HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hammond confirms jersey change for next season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
  #51
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
My favorite jersey is still the white Kings home Gretzky era so I guess I'm in the minority.
... I love that jersey design, too. I have a white Gretzky authentic replica from 90-91.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
  #52
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I love that jersey design, too. I have a white Gretzky authentic replica from 90-91.
That jersey just seems very simple and clean which is what jerseys that last a long time require. I have a black Tocchet jersey, one of these days I have to finally buy a white one, maybe a Rob Cowie jersey?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
  #53
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, unquestionably that's the jersey which is easiest to buy. That's the one prominently featured at the souvenir stands and at the stores. In order to even look at one of the purple-trimmed jerseys, more than once I've had to move some of the newer black ones out of the way. Ever since one of the team's management flunky's third-grade kids designed that jersey, it's pretty obvious that the Kings have tried to push it through the roof.

I hope that the vintage uniforms somehow have a place next season. They've been terrific. I don't have any problems with the Gretzky-era crests, either - the franchise saw about 95% of its success in those jerseys, so they definitely have some history behind them as well.



... This design is ingenious, and with the old-style helmet decals it would be absolutely perfect - which is precisely why it will never come to pass. It makes TOO much sense.
I do love that design you pictured. I saw that a while ago and its purely awesome.

As far as whether the current third sells because the team forced it down our throats or because people like them... well that's not an argument we can really have. It sounds a little conspiracy theorist. They could put nothing but the burger king jerseys on the racks and I don't think that would make people buy them. To have that argument we are really talking about consumer tendencies and economic philosophy and not really about the Kings, their fans or the quality/appeal of the various jerseys.

The only thing we know for sure is that people buy the hell out of them, whatever the reason. Personally, I see more of those jerseys on fans' backs than I do any other jersey.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
  #54
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Seems like maybe it would be a good idea if they would tap into the fan base and ask them what they want. Maybe have a design contest among fans and/or then have people (maybe the season ticket holder base) vote on the best one. I've seen a lot of good ideas out there. I'd like to see some combination of the Gretzky era colors and then purple and golds for thirds or vice versa. Either works for me but I think it is time to do away with the purple/silver/black as those jerseys (in all forms) are representative of the worst era in Kings hockey EVER. And that REALLY is saying something.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
  #55
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is there a website that tracks jerseys sales for NHL teams?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
  #56
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
see if i got this setup right. let's get some polls going......

Kings Colors poll http://poll.fm/2u0u2

Jersey choice to purchase http://poll.fm/2u0vz

Logo choice http://poll.fm/2u0xa

Jersey lifespan/tradition http://poll.fm/2u0y1

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
  #57
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas
 
RAZZIE King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Roach Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
I WAS going to say that the jerseys should change every time they start moving the other jerseys out of the way on their own...but thought better of it...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
  #58
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
They could put nothing but the burger king jerseys on the racks and I don't think that would make people buy them.
... I would TOTALLY buy them, but then I'm a bit eclectic (strange?) that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
That jersey just seems very simple and clean which is what jerseys that last a long time require. I have a black Tocchet jersey, one of these days I have to finally buy a white one, maybe a Rob Cowie jersey?
... You misspelled "Paul Coffey".

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
  #59
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I do love that design you pictured. I saw that a while ago and its purely awesome.

As far as whether the current third sells because the team forced it down our throats or because people like them... well that's not an argument we can really have. It sounds a little conspiracy theorist. They could put nothing but the burger king jerseys on the racks and I don't think that would make people buy them. To have that argument we are really talking about consumer tendencies and economic philosophy and not really about the Kings, their fans or the quality/appeal of the various jerseys.

The only thing we know for sure is that people buy the hell out of them, whatever the reason. Personally, I see more of those jerseys on fans' backs than I do any other jersey.
It sells because it's new, and stylistically not completely outlandish like the BK jerseys. Once the newness wears off, I think people will realize these jersey's are an obvious downgrade. They're the 2nd worse jerseys in team history.

And I think opinion has already somewhat turned on them. Most of the posts in thread have been negative to lukewarm.


Last edited by johnjm22: 03-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.
johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
  #60
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It sells because it's new, and stylistically not completely outlandish like the BK jerseys. Once the newness wears off, I think people will realize these jersey's are an obvious downgrade. They're the 2nd the worse jerseys in team history.

And I think opinion has already somewhat turned on them. Most of the posts in thread have been negative to lukewarm.
Most of the people on this forum don't even attend many Kings games.

If you haven't already noticed, the folks here (unfortunately... for the most part) don't really represent who the Kings target.

This thread is what, 50 someodd posts long? It has no bearing on anything and can't even be taken as a proper sample. Too small, too niche, too not gonna put a ton of money in Anschutz' pockets.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
  #61
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Most of the people on this forum don't even attend many Kings games.

If you haven't already noticed, the folks here (unfortunately... for the most part) don't really represent who the Kings target.

This thread is what, 50 someodd posts long? It has no bearing on anything and can't even be taken as a proper sample. Too small, too niche, too not gonna put a ton of money in Anschutz' pockets.
Yeah exactly. And that is why I mentiond that I hope the people advocating the team switching to purple and gold full time have bought jerseys. I rarely buy jerseys. the last two I got were a free Luc signed 3rd jersey from my season tickets a few years back and a $20 Quincey third jersey from the Kings big summer sale the summer he was traded.

People can hate on the current third all they want but they are without a doubt the most popular jersey with my circle of Kings fans which is about 40 people. Most of the younger ones (early 20's) have those jerseys. Like I've said before, I don't really care which jerseys they wear I just hate the current home/away because of what they signify. Futility. It just seems pretty evident that the most popular jerseys right now are the thirds by virtue of numbers at the arena. Believe me, if the Kings could sell you another purple and gold one, they'd shoving those down your throats and marketing those as well. Something tells me those are popular with the older crowd and probably aren't selling as well.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
  #62
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The purple and gold were (are!) NOT ugly! They're totally cool! A simple (not simplistic), well coordinated design.

I'm not saying they should be the home/road selection again, but I do love seeing the purple again. Whatever jersey choice the team makes, I"d like to see them bring back the gold jerseys (WITH the gold pants!) every few years as a 3rd. They could do yr 1: gold jersey 2: purple jersey 3: skip a year or 2 - then rotate them again.

My jersey choices are:

1A. pre-RBK black/white/purple/silver - current crown logo (with wide bottom hozontal strip at bottom)

1B. Gretzky-era black/silver/white - chevron silver logo. (these still are so hot)

2 - 6. any other Kings jersey logo/jersey you can think of.

7. current home plate 3rds (LOL!!), even bring in a white jersey if they like, I will never spend $0.10 on this terrible jersey & logo design. The only good thing about this jersey is the black helmet: they use their '90s era logo.
The new versions are nice looking but the old gold with gold pants and socks were imo ugly and great at the same time. They said "its friggin hockey not a fashion show" and we all loved them.

It could have been worse, we could have gone the Cooperalls route.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
  #63
Cruel11
Son, just don't.
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 15,964
vCash: 500
We should try sending in some feedback. It worked to some degree for the Lightning.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
  #64
BamBam1031
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post


... This design is ingenious, and with the old-style helmet decals it would be absolutely perfect - which is precisely why it will never come to pass. It makes TOO much sense.
Wow, where did you get that? It's freaking GREAT!

I think hockey fans overall would prefer the crown logo. My guess is the plain jane "LA" home plate logo is designed to appeal to a wider demographic (read: casual hockey fans) for greater sales. I'm okay with the overall design, same for the white version.

That jersey pictured above is freaking GREAT, though. Did I say that already?

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
  #65
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Wow, where did you get that? It's freaking GREAT!

I think hockey fans overall would prefer the crown logo. My guess is the plain jane "LA" home plate logo is designed to appeal to a wider demographic (read: casual hockey fans) for greater sales. I'm okay with the overall design, same for the white version.

That jersey pictured above is freaking GREAT, though. Did I say that already?
You did, and I did too, but I'm going to quote you anyway while saying that they are amazing -again.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
  #66
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I love that jersey design, too. I have a white Gretzky authentic replica from 90-91.
Thats still my all time favorite jersey and I didnt buy another one until they released the third jersey last season. I dont like the current purple and black jerseys.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
  #67
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
expanded on another person's idea further. i think most people's fear/hatred/distaste would come from having the road uni's all gold like they were at one point. myself included, that was hidious. i think this jersey which is the Wild jersey revamped for LA would do the job.

my PS skills seriously suck, but i think you get the idea. i added three things that i feel better reflect the history and also people's opinion's on what was needed.

an updated regal lion of some sort to get rid of the stupid one theyve used with the sunglasses. they could be placed on the shoulder cap area to help break up the gold.

an updated crown, because many feel the current crown is crap and the 'old school -legends' one looks like a queen's crown.

last i added the Los Angeles to the bottom. i immediately liked when they added it a decade ago, because no other team was doing it and it set LA apart.

like i said the PS image is ****, but you get the idea.


Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
  #68
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Most of the people on this forum don't even attend many Kings games.

If you haven't already noticed, the folks here (unfortunately... for the most part) don't really represent who the Kings target.

This thread is what, 50 someodd posts long? It has no bearing on anything and can't even be taken as a proper sample. Too small, too niche, too not gonna put a ton of money in Anschutz' pockets.
It's hard to say whether or not the posters on this board are representative of the Kings target. No one knows, and of course this thread is irrelevant. That's obvious.

Hammond has a poll up, 3,700 votes. Only 33% of respondents are saying the current 3rd is their favorite jersey.

I still think that this 3rd's retail success is based, for the most part, on the simple fact that it's new. The silver lining is that they're still better than any of Anaheim's current jerseys. I think we can all agree that those things are complete crap.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
  #69
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah exactly. And that is why I mentiond that I hope the people advocating the team switching to purple and gold full time have bought jerseys. I rarely buy jerseys. the last two I got were a free Luc signed 3rd jersey from my season tickets a few years back and a $20 Quincey third jersey from the Kings big summer sale the summer he was traded.

People can hate on the current third all they want but they are without a doubt the most popular jersey with my circle of Kings fans which is about 40 people. Most of the younger ones (early 20's) have those jerseys. Like I've said before, I don't really care which jerseys they wear I just hate the current home/away because of what they signify. Futility. It just seems pretty evident that the most popular jerseys right now are the thirds by virtue of numbers at the arena. Believe me, if the Kings could sell you another purple and gold one, they'd shoving those down your throats and marketing those as well. Something tells me those are popular with the older crowd and probably aren't selling as well.
What Kings jersey isn't associated with futility?

Some of the darkest years in franchise history were with those Gretzky era white/black/silver jerseys.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
  #70
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's hard to say whether or not the posters on this board are representative of the Kings target. No one knows, and of course this thread is irrelevant. That's obvious.

Hammond has a poll up, 3,700 votes. Only 33% of respondents are saying the current 3rd is their favorite jersey.

I still think that this 3rd's retail success is based, for the most part, on the simple fact that it's new. The silver lining is that they're still better than any of Anaheim's current jerseys. I think we can all agree that those things are complete crap.
True, particularly about Anaheim! ****ing morons with their moron jerseys. Orange sucks. Alot.

As for the poll, clicking is easy, but like Buddy said, are people voting the same way with their wallets? Personaally I have 3 current thirds (one was season tix free, one was a gift, one I bought at the end of last season). I also have 1 of the current regular jerseys and two of the first Staples jerseys. Most recently I bought one purple and gold Johnson jersey cause its awesome.

I disagree with the new factor. I think people like this jersey BECAUSE its pretty bland. Its something they can wear to work and/or out in public and not stick out like a sore thumb. I think that is a big appeal to your average fan who isn't totally nuts like we are here. It also hearkens back to the era people most remember, the Gretzky era. So I think it will still be a big seller even when the new luster has worn off (which in my opinion it already wore off a while ago). They are what, 3 years old now? Either way, time will tell who has fell and whose been left behind.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
  #71
Duc620
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Home = purple with crown
Away = white with crown

3rd = white with silver and black trim and LA "home plate"

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
  #72
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's hard to say whether or not the posters on this board are representative of the Kings target. No one knows, and of course this thread is irrelevant. That's obvious.

Hammond has a poll up, 3,700 votes. Only 33% of respondents are saying the current 3rd is their favorite jersey.

I still think that this 3rd's retail success is based, for the most part, on the simple fact that it's new. The silver lining is that they're still better than any of Anaheim's current jerseys. I think we can all agree that those things are complete crap.
That and as a couple of people have mentioned they are being pushed pretty hard at you in the Team LA store.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
  #73
ShattStar03
Registered User
 
ShattStar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Claremont, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, unquestionably that's the jersey which is easiest to buy. That's the one prominently featured at the souvenir stands and at the stores. In order to even look at one of the purple-trimmed jerseys, more than once I've had to move some of the newer black ones out of the way. Ever since one of the team's management flunky's third-grade kids designed that jersey, it's pretty obvious that the Kings have tried to push it through the roof.

I hope that the vintage uniforms somehow have a place next season. They've been terrific. I don't have any problems with the Gretzky-era crests, either - the franchise saw about 95% of its success in those jerseys, so they definitely have some history behind them as well.



... This design is ingenious, and with the old-style helmet decals it would be absolutely perfect - which is precisely why it will never come to pass. It makes TOO much sense.

That looks hella ugly.. Are you people serious? It looks like my old pee-wee Kings uniform.

As for the thirds been the new home jersey, I'm all in favor as long as they change the chevron logo and/or modify it.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
  #74
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
What Kings jersey isn't associated with futility?

Some of the darkest years in franchise history were with those Gretzky era white/black/silver jerseys.
The Kings came closest to ever winning a Cup wearing those jerseys so I disagree.

Man you really have to be careful how you word things around here. Usually I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. I typically make mention of the fact that they are representative of the worst period in Kings hockey. I believe the record with the current jerseys is the worst of any stretch in Kings history. Believe me, we're all Kings fans so we know how crappy they have been over the years but they were particularly bad from 2002-2009 during which the crown and the shield were worn on the current color scheme.

That is my personal reason for not liking them. LIke I said, i dont' really give a poop what jerseys they wear. But if you are actively lobbying for a specific jersey style that is out there (purple and gold) you might want to vote with your wallet or nobody is going to care.

I also disagree that team LA is some how pushing people or conditioning people to buy a certain jersey. I don't believe they have an agenda other than making money. People typically want somethign that is new, that is true. People usually like the things they buy. They don't go "those jerseys look like poop but they are new so I'll fork out $100 at this overpriced souvenir shop". People buy the third jersey because they like them, end of story. If the poll on Hammond's blog is representative of what is being sold in the store, I can guarantee you that you'll find them "pushing" them on people in no time.


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 03-21-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: poop is censored? nm i said ****.. lol!
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
  #75
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The only jersey I've seen listed on this site that I would immediately go out and buy is Adevandry's design which is a lot like the Lakers colors. And I have to say I hate basketball and could care less about the Lakers. Since Steve Duchesne stumbled out from behind the curtain when the Kings changed their jerseys I've really not had the the desire to buy any Kings jerseys.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.