Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 01:29 AM
AintLifeGrand

vCash: 500
2011 Draft Thread

Well I guess the time has come for us to forget the bitter reality of Thrashers mediocrity and once again place our hopes and dreams into the crapshoot known as the NHL draft. I bet we pick 7th overall.

Assuming we pick in the 7-10 range, who should we target?

I think a Center or RW are our most pressing organizational needs

1.Ryan Strome- Fast mover up the rankings, who has undisputed elite offensive talent. Has decent size at 6'1 , 180ish lbs. Having 2 potentially elite playmaking centers in our top 6 will be very convenient.

2. Joel Armia- Large, Skilled, and plays RW...putting up decent numbers in SEL...Could see him fitting as well

3. Nicklas Jensen- Danish RW'er who has size , grit, and scoring ability.

4.Alexander Khokhlachev- Maybe this years Burmistrov, would greatly help our top 6 and special teams. Sleeper pick who could pay out in big dividends in the future

5.Sven Bartschi- We may be set at LW for the future if we draft the talented swiss winger. I'm still slightly upset we did not get Nino in the last draft, so maybe Duds can rectify the situation by drafting this guy. Kane-Ladd-Klingberg-Baertschi would be a very solid lineup on the port side.

Last edited by KevFist: 03-21-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Corrected title
AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:39 AM
KevFist
is best pony

This team really needs help on the right side. We have a bunch of centers already in the system, but we're really weak on the right side

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Strom's stock appears to be rising fast. If we fall 8-10, I don't see us getting him. According to a lot of posters, this kid has strong two-way play and may fit the system well:

Huberdeau, Jonathan C/L 6/4/93 L 6'1.25 168 Saint John QMJHL

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

we are turning into the Panthers. never bad enough for a top pick but always picking in the top 10

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
AtlSioux

I'd like to see us package our first, 7th-9th overall and a defenseman (Oduya makes the most sense to me) to COL or EDM (1st-3rd overall) for their first and second round picks in June.

I would take either Landeskog or Nugent-Hopkins in the first and Grimaldi, Shore or Rask in the second. I like Dillion Simpson (D) in the 4th if still on the board.

Give Postma or Kulda a chance to play top six next year and resign Welch as a depth callup.

AtlSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
we are turning into the Panthers. never bad enough for a top pick but always picking in the top 10
This was my fear last season. Make the playoffs or tank! Tank! Tank!

There is no glory in finishing 10th. If you're not 8th, you might as well be 15th.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

all indications are that this is a pretty weak draft. we dont have a 2nd rounder so i doubt we trade the first unless it is to move up in the draft. I wouldnt be opposed to moving the first rounder for the right player

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
KevFist
is best pony

TheHockeywriters.com has RNH at #1, Larsson at 2, Couturier at 3, Strome at 4 and Landeskog at 5. Most people consider Landeskog the most NHL ready player in the draft, and what we need is help now. The only thing is what we really need is help on the right wing.

Right now on the left side, we have Ladd, Kane, Thorburn, Boulton, Klingberg, Pettersson, not counting prospects still in juniors and college. On the right side we have Wheeler, Dvorak, FCS, The Stapler, Machacek, and then the well runs dry. Neither Dvorak nor FCS should be the long term 2nd line RW solution..... Trade the first and get a winger in here!

Old
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Archer27
Well then..

I vote Joel Armia.

Archer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Ashe

Duncan Siemens.

If he falls we snap him up, and give us another excellent defence prospect. Guy can skate with every forward in junior from the back end, and has a boomer

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Duncan Siemens.

If he falls we snap him up, and give us another excellent defence prospect. Guy can skate with every forward in junior from the back end, and has a boomer
i'm a fan, but not necessarily at 4 or 5, hopefully the team finishes strong at least (sorry, i'm not a tank guy) and they pick 8-12th, i like Siemens around there.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

The sort of players Dudley would be looking for in this draft if last year's drafting went with any thing, he's looking for hockey-smart guys and them being big is basically a bonus. I could see him going with Armia, Landeskog if he falls, Brandon Saad (Telegin's teammate, 55 points in 58 games), maybe Huberdeau but I'm not as sold on him as many people are, but who knows, if he goes there he goes.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

we have tremendous depth down the center and left side in the organization. we won't want for third liners for quite some time, but in terms of the right wing we're just horse ****. we have weehler for now, antropov can play there, and stewart is, well, stewart. other than that it's pretty much klingberg and maybe pettersson impresses at camp again. still both of those guys are more of impact third liners that real top-6ers.

that said i'll have one joel armia please, hold the bust. then spend the rest of the draft shoring up the defensive pool which will soon be depleted with one of postma or kulda likely playing for us next year and several others making their jump to the pro leagues.

also let's just try to get the entirety of the saginaw spirit. saad is nice. trocheck could be a mid round steal, we've already got telegin and pasquale who played there, thorburn played for them, sol played for them, we could pretty much call them our farm team.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Mayorov

Send a message via ICQ to Mayorov
I feel that we'll end up with Joel Armia.
Forget about Kovalchuk Army, let's start Armia Army

Mayorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorov View Post
I feel that we'll end up with Joel Armia.
Forget about Kovalchuk Army, let's start Armia Army
does you username have anything to do with maksim mayorov or is it just your name?

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Sabreality

yeah, i'm not nearly as high on Armia is some of you guys..its still early to figure this all out, but picking 4-12 there are other players i'd really prefer over Armia...why all of the love? not sure if he even makes my top 15 as of right now.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I'm still slightly upset we did not get Nino in the last draft, so maybe Duds can rectify the situation by drafting this guy. Kane-Ladd-Klingberg-Baertschi would be a very solid lineup on the port side.
You're the second person on these boards to say this. And it really bothers me. What is wrong with Burmistrov? Seriously, is this a joke?

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Brodeur

Tyler Biggs just seems like a prototype power forward that Rick Dudley tends to love. He's supposed to go play for Miami of Ohio next season but Oshawa holds his OHL rights.

Put together a futile mock draft that had you guys drafting at #6. Had Larsson-RNH-Landeskog-Couturier-Huberdeau off the board. Then had you guys swapping down to #9 with Boston while picking up Minnesota's 2nd rounder (which Boston has from the Kobasew trade). Boston would trade up to take Dougie Hamilton. At #9 I had you guys taking Biggs and then the 2nd rounder would replace the one used to acquire Andrew Ladd.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
yeah, i'm not nearly as high on Armia is some of you guys..its still early to figure this all out, but picking 4-12 there are other players i'd really prefer over Armia...why all of the love? not sure if he even makes my top 15 as of right now.
I'm with ya..... Armia's not a bad pick, but I think Saad will be the better player.

Old
03-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Depends who the scouts think will improve enough to become a good piece for the team. Who knows...

My post on Armia from the other thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Yeah Armia would need atleast one season in SM-liiga, depends if he continues his quick development. Still need pounds for that big body, especially to his legs to further improve his skating, what went from struggling a bit in junior to good enough against men over the last summer. Can make pretty plays by himself, has a quick and good right-handed shot plus he really likes to use it, isn't afraid to go to the net and be a little pain in the arse for the other team, can also be surprisingly physical. Has all the tools to be a dangerous goalscoring threat in the NHL, but still needs to work on his game and body obviously to reach that big potential.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Tyler Biggs just seems like a prototype power forward that Rick Dudley tends to love. He's supposed to go play for Miami of Ohio next season but Oshawa holds his OHL rights.

Put together a futile mock draft that had you guys drafting at #6. Had Larsson-RNH-Landeskog-Couturier-Huberdeau off the board. Then had you guys swapping down to #9 with Boston while picking up Minnesota's 2nd rounder (which Boston has from the Kobasew trade). Boston would trade up to take Dougie Hamilton. At #9 I had you guys taking Biggs and then the 2nd rounder would replace the one used to acquire Andrew Ladd.
Yeah Biggs is another RW that will be in the top 15. If he is more of the PWF type, I wouldn't be suprised to see Dudley take him. Really need to sure up that right side.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Unless RNH has Marty St Louis type ability, I really question his ability to be productive at the NHL level....He's just so small.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Mayorov

Send a message via ICQ to Mayorov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
does you username have anything to do with maksim mayorov or is it just your name?
Nothing in common, just a name

Mayorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Unless RNH has Marty St Louis type ability, I really question his ability to be productive at the NHL level....He's just so small.
He is very similar to Alex Burmistrov in the draft, as both had size issues going into the draft. If anything though, I think RNH is pretty much a lock to produce at the NHL level because of his skillset. A lot of people in the prospect forum compare him to Datsyuk. IMO I think he's a rich man's Patrick Sharp type and can put up 80 pts here in the NHL. He will probably need another year on juniors as yes, he's small, but then again so was Kane & Burmistrov.

I think if RNH busted it'd be because someone rushed him in too soon. I doubt he makes it to us. Maybe if we tank hard enough we can get Landeskog, who is like Brenden Morrow to me. Anyone but Huberdeau, I'm not sold on him for whatever reason. Herpaderp could be the next Skinner... Or the next Schremp.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
KevFist
is best pony

yeah, herpaderp hasn't been too impressive in my eyes.... that being said, I'd like either Armia or Saad. I just wish Saad would learn to play bigger.