HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Auld !!

Old
03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Alex Auld !!

I cannot get over just how well this guy has played lately ! If I was coaching I would have a hard time not starting him tonight against the Sabres. He deserves another start. After his last start against Toronto I NEVER wanted to see him in nets again BUT I never thought he would be able to perform the way he has.....Keep up the great work Alex !!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I cannot get over just how well this guy has played lately ! If I was coaching I would have a hard time not starting him tonight against the Sabres. He deserves another start. After his last start against Toronto I NEVER wanted to see him in nets again BUT I never thought he would be able to perform the way he has.....Keep up the great work Alex !!!
Thank god you are not the coach

But he has played a good last game and a half

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

The only reason I would start him is to pull a Boston and shelter Price's stats. Buffalo has been on a roll lately and there's a chance of a 5+ goals against game.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
The only reason I would start him is to pull a Boston and shelter Price's stats. Buffalo has been on a roll lately and there's a chance of a 5+ goals against game.
What?

Shelter Price's stats?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
What?

Shelter Price's stats?
Hell yeah. I'll be hella mad if Price doesn't break his 07-08 SV% and GAA this year.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Hell yeah. I'll be hella mad if Price doesn't break his 07-08 SV% and GAA this year.
Well if you consider Price a top goalie in the league then he should be able to play against the Sabres.

Listen, Auld played good in relief against the Rangers and did his job playing on Sunday and giving Carey a break. This is Price's team and with the division within one point they are not going to play their backup against a playoff team and they are most certainly not going to sit Price to "protect his stats" (which quite frankly is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard).

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
That's what back up goalies do, they either steal a game for you or they look like a back up goalie. That being said Price is starting this week, Alex can play when when the games won't mean anything anymore, last game of the season

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 03-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
rUmX

Lol @ OP thank god you are not the coach. If you watched the game then you'd know the Wild are a really bad team right now.

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:41 AM
davenash

Auld is great on the road and struggles at home. I don't get it. Maybe he's nervous in front of the home crowd.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's what back up goalies do, they either steal a game for you or they look like a back up goalie. That being said Price is starting this week, Alex can play when when the games won't mean anything anymore, last game of the season
If I was the coach, I'd give him starts against the Thrashers, Devils and Senators.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
SonOfA BaseballCoach

Some fans will state Auld is overpaid for the job he does for us. However, I for one have never lost faith in the man.

His style is very similar to Carey's, making it easier for our defense to play with him when Carey has a night off. In addition, I feel his stats are incredible for a back-up who was brought in to only play 10-15 games a year.

Most back-ups would resent being played so little, but Auld has come in here full-well knowing that would be his role, and has flourished in it.

PS: I also believe that Pierre Groulx (the Habs current goaltender coach) was Auld's coach back in Florida. JM was the GM of the Panthers at the time. Perhaps their history was one of the reason's they brought him in last summer.

SonOfA BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Auld has played well. Good thing if Price has a wonky knee. <screams>

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfA BaseballCoach View Post
Some fans will state Auld is overpaid for the job he does for us. However, I for one have never lost faith in the man.

His style is very similar to Carey's, making it easier for our defense to play with him when Carey has a night off. In addition, I feel his stats are incredible for a back-up who was brought in to only play 10-15 games a year.

Most back-ups would resent being played so little, but Auld has come in here full-well knowing that would be his role, and has flourished in it.
I hated the signing in the summer. But I have since come around. He's been great, yea he's had a few stinkers go in at bad times but I blame not playing for a month prior to those stinkers.

One thing I like is that he is a team guy, he puts the team first. I honestly thought he is overpaid by 500k, I don't think he deserved $1m but the way he has supported Carey and come on when it maters (down the stretch), I'm fine with him earning $1m now.

I do wish he'd get a couple of more starts though, I'd be happy with like 17-22 starts from him. I won't mind if we keep him next year.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
SonOfA BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I hated the signing in the summer. But I have since come around. He's been great, yea he's had a few stinkers go in at bad times but I blame not playing for a month prior to those stinkers.

One thing I like is that he is a team guy, he puts the team first. I honestly thought he is overpaid by 500k, I don't think he deserved $1m but the way he has supported Carey and come on when it maters (down the stretch), I'm fine with him earning $1m now.

I do wish he'd get a couple of more starts though, I'd be happy with like 17-22 starts from him. I won't mind if we keep him next year.
Exactly, his team-game is what makes him worth his value. Can you imagine if a guy came in here for $500k to play this amount? In the end it is a business and they do play to make money. I really hope they resign him next year. It's not like our franchise can't afford the extra $500k

SonOfA BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
If I was the coach, I'd give him starts against the Thrashers, Devils and Senators.
Pretty much, even the last game of the year against the Leafs to give Price that extra game off. Maybe Price will want to play, who knows

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
neofury*

If it's down to letting TO win so a team like Buffalo doesn't make it, I'd actually be more than happy to put Auld in nets and not ice a single important player the entire game.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Habblues

The reason I would start Auld tonight is because Price (as reported) has a sore right knee,so i`d ride Auld while he`s hot. But would I sign him next year ? Most likely not, because I think he`s on a hot streak right now and he`s not consistent.
We need Price to play against the Leafs ! The Leafs have owned us the last two seasons and I`m sick of it ! We`re the better team and we need to show it.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
The hottest team in the NHL who get garbage goals (Auld lets in a lot of those) And plays the trap after. That would be the worst mistake of the season

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
The hottest team in the NHL who get garbage goals (Auld lets in a lot of those) And plays the trap after. That would be the worst mistake of the season
Holy Over reaction batman. LOL worst mistake of the season.

Alex Auld has a .922 sv%, he isn't exactly a sive and hockey is a team game, Auld is 6-2-1, thats a pretty impressive record.

We are also pretty much a lock for the playoffs so it is hardly going to cost the team anything.

Old
03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
The Right Price

He has played well for a backup goalie. He has done his job admirably and therefore I'd be willing to extend his contract with a year.

Price will get the starts as long as our position in the standing is not firm.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
tigerman111

Auld has been playing his role flAuldlessly

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pretty much, even the last game of the year against the Leafs to give Price that extra game off. Maybe Price will want to play, who knows
Auld has been pretty shaky versus the Leafs though.. Seems like he's good on the road against teams that we often don't do well against lol

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote