HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey-reference.com Player Rankings

Old
10-25-2012, 02:50 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 500
What is the deal with the points. I mean, i voted Ken Dryden over Ed Giacomin and it said that Dryden got +4 and Giacomin got -4 based on my vote. But when i voted Gainey over a guy i forgot the points were +2 and -2?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
What is the deal with the points. I mean, i voted Ken Dryden over Ed Giacomin and it said that Dryden got +4 and Giacomin got -4 based on my vote. But when i voted Gainey over a guy i forgot the points were +2 and -2?
I think it factors "upsets" highly. If you vote Brian Bradley over Jean Ratelle, based on their previous rank, Bradley would get more points (6?) and Ratelle would lose as many. For close calls...Gretzky vs. Orr, it would be a differential of 2 I believe.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I think it factors "upsets" highly. If you vote Brian Bradley over Jean Ratelle, based on their previous rank, Bradley would get more points (6?) and Ratelle would lose as many. For close calls...Gretzky vs. Orr, it would be a differential of 2 I believe.
I think you're right. There is a formula involved. If you've ever participated in something with a ladder ranking system, there's a default number of points you start with, and your score goes up or down after every matchup based on whether you won or lost, and what the point total of your opponent was before you started.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think you're right. There is a formula involved. If you've ever participated in something with a ladder ranking system, there's a default number of points you start with, and your score goes up or down after every matchup based on whether you won or lost, and what the point total of your opponent was before you started.
Ok, thanks. Got totally addicted to this. Been doing for the whole day.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

My first marque match-up

Kevin Lowe vs Joe Nieuwendyk

They are now at 1622 and 1720 respectively

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote