HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Kovalev and Neal numbers discussion

Old
03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobodrifter View Post
Kovalev has been making things happen with his playmaking and vision. It's not his fault that his teamates cannot finish some of his passes. He isn't good defensively, has he ever really been a defensive stalwart? The guy is almost 40 but he still has skill and vision to contribute if he is in the right position. He's no Mike Rupp but he may be helpful in the post season.
Yeah, I'm still holding out until we see Crosby/Kovalev together. Kovalev has proven to me that he can thread tape-to-tape passes in traffic better than anyone currently on our roster and he still has a wicked shot. You think he and Sid setting up each other and on the Powerplay.

I have hope.

As for Neal, I think he's been playing great at both ends.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
cassius

I definitely agree with you Trav.

Right now, Kovalev sticks out like a sore thumb because our roster is 90% grinders. I want to see what he can do when he plays with a guy like Sid or Geno.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Nakawick

I am a bit dissapointed that we are not seeing better stats from those guys. (Imagine the hate if Staal only had 1 goal, 3 pts in 12-13 games). Hopefully they can pick it up because so far they are behind the pace that Poni was on last year. Neal seems snakebiten and will likely break out. Kovy is a dancer on a team full of grinders. With any luck Sid will get a few regular season games in and we will get a chance to see if Sid and Kovy can find any chemistry. Maybe Sid coming back will give Kovy some added motivation.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
metalan2

Neal fits perfectly in our system. He is playing like a beast. I have no idea why some of you people can't see this. Our team IS better with him than it is with Goligoski, it just is. Neal will score, and we are winning games.

Kovalev is Kovalev. This is exactly the type of play I expected from him. No shock there.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Bylsma clearly thinks the problem with these 2 is the center. He can't find the right fit between them. Not sure I agree, but it's obvious that's what DB's thinking.

Love what I saw from the Kunitz Staal Kennedy line against the Wings.

Talbot and Dupuis did some good things on their line.

I'd stick Crosby between Neal and Kovy when he returns to see what happens. Maybe it all comes together once they have that top line center between them. DB will probably have to try some different things before that since they need to get Kovy and Neal going statistically and they haven't been getting it done together.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Neal fits perfectly in our system. He is playing like a beast. I have no idea why some of you people can't see this. Our team IS better with him than it is with Goligoski, it just is. Neal will score, and we are winning games.

Kovalev is Kovalev. This is exactly the type of play I expected from him. No shock there.
I was going to post then I came across this. Agreed 100%.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
That's for sure. Our PP definitely has a lack of talent, but Byslma's adjustments are pretty tough to justify.

Every time I see Mike Rupp out there on the PP I vomit in my mouth a little.
As beyond atrocious as the PP is. It's better that it suffers now and they keep trying different combinations. Once we start getting shots on net, chemistry will be built up among those on the 1st unit. Last night was an example of guys like jeffrey and niskanen not knowing what to expect from one another. Sid should help out in maintaining zone time. I'm fine with just getting shots to the net at this point. This team has proven any semblance of a PP can put us over the top against very good teams.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Crozbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I think Kovalev could be a perfect linemate for Malkin honestly. I have watched him make some beautiful passes.. just kinda makes me wonder how many of those opportunities Malkin would have buried.

He's got the skill to keep up and Geno likes to carry the puck, so Kovalev's wheels wouldnt matter as much. Kovalev is more of a skilled playmaker these days than a pure sniper. I think you throw him on Malkin's wing and watch Geno re-gain his confidence as a goalscorer and a playmaker.

If we can pick him up for <$2M/cap hit.... its a steal. You guys might think he's old and over the hill, but we won a cup with Guerin on our top-line. When you got a team who has ~22M tied up in centers you need to find bargains on the wing.
I generally agree. It might be a worth while gamble. If anyone can gives Kovi's career one last kick in the ass it is Malkin. They both like to slow the game down; they can both make great plays or finish ...

The problem is that this line could also be a defensive nightmare with just those two guys

&Who goes out with them, Neal? Staal?

Could be that think just didn't roll for Kovi this season, and that's all he's getting. then again, if Malkin did not go down, would the Pens even have acquired him?

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post

if he was 6'4, blond, payed $4M per yr and drafted 2nd overall.... most would be making excuses for him

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
mpp9

Shero will be wise to consider that malkin has said he considers kovy to be One of the best russian players in recent history. Malkins ES goals were a result of give and gos largely. Kovy can fill that role nicely. Theyll light a fire under each other and give kovy an epic final year and get malkin back to where he should be.

Old
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 944
They are putting up worse numbers then Ponikarovsky did.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:39 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Next time I hear a ponikarovsky comparison with neal im gonna lose it. Poni did nothing if he wasnt scoring. Neal backchecks, forechecks, blows people up, sets up scoring opportunities and has a ridiculous shot. Hell find consistency here in this system.

Old
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Guys Alex Kovelev is currently making $5M a year. Overpriced? Certainly, but you're talking about him taking $1M+ to stay here. Or roughly a 70%-80% salary cut depending on amount. WHO DOES THAT? If he has even a decent finish to the season, someone will pay him $3M+ next year and then a lesser amount the year after, or he'll just go play in Russia where he can continue making big money.
If that's the case then Shero has his decision made for him.

Simple as that.

Kovy is soff and old.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Kovy is maybe, but for anyone to make a Neal comparison to that lump of **** hasn't been watching the games.

Neal brings a ton to the team, even without the goals that we were all hoping for. Wait until someone that's worth a damn comes back before throwing him into the same lot as Poni.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:05 PM
gafel

Quote:
I forgot Poni was playing with Jeffrey or Letestu centering him. Damn, I gave that guy a bad rap. I could have sworn I saw him playing with two of the top centers in the league. Strange.

gafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
I forgot Poni was playing with Jeffrey or Letestu centering him. Damn, I gave that guy a bad rap. I could have sworn I saw him playing with two of the top centers in the league. Strange.
"Play" is a loose term for what he did. More like ride the bench.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
gafel

That Hossa guy that was kind of a big deal, he only had how many goals in his 12 reg season games with us? 3?
Wasn't he pretty good in the 2008 playoffs?

Old
03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Next time I hear a ponikarovsky comparison with neal im gonna lose it. Poni did nothing if he wasnt scoring. Neal backchecks, forechecks, blows people up, sets up scoring opportunities and has a ridiculous shot. Hell find consistency here in this system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
Kovy is maybe, but for anyone to make a Neal comparison to that lump of **** hasn't been watching the games.

Neal brings a ton to the team, even without the goals that we were all hoping for. Wait until someone that's worth a damn comes back before throwing him into the same lot as Poni.
Quote:
Read post first, i said they are putting up worse numbers then Poni. I did not compare any other aspects nor did i say Poni played better then Neal, jeesh.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
hctopcheds11

I have no complaints about Neal. He has literally done everything but score goals. I think he has 4 points in his last 6 games, which is about average for him. As far as goals, they will come and it certainly can't help going from Brad Richards (a legit number one center) to a bunch of number 3's.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
JTG

I know close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but Neal has seriously been inches away from goals. He's getting shots and he's working hard. That play he made last game where he was behind the net and he tried wrapping it around. I for sure thought that was going to be in.

Old
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Can we stop worrying until Sid and or Geno come back?

Neal will be fine, as for Kovy well...the man ain't a young spring chicken anymore.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
gafel

Quote:
Read post first, i said they are putting up worse numbers then Poni. I did not compare any other aspects nor did i say Poni played better then Neal, jeesh.
That's still irrelevant.

Old
03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
JTG

Quote:
That Hossa guy that was kind of a big deal, he only had how many goals in his 12 reg season games with us? 3?
Wasn't he pretty good in the 2008 playoffs?
Hossa only played 4 regular season games with Crosby.

Old
03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I'm by no means completely in agreement with Bylsma's system but it all boils down to lack of creative centers. Kovalev I could care less about, but it's plain to see Neal should be just fine next year at the latest. Plus, as always, the important part is if you're getting chances and he is.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Dinfire

Love Neal. He hasn't got results yet, but he will. Kovalev drives me bonkers. Shoots when he shouldn't and tries to force too many passes into traffic. He's not as good as his mind is telling him he is. That's what happens when you get old. I can tell you from first-hand experience, it stinks.

Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote