HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 AM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Good thing I didn't get it from Hockeybuzz then.

I know Tessier blogs for them, but this was off of his twitter, as opposed to off the hockeybuzz site.

E4
Because everyone knows twitter is never used to spread rumous.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:25 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Hamhuis is going to have a hard time avoiding concussions in the future. He's a smallish lean guy for an NHL defenceman, he plays against a lot of big strong forwards, he plays lots of minutes, and now that he's had a few it becomes easier to get another. I'm worried about his future.

Right now everything seems ok but once Salo goes down, and it will happen we all know it, things change big time. He's an amazing player and just like the past few years losing him usually means we lose the series. Who knows how Edler will be coming off back surgery, who knows when Alberts will be ready and even if he is he's a bottom pair guy and won't replace Hamhuis or Edler or Salo. A whole bunch of question marks right now and we haven't even started the 2 month war yet.

We aren't winning a cup without Hamhuis, Edler, and Malhotra. Even if Hamhuis comes back odds are he takes some big hits in the playoffs, same goes for Edler and his back. It is never too early to panic when it comes to our defense and our history of losing playoff rounds because of injuries back there.

Old
03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
goalie311

I feel the Canucks use this time at the end of the season to rest Hamhuis (plus Samuelsson, Glass, etc) - they have a comfortable lead heading into the homestretch, and have enough depth to rely on.
Come game 1 of the playoffs, you will see a rested, stacked Canucks roster ready to go (save for Malhotra).

Old
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'm gonna make a more optimistic prediction and suggest Hamhuis will be back for game 1 of the playoffs. The whole incident didn't look all that bad to be, but regardless of the severity you knew he was going to be taken out of the game as there's no point in risking him taking another hard hit and guaranteeing he's out for the season.

Again, just a guess, but I think the "concussion" was not that severe but he will e held out until playoffs just to avoid the whole secondary concussion scenario. We all saw what happened to Mitchell last year, and Crosby this year, if in doubt let the guy rest especially when we don't need him right now.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
The Big Foot

Maybe when Malhotra comes back he'll wear Kareem goggles.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Maybe when Malhotra comes back he'll wear Kareem goggles.
Or Robocop's helmet.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Reign Nateo

Probably why they instituted the call-up limit rule. Canucks should be resting about 1/2 the roster considering the luck they've had this year.

Losing Malhotra is huge. Not so much that we can't win without him, just such an important role in the playoffs that will have to be filled with lesser players. Not having BOTH Hamhuis and Edler would be pretty crippling. Would be pretty awful to have this kind of season, and all this build-up, only to have injuries bring us down.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Probably why they instituted the call-up limit rule. Canucks should be resting about 1/2 the roster considering the luck they've had this year.

Losing Malhotra is huge. Not so much that we can't win without him, just such an important role in the playoffs that will have to be filled with lesser players. Not having BOTH Hamhuis and Edler would be pretty crippling. Would be pretty awful to have this kind of season, and all this build-up, only to have injuries bring us down.
Well we all know that Edler will be back - just don't know when during the post-season.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Because everyone knows twitter is never used to spread rumous.
Because everyone knows TSN is never used to spread rumors.

Because everybody knows Pratt is never used to spread rumors.

Because everybody knows the Province is never used to spread rumors.

The medium is irrelevant...

Old
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Bourdon

I think that it's time that Hamhuis consider the M11 helmet. I'm not sure if there's any conclusive evidence that it helps reduce concussions, but considering the alternative, I don't see why he shouldn't try it.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well we all know that Edler will be back - just don't know when during the post-season.
He's coming off back surgery into the heat of playoff hockey. The chance of re-aggrivation will be high. Personally I won't count on Edler being the Edler from the start of the season until I see it.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Libor Polasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He's coming off back surgery into the heat of playoff hockey. The chance of re-aggrivation will be high. Personally I won't count on Edler being the Edler from the start of the season until I see it.
I'd be the most worried about a forward running Edler in the corner when going after the puck. Unless he's 100 percent, I wouldn't want to risk him in the first round. (Please Hockey Gods, get us out of the first round....)

Old
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'm gonna make a more optimistic prediction and suggest Hamhuis will be back for game 1 of the playoffs. The whole incident didn't look all that bad to be, but regardless of the severity you knew he was going to be taken out of the game as there's no point in risking him taking another hard hit and guaranteeing he's out for the season.

Again, just a guess, but I think the "concussion" was not that severe but he will e held out until playoffs just to avoid the whole secondary concussion scenario. We all saw what happened to Mitchell last year, and Crosby this year, if in doubt let the guy rest especially when we don't need him right now.
The greatest concern is what is known as "second impact syndrome":
Second Impact Syndrome – The first concussion is bad enough. But one often overlooked aspect of concussions is second impact syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first—usually within a short period of time (hours, days, or weeks)—can slow recovery or increase the likelihood of having long-term problems. In rare cases, repeat concussions can result in brain swelling, permanent brain damage, and even death. This more serious condition is called second impact syndrome.”

Second impact syndrome is a special concern for highly committed athletes who want to play very soon after sustaining a concussion. This is where the coach has to step up and do the right thing. The CDC advises, “Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions. Remind your athletes: ‘It’s better to miss one game than the whole season.’”
http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...m-concussions/

Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Second Impact Syndrome – The first concussion is bad enough. But one often overlooked aspect of concussions is second impact syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first—usually within a short period of time (hours, days, or weeks)—can slow recovery or increase the likelihood of having long-term problems. In rare cases, repeat concussions can result in brain swelling, permanent brain damage, and even death. This more serious condition is called second impact syndrome.”

Second impact syndrome is a special concern for highly committed athletes who want to play very soon after sustaining a concussion. This is where the coach has to step up and do the right thing. The CDC advises, “Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions. Remind your athletes: ‘It’s better to miss one game than the whole season.’”
In the case of Crosby and Mitchell, the 2nd hit happened after they failed to diagnose the 1st hit as a concussion.

With Hamhuis, they took precaution before he was ready to play again after the Getzlaf hit, so that leads me to believe the "Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions" portion of it was fulfilled.

While a repeat concussion (especially his 4th career one) is never a good thing, I don't think it'll be as bad as Mitchell's concussion.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

though in this case, SIS would not apply given his last concussion was in early Feb, no? It's been almost 2 months.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
In the case of Crosby and Mitchell, the 2nd hit happened after they failed to diagnose the 1st hit as a concussion.

With Hamhuis, they took precaution before he was ready to play again after the Getzlaf hit, so that leads me to believe the "Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions" portion of it was fulfilled.

While a repeat concussion (especially his 4th career one) is never a good thing, I don't think it'll be as bad as Mitchell's concussion.
That's what I am thinking now too. I almost wonder if they are electing just to keep him out at this point in case, for some unseen reason, he develops concussion symptoms in a few days. Why bother playing him now anyway? Nothing to play for at this point.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
opendoor

With all these short term injuries, this team would be a mess right now if Malhotra had gone down a game or two later (and thus not qualified for LTIR exemption). Bieksa would likely be stuck on LTIR to cover Oreskovich and Bolduc's cap hits and now with Hamhuis down we'd have likely seen Tanev and Sauve in the lineup with a healthy Bieksa sitting on the sidelines until the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Stonz

@benkuzma - Hamhuis (concussion) watching #Canucks practice. Tanev back in with Ballard and Bieksa with Rome.

The fact that he hasn't been sent home, and he's not confining himself to a dark room etc. could be interpreted as somewhat encouraging.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Ernie

well, the team is on the road so there's probably not a lot to do other than hang out with the team.

But if it was bad surely they would put him on a plane home.

My hope is that they're being extra cautious, because they can be. Why take any risk when they have the lead that they do? It gives Tanev the opportunity for a couple more NHL games, which isn't a bad thing either.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
well, the team is on the road so there's probably not a lot to do other than hang out with the team.

But if it was bad surely they would put him on a plane home.
Actually I think flying after getting a concussion is generally regarded as a bad idea since it may exacerbate swelling, etc... so they probably wouldn't have flown him home either way. But yeah, the fact that he's out watching practice is probably encouraging. I don't think Willie Mitchell was even able to do that when he had all the PCS issues last year.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
@benkuzma - Hamhuis (concussion) watching #Canucks practice. Tanev back in with Ballard and Bieksa with Rome.

The fact that he hasn't been sent home, and he's not confining himself to a dark room etc. could be interpreted as somewhat encouraging.
Very good to hear. Also glad to see Ballard and Tanev together. Bieksa and Rome is my worst Canucks nightmare. I predict them logging at least 35 minutes each.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

Hey does anyone want to make a new Injury thread that they can keep updated in the OP, since the guy who made this thread is banned?

03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Very good to hear. Also glad to see Ballard and Tanev together. Bieksa and Rome is my worst Canucks nightmare. I predict them logging at least 35 minutes each.
The question there is which one needs to be looked after in the eyes of AV, Bieksa or Rome?

Old
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post

Very good news; I'd imagine he'd be sent home or at least not be at the rink if it was season threatening (bright lights, etc). We still haven't had an update on his condition, and though a bunch of media sources are saying 'concussion' all we have is AV's quote that they're going to see how he is according to the protocol. I think it's more caution then anything else...no reason to risk Hamhuis.

We can make due with Tanev during the interim, especially with Ballard's increasingly impressive play.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
xtr3m

Columbus to Nashville is a much, much shorter flight. But, yeah, encouraging news.

Closed Thread