HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Third serious try at the Cup?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
droid56

vCash: 500
Third serious try at the Cup?

I have watched the Canucks for all of their 40 years, so I guess I am qualified to ask the question as to whether this third serious try at the Cup will be more effective than the first 2 tries.

In 1982, the Canucks were 3 games under a .500 winning percentage, and they got in a really awesome groove, until they met a very powerful team, the New York Islanders, who were one of the great teams ever, and the Canucks were not going to defeat them. No way, Jose!

And then in 1994, the Canucks had a very good team, including Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure and Kurt.

They lost in the seventh game, but just by a little bit.

This year's Canucks are different to the 2 earlier teams in that they dominated the nhl in goals for and goals against. And they finished with the most points overall.

So, even though the Canucks haven't made it to the Stanley Cup finals, I am more optimistic in this third series even though the other 2 series led to the SCF.

They might not win it, but this third time they have the best chance.

The first time they had no chance against the dynasty Islanders.

The second time, they came real close, but fell just short.

This third chance at the big prize is their best chance of the three. Just my humble opinion.

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
They have to make it to the Finals first... I can see where you're coming from though with this thread.

This team has what it takes to win it all, we just need a bit of luck on our side.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:17 AM
BlendIcier

The franchise works on 8 year cycles. 2002 or 2003 should have been a run by the West Coast Express.

BlendIcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
And then in 1994, the Canucks had a very good team, including Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure and Kurt.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Wisp

Should have, effed it up for themselves. And us.

I dunno, I really hope this team can do it. I think they really can. I'm excited because if they succeed, they'll transform the fanbase into something really special...

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:32 AM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
I'll admit... I laughed.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Dado

vCash:
No idea how it will turn out. From this point on, it's basically a crap shoot.

Here's hoping!

Old
05-11-2011, 02:00 AM
droid56

Is it really a crap shoot?

I don't believe that is true.

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Let's be honest.

San Jose, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Boston. All very good teams. Who do you like our chances with? Can we safely assume the Sedins will produce against them?

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:26 AM
goss19

This is a more serious "try" than the previous two times considering the Canucks were Cinderella underdog teams in '82 and '94.

goss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Let's be honest.

San Jose, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Boston. All very good teams. Who do you like our chances with? Can we safely assume the Sedins will produce against them?
I don't know why anyone would assume Henrik is going to be producing anything other than turnovers (and I don't mean cherry ones) when he's clearly playing injured. If a couple days off are enough to put him right, then maybe, but it seems like wishful thinking.

Daniel, yeah. He'll do well.

I like our chances against Tampa Bay. The rest of them scare the willies out of me.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Kurt MickLeen

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Boston scares me. They are too powerful up front and TT is an amazing goalie. I've said it since the regular season, the team I don't want to play is Boston. I sure hope Tampa can pull off an upset, as I believe we match up well against them.

Both San Jose and Detroit seem beatable. I've watched every game during the series, and I haven't been overly impressed. If we can bring the same element we did vs. Chicago and games 1,2,3,6, & 7 we will win that series. The Sedins will have to produce, which I believe they will when facing a more open style of play. Edler will also be key, we need him to wake up and take his physical game up a notch. Kesler needs to just keep doing what he's doing, haha. If those 3 things happen we'll be fine. I have no doubt Luongo will have an amazing series vs. either team.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Shareefruck

I'm going to remain content and skeptical about our chances to go any further for the sake of my nerves.

I'd like to see what happens if we tried

Sedin - Kesler - Burrows (Daniel's being held back by Henrik-- I want to see what he can actually do)
Raymond - Sedin - Higgins (Raymond and Higgins are both fast two-way players who carry the puck-- Henrik can't be the puck carrier if he's going to play like this)
Tambellini - Lapierre - Hansen (don't expect Tambellini to do much here, but I doubt he'd slow down momentum)
Torres/Glass - Hodgson - Oreskovich (used sparingly)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Ballard/Alberts - Salo
(doesn't look like it's going to happen, but goddammit, what the hell?)

Luongo
Schneider

I'm not a huge fan of Tambellini moving up, but I hate Torres' play.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 05-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

"Third times a charm" or "bad things happen in threes"?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:49 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Boston doesn't scare me. They were one bounce away from spending the rest of the playoff season golfing. I like Montreal but they aren't a top tier team. Mind you people may say the same thing about the Canucks and Chicago but I think most are in agreement that Chicago's talent far exceeded its 8th place positioning.

Tampa scares me more than Boston. They seem to be able to score at will and Roloson appears to have enough left in the tank to be a diffrence maker.

Of course we have to get past either SJ or Detroit which will be the real challenege in my opinion.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Jarko2004

The Canucks had less chance of winning the cup in '82 than the LA Kings did this year. It was a fun run against other mediocre teams, but nobody predicted a different Finals result.

There was no way the Canucks were going to win game 7 in '94 against Gary Bettman and a US team. Give the Rangers 1st period powerplays and a lead, then give the Canucks their's in the 3rd when all the Rangers have to do is clutch and grab and punch for 20 minutes with zero chance of going 2 men short in an important playoff game in that era. End result, looks like an evenly called game in the boxscore. NOT!

Has anything changed in the NHL in the last 20 years when a Canadian team meets an American team. I've never seen it.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
Has anything changed in the NHL in the last 20 years when a Canadian team meets an American team. I've never seen it.
Montreal vs L.A. 1993.

I believe the NHL desperately wanted the Kings to win the cup.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
skg

Teams with speed can expose Boston. Lucic was invisible against Montreal because he couldn't skate with them. With Bergeron gone likely for the rest of the playoffs, they're down to Krejci as their only offensive center. Frankly, I don't see them getting by TB.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:29 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Boston doesn't scare me. They were one bounce away from spending the rest of the playoff season golfing. I like Montreal but they aren't a top tier team. Mind you people may say the same thing about the Canucks and Chicago but I think most are in agreement that Chicago's talent far exceeded its 8th place positioning.

Tampa scares me more than Boston. They seem to be able to score at will and Roloson appears to have enough left in the tank to be a diffrence maker.

Of course we have to get past either SJ or Detroit which will be the real challenege in my opinion.
Don't forget that Tampa was also on the brink of elimination against a Crosby + Malkin-less Penguins team. They both have their weaknesses (as do the Canucks, Wings, and Sharks)

That said, they've won 7 straight in the playoffs. Both Tampa and Boston would worry me for different reasons.

This Boston/Tampa series will go a long way in defining each team because right now it's hard to gauge seeing as they each played teams that just kind of rolled over.

KDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Montreal vs L.A. 1993.

I believe the NHL desperately wanted the Kings to win the cup.
bettman had only been commissioner for a few months then. i don't remember it seeming rigged, but i was twelve. maybe it took bettman a year to get his goons in order?

there are two schools of thought with '94. you have the messier position that the canucks were a team that went on a cinderella run "on the backs of pavel bure and a hot goalie," or the other side where a very strong team that had won their division the two previous years underachieved in the regular season and everyone forgot about them, then they turned it on midway through the first round. i don't think the '94 team was as strong or as much of an on-paper favourite as this year's team, but my thinking is much closer to the second option than the first.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:45 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
Is it really a crap shoot?

I don't believe that is true.
Yeah it is. Otherwise the best team would win every year.

05-11-2011, 11:00 PM
JamesBond*

1982 was not serious.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
MearnsRea

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Teams with speed can expose Boston. Lucic was invisible against Montreal because he couldn't skate with them. With Bergeron gone likely for the rest of the playoffs, they're down to Krejci as their only offensive center. Frankly, I don't see them getting by TB.
I (biasedly) beg to differ. I think that Tyler Seguin can play well as an offensive center. He's no replacement for Bergeron, but he may suffice.

That said, Boston's shoddy power play, lack of discipline, and Roli the Goalie may add up to be insurmountable hurdles.

MearnsRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
1982 was not serious.
Yeah, not even close. It was one of the biggest flukes in the history of pro sports.

Somehow, despite having a losing record, we faced teams worse than us in each of the first 3 rounds and had home-ice advantage in all of them. You could watch this league for another 100 years and that sort of freak occurance won't happen again.

Basically, that year the Wales was ridiculously stronger than the Campbell conference, then the two best teams in the Campbell (Edmonton and Minnesota) were knocked out in surprise first-round upsets, and we somehow floated along by beating 3 straight garbage teams.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote