HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 AM
  #301
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Good thing I didn't get it from Hockeybuzz then.

I know Tessier blogs for them, but this was off of his twitter, as opposed to off the hockeybuzz site.

E4
Because everyone knows twitter is never used to spread rumous.

serge2k is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:25 AM
  #302
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,951
vCash: 500
Hamhuis is going to have a hard time avoiding concussions in the future. He's a smallish lean guy for an NHL defenceman, he plays against a lot of big strong forwards, he plays lots of minutes, and now that he's had a few it becomes easier to get another. I'm worried about his future.

Right now everything seems ok but once Salo goes down, and it will happen we all know it, things change big time. He's an amazing player and just like the past few years losing him usually means we lose the series. Who knows how Edler will be coming off back surgery, who knows when Alberts will be ready and even if he is he's a bottom pair guy and won't replace Hamhuis or Edler or Salo. A whole bunch of question marks right now and we haven't even started the 2 month war yet.


We aren't winning a cup without Hamhuis, Edler, and Malhotra. Even if Hamhuis comes back odds are he takes some big hits in the playoffs, same goes for Edler and his back. It is never too early to panic when it comes to our defense and our history of losing playoff rounds because of injuries back there.

NugentHopkinsfan is online now  
Old
03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
  #303
goalie311
Registered User
 
goalie311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
I feel the Canucks use this time at the end of the season to rest Hamhuis (plus Samuelsson, Glass, etc) - they have a comfortable lead heading into the homestretch, and have enough depth to rely on.
Come game 1 of the playoffs, you will see a rested, stacked Canucks roster ready to go (save for Malhotra).

goalie311 is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
  #304
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
I'm gonna make a more optimistic prediction and suggest Hamhuis will be back for game 1 of the playoffs. The whole incident didn't look all that bad to be, but regardless of the severity you knew he was going to be taken out of the game as there's no point in risking him taking another hard hit and guaranteeing he's out for the season.

Again, just a guess, but I think the "concussion" was not that severe but he will e held out until playoffs just to avoid the whole secondary concussion scenario. We all saw what happened to Mitchell last year, and Crosby this year, if in doubt let the guy rest especially when we don't need him right now.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
  #305
The Big Foot
Registered User
 
The Big Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Bhutan
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
Maybe when Malhotra comes back he'll wear Kareem goggles.

The Big Foot is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
  #306
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 6,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Maybe when Malhotra comes back he'll wear Kareem goggles.
Or Robocop's helmet.

Wilch is online now  
Old
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
  #307
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,060
vCash: 500
Probably why they instituted the call-up limit rule. Canucks should be resting about 1/2 the roster considering the luck they've had this year.

Losing Malhotra is huge. Not so much that we can't win without him, just such an important role in the playoffs that will have to be filled with lesser players. Not having BOTH Hamhuis and Edler would be pretty crippling. Would be pretty awful to have this kind of season, and all this build-up, only to have injuries bring us down.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
  #308
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Probably why they instituted the call-up limit rule. Canucks should be resting about 1/2 the roster considering the luck they've had this year.

Losing Malhotra is huge. Not so much that we can't win without him, just such an important role in the playoffs that will have to be filled with lesser players. Not having BOTH Hamhuis and Edler would be pretty crippling. Would be pretty awful to have this kind of season, and all this build-up, only to have injuries bring us down.
Well we all know that Edler will be back - just don't know when during the post-season.

Barney Gumble is online now  
Old
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
  #309
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Because everyone knows twitter is never used to spread rumous.
Because everyone knows TSN is never used to spread rumors.

Because everybody knows Pratt is never used to spread rumors.

Because everybody knows the Province is never used to spread rumors.

The medium is irrelevant...

 
Old
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
  #310
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
I think that it's time that Hamhuis consider the M11 helmet. I'm not sure if there's any conclusive evidence that it helps reduce concussions, but considering the alternative, I don't see why he shouldn't try it.

Bourdon is online now  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
  #311
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well we all know that Edler will be back - just don't know when during the post-season.
He's coming off back surgery into the heat of playoff hockey. The chance of re-aggrivation will be high. Personally I won't count on Edler being the Edler from the start of the season until I see it.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
  #312
Libor Polasek
Registered User
 
Libor Polasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He's coming off back surgery into the heat of playoff hockey. The chance of re-aggrivation will be high. Personally I won't count on Edler being the Edler from the start of the season until I see it.
I'd be the most worried about a forward running Edler in the corner when going after the puck. Unless he's 100 percent, I wouldn't want to risk him in the first round. (Please Hockey Gods, get us out of the first round....)

Libor Polasek is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
  #313
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'm gonna make a more optimistic prediction and suggest Hamhuis will be back for game 1 of the playoffs. The whole incident didn't look all that bad to be, but regardless of the severity you knew he was going to be taken out of the game as there's no point in risking him taking another hard hit and guaranteeing he's out for the season.

Again, just a guess, but I think the "concussion" was not that severe but he will e held out until playoffs just to avoid the whole secondary concussion scenario. We all saw what happened to Mitchell last year, and Crosby this year, if in doubt let the guy rest especially when we don't need him right now.
The greatest concern is what is known as "second impact syndrome":
Second Impact Syndrome – The first concussion is bad enough. But one often overlooked aspect of concussions is second impact syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first—usually within a short period of time (hours, days, or weeks)—can slow recovery or increase the likelihood of having long-term problems. In rare cases, repeat concussions can result in brain swelling, permanent brain damage, and even death. This more serious condition is called second impact syndrome.”

Second impact syndrome is a special concern for highly committed athletes who want to play very soon after sustaining a concussion. This is where the coach has to step up and do the right thing. The CDC advises, “Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions. Remind your athletes: ‘It’s better to miss one game than the whole season.’”
http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...m-concussions/

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
  #314
KDizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The greatest concern is what is known as "second impact syndrome":
Second Impact Syndrome – The first concussion is bad enough. But one often overlooked aspect of concussions is second impact syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first—usually within a short period of time (hours, days, or weeks)—can slow recovery or increase the likelihood of having long-term problems. In rare cases, repeat concussions can result in brain swelling, permanent brain damage, and even death. This more serious condition is called second impact syndrome.”

Second impact syndrome is a special concern for highly committed athletes who want to play very soon after sustaining a concussion. This is where the coach has to step up and do the right thing. The CDC advises, “Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions. Remind your athletes: ‘It’s better to miss one game than the whole season.’”
http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...m-concussions/
In the case of Crosby and Mitchell, the 2nd hit happened after they failed to diagnose the 1st hit as a concussion.

With Hamhuis, they took precaution before he was ready to play again after the Getzlaf hit, so that leads me to believe the "Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions" portion of it was fulfilled.

While a repeat concussion (especially his 4th career one) is never a good thing, I don't think it'll be as bad as Mitchell's concussion.

KDizzle is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
  #315
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The greatest concern is what is known as "second impact syndrome":
Second Impact Syndrome – The first concussion is bad enough. But one often overlooked aspect of concussions is second impact syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first—usually within a short period of time (hours, days, or weeks)—can slow recovery or increase the likelihood of having long-term problems. In rare cases, repeat concussions can result in brain swelling, permanent brain damage, and even death. This more serious condition is called second impact syndrome.”

Second impact syndrome is a special concern for highly committed athletes who want to play very soon after sustaining a concussion. This is where the coach has to step up and do the right thing. The CDC advises, “Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions. Remind your athletes: ‘It’s better to miss one game than the whole season.’”
http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...m-concussions/
though in this case, SIS would not apply given his last concussion was in early Feb, no? It's been almost 2 months.

JamesBond* is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
  #316
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
In the case of Crosby and Mitchell, the 2nd hit happened after they failed to diagnose the 1st hit as a concussion.

With Hamhuis, they took precaution before he was ready to play again after the Getzlaf hit, so that leads me to believe the "Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions" portion of it was fulfilled.

While a repeat concussion (especially his 4th career one) is never a good thing, I don't think it'll be as bad as Mitchell's concussion.
That's what I am thinking now too. I almost wonder if they are electing just to keep him out at this point in case, for some unseen reason, he develops concussion symptoms in a few days. Why bother playing him now anyway? Nothing to play for at this point.

JamesBond* is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  #317
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,745
vCash: 500
With all these short term injuries, this team would be a mess right now if Malhotra had gone down a game or two later (and thus not qualified for LTIR exemption). Bieksa would likely be stuck on LTIR to cover Oreskovich and Bolduc's cap hits and now with Hamhuis down we'd have likely seen Tanev and Sauve in the lineup with a healthy Bieksa sitting on the sidelines until the playoffs.

opendoor is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
  #318
Stonz
Registered User
 
Stonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
@benkuzma - Hamhuis (concussion) watching #Canucks practice. Tanev back in with Ballard and Bieksa with Rome.

The fact that he hasn't been sent home, and he's not confining himself to a dark room etc. could be interpreted as somewhat encouraging.

Stonz is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
  #319
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
well, the team is on the road so there's probably not a lot to do other than hang out with the team.

But if it was bad surely they would put him on a plane home.

My hope is that they're being extra cautious, because they can be. Why take any risk when they have the lead that they do? It gives Tanev the opportunity for a couple more NHL games, which isn't a bad thing either.

Ernie is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
  #320
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
well, the team is on the road so there's probably not a lot to do other than hang out with the team.

But if it was bad surely they would put him on a plane home.
Actually I think flying after getting a concussion is generally regarded as a bad idea since it may exacerbate swelling, etc... so they probably wouldn't have flown him home either way. But yeah, the fact that he's out watching practice is probably encouraging. I don't think Willie Mitchell was even able to do that when he had all the PCS issues last year.

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
  #321
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
@benkuzma - Hamhuis (concussion) watching #Canucks practice. Tanev back in with Ballard and Bieksa with Rome.

The fact that he hasn't been sent home, and he's not confining himself to a dark room etc. could be interpreted as somewhat encouraging.
Very good to hear. Also glad to see Ballard and Tanev together. Bieksa and Rome is my worst Canucks nightmare. I predict them logging at least 35 minutes each.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
  #322
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 38,560
vCash: 500
Hey does anyone want to make a new Injury thread that they can keep updated in the OP, since the guy who made this thread is banned?

__________________
parabola is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
  #323
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Very good to hear. Also glad to see Ballard and Tanev together. Bieksa and Rome is my worst Canucks nightmare. I predict them logging at least 35 minutes each.
The question there is which one needs to be looked after in the eyes of AV, Bieksa or Rome?

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
  #324
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
@benkuzma - Hamhuis (concussion) watching #Canucks practice. Tanev back in with Ballard and Bieksa with Rome.

The fact that he hasn't been sent home, and he's not confining himself to a dark room etc. could be interpreted as somewhat encouraging.
Very good news; I'd imagine he'd be sent home or at least not be at the rink if it was season threatening (bright lights, etc). We still haven't had an update on his condition, and though a bunch of media sources are saying 'concussion' all we have is AV's quote that they're going to see how he is according to the protocol. I think it's more caution then anything else...no reason to risk Hamhuis.

We can make due with Tanev during the interim, especially with Ballard's increasingly impressive play.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
  #325
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,052
vCash: 500
Columbus to Nashville is a much, much shorter flight. But, yeah, encouraging news.

xtr3m is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.