2011 Draft Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'll join you for one. Are you planning on making a mock 1st round or just up to a certain number?
Hmm... not sure, actually. Doing to our spot or top 10 would be simplest, not necessarily easy, but a little more simple.. 30 would be tough, we'll see. I'll have to decide and see how much time i've got here at work.

06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Hmm... not sure, actually. Doing to our spot would be easiest.. 30 would be tough, we'll see. I'll have to decide.
How about the top 10? #10 could be one of the trickiest picks in the draft. The difference in talent is quite a big one.

I'll only have to add 1 more pick to my list I already posted, lol.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How about the top 10? #10 could be one of the trickiest picks in the draft. The difference in talent is quite a big one.

I'll only have to add 1 more pick to my list I already posted, lol.
Sounds good. And really, i'm not so sure if i'm up for picking for all 29 other teams and looking into their organizational needs...

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Sounds good. And really, i'm not so sure if i'm up for picking for all 29 other teams and looking into their organizational needs...
NP. It's just for fun and will kill some time before the draft. I hope some others will post their mocks also.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM
TrentSteele

Coutourier, Strome, Zibanejad In that order.

I would be shocked if we didn't get one of these three.

TrentSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

My top 10 Mock Draft. So many different scenarios could play out here. This is going to be a very exciting draft.

My hunch at the moment is this. Ask me in 20 minutes, and it may be different. Every time I write up a mock draft, things change.

1. Edmonton - Ryan-Nugent Hopkins
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. NJ - Dougie Hamilton
5. NYI - Adam Larsson
6. Ottawa - Sean Couturier
7. Winnipeg - Ryan Strome
8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy
9. Boston - Brodin/Beaulieu/Oleksiak
10. Minnesota - Zibanejad

Old
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
My top 10 Mock Draft. So many different scenarios could play out here. This is going to be a very exciting draft.

My hunch at the moment is this. Ask me in 20 minutes, and it may be different. Every time I write up a mock draft, things change.

1. Edmonton - Ryan-Nugent Hopkins
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. NJ - Dougie Hamilton
5. NYI - Adam Larsson
6. Ottawa - Sean Couturier
7. Winnipeg - Ryan Strome
9. Boston - Brodin/Beaulieu/Oleksiak
10. Minnesota - Zibanejad
Thanks for the list. Any reason why you have Hamilton and Larsson in that order?

My list is on the previous page, but I'll post in a smaller version.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the list. Any reason why you have Hamilton and Larsson in that order?

My list is on the previous page, but I'll post in a smaller version.
Honestly, it's all hunch right now. I've just got a feeling Larsson may fall a couple spots as to what's expected.

As for the order of Hamilton and Larsson, they could just as easily swap, but for some reason I believe a team out there, perhaps Lou and NJ will like Hamilton's all around package along with his superior smarts. The kid is a wiz, and I personally think it's going to be a selling point for him.

And again, ask me in 20 minutes, and this mock draft could be different. So many scenarios could take place here.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

1. Edmonton - Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Adam Larsson
3. Florida - Gabriel Landeskog
4. New Jersey - Johnathan Huberdeau
5. NY Islanders - Dougie Hamilton
6. Ottawa - Mika Zibanejad
7. Winnipeg - Sean Couturier
9. Boston - Ryan Strome
10. Minnesota - Nathan Beaulieu

Old
06-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Huffer

I would like to get a play-maker just as much as the next guy. But if we are down to Hamilton, Strome, and Zib, and the consensus is that Hamilton is BPA, I want us to take Hamilton.

If it's down to those 3, they are all most likely 3 years away from the NHL. How do we know what our needs will be then? We are all talking about our "need" for a #1 C. What if in 3 years Burmistrov has broken out and become Datsuk like and Little is one of the bext #2 Centers in the league? And what if in 3 years Enstrom walks? We have no idea what our needs will be once these guys get to the NHL.

BPA all the way.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I would like to get a play-maker just as much as the next guy. But if we are down to Hamilton, Strome, and Zib, and the consensus is that Hamilton is BPA, I want us to take Hamilton.

If it's down to those 3, they are all most likely 3 years away from the NHL. How do we know what our needs will be then? We are all talking about our "need" for a #1 C. What if in 3 years Burmistrov has broken out and become Datsuk like and Little is one of the bext #2 Centers in the league? And what if in 3 years Enstrom walks? We have no idea what our needs will be once these guys get to the NHL.

BPA all the way.
I completely see your point of view here. The defense could be in shambles in just a few years.

Like you say, what if Enstrom walks? What if Bogosian doesn't pan out? How Byfuglien fairs is yet to be seen. Stuart is a steady presence on the 3rd pairing, but nothing to get overly excited about in terms of forming a legit top 4. Oduya, Hainsey are both on expiring contracts in a year or two. Kulda and Postma are wildcard prospects.

I hear ya, the defense could become a major cause for concern in the next couple/few years.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Honestly, it's all hunch right now. I've just got a feeling Larsson may fall a couple spots as to what's expected.

As for the order of Hamilton and Larsson, they could just as easily swap, but for some reason I believe a team out there, perhaps Lou and NJ will like Hamilton's all around package along with his superior smarts. The kid is a wiz, and I personally think it's going to be a selling point for him.

And again, ask me in 20 minutes, and this mock draft could be different. So many scenarios could take place here.
Indeed a lot can happen. One thing most scouts and analysts can agree on is there is definitely a top 9. What order that top 9 is in is anyone's guess.

P.S. As a Bruins fan there's noway they pick a Swedish D-man like Brodin or a giant project like Olesiak. Beaulieu is definitely a possibility though. Chiarelli will stay within the top 9 prospects and pick the only one left. It'll be an easy pick, just like last year when he picked who the Oilers left for him Tyler Seguin.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

BPA all the way.
I agree that BPA is the best way to build a team. Hamilton is the BPA in your scenario. I have no issues picking him with our pick if he's BPA. I also feel he's closer to being ready for the NHL than Strome or Zib. He should play next year in the OHL and continue developing his skills and body on a good quality team. I think with his smarts, drive and skills he could be ready to join the big team in 2012-13.

The one advantage in development that I see Zibanejad having over the 2 Canadians, is his ability to play in a professional men's league(SEL) over the CHL. He's also eligable to play in the AHL earlier than either of Strome or Murphy. He should continue to develop in the SEL this upcoming season rather than move to the AHL right away.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Huffer

Quote:
I completely see your point of view here. The defense could be in shambles in just a few years.

Like you say, what if Enstrom walks? What if Bogosian doesn't pan out? How Byfuglien fairs is yet to be seen. Stuart is a steady presence on the 3rd pairing, but nothing to get overly excited about in terms of forming a legit top 4. Oduya, Hainsey are both on expiring contracts in a year or two. Kulda and Postma are wildcard prospects.

I hear ya, the defense could become a major cause for concern in the next couple/few years.
I hope that the defense is not in shambles in a few years. I really hope that Enstrom will resign in two years. I was just trying to make the case about always picking BPA.

Quote:
I agree that BPA is the best way to build a team. Hamilton is the BPA in your scenario. I have no issues picking him with our pick if he's BPA. I also feel he's closer to being ready for the NHL than Strome or Zib. He should play next year in the OHL and continue developing his skills and body on a good quality team. I think with his smarts, drive and skills he could be ready to join the big team in 2012-13.

The one advantage in development that I see Zibanejad having over the 2 Canadians, is his ability to play in a professional men's league(SEL) over the CHL. He's also eligable to play in the AHL earlier than either of Strome or Murphy. He should continue to develop in the SEL this upcoming season rather than move to the AHL right away.
Looks like we agree on the whole BPA thing. I don't know if Hamilton is the BPA over Strome or Zib. I'm not in a position to say. My point is that if he is the BPA, I would rather take him than the others because of the reasons in my post.

Regarding the whole CHL/NHL/AHL rule, your post has got me thinking.

I realize the rationale behind the rule keeping CHL players from jumping into the AHL at 18. The CHL wants to keep their stars longer as it helps their business.

But could that actually be hindering the drafting of a player out of the CHL over someone from the SEL?

If two guys are comparable from a BPA standpoint (let's assume Strome and Zib are the same), you know if you draft Strome if he doesn't make your NHL team (likely), he HAS to play in the CHL. So lets say he plays two more years in the CHL. If you draft Zib, he gets to play 1 or 2 years in a Mens league (SEL), or you could bring him over to play for your AHL team and learn your systems.

Two years after they are drafted Zib has played 2 years of hockey against men, and Strome has played 2 years of hockey against 16-20 year olds.

Thoughts?

Old
06-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I hope that the defense is not in shambles in a few years. I really hope that Enstrom will resign in two years. I was just trying to make the case about always picking BPA.

Looks like we agree on the whole BPA thing. I don't know if Hamilton is the BPA over Strome or Zib. I'm not in a position to say. My point is that if he is the BPA, I would rather take him than the others because of the reasons in my post.

Regarding the whole CHL/NHL/AHL rule, your post has got me thinking.

I realize the rationale behind the rule keeping CHL players from jumping into the AHL at 18. The CHL wants to keep their stars longer as it helps their business.

But could that actually be hindering the drafting of a player out of the CHL over someone from the SEL?

If two guys are comparable from a BPA standpoint (let's assume Strome and Zib are the same), you know if you draft Strome if he doesn't make your NHL team (likely), he HAS to play in the CHL. So lets say he plays two more years in the CHL. If you draft Zib, he gets to play 1 or 2 years in a Mens league (SEL), or you could bring him over to play for your AHL team and learn your systems.

Two years after they are drafted Zib has played 2 years of hockey against men, and Strome has played 2 years of hockey against 16-20 year olds.

Thoughts?
I feel the age restrictions put forth by the NHL/CHL/NCAA hamper some prospects growth. I'll give 2 examples I can think of recently. Tyler Seguin and Zach Bogosian (even Burmistrov to a lesser extent, but the CHL was still an option). Both Seguin and Bogosian were done with their CHL careers and both organizations felt they would develop more under their franchises tutelage. IMO the best situation for them would have been the AHL getting used to playing against men, not kids.

The prospects playing in Europe/Russia have an advantage over their counterparts, that's playing at a higher level of hockey against grown men. The disadvantage those same players have is the learning curve of the North American game, life style, being far from home/family at a young age and the overall culture of North America in general. I guess it's a bit more balanced once you factor in all the cultural effects.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
My mock:

1. Edmonton - Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Landeskog
3. Florida - Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Larsson
5. NY Islanders - Hamilton
6. Ottawa - Couturier
7. Winnipeg - Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Siemens
9. Boston - Strome
10. Minnesota - Scheifele

And no, I'm not big on Ryan Murphy. He'll make a fine PP QB someday, but I don't feel he's worthy of a top 10 pick.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Here is a link tweeted from the Winnipeg account. Great link to all the prospects with the rankings and reports to go along with it.

http://winnipeg.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Old
06-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Here is a link tweeted from the Winnipeg account. Great link to all the prospects with the rankings and reports to go along with it.

http://winnipeg.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm
Who was this done by ISS, Redline...etc?

Old
06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Huffer

I wish you could do an overall sort between NA and Europe with combined rankings. Switching between the two is very clunky to me.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who was this done by ISS, Redline...etc?
NHL Central Scouting.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Wow, didn't realize they had Schiefele and Rattie ranked so low.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Did you see how high they have Baertschi and Namestnikov? Baertschi is a fringe 10-15 and Namestnikov is a mid 20's IMO. Even Siemens and Morrow are a bit to high.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

What's the general consensus on Musil, Mayfield, and Saad?

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagner4God View Post
What's the general consensus on Musil, Mayfield, and Saad?
All have slid down the rankings. Musil and Saad were both top 10 picks to start the year. Musil has dropped to the end of the 1st/early 2nd, while Saad could go mid 1st 15-20. Mayfield was initially a late 1st, but seems to more in the early to mid 2nd now. None of these players should be near any of our picks, so I don't think much about them. Although I like Mayfield for the Bruins at #40.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Central Scouting publishes it's final rankings before the U18 tournament, where several prospects usually raise their profile. Scheifele is a good example. It's one of the major disadvantages of CS.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote