Notices

2011 Draft Thread

Old
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Ashe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I'm leaning towards us possibly taking Zibanejad. No idea how things are going to go down though. Could see someone taking Murphy in the top 4. Could see the defensemen fall like last year with the likely exception of Larsson. Armia could go anywhere from 7th or 8th to in the early 20's. If you go back and look at mock drafts from last year, no one had Burmi higher then 10th and we took him at 8th. Teams will make the neccessary reach to get their guy. So much up in the air really.

We still don't need to add THAT much to make that trade. It's too lopsided towards Vancouver.
It's all based on needs. Dudley doesn't seem to see center as a needing point (Hence trading Pevs). So i dont see us going that way. The late season switching of our defencemen makes me think we are going to be going to a defencemen with the pick. And Siemens has looked the best that i have seen.

Also, vancouver doesn't have hemsky. Vancouver's the whiny baby team.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:35 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 598
No clue why I thought Vancouver.

The reason I say Zibanejad is because i'm pretty sure he can move to RW.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
KevFist
is best pony

If we could get a quality defenseman, I'd be okay with moving Bogosian AND Oduya, let the acquisition take Bogosian's spot and Postma/Zubarev in Oduya's spot.

That being said, I'm willing to give Bogosian another year to show his worth.....But my patience is growing thin.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
If we could get a quality defenseman, I'd be okay with moving Bogosian AND Oduya, let the acquisition take Bogosian's spot and Postma/Zubarev in Oduya's spot.

That being said, I'm willing to give Bogosian another year to show his worth.....But my patience is growing thin.
I feel the same way, minus my patience has been gone for 2 years.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:34 PM
rocketdan9

The thrashers will most likely choose between Strome and Hurbedeau. (could be real easy depending on who Ottawa chooses first)

Hurbedeau just doesn't stop scoring points but isn't a particular good skater. (if thats something to worry about)

Strome on the other hand has had a great regular season but followed by a so so playoffs . Also was non existent at the prospects game. Great skater, shooter, passer but needs to strengthen up

Mika is also a possibility but the team needs more scoring and firepower upfront vs needing a utility two way player like Mika

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Could Sven Bartschi be a darkhorse at pick 7 for Atlanta?
He is a natural right wing which we need and currently outplaying Niño Neiderreiter at Portland in the WHL playoffs.

If Strome and Huberdeau are gone by pick 7 then I'm starting to like Bartschi over Zibanejad

Peter Sidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Sabreality

Bartschi is certainly a possibility, i like his game more than some of the other wingers that could go 7-15...if Duds really likes him i wouldnt be shocked to see the pick.

Mark McNeil is becoming one of my favorites and is rising up my board...hard to pass up big 2-way centers with scoring ability...i want him over Zibanejad at this point.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Sabreality

wheres that Dustin Brown type RW...could Zibanejad be that kind of player?

Old
05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
wheres that Dustin Brown type RW...could Zibanejad be that kind of player?
Landeskog is a Dustin Brown type. Unfortunately we need to trade up to pick 2 to get him.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Landeskog is a Dustin Brown type. Unfortunately we need to trade up to pick 2 to get him.
yeah..i love Landeskog.

i'm growing more and more enamored with McNeil..i'm all for drafting him..whether they 'reach' (who knows what NHL draft boards REALLY look like) or trade down a few slots, i'd love the pick.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

As this draft gets closer i'm starting to feel if Thrashers aren't not going to use pick 7 to get a young top 6 right wing, then the next best option is to trade up and get the best winger in the draft either Landeskog or Huberdeau. As good as Courtier and Strome will be, I don't want to draft another center.

I think a deal can be made with New Jersey to get pick 4 if they are targeting Ryan Murphy. It may cost us taking on a bad contract like Brian Rolston and pick 7 plus another pick/prospect for them to do the deal, which Dudley has to consider whether it will be worth it.
Then once we have pick 4, we probably need to trade up again to pick 3 to get Landeskog. Otherwise we can stand pat and draft Huberdeau, all this assuming RNH and Adam Larsson goes 1 & 2 as predicted.

I'm looking forward to it. I think the first round is going to be so exciting due to the even nature of the talent.

Old
05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Sabreality

ISS May Rankings

1. Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan, F 4/12/93 L 6.00.5 170 Red Deer WHL
2. Larsson, Adam, RD 11/12/92 R 6.03 209 Skelleftea SweE
3. Couturier, Sean, C 12/7/92 L 6.04 195 Drummondville QMJHL
4. Landeskog, Gabriel, LW 11/23/92 L 6.00.25 205 Kitchener OHL
5. Hamilton, Douglas, RD 6/17/93 R 6.04 190 Niagara OHL
6. Zibanejad, Mika, C 4/18/93 R 6.01.5 191 Djurgarden SweJE
7. Huberdeau, Jonathan C/L 6/4/93 L 6'1.25 168 Saint John QMJHL
8. Murphy, Ryan, RD 3/31/93 R 5.10.25 168 Kitchener OHL
9. Strome, Ryan, C 7/11/93 R 6.00.25 183 Niagara OHL
10. Klefbom, Oscar, LD 7/20/93 L 6.03 196 Farjestad Swe18
11. Bartschi, Sven, LW 10/5/92 L 5.10.5 175 Portland WHL
12. Siemens, Duncan, LD 9/7/93 L 6.03 197 Saskatoon WHL
13. Armia, Joel, RW 5/31/93 R 6.03 191 Assat FinE
14. Beaulieu, Nathan, LD, 12/5/92 L 6.02 185 Saint John QMJHL
15. Grimaldi, Rocco, C 2/8/93 R 5.06 163 USA Under-18 USHL
16. Miller, JT, LW 3/14/93 L 6.01.25 198 USA Under-18 USHL
17. Scheifele, Mark, C 3/15/93 R 6.01.5 177 Barrie OHL
18. Murphy, Connor, RD 3/26/93 R 6.03 195 USA Under-18 USHL
19. Brodin, Jonas, LD 7/12/93 L 6.01 165 Farjestad SweE
20. McNeill, Mark, C 2/22/93 R 6.01 204 Prince Albert WHL
21. Oleksiak, Jamie (Fr.) *, LD 12/21/92 L 6.07 244 Northeastern H.E.
22. Jensen, Nicklas, F 3/6/93 L 6.02.25 188 Oshawa OHL
23. Khokhlachev, Alexandr F 9/9/93 L 5.10 188 Windsor OHL
24. Saad, Brandon, LW 10/27/92 L 6.01.25 208 Saginaw OHL
25. Rask, Victor, C 3/1/93 L 6.01.5 194 Leksands SweAl
26. Musil, David, LD 4/9/93 L 6.03.5 200 Vancouver WHL
27. Rattie, Ty, LW 2/5/93 R 5.11 170 Portland WHL
28. Puempel, Matthew, LW 1/24/93 L 6.00 198 Peterborough OHL
29. Phillips, Zack, C 10/28/92 R 6.01 181 Saint John QMJHL
30. Ritchie, Brett, RW 7/1/93 R 6.03 210 Sarnia OHL

Old
05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i see one of these scenarios

trade up and take landeskog-not a very dudley-like move really.

stay at 7 and draft whichever of murphy, larsson, or hamilton is still avialable (pipe dream in the case of larsson but you never know. fowler fell pretty far last year)-most likely and possibly opens the door to trade bogosian for a winger

trade down and draft armia-also not very likely.

my dream scenario would be to trade down to around 14 or so to draft armia and hopefully pick up a 2nd. then package that 2nd along with some of our plethora of later round picks and oduya/whatever so-so prospect to move to the 20 spot or so and draft one of the d-men likely still available there (brodin, musil, etc.).
go with kane-burmistrov-antropov as our 2nd line this year and hope for the best, then replace oduya with one of kulda/postma/zubarev.
give armia another year to develop and then bring him up.

lineup next year
ladd-little-wheeler
kane-burmi-antro
klingberg/stapelton-cormier-dvorak
boults-slater-thor

buff-enstrom
hainsey-bogo
stuart-postma

two years
kane-burmi-little/wheeler
ladd-little/wheeler-armia/antro
klingberg-cormier-antro/armia
boults/thor-slater-thor/machacek

bogo/buff-toby
bogo/buff-hainsey/?
stuart-postma

3 years
not gonna bother to make lines for something so far away but hopefully by this time kane and burmi have developed into legit top liners, bogo has either developed or been shipped, whatever d-man we drafted is nhl ready, and one of either little, wheeler, or armia plays the top line RW spot.

yeah chances of all that happening are zilch

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:28 PM
KevFist
is best pony

In two years, go ahead and plug in Telegin for Antro.

I also wouldn't mind seeing us go all the way down in the 1st...Get a really solid roster player and take Richie with our first. I like the cut of his gib.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 758
Wow, Zibanejad really skyrocketed up the charts. At 6 ahead of Huberdeau and Strome!

Z could be a good piece to add (RW of the Future).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

zibanejad is just another two way guy right?

i'm sick of that, we have an entire team of it. we need someone that can actually score.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:30 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Well, as one of the more vocal dissenters of Jon Herpaderp... I retake everything I say. This kid is legit. I was watching the entire Memorial Cup and he was easily MVP. Wait, no, he was MVP. Memorial Cup Champ & Memorial Cup MVP.

He could easily fall to us or easily go top 5. Don't be surprised if someone trades up to get him.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Well, as one of the more vocal dissenters of Jon Herpaderp... I retake everything I say. This kid is legit. I was watching the entire Memorial Cup and he was easily MVP. Wait, no, he was MVP. Memorial Cup Champ & Memorial Cup MVP.

He could easily fall to us or easily go top 5. Don't be surprised if someone trades up to get him.
Rumor is that Colorado is going to pass on Larsson and take him assuming RNH goes 1st overall.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Roulin

Some Strome stuff:

Few players have had the meteoric rise that Strome had this season. From offensive depth player to nearly winning the OHL scoring title in one year. Strome is an absolutely electrifying offensive player. He can make moves at top speed and will make one defenseman look like a fool nearly every game. He is a very complete offensive player who can really wire the puck (especially on the one timer ala Steve Stamkos), but he's also a very good playmaker. He works hard in the offensive end and really slows the game down to give his linemates good opportunities to score. Strome is tenacious away from the puck and goes hard into the corners looking for loose pucks. He'll even drop the mitts if he has to (and has some general pest like qualities to him). But he's not without his flaws. He'll need to improve his two way play in order to play center at the NHL level. I think he could also stand to add another gear to help create even more offense off the rush. Strome was also a little bit disappointing in this year's playoffs for me. He never really found a groove offensively. That being said, I see him having a TON of offensive potential at the NHL level. He's the type of dynamic player you build your first line around...
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...r-2011_17.html

No player in the draft did more to come from the middle of the pack to grab elite draft status than Strome did this season. He had a magnificent year, finishing with 33 goals, 73 assists and 106 points, holding the OHL league scoring lead until the last day of the season, when Kings and Flyers prospects Tyler Toffoli (5 points) and Jason Akeson passed him up to both finish with 108. Missed a few games due to a Joey Hishon sucker punch, otherwise he probably would have led the OHL in scoring. Strome came into the season not on many radars in terms of being a first-round pick, but hit the ground running and never looked back. Average size, but grew a bit since last year, which helped him in terms of where he's regarded amongst scouts. Excellent skater who can beat defenders with his speed or elusiveness. Very soft hands and superb puckhandler who uses his feet and creativity to be a going concern offensively. Just a dynamic scorer who isn't quite in RNH's class, but isn't too far off, either. Will probably break into the top-5 in June because he is such a skilled player who can both score the goals and set them up. He's a hard worker who doesn't have any real flaws to his game- just needs to get stronger and continue to be diligent in the defensive aspects...
http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...n-roundup.html

Both writers rank Strome #2 draft eligible prospect in the OHL, after Landeskog.

My best guess has RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier, Huberdeau and Hamilton going top 6, leaving Strome, Murphy and Zibanejad.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Just still not sold on RNH as a #1 overall with this draft. I think the Top 6 are a lot closer together than anyone realizes. Still not impressed with this crop of players though....I hear next year's even worse.

Old
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
tbcwpg

So I asked this in the Center Depth thread but this is a better spot, I'll remove that post.

With the depth at centre, it looks as though a lot of the guys who will be available at 7 play C as their primary position, like Huberdeau, Zibanejad, and Strome. Should the team just stick with the "best player available" mantra that seems like protocol for the first round, or maybe drop down the list and pick a positional need, like D or a winger? Winger depth may be an issue but Burmistrov and Strome at C in the future sounds good.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Just still not sold on RNH as a #1 overall with this draft. I think the Top 6 are a lot closer together than anyone realizes. Still not impressed with this crop of players though....I hear next year's even worse.
Next year is going to be a better year no doubt. The consensus #1, Nail Yakupov, won rookie of the year in the CHL. Think a Kovalchuk's skill and Burmistrov's personality.

Past that, the defensive draftees are amazing too. Keep a name in mind, Nick Ebert. He's gonna be good.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Where are you hearing that next year's draft is worse? It seems like everyone loves to gush about the draft talent in 2012.

Old
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
So I asked this in the Center Depth thread but this is a better spot, I'll remove that post.

With the depth at centre, it looks as though a lot of the guys who will be available at 7 play C as their primary position, like Huberdeau, Zibanejad, and Strome. Should the team just stick with the "best player available" mantra that seems like protocol for the first round, or maybe drop down the list and pick a positional need, like D or a winger? Winger depth may be an issue but Burmistrov and Strome at C in the future sounds good.
I think it depends on your own draft philosophy.

In the NFL for instance, the players are pretty much coming out of the draft ready to play. It's a lot easier to draft based on need.

The NHL drafts 18 year old kids, who with the exception of a few players each year, need sometimes 2 to 3 years to make the NHL.

My personal philosophy is that you always take BPA. Too many things can happen between the draft and when that player is on your roster. Plus, if you consistently take BPA, if you need to make a trade to acquire a need, your return will be greater.

The only time I would be ok with a trade down scenario is if the scouting staff was picking in a area of the draft where they rated a large bunch of prospects the same. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to move down a few spots if you could pick up an extra asset, assuming that you were still in the same area of the draft.

My answer to your question would be that I would need to know how the scouting staff see the talent at the 7th pick. To me, if they see a guy like Strome as a potential cornerstone #1 center, and after him they see a drop-off, then I would want them to draft Strome. If they see picks 7 to 15 for example as pretty comparable in talent, then I wouldn't be bothered too much with a trade down, assuming the team stays in the top 15.

This is just my philosophy though. I would always take BPA and make trades and sign UFA's to fill holes.

Old
05-30-2011, 02:01 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Huffer, you and Headsigh are correct... For some reason, I'd set my WABAC machine for 2010 draft...

-2 to my charisma.... D'OH!