Notices

2011 Draft Thread

Old
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Ashe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
He is very similar to Alex Burmistrov in the draft, as both had size issues going into the draft. If anything though, I think RNH is pretty much a lock to produce at the NHL level because of his skillset. A lot of people in the prospect forum compare him to Datsyuk. IMO I think he's a rich man's Patrick Sharp type and can put up 80 pts here in the NHL. He will probably need another year on juniors as yes, he's small, but then again so was Kane & Burmistrov.

I think if RNH busted it'd be because someone rushed him in too soon. I doubt he makes it to us. Maybe if we tank hard enough we can get Landeskog, who is like Brenden Morrow to me. Anyone but Huberdeau, I'm not sold on him for whatever reason. Herpaderp could be the next Skinner... Or the next Schremp.
RNH Has been told for the past 2 years to bulk up, and he has yet to. Hell even Taylor Hall bulked up his last year of junior. Ive seen enough RNH and we are honestly better off going for a defencemen, and trading or signing a forward in the first round this year.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
RNH Has been told for the past 2 years to bulk up, and he has yet to. Hell even Taylor Hall bulked up his last year of junior. Ive seen enough RNH and we are honestly better off going for a defencemen, and trading or signing a forward in the first round this year.
well, same was said about Skinner...and Ennis...smaller guys can succeed in this league now.

not that i'm a hug fan of RNH, he's my least favorite of the 'top 5ers'

in my opinion..there is a top 9, then everybody else in this draft.

Larsson
Landeskog
Couturier
RNH
Murphy
Strome
Huberdeau
Hamilton
Siemens

then its a crapshoot. Armia/Saad..not a big fan of either to be honest, Armia has a tempting ceiling, not sure if he gets there though, and Saad, i dont see his ceiling being much greater than Macheceks...i'd prefer any of the top 9, Biggs, Zibanejad, Puempel over either as of now...REACHING for a RW. just because, makes little sense to me..there is always free agency/trades to find one if needed.

BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE is how i always want to draft.

alas, its only March and there is plenty of time for these things to change..i may love Saad in 3 months, but right now, not really.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE is how i always want to draft.
This. We may be weak on the right side, but that can be filled with a trade or free agency if needed. This isn't the NFL. Trades/new contracts happen often. Get the best player available and worry about the specific positions later.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Who is the best defenseman in his own zone in this draft? We need a premier defenseman prospect who can clear the crease and kill penalties.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Who is the best defenseman in his own zone in this draft? We need a premier defenseman prospect who can clear the crease and kill penalties.
Siemens fits that bill and is a really good skater with a bit of O pop, the J-Bo comparison might be overused, but it fits with this kid...Oleksiak (6'7 220) has really climbed the draft board this year, needs a little work, but he's more polished than Boris was at his age, not sure if he's top 10 worthy just yet (but the same was said about Myers, who fell to 12th)

Old
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Sabreality

well this thread got a lot more real tonite...Rags, Sabres, Canes & Leafs all win.

a very interesting offseason ahead..would love to see Duds get really aggressive.

Old
03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Siemens fits that bill and is a really good skater with a bit of O pop, the J-Bo comparison might be overused, but it fits with this kid...Oleksiak (6'7 220) has really climbed the draft board this year, needs a little work, but he's more polished than Boris was at his age, not sure if he's top 10 worthy just yet (but the same was said about Myers, who fell to 12th)
Siemens is projected to be a shutdown defencemen who is smart with the puck and tough as nails. I've watched him play all year. Guy is ridiculous

Old
03-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Mayorov

Send a message via ICQ to Mayorov
Based on what I saw Doug Hamilton is better in shut-down role than Siemens right now.

Mayorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorov View Post
Based on what I saw Doug Hamilton is better in shut-down role than Siemens right now.
Siemens reminds me of Hainsey, Where Hamilton more of Stuart.

Siemens has the better offensive weapons and speed, and his biggest knack on defense is over-commiting, but that's being young. He jumps up in the play and is tough as nails (as by his fight int he CHL game).

