Prospect camp times and invitees

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Prospect camp times and invitees

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...e-3513addb60e7

I will be doing some interviews during the camp. I'll take suggestions as to who you'd like to hear from, but I have found that I can't really do a good interview unless I actually really want to talk to the person and am curious about what they have to say. So if you make a suggestion, try to sell me on the person, otherwise I will go with those I naturally want to talk to most (and haven't already done, which eliminates several.

Old
07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd personally like to see an interview with Michael Vannelli. He started to really come along nicely with the Gophers late last season and I think he'll be even better this coming season. I'm hoping to see him have a more expanded role with the Gophers this coming season as well especially with the departures of Keith Ballard and Joey Martin.

The only questions, I'd have for Mike is what does he hope to accomplish/get out of the prospects camp and what, if anything, he hopes to bring back to Minnesota with him (learning experience-wise) from the camp.

Old
07-06-2004, 09:38 PM
ttnorm

I know you have interviewed Jeff Dwyer before, but I am curious if he completed his senior year at Yale and graduated given that he left for Chicago in mid semester.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
I know you have interviewed Jeff Dwyer before, but I am curious if he completed his senior year at Yale and graduated given that he left for Chicago in mid semester.
I believe that he did, Don said he went back to school after playing those games with Chicago.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:20 PM
dunwoody_joe

No Europeans?

I was hoping for an appearance by the likes of: Yuri Dobryshkin, Tobias Enstrom, Juraj Gracik, Samu Isosalo, Denis Loginov, Zdenek Smid and the ever elusive Ilja Nikulin. Can't be a good sign.

Maybe the the second goalie might be Adam Berkhoel.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
I was hoping for an appearance by the likes of: Yuri Dobryshkin, Tobias Enstrom, Juraj Gracik, Samu Isosalo, Denis Loginov, Zdenek Smid and the ever elusive Ilja Nikulin. Can't be a good sign.
Europeans almost never come to prospect camp $$$, I wouldn't read anything into that. Lehtonen last year was an exception.
Quote:
Maybe the the second goalie might be Adam Berkhoel.
I doubt they would add a true prospect this late. But you might see Steve Hartley or David Caruso again.

Old
07-07-2004, 12:13 PM
The Sneak

Tons of story lines here. One is the Giants in Gwinnett. You have Manson (6'8), Sipotz, Valabik (6'7), Baby and Coburn (6'5) all participating. Perhaps a look at the way these guys all move would be an interesting angle. To compare alleged smooth movers such as Coburn against hashers like Manson and Valabik?

Aquino should be an interesting angle. He is facing a rap that hints he may not be coachable despite his talents. How was he in camp? An eager student? What if anything could you glean from the player/coaches regarding his willingness to learn and accept his lessons?

Most of all, I hope you have some fun with this. These are a bunch of kids, see if you can't get them to reveal some of their personalities. It's a shame that Grant Lewis isn't joining as you could have pitted him against Dwyer in a math-off. Which ivy school generated the smarter prospect? Yale or Dartmouth?

You have a ton of CCHA and WCHA players. This is a natural. Play them off one another and get them to start trashing the other conference. Ask if they have any "gentlemens bets" regarding how they'll do against one another in the season. Do these guys interract during the season? Is there a prospect bond in juniors/college? Does property of a certain NHL team migrate to one another at all, and if so, how does that impact team chemistry?

Same with the OHL/WHL/QMJHL.

Be interested to see your thoughts on a guy like Oystrick seeing as though you saw him last season. Notice any physical difference? Any intangibles shining through? his confidence level? skill level?

A sit down with the 3 #1s in camp would be a neat piece.

Old
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Holly Gunning

I won't be interviewing anyone that I anticipate ending up in Gwinnett, why do it now when they will be available all year, you know?

Old
07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I won't be interviewing anyone that I anticipate ending up in Gwinnett, why do it now when they will be available all year, you know?
you're thinking Aquino is going to return to Gwinnett? Hope I didn't throw you off with the alliteration, Giants of Gwinnett. Simply thought it sounded better than Doofuses in Duluth or Colossii in camp. Perchance Titans in Training? Whoppers Warming? Mammoths Maturing? Brobdingnagian Basics? Leviathan's Learning?

And whatnot

Old
07-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Holly Gunning

I knew what you meant. I was just narrowing the field a bit more.

If I wished to interview Aquino, I had all year to do so, no?

Old
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
The Sneak

hmmm. me thinks there's a bigger story here as to why HollyG is shunning Aquino. Or perhaps its the other way around. Perhaps she's protecting this player from a scathing expose that would all but end his dreams of the NHL!

Old
07-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Holly Gunning

Good Lord.

Above I said I actually have to care what someone has to say. That's pretty much all there is to it. I'm not at all curious what he has to say. Bring it, and then maybe I'll care.

Old
07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes Rage
Hope I didn't throw you off with the alliteration, Giants of Gwinnett. Simply thought it sounded better than Doofuses in Duluth or Colossii in camp. Perchance Titans in Training? Whoppers Warming? Mammoths Maturing? Brobdingnagian Basics? Leviathan's Learning?
Sasquatches on Satellite? Six-foot Fives on I-85? Gwinnett Glandulars?

Ask Jeff Dwyer if being a smarty-pants Ivy leaguer helps his game any, HollyG.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
KingofSpain

Interview the guys from the Q, Desbiens and Sharrow.

Desbiens: Role in Rouyn-Noranda? Future Expectations? What does he need to improve and how will he will do this?

Sharrow: USA WJC Thoughts (invite, chances)? Future Expectations?

See if Lehman and Painchaud tell different stories about the OHL ECF.

And you gotta talk to Slater, about his great year and the future.

Just some ideas, plus non of these guys will be playing in Gwinett next year (maybe a late season try-out for Desbiens).

Keep up the good work.

Old
07-08-2004, 02:21 AM
SlimJater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon
Desbiens: Role in Rouyn-Noranda? Future Expectations? What does he need to improve and how will he will do this?
I second the Desbiens interview.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Heater15

Ask Brad Schell about playing Bantam AA in the Centre Four Hockey League and who he hated playing the most against. Mention to him the cement boards they had in the Unity arena and see what he says.

Closed Thread