HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Hockey Arena Pt XVII: Season 39- Booo, Ranger35, Booo.

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
And here are the two potential studs as per usual. What did I do to get primetime's luck to rub off on me?

18 year old 92/?72 Offensive ?93 AI
19 year old 82/?92 Offensive ?88 AI

I have two boosts. Thinking about using them both on the 18 year old. Or perhaps one on each? Hrm...
18 year old 92/82/-3 96 AI
19 year old 82/82/-3 95 AI

Both have builds that would be best suited for wingers.

Last edited by Rune Forumwalker: 04-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
18 year old 92/82/-3 96 AI
19 year old 82/72/-3 95 AI

Both have builds that would be best suited for wingers.
Very, very nice pull on the 18 year old. Sucks about the P on the 19 year old, but still very nice pulls. That 18 year old might be a 200M pull, eh?

Old
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Very, very nice pull on the 18 year old. Sucks about the P on the 19 year old, but still very nice pulls. That 18 year old might be a 200M pull, eh?
I mistyped. They are both 82P.

Trying to see if there is space in the lineup.

Ok the 18 year old can definitely come in for Novotny or Gilles. Novotny has the better Q, but Gilles with the better P and is +3. For the 19 year old it would come down to Novotny/Gilles (whoever didn't get bumped already), Smitala, or Nickerson.

Last edited by Rune Forumwalker: 04-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Clarke

What have you guys done in this predicament:

I'm sitting just below the relegation line, my team really would just be fighting to stay in III for the foreseeable future (next 3 seasons i'd say) before my youth become strong, then maybe make the playoffs again.

So would you a) just cut your losses, play the young ones for experience and be relegated and likely have to start a rebuild or b)Battle it out and hope you can just stay at the highest possible competition for as long as you can?

I don't spend enough time on HA to see myself ever making the top league so if that factors into a decision just an fyi.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:07 AM
tujague

I had a couple of decent 19yos before the reset One was probably crap, but the other could have helped someone depending on his P. I think he was 85Q and 95AI. The other was around 80AI and 70Q. I'm not sure about that, but I know he had more AI than I thought his Q warranted.

Got crapped on with the second batch. I'd love to get a damn player for this rebuild. 52 weeks since Shane McNally and 30 weeks since Dave Streeter. God knows how long before McNally it was that I had a great pull. I know I spent three or four seasons in II.1 waiting for that monster pull to kick off my rebuild. So I guess it's at least that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
What have you guys done in this predicament:

I'm sitting just below the relegation line, my team really would just be fighting to stay in III for the foreseeable future (next 3 seasons i'd say) before my youth become strong, then maybe make the playoffs again.

So would you a) just cut your losses, play the young ones for experience and be relegated and likely have to start a rebuild or b)Battle it out and hope you can just stay at the highest possible competition for as long as you can?

I don't spend enough time on HA to see myself ever making the top league so if that factors into a decision just an fyi.
I've done both. Fought to survive and dropped twice to play some kids, although one demotion was not planned That was the first time I made it to III. Then I pulled Rector and Delarosa... ahh, the good ole days when I had a pretty good YS. If your team is still a few years away from fighting for a playoff spot, then just drop down. No point in struggling for three more years when you could have more fun competing in the league below. Can your team compete in IV?

Old
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Then I pulled Rector
That sounds painful.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
That sounds painful.
As I was scrolling down, I saw my quote before your post and my first thought was 'eww'. Definitely an unfortunate name. Cagle sounds pretty bad as well. I think they're both pronounced the same way.

Old
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
tujague

I just spent 75M on a 35yo with 450 experience. I did that just so I could beat Gairden tomorrow.

Old
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
TKBomber7285

I just spent 119,000,000 on a 18 year-old 90/71 +3 93 AI winger. Felt I might have overspent a little due to being Max-3, until I saw the + that was scouted was +3 which made it much more palatable. Putting him straight into the lineup as I might as well get these young guys the experience that they'll need to carry this team someday.

Old
04-09-2011, 07:15 PM
RW8

10.04 - Your player Johnny Thibault is now a member of the national team Canada.

my first guy on the team

Old
04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Bernstein tearing up the league in goals and helping me move into 6th.

Old
04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Bernstein tearing up the league in goals and helping me move into 6th.
Since my switch to developing my youth, I've had 6 or 7 leaders fall out of the top 10s.

Based on the team's performance before and since the switches, I am left wondering if I actually may have had a shot at promoting... still, seeing Westbrook and Ulrich training so high is encouraging. Westbrook's been top trainer in the US at least once.

Old
04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Westbrook's P may not be the best, but he should get to 200+ AI by 22 years old. That's still very good.

Old
04-17-2011, 09:31 AM
tujague

Here's the line-up for Season 37. Yes, this is usually done much earlier in the season. But it couldn't happen this season because of the ridiculous number of injuries. This was my first week with a healthy line-up. Three whole days with a fully healthy line-up all season
(I actually typed this up a week or so ago. I've now had a healthy line-up for four whole days)

The same thing happened last season. I ended up doing this using each individual Line's screens. Which meant three different pics. While I was doing the Q/P/L/Cost for this season, I decided it would be easier to use the Lines from season 35 so I would just need to look at the one pick. I was surprised to see that I've only changed 3 players since then. Three players (Humes, Kalafus & Kronholm) at the cost of 968M That's almost as much as the entire rest of the roster.

I'm very happy with the breakdown of the team. Eight players are +3, and the only one who is -3 will be franchised. That's 9 guys (out of 17) locked up forever. I also have the two +2s who I would love to bump to +3 if the opportunity presented itself. That's one of the reasons why I've kept some of my very good subs on the team. All are in the ballpark as far as AI & exp are concerned. I'm hoping they will be the guys who want to drop loyalty so I can bump the +2s.

Goalies
Marcel Humes = Amazing. Easily the best goalie I'll ever have. My first Canadian since geezer Gary Roberts saved us in our first trip to III.1. I did splurge a bit at 383M, but I knew he was +3. I also screwed up by imagining that I was bidding 200M less than I was because that's how much I would save in free agency. So he really only cost me 183M I like his SCo. Not sure how high I'll need his Pass to be. Goal and Speed will continue at those levels until Goal reaches around 115-120. Don't want to get too close to his max of 144 too soon. (96Q x 150% = an attributes max training)

Vojtech Cerulik = Bargain. Bought when I was filling up my train & sell coffers. Never expected him to be useful. He certainly isn't perfect. His AI is low. Heck, his experience is low for a supposed vet back-up. But I love that +3 I don't even have to think about my goalies for another 4-5 seasons, and then I just need to find a good geezer to back-up Humes.

First Line
--Kronbergs is the star. 300M 'knowing' he was +3. Thank goodness the previous owner wasn't Mallard and was telling the truth about that I was the only bidder. I still can't believe that. This season and the last off-season have been all about the SCo. I want that up to 20 by the time they are 22-23. Getting his SCo to 20, then I might do some strength training. Or Pass. My goal for centers is at least 50 pass and 35 Strength.
--Hruby is a very nice player, but I want to stab him. I know I have a couple of 90s and a 91, but that 89Q is annoying as hell +3 makes it a bit easier. I'm working his SCo up to 15+, then I might get speed to 25 (my goal for winger speed was 50, might be a bit lower since talking to forsbergwannabe). And since he is a long term player with his +3, I might get his pass to 25-30 after that.
--Krasovskiy is upsetting. I spent 220M hoping he was at least +2. He wasn't, but I had a chance to get him there two seasons ago. It would have dropped Mierz Nasty's loyalty, who I was selling later that season. I'm still not sure if I should have done it. It would have been nice to have the option to get him to +3 at some point, but that would have put his final price somewhere around 500M. And I'm not sure if he's a 500M dollar player. If only he was max P...

--Kalafus & Kronholm were purchased within days of each other. I had a string of scouted 17 year olds who ended up being amazing players (96+Q/-1P). I knew I had to revamp my defense, so I went after these two hard hoping one of them would be a +3. Both are +2. Hopefully I get a chance to fix that at some point. I have forced Kronholm into a defensive role. He probably would have been a very good winger. I'm getting his defense up to 40 to make sure he shows as a d-man in the profiles. Then I'll work on his STR/SPD/PAS. For d-men, I want 40 spd and 50 str. Maybe the same for pass or shot.

Second Line
--Stanek (+140M for +3). Ahh, Josef Stanek. What an amazing player for 120M dollars! I was the only bidder again. I did spend another 140M to get him to +3, but that's money very well spent. 260M for a 99/-1 +3 center who reached 200AI at 22 years old. I'm getting his speed to 10 or 15, then I'll add some strength. Love this guy. The Captain.
--Fejdasz (+40-50M for Future Franchise Player). Was a bit of an annoying player when I first bought him. Q/P and AI are all amazing, but that damn -3 loyalty was a deal breaker. I almost didn't want him even if I could get him to -2. I'm trying to limit those guys for this rebuild. Then icko announced Franchise Players. Bingo. Fejdasz goes from a probable train & sell to future stud. For 65M!
--Veski is the weak link on this line. Too many injuries for this guy. At least three last season (missed that many games for Estonian U20) and already three this season. It's killing him. He already had lower AI. I'm not sure what I'll do with him now.

--Streeter. My one good pull in the last 5 seasons. Okay, he's really good I'm still annoyed.
--Klavins (+40M for -2). I was finally able to get him to -2 last season. I was beginning to wonder if that would ever happen. I'll probably keep him around through UFA.

Third Line
These forwards all come from my original rebuild. When I went very cheap. I think the total cost was around 500M, and that included a 200M player and a 40M bonus to get Kettunen to -2. These were the only three who were worth it I'm still not sure if I want to go forward with this line. Or if I want to sell them and buy a whole new group of teenagers for a new top line. I think that would be the smart thing to do, and it was originally the plan, but it would put things back a couple of seasons. I've been waiting for that one great youth pull to kick it off.

Either way, I love the distro on these three guys. That's my goal for the rest of the wingers. Except for Fejdasz who is more of a power forward. He actually leads the team in goals the last 3 seasons. Maybe he should be the blueprint for wingers? Yeah. Maybe have on PF on each line...

--McNally. The only other YP in the line-up. In a rebuild that has been going on for 5 or 6 seasons. Pitiful. He's only survived because he's +3. I hate his -3P.
--Gillette. Bought just because he was an American. I was happy with him as a defensive defenseman until I looked at this picture. His AI is really low. He'll be lucky to reach 200AI by the end of his 23yo season. That's normally not good enough. Looking at those two d-men makes me want to sell this whole line

If I ever get another good youth pull, I'm going to have to blow up this line. I could sell Kettunen, Moudry and Gillette. Maybe McNally too. Veski, Klavins and maybe Fejdasz (as a center?) would replace them on the 3rd. I don't know. One good thing about a crappy youth school is I won't have to think about this for a while

Player Cost: 2.257B
Bonuses: 270M
Total Cost: 2.627 BILLION

I'm surprised by the low Bonus number. And that's including the future 50M that it'll take to Franchise Fejdasz. Maybe I'm missing something. Total cost is also a bit surprising. I expected that to be higher as well. I wonder how my team compares to smetana's? He's spent 4-5B already

If I'm not forced into rebuilding the 3rd line, then I expect to be in III.1 for 2-3 more seasons max (Is that a light at the end of this long dark tunnel!?!?). That probably depends on the competition. If I can promote in two seasons, I'll go for it. Comparing my team to a couple of HFers in II.1 looks good (Snowman & steelcable). They're both in the playoffs last I looked. I think I could compete with that level of team in season 40. I'm not sure what will happen after that. What does it take to get to I.1? And be competitive?

Old
04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Either way, I love the distro on these three guys. That's my goal for the rest of the wingers. Except for Fejdasz who is more of a power forward. He actually leads the team in goals the last 3 seasons. Maybe he should be the blueprint for wingers? Yeah. Maybe have on PF on each line...
It could also be that Fejdasz is the best winger on the team. Sure the two on the 3rd line are roughly equal to him, but he is on the 2nd line and gets more icetime. Then he probably gets PP/PK time too, while the 3rd liners don't. That's probably your reason right there that he leads the team in goals.

Old
04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Hm. Broke my coffers, bought a 93/max-1/-3 winger for 116M. 20 YO, 134 AI and 29 XP.

Also pulled a D-man, 17YO, 92/max-3/-?.

Guess rebuild is looming over the horizon. And 10 games to go and 6 pts below the relegation line is a scary place to be.

Le bleh.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:54 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Wow, fairly important game vs. a team five points behind me and we score the game-winner with three seconds left in regulation.

Had my backup keeper in and he wasn't great, but that's a big three points.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the playoffs, but I have to finish at least sixth to have a shot at getting past the first round.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Raymondo316

Bloody typical i spent aload on what i thought was gonna be my future 1st line winger .....Yet when i check his profile hes listed as defense

So what i was wondering is if i decided to just continue training him as a winger would he train as good as if i just trained him in defense

Last edited by Raymondo316: 04-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old
04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
tujague

Sitting in 7th place right now 8w-3t-1l over the last 3 weeks.

HFBoards is sitting in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 11th places

Quote:
It could also be that Fejdasz is the best winger on the team. Sure the two on the 3rd line are roughly equal to him, but he is on the 2nd line and gets more icetime. Then he probably gets PP/PK time too, while the 3rd liners don't. That's probably your reason right there that he leads the team in goals.
That makes too much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraymondo316 View Post
Bloody typical i spent aload on what i thought was gonna be my future 1st line winger .....Yet when i check his profile hes listed as defense

So what i was wondering is if i decided to just continue training him as a winger would he train as good as if i just trained him in defense
You're okay. That just means he has more defense than offense right now. Once his offense is higher than defense, he will switch to a forward profile. I had the opposite thing with Kronholm, my LD on the top line. More shot than D up until a few days ago.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraymondo316 View Post

What's his distribution and how much is "a load"?

Old
04-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Raymondo316

128mill which is more then i really wanted to spend but ended up in bidding war at last min........big signing for me cos uptill now i was just filling the team up with few 100K players till i got my training upto 100

19 years old
Q89 P82 AI93
+2
Defense 19
Shooting 35
Passing 10
Speed 8
Strength 10
Self Control 6

the bidding was at some stupid time in the morning so silly me just noticed the 35 shooting and thought oh must be forward an didnt think to check till after :S

Last edited by Raymondo316: 04-22-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old
04-22-2011, 11:10 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Both of my top defenseman started out with forward profiles. The 19 defense is unfortunate, but if you want him as a forward just train offense and his profile will switch when it gets over defense.

Old
04-23-2011, 02:03 AM
NHL33*

Pity about the high D. Well, if you can live with it you can have a "defensively responsible forward", in theory at least. Though, if you need a defenseman, then that's an ideal distribution -- it's good to have shooting with defensemen.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
HFBoards is sitting in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 11th places
Whoever comes in 6th in our league (only the three of us in 6th, 7th, and 8th) has a shot to, if they are lucky, make it to the second round of the playoffs. 7th and 8th places are first round losses, imo.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Whoever comes in 6th in our league (only the three of us in 6th, 7th, and 8th) has a shot to, if they are lucky, make it to the second round of the playoffs. 7th and 8th places are first round losses, imo.
Fritos are more vulnerable than they appear. In the season I promoted, I upset them in the playoffs in 2 straight even though I tried to sandbag game 2.

Closed Thread