HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2011 Rookie Tournament - Sens/Pens/Leafs/Hawks - Sept 10th in Oshawa

Old
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
ShotDownCrosby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapjackSilver View Post
I hate the Leafs as much as most people (having broken my heart several times)...

But I don't get the general hate for the City of Toronto. Yes I'm from Ottawa, all my life.. but Toronto is a world class city. Hate all you want on the sports teams and their fans, but don't hate an actual city just because the actual team you hate is from there. Seems childish.
I'm from Toronto area, and still work right downtown. And honestly, I moved out of the city because I couldn't take it. But I'm not a big fan of big cities. Great to visit but otherwise, I'm not a fan.

Last edited by ShotDownCrosby: 08-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
langcam

Just picked up my tickets for the Sens v Leafs. When is the final roster announced?

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
this is true.

.....Montreal on the other hand
Well, Montreal sucks vs Toronto. You have no idea how pitiful it is with the bridges and circulation right now. There's only 3 million people around this huge city, but it looks like we are 25 millions. It's getting pathetic. Montreal doesn't look better than Beyrouth right now (ok, I'm exagerrating). But, ya it's cool for young people who want to party. A lot of fun people from everywhere in Montreal.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
But I don't get the general hate for the City of Toronto. Yes I'm from Ottawa, all my life.. but Toronto is a world class city. Hate all you want on the sports teams and their fans, but don't hate an actual city just because the actual team you hate is from there. Seems childish.
Toronto is not a "world class city" and the fact that its residents have an obnoxious need to assert so makes the rest of country dislike it even more.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:54 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
I live in Toronto and it's horrible. Overrated. The stuff in it is great like the ACC/CN tower Wonderland and all but that's it(Basically just downtown)

I loved my time in Edmonton more(before the killings there)

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Toronto is not a "world class city" and the fact that its residents have an obnoxious need to assert so makes the rest of country dislike it even more.
Toronto is like a B list world class city in terms of tourist destinations... if you think about people in other parts of the world and where they've always dreamed about going on a vacation, there's no way that TO is in the same list as Rome, Venice, Athens, Paris, London, NYC, San Fran or Tokyo. Maybe Vancouver is in that list, esp if you like riots with kissing.

But maybe it's in the next group -- Sydney, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Barcelona, Rio, ...

Of course, living there is different than visiting -- a lot of the so called world class cities are not that great to live in for various reasons. I'd rather live in Ottawa than TO -- and not coincidentally, I do.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Xspyrit

http://ca.askmen.com/specials/top_29_cities/

Top-29 cities in the World. Of course Toronto is not there, but what shocked me is Montreal at 26.

Just on top of my head and places I have lived or spent a significative amount of time, cities like Geneva, Marseille, Dubaļ and Valencia are not even there...

Montreal's airport sucks, bridges situation is pathetic, no parking, way too much traffic, one-ways will get you crazy, it's dirty in many areas, East is poor and ugly... from someone who traveled a lot and lived in different places on the earth, this city doesn't have a soul

Quebec is x100 better and Montreal made their top-29 lol. Never been to Vancouver but I would bet it's a better place too. Festivals, Vieux-Montreal and Mont Royal are the only great things about this city, oh and night life is decent for those who care. But, just go to Quebec, a lot more magic there.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:27 PM
FlapjackSilver

Perhaps I should have rephased to something like this;

Toronto is ONE of our "World Class" cities that we have in this country. Instead of taking it for granted (because they have a hockey team, we happen to not get along with..), we should embrace it.

This being said; I've also traveled to Montreal several times as well, if I were given the choice of living in the two cities, I would probably take Montreal 7/10.

I'm younger, so I go go get bombed, wheel chicks from out of town, and hang out with my friends who go to school in these places. I would assume your taste of the big city runs dry as you get older, but I could just be reaching there.

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I've been to Toronto numerous times and its a nice place. I like big cities though, so I'm partial. I've visited all the major Canadian cities and Toronto is right up there for me.

Vancouver/Victoria tie
Montreal
Toronto
Calgary
Ottawa
Halifax

Winnipeg (very meh)

Edmonton (Complete Dump)

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
I've been to Toronto numerous times and its a nice place. I like big cities though, so I'm partial. I've visited all the major Canadian cities and Toronto is right up there for me.

Vancouver/Victoria tie
Montreal
Toronto
Calgary
Ottawa
Halifax

Winnipeg (very meh)

Edmonton (Complete Dump)
Whoa, surprising. Winnipeg's the dump...and I was born there.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Whoa, surprising. Winnipeg's the dump...and I was born there.
I've been to Edmonton a lot, originally from Calgary, and it sucks big time. Only really nice parts of Edmonton are the WestEd Waterpark and the U of A campus. Winnipeg isn't great either, but I've had more exposure to Edmonton.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
I've been to Edmonton a lot, originally from Calgary, and it sucks big time. Only really nice parts of Edmonton are the WestEd Waterpark and the U of A campus. Winnipeg isn't great either, but I've had more exposure to Edmonton.
Ever been to Winnipeg in the winter?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
I'm younger, so I go go get bombed, wheel chicks from out of town, and hang out with my friends who go to school in these places. I would assume your taste of the big city runs dry as you get older, but I could just be reaching there.
Yeah you are reaching considering I live in Manhattan. Toronto is not "the big city" in anything other than its sprawl. It has very little history, urban planning, natural beauty, arts, great neighborhoods, or character. Its iconic architecture consists of a giant concrete phallus with one retractable nut. Yet despite all this its residents feel the need to assert that it is some world-class destination. Seriously did someone just put it in the same category as Barcelona and Berlin? Maybe you could put it in the same category as Chicago, but that is no great compliment. The center of the city is just thoroughly mediocre, and its terrible sprawl is a blight on the rest of the province.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
BK201

Most people hate toronto because they try to pass laws that effect people that don't live in a city in a different and sometimes negative Way.

Ontario as a whole is not mainly made of big cities so I'm sure some can see why people hate the city of Toronto.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Ever been to Winnipeg in the winter?
Yes, Edmonton is as bad.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

So I was wanting to read about the prospect game.... and left learning that Toronto is a B-list tourist destinaton.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:05 PM
wjhl2009fan

FlapjackSilver
I like toronto as a city its nice over all but i would not go as far as calling it a world class city.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Yeah you are reaching considering I live in Manhattan. Toronto is not "the big city" in anything other than its sprawl. It has very little history, urban planning, natural beauty, arts, great neighborhoods, or character. Its iconic architecture consists of a giant concrete phallus with one retractable nut. Yet despite all this its residents feel the need to assert that it is some world-class destination. Seriously did someone just put it in the same category as Barcelona and Berlin? Maybe you could put it in the same category as Chicago, but that is no great compliment. The center of the city is just thoroughly mediocre, and its terrible sprawl is a blight on the rest of the province.
Toronto isn't New York, but it is somewhere between Berlin and Barcelona in terms of being world class. Maybe not in terms of tourist appeal, but even there you are completely underestimating its appeal. Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world. Its safe. People speak the world's dominant language. Its history and its culture are both very close offshoots of the dominant culture/history of the last two centuries. Its the most powerful city in a fairly influential country (probably quite a bit more influential then Spain).

The architecture and the neighboorhoods are also generally underrated. The entire area near the AGO is filled with beautiful buildings and areas like the Annex are amazing in terms of their green space and overall livability. I mean I doubt you can find many neighboorhoods as nice as the Annex.

In terms of arts, our city produces a number of the biggest acts exported across the world. From literature, to movies, to musicians, we export culture in a big way. It might not be in terms of Opera's and other things that no one cares about - I wouldn't know - but that isn't culture and its not important are, its pretentious people wasting time and money pretending like this is still the 1800s.

Anyways, what really counts for world class is economic clout. And Toronto has quite a bit.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
dacostalove

Quote:
chicago is a hell of a lot nicer than toronto. it has simply breathtaking architecture. and at least some kind of history worth celebrating.

dacostalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Lexicon Devil

Edit: Okay, nevermind, off topic. Continue with discussion about who our #32 prospect is.

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 08-06-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
So I was wanting to read about the prospect game.... and left learning that Toronto is a B-list tourist destinaton.
LOLZ!

Also, time for our prospects to blow the others out completely.

Nothing was better than that 7-1 whooping we gave the Leafs a couple years ago that shut them up completely.

P.S. If Dubai isn't a top 10 city in the world I dunno what is.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:43 PM
dacostalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Anyways, what really counts for world class is economic clout. And Toronto has quite a bit.
aaandd no.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Can someone please elaborate on what the last 30 posts or so have to do with the Rookie games which is what this thread is supposed to be about? If I wanted a tourist's guide to North America I'd have gone on the CAA website!

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:26 PM
dacostalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
Can someone please elaborate on what the last 30 posts or so have to do with the Rookie games which is what this thread is supposed to be about? If I wanted a tourist's guide to North America I'd have gone on the CAA website!
everything to be said about the tournament as of yet is in the first post. there's no rosters yet. no speculation. what exactly do you want people to talk about? oh boy i hope imaginary lineup x beats imaginary lineup y!

in a conversation in real life, when you move on from an exhausted topic, do you get angry and try to force the other person to come up with something to say about the first thing when all there was to say has already been said? how douchey.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
I hate the Leafs as much as most people (having broken my heart several times)...

I agree, but I'll also side partially with the guy who called T.O. mediocre.
Lastman really failed trying to put a "world-class", on a city, which really just doesn't cut it. I would rank Montreal more world-class.
However; to say Toronto, has no culture, history or urban planning, is
the typical blind Toronto-hate so prevalent in the country. Its not
assertion, its not chest thumping, its just when you have a lot of people, you are loud. Just look at the SBP, during Mtl. and TML games.

From neighbourhood to neighbourhood, then are different characters
of style in architecture, and a different culture. Hate if you, must, but
don't be blind about it, because you hate a certain team. I accept my city for what it is, but don't make up stuff.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote