HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Though it might be telling that Malhotra and the Canucks are being so quiet about everything. It is sort of strange. I mean, secret surgery, "no comments" from everyone - that in itself leads me to believe that the injury is so severe that there is little hope of playing hockey again.

Note too that Nash also tweets that he hopes they can save the eye - as if that is a question still at this point.

All that being said, it's encouraging that someone is at least talking about him regaining vision.
What were you expecting? Gillis to give daily updates about Malhotra? For what purpose? He's not coming back this year.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
blakeprice1040 Blake Price
I agree with all who don't care what Canucks think about Nash's tweet, but we know how sensitive they are to info. Bee in bonnet I'm sure
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mattsekeres Matthew Sekeres
@blakeprice1040 Doesn't matter if Canucks are OK with it. Free country, free press, freedom of Twitter.
2 hours ago

BotchonCanucks Jason Botchford
Thanks for keeping us updated RT @SteveNash Need my bro-in-law Malhotra to have successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision
2 hours ago

I wonder if the Canucks are ok with Steve Nash releasing info about Malhotra's surgery tomorrow. Especially the part about "saving his eye"
2 hours ago

SteveNash Steve Nash
I need my brother in law, Manny Malhotra of the Vancouver Canucks, to have a successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision.
2 hours ago

Old
03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
VanEric

They're sensitive about information that impacts the ongoing operations of the team. Malhotra's situation is different and really its up to him how much he wants to share about his current condition.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
What were you expecting? Gillis to give daily updates about Malhotra? For what purpose? He's not coming back this year.
Sorry, yes. You are completely correct. When a player is injured it's completely standard for him to not talk to the media, for the team to issue terse "no comments," for the player to be having secret surgery.

Cmon man.....this is slightly odd.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:44 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I agree with all who don't care what Canucks think about Nash's tweet, but we know how sensitive they are to info. Bee in bonnet I'm sure
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mattsekeres Matthew Sekeres
@blakeprice1040 Doesn't matter if Canucks are OK with it. Free country, free press, freedom of Twitter.
2 hours ago

BotchonCanucks Jason Botchford
Thanks for keeping us updated RT @SteveNash Need my bro-in-law Malhotra to have successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision
2 hours ago

I wonder if the Canucks are ok with Steve Nash releasing info about Malhotra's surgery tomorrow. Especially the part about "saving his eye"
2 hours ago

SteveNash Steve Nash
I need my brother in law, Manny Malhotra of the Vancouver Canucks, to have a successful eye surgery tomorrow saving his eye and vision.
2 hours ago
Can someone explain why the Canucks have so much interest in keeping Malhotra's condition secret? If he is not coming back this year, why all the cloak and dagger stuff?

Old
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Sorry, yes. You are completely correct. When a player is injured it's completely standard for him to not talk to the media, for the team to issue terse "no comments," for the player to be having secret surgery.

They said it's a long term injury. And it's a serious injury that effects Manny on a personal level more than the Canucks or Canucks fans in any way whether we like it or not. It makes sense that they're not going to update us with every new development, particularly when the outcome of the new development isn't even known.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
VanEric

Quote:

No, it's not odd. He had surgery and he's done for the season. What else was there to share until now? The second surgery hasn't happened yet. How do you know they wouldn't update his condition after they find out how that goes?

How do you know he doesn't feel comfortable talking to the press? Take off the tin foil.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
smellmember

When I was 22 a senseless youth decided to try and steal my bike after a friend and I decided to ride our bikes down to watch the fireworks at the Celebration of Light. He randomly struck me with a 26 of liquor in the face, in my left eye.

I was blind for about a year and after some extensive surgeries (and a lot of steroid injections) I regained my vision, and after about another year I had 90% vision in that eye returned. 5 years later I can see fine, I can't remember if its as good as before to be honest, but I don't need glasses. (Alas, I'll never be a pilot)

Anyways, my point is is that eye injuries are especially scary, but modern medicine is amazing, and Manny could well recover his vision fine to help the Canucks win their second Stanley Cup!

Cheers Manny!

Old
03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Can someone explain why the Canucks have so much interest in keeping Malhotra's condition secret? If he is not coming back this year, why all the cloak and dagger stuff?
They probably want to let Manny get through this in peace. Same as Mitchell last year.

I'll be keeping my everythings crossed for Manny.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
No, it's not odd. He had surgery and he's done for the season. What else was there to share until now? The second surgery hasn't happened yet. How do you know they wouldn't update his condition after they find out how that goes?

How do you know he doesn't feel comfortable talking to the press? Take off the tin foil.
You're right. They are not trying to hide anything.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
skg

I think it's just club policy not to reveal information of this type. I certainly wouldn't want my workplace to reveal to the whole world when I'm having surgery for a serious eye injury or if I'm seeking counselling for behavioral issues.

On the good news front, looks like Hamhuis is okay and Edler could be back before the playoffs. No conditioning stint in Manitoba needed.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/reg...483/story.html

Old
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
I think it's just club policy not to reveal information of this type. I certainly wouldn't want my workplace to reveal to the whole world when I'm having surgery for a serious eye injury or if I'm seeking counselling for behavioral issues.

On the good news front, looks like Hamhuis is okay and Edler could be back before the playoffs. No conditioning stint in Manitoba needed.

Do they also publish your annual salary for the whole world to see at your workplace? Cmon - apples and oranges.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Do they also publish your annual salary for the whole world to see at your workplace? Cmon - apples and oranges.
Actually the club doesn't publish salaries.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Actually the club doesn't publish salaries.
For the record, I don't publish their salaries either.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
JerkChicken

Quote:

Thanks for the link to the article.

Twice at the end of the story, they make reference to 'tonight's game in Nashville'.

Game is tomorrow, isn't it?

Old
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
skg

Quote:
Yes, my annual salary is actually published as is everyone else in my profession. But that's to my benefit as I can see what others are making and negotiate a better contract. Similar to what happened to NHL players not too long ago. Quite a difference between that and revealing private, personal information.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
The policy all year has been to release a single statement on an injury, and then to all intents and purposes have the player blacked out from the media. I think it was Gallagher who lamented he's never seen a team remove all media availability in regards to an injured player like the Canucks have this season. For example, Tanner Glass is one of the most quoted Canucks (around the league even, he pops up on TSN all the time regarding head shots and stuff), but he's disappeared since his injury.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Lots of professions have their salaries published (in BC at least most government workers in management positions, judges, doctors, politicians, etc. have salary information that's publicly accessible).

No one's entitled to updates about Malhotra's condition. If he wants to share it, that's fine, but I'm sure the team will leave that to Malhotra's discretion and he's got bigger things to worry about right now than what fans may think.

Just because the general public doesn't know the ins and outs of what going on doesn't mean it's a "secret surgery". Was Alex Burrows' shoulder surgery a "secret surgery" because no one knew about it until a week or two after it happened?

Old
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
gobi

While Malhotra and the Canucks have every right to inform the fans with as much (or little) information as they like, I think the silence is quite telling in itself. Imagine for a moment that the injury looked worse than it was and there was only bruising in the eye and he will continue to play hockey after a few months rest. I am quite positive the Canucks would have released the good news by now. The only explanations I can think of why no more news has been released yet are: a) respect Malhotra's privacy, b) do not want to lower team's morale, and c) uncertainty of the eye's recovery chance.

This is just pure speculation on my part but I think if the surgery is indeed successful, the fans should hear about it quite shortly. Otoh, if the eye can't be saved, I think the news won't be released until after the Canucks playoff run at which time, he will probably announce his retirement as well.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The policy all year has been to release a single statement on an injury, and then to all intents and purposes have the player blacked out from the media. I think it was Gallagher who lamented he's never seen a team remove all media availability in regards to an injured player like the Canucks have this season. For example, Tanner Glass is one of the most quoted Canucks (around the league even, he pops up on TSN all the time regarding head shots and stuff), but he's disappeared since his injury.
It might have started because of Gallagher's "work" on the Demitra situation last year. Maybe they feel its better to have one standard for all injured/inactive players?

Old
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Yes, my annual salary is actually published as is everyone else in my profession. But that's to my benefit as I can see what others are making and negotiate a better contract. Similar to what happened to NHL players not too long ago. Quite a difference between that and revealing private, personal information.
Do they also publish an injury reserve list at your workplace?

When you go off sick, do they publish a list that is accessible by anyone giving a rough description of the reason for your absence, when you are expected back, etc.?

Old
03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
It might have started because of Gallagher's "work" on the Demitra situation last year. Maybe they feel its better to have one standard for all injured/inactive players?
Ya, I don't really mind myself; I mean, who cares about those filler interviews where an injured guy says: "I'm feeling a bit better then yesterday, but my return is still uncertain."

I suppose Gillis would say he wants the player to focus on their recovery or something.

It's sort of funny when relatively minor injured players like Glass are removed from media availability though; even Samuelsson who is nursing something minor hasn't been heard from since he's been in the press box.

The main point being, obviously; this situation is NOT restricted to Malhotra so to read anything into the player or clubs relative silence would be erroneous.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Just because the general public doesn't know the ins and outs of what going on doesn't mean it's a "secret surgery". Was Alex Burrows' shoulder surgery a "secret surgery" because no one knew about it until a week or two after it happened?
I understand where you are coming from.......I have just found the silence from everyone involved since the incident occurred to be a bit ominous. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

My point is that it's sort of obvious that the injury is very severe given that the team won't comment. Were the injury to be easily repairable, it seems more likely that the team and the player would be more open about things.

I don't remember all this silence when Ohlund went out with his eye injury.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I understand where you are coming from.......I have just found the silence from everyone involved since the incident occurred to be a bit ominous. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

My point is that it's sort of obvious that the injury is very severe given that the team won't comment. Were the injury to be easily repairable, it seems more likely that the team and the player would be more open about things.

I don't remember all this silence when Ohlund went out with his eye injury.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Wow. Seriously, guys?

Way to let the media blow this way out of proportion. It's really no big secret that Malhotra's vision is at risk. Sounds like Nash was just lending his support.

Closed Thread