HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hammond confirms jersey change for next season?

Old
03-21-2011, 02:34 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
We'll have the plainest, most amateur looking jerseys in the entire NHL next season.

Is there something we can do about this I wonder? Management needs to be made aware that these jersey's are a downgrade.

Sure they've sold a lot, but new jerseys alway do, once the "newness" wears off, everyone will realize how bland these things really are.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:38 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
the problem with the vintage jerseys becoming our regular ones is the team would be wearing bright yellow on the road........do you think this might be tied into the new football team that AEG is bound to get eventually and these might coincide with the new team colors ?
They can wear white on the road. I doubt the NHL would want the visiting team in gold.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:41 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
We'll have the plainest, most amateur looking jerseys in the entire NHL next season.

Is there something we can do about this I wonder? Management needs to be made aware that these jersey's are a downgrade.

Sure they've sold a lot, but new jerseys alway do, once the "newness" wears off, everyone will realize how bland these things really are.
That's more to the point as this is clearly all just merchandising but if they are going to ask the fans what our actual team colors should be which I think that at this point would be a neat PR thing to do in a minor way then I would say that they cut bait or fish.

If they are going black white silver whatever then leave the purple and gold alone.

If they are going Purple and Gold then step away from the black white silver.

Of course there can be 3rd jersey exceptions all day long and even other colors (except green, that color brought about a bad night) but stop all of the switching and pick an identity.

The Flea'rs have their great pumpkin colors.

The Killer B's have the buzzing yellow/bleyak

The Habs have their Habiforms.

How about the Kings go with the purple and gold, its what most fans over 35 identify them as anyways?

I understand the Casucks getting rid of their hideous yellow with a blackish weird stripe thingy and the skate uni's. They should have stuck with the good old jerseys with the canuck on the front but who cares.

When they changed they went in one direction and have stuck to keeping things around it for the most part.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:43 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The greatest uniform's in my opinion ever where the old barber striped 67 jerseys. Black White Red top to bottom, even the socks. Other teams have had them but man I loved those uni's.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:49 AM
yankeeking

whenever you get stuff from the team or your reps the third jersey emblem is on everyone so you knew this was coming, remember what JR said on overtime the other night in hockey they like KISS theory and the third jersey is basically pretty simple

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Ollie Weeks

I like it. Would prefer to keep the black ones as the alternate and go with the forum blue and gold full time. Those things are all kinds of bad ass. Don't really mind that they're both recycled from the past, either.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Shellz

I wonder if they're going to ask the school who did the black ones to do the white ones now? Hmm.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I like the current thirds, but would welcome a new logo on the front. I'm skeptical about a white version of those, but I'll hold judgment until I see them.

I just wish they would ditch their current home jerseys altogether and use the purple/gold as the third jerseys instead.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
I like the current black jerseys, but I'm not sure about the white version. I'll hold my judgement till I see it.

Anyone good with photoshop?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:38 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Both the new ones have grown on me. I say out with the old in general. Keep the vintage and the new.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
reset
Puck Luck

i love the black, white silver combo... hopefully theyll change the front logo, preferably to the vintage crown, if indeed they go that route

the purple and gold... i love these uni's but only as a third

reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Whiskeypete

if they indeed are going with the current 3rd's (with an accompanying road version) then management is seriously off their rocker. since day one there has been as much love/hate for them as there is for the current home/road. when you are looking to 'rebrand' your product you look to minimize any negative push back from your audience.

the jersey and color combos are ok, but the home plate logo is awful. imo it's almost an after thought. to me i think it was a compromise as a result of not being able to come up with something good or indecision over a few choices. they would be better off going either with the retro crown (silver/black version of it), or the old chevy logo. those would look better than the home plate. also keep the 'Los Angeles' on the bottom edge as it looks good and is distinctive to LA's uni

ideally they should move back to the forum blue and gold. they created a serious buzz with the retro's with LA fans and NHL fans in general. everyone from the talking heads to other team's fans think they look bad ass. why throw out something that is highly liked and completely distinctive? stupidity is my guess, because b/w just looks badass. BLAH! two good indicators of just how sought after these jerseys are forum threads and ebay. you dont see threads asking about the current 3rds. you don't see as many ebay auctions of the current 3rds, as you do the retros (even though they are awful versions). people want the blue/gold retros.....so give them what they want.

they could easily tone down a road version gold jersey, which some people think may be a contributing factor for not going this way. i agree they would have to be. i wouldn't care to see the gold jersey/pants/socks combo - that was just outright FUGLY. road uni could be blue helmet and pants, socks are primary blue with a gold stripe and the jersey is gold but with blue shoulders, arm stripe and bottom edge. logo would and should be the crown on the current retros

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
KoopsKings

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=826820

Found this from a while ago.. "leaked third jersey" looks like the shield is still all black on the white uni.

KoopsKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Its the whole silver and black and white thing that is total bs to me. The reason that the purple and gold worked so well is that they were ugly and different. They identified the team from all others and that was cool.
The purple and gold were (are!) NOT ugly! They're totally cool! A simple (not simplistic), well coordinated design.

I'm not saying they should be the home/road selection again, but I do love seeing the purple again. Whatever jersey choice the team makes, I"d like to see them bring back the gold jerseys (WITH the gold pants!) every few years as a 3rd. They could do yr 1: gold jersey 2: purple jersey 3: skip a year or 2 - then rotate them again.

My jersey choices are:

1A. pre-RBK black/white/purple/silver - current crown logo (with wide bottom hozontal strip at bottom)

1B. Gretzky-era black/silver/white - chevron silver logo. (these still are so hot)

2 - 6. any other Kings jersey logo/jersey you can think of.

7. current home plate 3rds (LOL!!), even bring in a white jersey if they like, I will never spend $0.10 on this terrible jersey & logo design. The only good thing about this jersey is the black helmet: they use their '90s era logo.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I hope all of you Purple and Gold advocates are buying the jerseys like hot cakes. This is purely a business decision and while the poll on Hammond's blog says people are in favor of the purplge and gold, are you also voting with your wallets?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

As much as many people here seem to have a distinct disdain for the black and white jerseys, the Kings sell a **** ton of them. Its pretty obvious why they are switching, the vast majority of people like them and are wearing them.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
The black and white chevron jerseys suck so badly. I do not get the appeal at all.

Yeah, concur. Hate, well, strongly dislike, those sweaters.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
CNS
A World Alone

PROTEST!!!!!!!!

I hate this news. If you told me the purple and yellow vintage jerseys were to become our home jerseys, i'd be ecstatic. gah. I like our current jerseys. They could maybe use a new design for them but REALLY not happy losing the crown/purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I hope all of you Purple and Gold advocates are buying the jerseys like hot cakes. This is purely a business decision and while the poll on Hammond's blog says people are in favor of the purplge and gold, are you also voting with your wallets?
I just bought mine. Do your part and get yourselves a purple and gold jersey!

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
As much as many people here seem to have a distinct disdain for the black and white jerseys, the Kings sell a **** ton of them. Its pretty obvious why they are switching, the vast majority of people like them and are wearing them.
... Well, unquestionably that's the jersey which is easiest to buy. That's the one prominently featured at the souvenir stands and at the stores. In order to even look at one of the purple-trimmed jerseys, more than once I've had to move some of the newer black ones out of the way. Ever since one of the team's management flunky's third-grade kids designed that jersey, it's pretty obvious that the Kings have tried to push it through the roof.

I hope that the vintage uniforms somehow have a place next season. They've been terrific. I don't have any problems with the Gretzky-era crests, either - the franchise saw about 95% of its success in those jerseys, so they definitely have some history behind them as well.

... This design is ingenious, and with the old-style helmet decals it would be absolutely perfect - which is precisely why it will never come to pass. It makes TOO much sense.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

... This design is ingenious, and with the old-style helmet decals it would be absolutely perfect - which is precisely why it will never come to pass. It makes TOO much sense.
That's a great look! I agree it would look better with the old helmet decals. That mockup is much better than the current home plate thirds by far.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Color me disappointed!

They def. DID NOT get a feel from the fans before doing this.... Purple is what sets us apart. Make as unique. (and it's my favirote color)

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 03-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.
CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm indifferent to all of them. None of the options strike me as something I have to buy or want to wear when I play ice hockey. My favorite jersey is still the white Kings home Gretzky era so I guess I'm in the minority.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
kynen

Quote:
I hope that the vintage uniforms somehow have a place next season. They've been terrific. I don't have any problems with the Gretzky-era crests, either - the franchise saw about 95% of its success in those jerseys, so they definitely have some history behind them as well.

YES! The only thing wrong with the alternate black jerseys is the stupid home plate logo, it sucks. You can't just change our logo, our IDENTITY every 4th year. The mockup jersey above is great, I'd vote for that. I'd buy one of those instantly if they became reality. The vintage jerseys are great and I'd vote for that jersey as our alternate.

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I wonder if they're going to ask the school who did the black ones to do the white ones now? Hmm.
just saw your post in the old thread about these. FIDM designed the current alternate?

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:

Where the hell did this design come from? Its beautiful.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote