HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Samuelsson back at practice; Glass still skating by himself (what is wrong with this guy anyways). -Team 1040

EDIT: Hammer update - "Hamhuis feeling better, still with team; needs to pass all concussion protocol before returning."

Old
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
monster_bertuzzi

For the love of god, shut Hamhuis down until the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
From AV: Hamhuis says he's feeling better today, but they will follow thru with the concussion protocol.
2 minutes ago

Old
03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
From AV: Hamhuis says he's feeling better today, but they will follow thru with the concussion protocol.
2 minutes ago
Even if he says he wanted to play tommorow, shut him down.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Kid_Roll

Doesn't Glass have hurt ribs? I know it's an AV cliche, but that is probably a "managing the pain" type injury, and at this point in the season, no need to rush him back in the lineup.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Even if he says he wanted to play tommorow, shut him down.
Agreed. Sit him for the rest of the regular season and bring him back for Game 1. No need to risk him getting seriously injured.

03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
In the case of Crosby and Mitchell, the 2nd hit happened after they failed to diagnose the 1st hit as a concussion.

With Hamhuis, they took precaution before he was ready to play again after the Getzlaf hit, so that leads me to believe the "Keep athletes with known or suspected concussions from play until they have been evaluated and given permission to return to play by a health care professional with experience in evaluating concussions" portion of it was fulfilled.

While a repeat concussion (especially his 4th career one) is never a good thing, I don't think it'll be as bad as Mitchell's concussion.
As well as second impact syndrome repeat concussions are also an issue. Once you have suffered one your chances of suffering another with more severe symptoms are greatly increased according to Dr. Karen Johnston. Dr. Karen Johnston is considered the NHL concussion guru and is a neurosurgeon and the director of the Sports Concussion Clinic at Toronto Rehab, said the study highlights the importance of educating parents and physicians that "a concussion is a brain injury each and every time." But she does not think calling a concussion a "mild traumatic brain injury" will help. In fact, she says the word "mild" could be misleading.

Toronto neurosurgeon Dr. Charles Tator agrees. "Some of us prefer 'concussion' rather than 'mild traumatic brain injury,' especially when we're speaking to the public, because that's a whole mouthful and the term 'mild' is incorrect because we now know that repeated concussions are causing permanent brain damage," he says.

And multiple concussions have long term effects as well. A University of North Carolina study reported in 2005 that retired NFL players faced a 37 per cent higher risk of Alzheimer's than similarly aged U.S. males. It also found repeated concussions significantly raised the chance they'd suffer dementias such as mild cognitive impairment later in life.

Former NHL enforcer Stu Grimson now a lawyer whose career ended in 2002 because of post-concussion syndrome, believes that any study of retired NHLers won't vary a lot from what's been seen in the NFL. He bases his opinion on what he's read and what he's seen others go through in similar circumstances.

"Here's the one thing the docs will tell you, too, is my generation of athletes will be the ones to more accurately tell the tale of what the effects are later in life for somebody that suffers significant head trauma or even insignificant but repeated head trauma."

In December 2007 the Toronto Star did an in-depth series on concussions with a partial list of NHLers who had their careers ended:
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/287833

The Star found at least 30 players whose careers were ended by concussion or in large part due to concussion since 1996, when the issue was given more attention after the early retirement of Brett Lindros.

However Colin Campbell disagrees with the figures and minimized the problem at the time:

"Some are legitimate," said Campbell. "I think some you might find aren't legitimate. ... I think there's a small percentage, not a great percentage, of players who use it as an excuse, `Oh yeah, I've got a concussion.' They can milk it. It's a hard thing to really say that you haven't, you know, if you're trying to get some extra insurance money out of it to get paid an extra year or something."
I think Campbell took a few too many shots to the coconut during his career.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
TEAM1040 Dan Hamhuis is feeling better today and is still with the team. No word on when he might return as he still needs to pass concussion tests.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Jobal

Colin Campbell is just an embarrassing human being.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
topheavyhookjaw

From Steve Nash's twitter

@SteveNash I need my brother in law, Manny Malhotra of the Vancouver Canucks, to have a successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post

@SteveNash I need my brother in law, Manny Malhotra of the Vancouver Canucks, to have a successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision.
Geez, is that a legit account? Talk about terrifying, one surgery to determine your future.

As for Hamhuis, I have faith in the Canucks to do the right thing. They were extremely cautious with his first concussion and I expect the same on this one.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:

Its a real account.
Scary and sad. His nhl days are done, thats for sure.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Geez, is that a legit account?
Yes

Good luck, Manny!

Old
03-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Mike Gillis: "Who the **** forgot to muzzle Steve Nash?"

Old
03-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Ahahaha, the Tweet made Team1040. I love newsgathering in the social networking age.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:02 PM
ItWasTheCat

vCash: 73
Quote:

wow. scary! but given the technology, surgical equipment and knowledge of today I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. If he doesn't end up back with the team, I hope he can at least make a full or close to full recovery for his private life.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Its a real account.
Not necessarily true. If they save his eye and vision and he gets his vision back to even close to 20/20, I'm sure he'll be fine. Although this is a very very delicate procedure.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
rye&ginger

Steve is family. Manny can deal with him, its not the Canucks' problem.

Hopefully that goes well for Manny.

I dont think we should assume this means his hockey career is done, we cant assume anything from a well wishing tweet.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

I think Campbell took a few too many shots to the coconut during his career.
I don't.

It's a perfectly legitimate position to take. When big money is involved, it's pretty easy for a player to just claim that he gets bad headaches when he works out.

Like I said before, I have nothing to base that on, but to suggest that this is never done, or completely implausible, is outrageous.

Sounds like Campbell is referring directly to Steve Moore? Or am I wrong?

Old
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
rban*

SO sad that this happened to Malhotra. Best East Indian hockey player by far, so much better than Kadri whom they rave about in the nutcase idiocy of Leafs La-la Land.

Manny needs to overcome this, he really does.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Its a real account.
Why? The post refers to Nash hoping that he vision is saved. Assuming it is......it's possible he plays again, no?

Old
03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Why? The post refers to Nash hoping that he vision is saved. Assuming it is......it's possible he plays again, no?
If it needs to be "saved," chances are it won't be back 100%. Still, hoping for the best.

He was spotted on a plane to NJ. Perhaps there's a good eye centre.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
SO sad that this happened to Malhotra. Best East Indian hockey player by far, so much better than Kadri whom they rave about in the nutcase idiocy of Leafs La-la Land.
Kadri's of Lebanese descent, not Indian.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Anodyne

Just wish Manny the best for tomorrow.

Good-ish news about Hamhuis.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Bleach Clean

What percentage of vision could Manny possibly have in that eye? It looks bleak. Even if he were to get some vision back in that eye, would it be enough to get his quality of life back? Or a career? Not good news at all.

Closed Thread