HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Vanek shoulders blame for missed chances"

Old
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
"Vanek shoulders blame for missed chances"

Vanek shoulders blame for missed chances

Quote:
"I feel like I'm playing good and I got my chances," Vanek said. "Obviously I'm not good enough to put them away. I just have to keep working hard in practice and that's about it. It's a 3-1 hockey game and I had a couple good chances and didn't put them away for sure, 4-1, 5-1. Just didn't do a good enough job."
Quote:
"We went to close it out and they kept working hard getting pucks to the net," Vanek said. "We played well in the second. In the third we had chances to add on to our lead and put the game out of hand. I have to be better than that."

On the overtime goal, Vanek got caught as defenseman Ryan Suter got the puck on a pass from David Legwand from behind the net and fed Erat.

"I was with him [Suter], the puck went behind [the net] and I thought we had it so I stayed behind him," Vanek said. "It was just a bad read by me. I've got to stay in front of him. That one is on me."
I'm interested to see what he does vs. Montreal on Tuesday night. There seems to be two camps on his quotes -- one holds that he's taking responsibility and stepping forward, the other seems to think that he's a headcase. Put me, cautiously, in the first group -- this looks like he's stepping in front of the press scrum and taking the brunt of it on a night when two younger players had mental gaffs on multiple goals (Myers and Sekera), where some are coming down on the goaltending. Taking responsibility is part of maturation into leadership.

Now let us see what he does Tuesday.

03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Dubi Doo

That's captain material right there. Talk is cheap, tho. He's been caught cherry picking before. Let's see how he plays against Montreal. I think/hope he breaks out of his scoring slump.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Luceni

Can't wait until tomorrow.
Hope he scores a few goals.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

i really feel that these last 10 games are a defining moment in Vanek's career.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Vanek shoulders blame for missed chances

I'm interested to see what he does vs. Montreal on Tuesday night. There seems to be two camps on his quotes -- one holds that he's taking responsibility and stepping forward, the other seems to think that he's a headcase. Put me, cautiously, in the first group -- this looks like he's stepping in front of the press scrum and taking the brunt of it on a night when two younger players had mental gaffs on multiple goals (Myers and Sekera), where some are coming down on the goaltending. Taking responsibility is part of maturation into leadership.

Now let us see what he does Tuesday.
Wow...I feel like a jerk because I've been criticizing him for that. And really all season, this is a guy with the mind and talents of a persistent 40 goal scorer who could EASILY have 10 more goals this season. He's obviously a man of great character and integrity, I hope he is able to bear down on his chances the rest of the way and get the results his team needs from him.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Jame, I usually don't agree with you. But, if he can back up the talk and shoulder this team to the playoffs or if he glides down the stretch. Is he gonna be Alfreddson or Kovalev? We should know in a few weeks.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Jame, I usually don't agree with you. But, if he can back up the talk and shoulder this team to the playoffs or if he glides down the stretch. Is he gonna be Alfreddson or Kovalev? We should know in a few weeks.
exactly what i was thinking

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
My gut says Alfreddson, frankly. I don't see much, if any, slacking off in his game right now. The questions surrounding Vanek are still there b/c of injuries at key times which have prevented him from being available for those 'defining moments' previously. That's what my gut is telling me.

Of course, I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I like what he did here, and think too much is being made of the missed chances. I don't think a streak like this stays with someone for a long time, if that player is as offensively talented as TV

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

I like his taking responsibility. It shows maturity. I dont like him looking to the heavens after a glorious chance....but....he is streaky, always has been streaky> Even when scoring 40 + he was streaky.

He was on an incredible streak to start our turnaround. He was on a streak going into the playoffs last year.

What I am saying is when the floodgates open, they will come in bunches.

If he can keep his all around game at its current high level and capitalize on more of his chances, he will be firing on all cylanders physically and mentally.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
QFT.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
My gut says Alfreddson, frankly. I don't see much, if any, slacking off in his game right now. The questions surrounding Vanek are still there b/c of injuries at key times which have prevented him from being available for those 'defining moments' previously. That's what my gut is telling me.

Of course, I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Ta,
Consider the end of last season how he exploded and was looking damn fine in the Bruins series before his injury.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
umwoz

Just out of curiosity. Do you guys still think Vanek is one of those lethal "one shot scorers"?

I remember watching his 40 goal seasons and it seemed like regardless of the situation, all TV needed was one good opportunity to put one home. He didn't seem to take a game to solve a goalie, just one shot.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Kruschiki

He'll want to hit 30 goals, and he's 5 away, so he'll be working.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
It's put up or shut up time for him.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Just out of curiosity. Do you guys still think Vanek is one of those lethal "one shot scorers"?

I remember watching his 40 goal seasons and it seemed like regardless of the situation, all TV needed was one good opportunity to put one home. He didn't seem to take a game to solve a goalie, just one shot.
I've personally never looked at him as any kind of sniper. Lots of his goals in the 40 goal seasons were on rebounds, banging in trash and hitting deflections.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

He's never really been a sniper in terms of scoring a lot of goals that way, but god damn does he have a beautiful slapper.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:

I think Vanek's game has changed so much over the past few years. He isn't a "goal scorer" any more, because that label makes it seem like he is a one dimensional player. He doesn't score as many goals as he used to, but he does a lot more other things.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Sabretip

If nothing else, Vanek has always been willing to accept blame and fault himself for failures on the ice, be it his own or those of the team. He obviously didn't cash in on the scoring chances he had and the common logic that he's paid to do so is fair - but I can accept him being unlucky on converting those chances when I see the kind of effort he has been giving pretty much every game for several months. Many of his scoring chances are coming because of his working hard on the backcheck / forecheck, and from him keeping his feet moving - which is a radical improvement from past years where he'd coast around in 1st gear for most of his shifts and wait for someone else to create an opportunity for him.

We've all seen it often enough in the past to know that most scorers are streaky and go on hot and cold streaks. Vanek's no different - I expect him to break out soon with one of those explosions that suddenly is followed by a streak where he scores in bunches. He's coming too close in recent games to think otherwise.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I've seen Vanek be snake bitten before, but he easily could have had 4 goals last night. Is that luck? nerves? choke job? "gripping the stick too tight?" Call it what you want, but he's either going to go on a scoring tear (he's definitely getting to the right spots at the right times) or be so demoralized that he'll fold. I agree that the next 10 games are a key moment for him. If he leads the team into the playoffs, he should be our next capitan.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Whereas Vanek's play and extent of leadership has been in past seasons about as minimal as Kovalev's, he has been much more of an all-around player with honest work ethic and made his linemates better this season, just as Alfredsson has always done. I don't see why that will change for the remainder of the season and possibly into the playoffs.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If nothing else, Vanek has always been willing to accept blame and fault himself for failures on the ice, be it his own or those of the team. He obviously didn't cash in on the scoring chances he had and the common logic that he's paid to do so is fair - but I can accept him being unlucky on converting those chances when I see the kind of effort he has been giving pretty much every game for several months. Many of his scoring chances are coming because of his working hard on the backcheck / forecheck, and from him keeping his feet moving - which is a radical improvement from past years where he'd coast around in 1st gear for most of his shifts and wait for someone else to create an opportunity for him.

We've all seen it often enough in the past to know that most scorers are streaky that go on hot and cold streaks. Vanek's no different - I expect him to break out soon with one of those explosions that suddenly is followed by a streak where he scores in bunches. He's coming too close in recent games to think otherwise.
It also is something for the team's leading scorer to stand up and hold himself accountable for not converting even though he IS visibly working pretty hard shift-on-shift. There are some guys on this team who weren't nearly as successful generating chances last night that the team looks to for scoring -- this could be Vanek setting the bar for himself and others, gives someone else pause to wonder if he could be doing more, if he can be better, be it scorer, defender, grinder...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I've seen Vanek be snake bitten before, but he easily could have had 4 goals last night. Is that luck? nerves? choke job? "gripping the stick too tight?" Call it what you want, but he's either going to go on a scoring tear (he's definitely getting to the right spots at the right times) or be so demoralized that he'll fold. I agree that the next 10 games are a key moment for him. If he leads the team into the playoffs, he should be our next capitan.
It's just looked like bad luck to me. He hasn't done anything wrong or screwed up in any way in any of the chances he's gotten recently, so I can't really say it's been him choking. Some of the shots have gone through the crease, he's hit some posts and the goaltenders have made some really nice saves on him. If he was missing the net completely or fanning on opportunities or something then I'd say he was choking, but he's just hit a streak of bad luck. Eventually those will start going his way ala the Boston game from the end of last season.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

If you watched the Atl game, you could see how unlucky he is with hitting the crossbar then the back of Masons head and it still didn't go in.

Sooner or later those shots have to go in. I hope.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I like his taking responsibility. It shows maturity. I dont like him looking to the heavens after a glorious chance....but....he is streaky, always has been streaky> Even when scoring 40 + he was streaky.

He was on an incredible streak to start our turnaround. He was on a streak going into the playoffs last year.

What I am saying is when the floodgates open, they will come in bunches.

If he can keep his all around game at its current high level and capitalize on more of his chances, he will be firing on all cylanders physically and mentally.
In the past, his streakiness was defined by him taking over games when he was hot and disappearing completely when he wasn't.

Right now, even when he's not putting up points or scoring goals, he's still an effective player and has even been the best player on the ice on a few occasions.

That's the difference and maturity in this game right now.

I think right now he's more snake-bitten than cold.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote