Notices

Brad Lukowich is on Re-Entry Waivers

Old
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Brad Lukowich is on Re-Entry Waivers

I'm lazy and I've always thought it was stupid so I'm not 100% clear on the 4 call-up limit after the trade deadline.

I assume Segal and Lukowich each count towards the 4, but what if they are re-assigned and another injury occurs? If they are called back up, does that count again or can they both go up and down and not count as an additional call-up?

I know regardless, they still require waivers, but I hope they could theoretically go back down if needed with no consequence to the 4 player limit.

Did that make sense?

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556878

Quote:
Frisco, Tex. - The Dallas Stars announced today that the club has recalled defenseman Brad Lukowich from the Texas Stars, Dallas' primary affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL), after he cleared re-entry waivers this morning.

Lukowich, 34, has skated in 67 games for the Texas Stars in 2010-11, tallying 27 points (4g, 23a) and 59 penalty minutes. He has dressed in 653 career NHL games, including 224 career games with Dallas from 1997-2002, posting 113 points (23g, 90a). The Cranbrook, BC, native helped Dallas win the Stanley Cup in 1999, playing in eight games during the playoffs, and won the Cup again in 2004 with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The 6-1, 200-pound defenseman played 13 games with Vancouver in 2009-10, collecting a goal and an assist. Lukowich spent part of last season with the Texas Stars during the club's inaugural season, skating in 29 games and recording 18 points (3g, 15a). He was signed as a free agent by Dallas on July 16, 2010.

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 03-22-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Edited to include call up article
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Wow, Lukowich?

Interesting.

e: I know nothing about the 4 callups other than we only get 4.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
txomisc

I think its the right move. Lukowich is probably better than Skrastins and woywitka anyway.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm lazy and I've always thought it was stupid so I'm not 100% clear on the 4 call-up limit after the trade deadline.

I assume Segal and Lukowich each count towards the 4, but what if they are re-assigned and another injury occurs? If they are called back up, does that count again or can they both go up and down and not count as an additional call-up?

I know regardless, they still require waivers, but I hope they could theoretically go back down if needed with no consequence to the 4 player limit.

Did that make sense?
Heika started talking about it yesterday in his blog, so take that for what you will.

But each team is allowed 4 non-emergency call ups after the trade deadline. Segal and Vincour count as 2. This, I'm guessing, will count as the 3rd.

No idea how many emergency call ups are allowed or if this once is counted as one as such.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I think its the right move. Lukowich is probably better than Skrastins and woywitka anyway.
Lukowich won't replace either. He's probably another excuse to keep Fistric scratched.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Wait ... Vincour can't be one of the 4 call-ups. He's been here since before the trade deadline (recalled on 2/6). He'd only count as a call-up if he was assigned to Dallas after the trade deadline.

Right?

Old
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Stars99Lobo37

As I said...it's Heika's explanation so take it for what it's worth.

Here's the quote..

Quote:
Nicklas Grossman suffered a knee injury of some sort on Saturday. Grossman missed 11 games with a hip injury and was playing his fifth game since returning on Saturday when he left the game in the first period. However, this new injury had nothing to do with the hip and appears to be a twisted knee. He will not get a full evaluation until Monday, so the Stars will have better information at that time.

Karlis Skrastins was cut by a skate blade on the thigh that may have penetrated some muscle. He had some stitches, but the real concern is about the muscle.

Both will potentially be out when the Stars play host to the Ducks on Wednesday to end this seven-game homestand.

Mark Fistric would draw into the lineup if either is out, and then the Stars would be able to call up one defenseman from the Texas Stars on an emergency basis. The Stars only get four non-emergency ``call-ups'' from Feb. 28 on, and they have already used two (one on Tomas Vincour and one on Brandon Segal). So they would like to only call up players on an emergency basis for right now.

The Texas Stars are healthy and getting ready to start a five-game homestand of their own, so there are lots of options available when it comes to defense.

The front office will probably wait until Monday to make a move.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...or-wedn-1.html

Old
03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
But Vincour was up before the trade deadline...? Does it have something to do with the Clear Day roster for the Baby Stars?

Also I'm going to assume our bottom pair is going to be Fistric-Lukowich for the next couple games...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Whether or not they count towards the 4 depends if he is being recalled on an emergency basis or not. I would assume he is being recalled as an emergency given they only have 5 healthy defensemen, but I'm not sure if that has to be declared at the time of call up or if it's a given based on the fact they're below the number of healthy roster players.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
txomisc

Heikas gotta be wrong

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Whether or not they count towards the 4 depends if he is being recalled on an emergency basis or not. I would assume he is being recalled as an emergency given they only have 5 healthy defensemen, but I'm not sure if that has to be declared at the time of call up or if it's a given based on the fact they're below the number of healthy roster players.
Grossman and Skrastins would both have to be on IR for Lukowich to be considered an emergency recall.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
I'm kind of sad about this... Lukowich isn't very good anymore. Has a short fuse and is always on the ice when the other team scores. He tries to clear the net but ends up screening Bachman himself.

Luddy should've gotten the call.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Grossman and Skrastins would both have to be on IR for Lukowich to be considered an emergency recall.
They can't officially recall him until after he clears, yes? So at that point, they can put Grossman and Skrastins on IR retroactive to Saturday and have it be emergency?

Old
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
They can't officially recall him until after he clears, yes? So at that point, they can put Grossman and Skrastins on IR retroactive to Saturday and have it be emergency?
Yes. I was pointing out that if Lukowich is being recalled under emergency conditions, both Grossman and Skrastins will have to be put on IR and will not be eligible to play for 7 days. Which would mean that both players would miss the next two games. Heika's update seems to suggest that Skrastins could play Wednesday and that Lukowich will be an emergency recall. He needs to clarify that if Lukowich is being recalled under emergency conditions then there is no chance of Grossman or Skrastins playing on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure
But Vincour was up before the trade deadline...? Does it have something to do with the Clear Day roster for the Baby Stars?
You're correct. In order to make the clear day roster Vincour had to be assigned to Texas and then recalled to Dallas using up one of the Dallas' four call-ups.

Last edited by Fly Like a C5: 03-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I am good with this. I think Ludwig would have been fine though too

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
As I said...it's Heika's explanation so take it for what it's worth.

Here's the quote..

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...or-wedn-1.html
Heika is contradicting himself. He said they get 4 from 2/28 on, includes Vincour, and Vincour was called up on 2/6.

..... This is irritating. I think he's wrong, based on his own explanation he is wrong, but I could also see someone from the Stars told him Vincour counted and he just screwed up the explanation ..... why couldn't Mark weigh in on this?

Old
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Heika is contradicting himself. He said they get 4 from 2/28 on, includes Vincour, and Vincour was called up on 2/6.

..... This is irritating. I think he's wrong, based on his own explanation he is wrong, but I could also see someone from the Stars told him Vincour counted and he just screwed up the explanation ..... why couldn't Mark weigh in on this?
Vincour had to be assigned to Texas in order to make the clear day roster and then recalled to Dallas. This happened after the trade deadline and uses 1 of the 4 call-ups.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Kritter471

Couple notable grafs from the most recent Heika blog.

Quote:
The Stars used their first call-up on Tomas Vincour so that they could make sure he was on the ``clear day roster'' and eligible for the playoffs in the AHL. For Vincour to be placed on the clear day roster, he had to be assigned to the Texas Stars on Feb. 28 and then recalled. That was one of the call-ups. The second one was recently used to call up Brandon Segal.

The plan on Brad Lukowich is that they will call him up on an emergency basis because they have only five defensemen. That means that once Karlis Skrastins or Nicklas Grossman is healthy, Lukowich would have to be returned to the AHL. Now, if Lukowich performs exceptionally well and Skrastins is ready to play soon, then the Stars could use their third call-up on Lukowich and still have one more left.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-up-issue.html

So that clarifies that the play right now is to put both Skrastins and Grossman on IR, I would assume retroactive to Saturday. If Skrastins is doing better than they thought tomorrow, I would assume they could also simply not call up Lukowich at the moment since the clearing waivers stays good for... 30 days, right?

Old
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Vincour had to be assigned to Texas in order to make the clear day roster and then recalled to Dallas. This happened after the trade deadline and uses 1 of the 4 call-ups.
That makes no sense.

There's no record on any transaction sheet that I've seen to support Vincour getting re-assigned. Part of the assignment process means you actually have to go to that team. Vincour would have had to travel to Austin. You can't just assign a guy and then never send him. That's why Neal and ... was it Fistric ... were assigned to the CHL team in Oklahoma when Dallas didn't have an AHL team, and they needed to clear space to put Zubov on LTIR before the season actually started. That's also why Sheldon Souray, after the beating of no one taking him on re-entry, had to fly to Edmonton only to immediately return to Hershey.

The only thing that would make sense would be there is some rule that doesn't require teams to announce assignments. I'm not aware of one though, but I guess it's possible.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:18 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Well that's defeating ....

I thought EliteProspects, TSN, ESPN, and CBS actually covered all the transactions. They don't.

The only transaction log that has Vincour going down and coming up is the AHL log. I guess he spent the day flying to Austin and back because there is no exception to that rule.

Elite Prospects is typically the only one I checked since it had always seemed to be accurate. Regardless of them missing this transactions, the Elite Prospects transaction log is pretty neat if you're ever bored. It has a ton of obscure transactions from leagues around the world. Something popped up for an Australian league recently. You'd think they'd note a transfer to the AHL if they're catching stuff in Australia .... lol.

Old
03-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
That makes no sense.

There's no record on any transaction sheet that I've seen to support Vincour getting re-assigned. Part of the assignment process means you actually have to go to that team. Vincour would have had to travel to Austin. You can't just assign a guy and then never send him. That's why Neal and ... was it Fistric ... were assigned to the CHL team in Oklahoma when Dallas didn't have an AHL team, and they needed to clear space to put Zubov on LTIR before the season actually started. That's also why Sheldon Souray, after the beating of no one taking him on re-entry, had to fly to Edmonton only to immediately return to Hershey.

The only thing that would make sense would be there is some rule that doesn't require teams to announce assignments. I'm not aware of one though, but I guess it's possible.
It's just the way the AHL is run. A player who is on an NHL roster at the trade deadline cannot be on an AHL clear day roster. That player must actually be assigned to an AHL team and then recalled. Pittsburgh got shafted by the rules this year. Nick Johnson and Eric Tangradi were both called up to Pittsburgh this season and then suffered concussions. Due to their injuries they could not be sent down to the Baby Pens at the deadline and didn't make the clear day roster and will not be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Stars99Lobo37

Cleared waivers per Mark.

Is on the ice at practice.

Edit: Just saw this posted by Bob McKenzie...
Quote:
DAL's Brad Lukowich clears re-entry waivers. As if there was any doubt. If claimed, would've been ineligible to play reg season or playoffs.
Why? :/

Old
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Cleared waivers per Mark.

Is on the ice at practice.

Edit: Just saw this posted by Bob McKenzie...

Why? :/
To keep teams from poaching players after the deadline.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote