HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
  #76
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,318
vCash: 700
This leaves a sour taste in my mouth right now. In hindsight it shouldn't matter much though.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
  #77
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
1 Edmonton Oilers
2 Colorado Avalanche
3 Florida Panthers
4 New Jersey Devils
5 New York Islanders
6 Ottawa Senators
7 Atlanta Thrashers
8 Columbus Blue Jackets
9 Boston Bruins (from Toronto)
10 Minnesota Wild
11 Colorado Avalanche (from St. Louis)
12 Carolina Hurricanes
13 Calgary Flames
14 Dallas Stars

People drafted from the 7 slot since 2000:
-Lars Jonsson, Boston Bruins, 2000
-Mike Komisarek, Montreal Canadiens, 2001
-Joffrey Lupul, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, 2002
-Ryan Suter, Nashville Predators, 2003
-Rotislav Olesz, Florida Panthers, 2004
-Jack Skille, Chicago Blackhawks, 2005
-Kyle Okposo, New York Islanders, 2006
-Jakub Voracek, Columbus Blue Jackets, 2007
-Colin Wilson, Nashville Predators, 2008
-Nazem Kadri, Toronto Maple Leafs, 2009
-Jeff SKinner, Carolina Hurricanes (gag), 2010


Last edited by headsigh: 04-12-2011 at 10:24 PM.
headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:35 AM
  #78
Juzmo
dont google me
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: here
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,525
vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Trade down and take Joel Armia
I could go with this. Don't know how much could we trade down though since Minnesota could potentially go for Armia even with the 10th pick.

Damn Devils.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
  #79
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Damn. Damn. Damn.

Huberdeau it is, I believe. That if we keep 7th pick. Damn. I wouldn't be against trading down and gaining second round pick. In the second round I would want Miikka Salomäki. That guy has an attitude!

~15th pick Joel Armia
~45th pick Miikka Salomäki.

Could live with this one.

Mika Zibanejad could be one option too in the first round.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
  #80
OkayIGiveUp
Tactileneck
 
OkayIGiveUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The High Slot
Country: Canada
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I was so excited when I saw the ottawa move out of the top five, too bad it had to go to the devils instead.. I wouldn't be against trading down either, but if this draft is anything like last years, big names could move down the list. (Fowler and gormley for example) if any of huberdeau, couturier, strome, or landeskog are available. Take them and run. It all depends on team needs, I could see any of the top defensemen move up if a team ahead is desperately in need.

OkayIGiveUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
  #81
Juzmo
dont google me
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: here
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,525
vCash: 690
Yeah it all depends on who will be gone by our turn, who are we most interested in and where are they expected to go.

Plenty of possibilities.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
  #82
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
1 Edmonton Oilers - RNH
2 Colorado Avalanche - Laarson

If Edmonton does take Laarson, i can see colorado trading down to 6-10 to get something and take one of the 3 defencemen

3 Florida Panthers - Landeskog
4 New Jersey Devils - Coutierier
5 New York Islanders - Murphy/Hamilton
6 Ottawa Senators - Strome
7 Atlanta Thrashers - Siemens/Murphy/Hamilton

Zib made a lot of jumps, but is it because he is having a good season?

I say we take Siemens, trade some of our defensive depth in a package to edmonton. Or else Trade that first to edmonton for their later first and either a second. or add to it and get Hemsky.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
  #83
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,850
vCash: 500
Tallon has been stacking up on draft picks the last couple years. 1st + Prospect for Weiss?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM
  #84
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola
 
ThrashersfanSVK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Why Hemský? Injury prone and he's never been over 25 goals in season. We need Top 6 scorer. And Hemský is definitely not a scorer. We don't have 2nd round, right? Well, this will be difficult for Dudley, because first pick in 3rd round wouldn't be great. I would keep 1st rounder and then, during the draft, I would trade it or keep it depending on players who will be available at that moment.

Btw, Hemský is exactly that type of player who wouldn't fit into the Ramsay's style.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM
  #85
Shameus
Moderator
 
Shameus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Middle of a Migraine
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Tallon has been stacking up on draft picks the last couple years. 1st + Prospect for Weiss?
intriguing

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
  #86
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
This reminds me so much of the 1999 draft.....

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
  #87
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,318
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
This reminds me so much of the 1999 draft.....
Care to elaborate? I wasn't watching hockey then.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
  #88
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Tallon has been stacking up on draft picks the last couple years. 1st + Prospect for Weiss?
Depends on who the prespect is..... Maybe florida would take a 1st + Kulda + Oduya for Weiss and the 2nd rounder? (Pick 33)

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
  #89
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
At the time, many people thought 1999 was a really deep draft year, but it was rather deceptive. There were some good players that came out of the draft like the Sedins in the 1st, Ryan Miller in Round 5....But overall, it was rather disappointing.

Let's put it this way....Patrik Stefan was the overall #1

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
  #90
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,318
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
At the time, many people thought 1999 was a really deep draft year, but it was rather deceptive. There were some good players that came out of the draft like the Sedins in the 1st, Ryan Miller in Round 5....But overall, it was rather disappointing.

Let's put it this way....Patrik Stefan was the overall #1
I could see this year being like that. There's a couple guys that should translate but some others, not sure about. I just hope our guy can be an NHL regular.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
  #91
OkayIGiveUp
Tactileneck
 
OkayIGiveUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The High Slot
Country: Canada
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I think there could be a real possibility for coutierier to land in our laps, since his stock seems to keep falling, I think NJ may pass on him for someone like strome or hurberdeau. And because NYI are stocked on forwards Hamilton could be their guy. This scenario could work. And I don't want to draft another defenseman, we seem to not do well with drafted D-men. (Enstrom the exception)

OkayIGiveUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
  #92
AtlSioux
Registered User
 
AtlSioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayIGiveUp View Post
I think there could be a real possibility for coutierier to land in our laps, since his stock seems to keep falling, I think NJ may pass on him for someone like strome or hurberdeau. And because NYI are stocked on forwards Hamilton could be their guy. This scenario could work. And I don't want to draft another defenseman, we seem to not do well with drafted D-men. (Enstrom the exception)

Not sure I agree with this. Other than Boris (who we recently more or less traded for Staurt - who I personally really enjoy watching) I think we've been decently successful with Dmen. Bogo, Toby, Postma, Kulda, Coburn (no longer with us but still a solid defender) and some other solid prospects....
I would agree that we should pass on a D in the first round, although I think Murphy will be a STUD.

If we could trade down and still get RNH, Courtier, Hurberdeau or Landescog (all doubtful) I'd love to take a shot on Rocco Grimaldi in the 2nd round.

AtlSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:05 PM
  #93
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
So all three of NHL.com's mock drafts have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins going #1, and Niagara Icedogs center Ryan Strome (and brief teammate of Alex Burmistrov) going to the Thrashers at #7.

About Ryan Strome- he has had an absolute meteoric rise to the top of the rankings. Coming into this season he was considered a "meh" prospect, barely top 60 and probably a 2nd-3rd round selection. Then he started the season on a tear, putting up a PPG. Conventional wisdom would say this is a normal hot streak, but he hasn't slowed down. In fact, last year, #2 pick Tyler Seguin had a hand in 45.1 percent of the Plymouth Whalers' goals, whether it be scoring or assisting. Ryan Strome is currently 42.8 percent. While Strome is bit more of a playmaker than Seguin was at that stage, make no mistake, his M.O. is putting the puck in the net. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Skinner- both lanky young centers that are just natural goalscorers. He has dangles, he has a wicked wrister, a dangerous slapshot from the point, all the makings of a good player, something that carried him to 106 points in the OHL and is in the Red Tilson trophy race (for the OHL MVP). This and he's still 17.




headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
  #94
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
So all three of NHL.com's mock drafts have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins going #1, and Niagara Icedogs center Ryan Strome (and brief teammate of Alex Burmistrov) going to the Thrashers at #7.

About Ryan Strome- he has had an absolute meteoric rise to the top of the rankings. Coming into this season he was considered a "meh" prospect, barely top 60 and probably a 2nd-3rd round selection. Then he started the season on a tear, putting up a PPG. Conventional wisdom would say this is a normal hot streak, but he hasn't slowed down. In fact, last year, #2 pick Tyler Seguin had a hand in 45.1 percent of the Plymouth Whalers' goals, whether it be scoring or assisting. Ryan Strome is currently 42.8 percent. While Strome is bit more of a playmaker than Seguin was at that stage, make no mistake, his M.O. is putting the puck in the net. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Skinner- both lanky young centers that are just natural goalscorers. He has dangles, he has a wicked wrister, a dangerous slapshot from the point, all the makings of a good player, something that carried him to 106 points in the OHL and is in the Red Tilson trophy race (for the OHL MVP). This and he's still 17.



That first goal reminds me of what Burmi always tries to do. I like Strome. Good thing is that he's a right-handed shot, so if he were to play next year, he'd probably play RW, which we aren't very deep on.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  #95
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
i really don't want whoever we draft to play here next year.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
  #96
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
Why Hemský? Injury prone and he's never been over 25 goals in season. We need Top 6 scorer. And Hemský is definitely not a scorer. We don't have 2nd round, right? Well, this will be difficult for Dudley, because first pick in 3rd round wouldn't be great. I would keep 1st rounder and then, during the draft, I would trade it or keep it depending on players who will be available at that moment.

Btw, Hemský is exactly that type of player who wouldn't fit into the Ramsay's style.
Who does hemsky have to protect him?
I believe Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Burmi/Kane would all strive with him.

Yeah he's had some bad luck with injuries, from what? Being in the corners. He is a target, because the Oilers don't have anyone with size who will stick up with him on his line. He's had Penner, sure. But he never had a Ladd/Wheeler with him. big guys who aren't afraid to challenge the guys taking runs at stars. And how is a guy who averages just below a ppg not a star? Especially playing on Edmonton for the past couple years?

We don't need a top 6 scorer. We need a top 3 player. Something Hemsky is.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
  #97
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
Hemsky is nice but we're not a team that's 1-2 pieces away from being a contender. The Thrash are still young.

Guess it depends on who's still there at 7 but IMO it's a big mistake to move it for anything but a tier one guy who's still young - Chris Stewart would have been the optimal pickup at the deadline if only for the idea of Kane on one wing and Stewart on the other.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
  #98
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Trade Bogosian for Parise's rights.

Something just ain't right with a young guy that turns down the World Championships and quips that he "isn't bothered" by the Torchetti feud, IMO.

Postma and Zubarev should both be up here next year.

Draft best available at #7.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
  #99
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,318
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
Trade Bogosian for Parise's rights.

Something just ain't right with a young guy that turns down the World Championships and quips that he "isn't bothered" by the Torchetti feud, IMO.

Postma and Zubarev should both be up here next year.

Draft best available at #7.
We'd have to add to get Parise. I'd add our first if we knew we could keep him, but that still wouldn't be enough IMO.

Do you not think it would be a big risk to rely on two rookie defensemen? I guess you could put one guy with Stuart and the other with Hainsey, but I just don't think that would be a good idea. I think one of those guys could definitely be on the opening night roster though.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 04:20 PM
  #100
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
We'd have to add to get Parise. I'd add our first if we knew we could keep him, but that still wouldn't be enough IMO.

Do you not think it would be a big risk to rely on two rookie defensemen? I guess you could put one guy with Stuart and the other with Hainsey, but I just don't think that would be a good idea. I think one of those guys could definitely be on the opening night roster though.
how can anything short of myself playing defense be any worse than any year of Thrasher defense? We suck every year! maybe a couple of rookies with some nuts in the corners would be a good thing.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.