Hamilton is lacking the offensive weapons Siemens has, and his skating is par for the course. Again, will stick up for opponents. But if had the choice between hainsey/Stuart, I'd take Hainsey.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

RNH had 4 points including the tying and game winning goals last night as the Rebels beat Edmonton in their WHL playoff opener. He certainly has a flair for coming up big.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

You are all talking about the first round pick, but have any of you thought about the later picks?

I think that Jyrki Jokipakka, plays in Ilves in FEL, could be a good pick in the 6th or 7th round. He is '91 born defender. He was a beast in the WJC this year and the scouts were all over this guy.

Helsingin Jokerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:53 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post
You are all talking about the first round pick, but have any of you thought about the later picks?

I think that Jyrki Jokipakka, plays in Ilves in FEL, could be a good pick in the 6th or 7th round. He is '91 born defender. He was a beast in the WJC this year and the scouts were all over this guy.
I'm sure if I had a list of all the draft eligibal guys or something like that I would look further. Ivan Telegin and Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel were 2 guys that we got in the 4th and 5th round last year. Telegin might have a real shot at a bottom 6 role and FPW was considered a steal by some people. Goalies are much harder to gauge but who knows.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post

Don't remeber where I saw it, but somewhere he was ranked in the top-100 prospects in this draft, so I would guess he will go before the 6th round. Wouldn't mind if we would take him somewhere in the 5th round if he is there still even with the defencemen prospects we already have.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Sabreality

so even with 2 today ATL remains in the 7 slot, still likely looking at picking 6-11.

Old
04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Sabreality

still in the 7 slot, could rise to 6th with a Devils win/ot loss.

my personal updated top 10

1. Larsson
2. Landeskog
3. Couturier
4. RNH
5. Murphy
6. Huberdeau
7. Strome
8. Siemens
9. Hamilton
10. Biggs

Old
04-03-2011, 07:13 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Ok. Let's tank. We have chances to be in 6th spot in the draft now. What I have read Couturier is going down in rankings. If there's slim chance that we get Couturier, I would take it. Couturier-Burmistrov to our top two line center's for future and I will be all right with that. If we don't get Couturier, I wouldn't mind if we pick Strome or Huberdeau. If we win some games and go "down" in draft, then I would pick Armia. We haven't many winger prospects(except Kane), who could score. He has touch for sure.

Late rounds I would draft Benjamin Conz. Still, even all teams have passed him in previous drafts. He wouldn't be bad pick in round 4 or 5. Also Samu Perhonen seems to be pretty good.

Jokipakka.. umm.. naah, I don't think he would make any difference to our team. But he can always surprise me.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:07 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

So NHL has some mock drafts up from Eastern and Western NHL team scouts.

Link to the story on NHL.com
- Link to the Mock Draft of Eastern conference scout
- Link to the Mock Draft of Western conference scout.

#TeamEast ScoutWest Scout
1Edmonton OilersRyan Nugent-HopkinsAdam Larsson
2Ottawa SenatorsGabriel LandeskogRyan Nugent-Hopkins
3Colorado AvalancheAdam LarssonSean Couturier
4Florida PanthersJonathan HuberdeauGabriel Landeskog
5N.Y. IslandersRyan StromeRyan Murphy
6New Jersey DevilsSean CouturierDougie Hamilton
7Atlanta ThrashersDougie HamiltonJonathan Huberdeau
8St. Louis BluesRyan MurphyRyan Strome
9Boston Bruins (from TOR)Tyler BiggsJamieson Oleksiak
10Columbus Blue JacketsNathan BeaulieuSven Baertschi
11Minnesota WildBrandon SaadBrandon Saad
12Carolina HurricanesDuncan SiemensNathan Beaulieu
13Buffalo SabresMark McNeillTyler Biggs
14New York RangersSven BaertschiMark McNeill
15Calgary FlamesJonathan MillerDuncan Siemens
16Dallas StarsJonas BrodinJoel Armia
17Anaheim DucksTy RattieJonas Brodin
18Chicago BlackhawksRickard RakellJoseph Morrow
19Montréal CanadiensMark ScheifelePhillip Danault
20Ottawa Senators (from NSH)Mika ZibanejadNicklas Jensen
21Edmonton Oilers (from LAK)Nicklas JensenTy Rattie
22Tampa Bay LightningShane PrinceRocco Grimaldi
23Maple Leafs (from BOS)Joel ArmiaMika Zibanejad
24Phoenix CoyotesMatt PuempelMatt Puempel
25Pittsburgh PenguinsDavid MusilJohn Gibson
26San Jose SharksJamieson OleksiakScott Mayfield
27Detroit Red WingsVladislav NamestnikovRickard Rakell
28Washington CapitalsBoone JennerAlexander Khokhlachev
29Maple Leafs (from PHI)Zack PhillipsBoone Jenner
30Vancouver CanucksJoseph MorrowDavid Musil

A lot of people rave about Huberdeau's vision, so he's a very hockey-smart player. Going into his draft year, one of Burmi's pros was that he was always in the right place at the right time, Huberdeau pretty much teleports to the place even before it exists. The thing that he needs work on is his shot and his skating, but, you know, Herpaderp could be the next Giroux if the hype is true. And that's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by headsigh: 04-03-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old
04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
There's a good chance, right now at least, that a C falls to us. Courturier, Herpaderp, or Strome. But like the east scout shows, if neither of them do, then the 2nd best d-man in the draft is avaliable.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I really wouldn't mind trading down and picking up Armia or Saad

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
There's a good chance, right now at least, that a C falls to us. Courturier, Herpaderp, or Strome. But like the east scout shows, if neither of them do, then the 2nd best d-man in the draft is avaliable.
If Atlanta doesn't want to draft defense, I think there is a descent chance Islanders or Devils might take one leaving one of the 2 centers.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Craig Button has Couturier at 8th overall.

Quote:
Yes, this guy is famous for his somewhat "off the wall" listings and people complain about his reign as an NHL GM, but I still find his arguments hold water.

Here is his top 8:

8. Couturier

7. Bartschi

6. Murphy

5. Strome

4. Larsson

3. Huberdeau

2. Landeskog

1. Nugent-Hopkins
h/t renegade stylings

Is it me or are people really nitpicking at Couturier? Because if he somehow fell down to us ala Fowler last year, I'd be ecstatic. Big 6'4 monster, if he busts the worst thing he can be is a shutdown 3rd line center- like a giant Jim Slater with hands. Not that I'm not saying he doesn't have his flaws, as does everyone in the draft, but because he's so hyped everyone is looking for the smallest crack or flaw. Like Fowler last year, somehow fell to the Ducks and now having a kickass year for them.

Couturier doesn't go past Atlanta, even if we took a center last year- Rick Dudley would cream his pants at the idea of a 6'4 stud like Couturier centering Kane & company for years to come, nevermind the 1-2-3 punch of Little, Cout and Burmi.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Sabreality

i agree 100% headsigh...Couturier seems to be this years recipient of the 'critique to death' award...i'd LOVE for him to fall to ATL...this league is about centers, centers and more centers, you can never have too many...really hoping at this point the pick is Couturier or Huberdeau.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
KevFist
is best pony

If Couturier drops to 8th, there are 7 GMs in the league that need to be fired.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
If Couturier drops to 8th, there are 7 GMs in the league that need to be fired.
Yeah at most I could imagine him dropping to like 5th.

Edit. Lower and it will be a bit of a shock for me.

Last edited by Juzmo: 04-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Yeah at most I could imagine him dropping to like 5th.
not that i agree with him slipping one bit, but i COULD see him falling to 7th, 8th or even 9th (if ATL passes on him)...Larsson, RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Strome all could go 1-5..then there are the other D-men..Murphy, Hamilton, even Siemens and Oleksiak could be targeted/liked more than a Center...would be pretty crazy, but nobody thought Fowler would slip so much either.

and keep an eye on Mika Zibajenad, kids climbing quickly, wouldnt be shocked if he lands in the top 10.

Last edited by Sabreality: 04-06-2011 at 05:58 PM.