he hurt?

Old
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
By the way, anybody heard why Merrill hasn't played yet for U-17 team. Is he hurt?
Recovering from shoulder surgery...should be back this weekend.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Quote:
Recovering from shoulder surgery...should be back this weekend.
Thank you.

Was it an off-season injury? Was it serious enough to affect his long-term upside as a prospect?

Old
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

I don't know that information...just speculation I don't think it will affect his upside...time will tell.

Old
10-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Johnny Snake Eyes

ya he was back last night, usdp lost to 5-3, he was -1.

Johnny Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
i love staal

His shoulder is healing just fine, but he is the best defenseman on the 1992 team. He is like 6 3 180, can skate like the wind, extremely mobile, has a blistering shot, vision, hands, and sometimes can get physical. He definiteyl needs to pakc on some pounds, but he can defintely be a top 10 pick come 2010. Absolutely incredible prospect.

i love staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:41 PM
bobermay

Any Update on this Kid? Top 10 pick? Is he still developing well? Fowler is better, I realize, but how does Merrill compare to him?

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love staal View Post
His shoulder is healing just fine, but he is the best defenseman on the 1992 team. He is like 6 3 180, can skate like the wind, extremely mobile, has a blistering shot, vision, hands, and sometimes can get physical. He definiteyl needs to pakc on some pounds, but he can defintely be a top 10 pick come 2010. Absolutely incredible prospect.
To expand on that, he's simiar to Erik Johnson at the same age. The offensive side of the game wasn't all there for Erik when he was 16 and he was similar size, 6-3 185 or so. Similarly, Jon Merrill's offensive game isn't all there yet, but he also had that injury to start off the year. The coaches brought him in slowly and by the U-18s he was getting back to 100%. This season I expect him to make similar progress as Erik and really step up as a legitimate top 10 prospect. He has all the same tools and size as EJ and could be a similar player if everything goes well. I also expect his physical game to pick up and his weight training will be stepped up now that his shoulder is healthy.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:39 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
To expand on that, he's simiar to Erik Johnson at the same age. The offensive side of the game wasn't all there for Erik when he was 16 and he was similar size, 6-3 185 or so. Similarly, Jon Merrill's offensive game isn't all there yet, but he also had that injury to start off the year. The coaches brought him in slowly and by the U-18s he was getting back to 100%. This season I expect him to make similar progress as Erik and really step up as a legitimate top 10 prospect. He has all the same tools and size as EJ and could be a similar player if everything goes well. I also expect his physical game to pick up and his weight training will be stepped up now that his shoulder is healthy.
I'm not really sure that Merrill's offensive game will ever come close to EJ's, but we'll see. Either way, he looks like a very safe NHL pick and in the middle of the first, he will likely be a great pick up.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:59 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I don't think Merrill will be nearly as good as EJ. He's got a lot of great tools but I don't think he is as skilled as Johnson was at the same age. I'd be thrilled if I ended up being wrong though.

I'm more excited about Derek Forbort as far as the NTDP U18s go. He's another guy that has been compared to EJ but he's more of an unknown around here cause he played in Minnesota high school last year. I haven't seen him personally but from what I've heard he's supposed to be excellant.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scouting Report View Post
I'm not really sure that Merrill's offensive game will ever come close to EJ's, but we'll see. Either way, he looks like a very safe NHL pick and in the middle of the first, he will likely be a great pick up.
It's hard to say at this point. He doesn't quite have his shot or vision on the ice, but similar tools otherwise. Then again, at the same age Erik really didn't have his offensive game either. He had the tools, but was raw and unrefined. He came into the program as a big stay-at-home kid. He really broke out during his U-18 season. Merrill reminded me of Erik when he played with the U-18 team for 10+ games (may have been more, I can't remember) last year as an underager. I'm not a scout, but I thought he did just as well as Erik did when he moved up as an underager.

I'd wait and see until next season to really judge his offensive upside when he'll be counted on as the quarterback and catalyst from the backend as he starts the season 100% healthy.

Old
08-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I don't think Merrill will be nearly as good as EJ. He's got a lot of great tools but I don't think he is as skilled as Johnson was at the same age. I'd be thrilled if I ended up being wrong though.
I don't think he'll be quite at his level, but then again EJ really stepped up his development his 2nd year with the program and I think Merrill will do the same, just maybe not to that extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I'm more excited about Derek Forbort as far as the NTDP U18s go. He's another guy that has been compared to EJ but he's more of an unknown around here cause he played in Minnesota high school last year. I haven't seen him personally but from what I've heard he's supposed to be excellant.
He's similarly agile and quick for his size from what I've seen -- so he definitely shares those traits. However, I haven't seen enough of him to tell you anything beyond that. He certainly seems smart and skilled, I'm looking forward to seeing him with Merrill this year.

Saad and Forbort are two of the best 2nd year additions that I can remember.

Old
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
It's hard to say at this point. He doesn't quite have his shot or vision on the ice, but similar tools otherwise. Then again, at the same age Erik really didn't have his offensive game either. He had the tools, but was raw and unrefined. He came into the program as a big stay-at-home kid. He really broke out during his U-18 season. Merrill reminded me of Erik when he played with the U-18 team for 10+ games (may have been more, I can't remember) last year as an underager. I'm not a scout, but I thought he did just as well as Erik did when he moved up as an underager.

I'd wait and see until next season to really judge his offensive upside when he'll be counted on as the quarterback and catalyst from the backend as he starts the season 100% healthy.
Johnson did take a step forward offensively his U18 year, but he was a lot further ahead to begin with. Merrill only had 3 points in 24 games this year with the U17 team, Johnson had 26 points in 57 games.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote