HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

March 17: Conference call update (post #236); Pronger, hand surgery, out 3-4 weeks

Old
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
March 17: Conference call update (post #236); Pronger, hand surgery, out 3-4 weeks

Discussion regarding Pronger's comments about Giroux have been made in this thread, starting with post #32.

March 17: Pronger had a conference call with the media regarding his hand surgery (one article in post #236).

March 15: Surgery termed successful

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...chris-pronger/

Quote:
Finally. Good news.

Chris Pronger’s right hand surgery was successful this morning according to Flyers’ General Manager Paul Holmgren.

“Surgery went very well,” Holmgren said. “Chris will be able to return in 3-4 weeks.”

It was announced only yesterday that the Flyers top blueliner would leave the team and head to Cleveland for the operation.

“We feel going in and just putting a little screw in this little piece of bone is the best way to move forward in terms of the healing process and get him back playing as soon as possible,” the general manager said yesterday in a conference call.

The three to four week timetable will cost Pronger most – if not all – of the rest of the regular season.
March 14: Holmgren's transcript regarding Pronger's injury.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...ronger-injury/

Quote:
With Chris Pronger out three to four weeks, the Flyers will have an even tougher time recovering from two consecutive losses. General Manager Paul Holmgren held a conference call while he was in Boca Raton, Fla. where general manager meetings are being held.
March 14: Pronger's Injury Update

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1GdKgqKr7

Quote:
SUNRISE, Fla. _ The Flyers' grasp on first place in the Eastern Conference isn't as tight after today's stunning news: Defenseman Chris Pronger will have surgery on his right hand on Tuesday and will miss three to four weeks, the club announced.

Pronger skated, but did not shoot the puck during Monday's practice in Florida and referred questions to GM Paul Holmgren.

"Chris had a CT scan on his right hand on Sunday and a small fracture was discovered,” Holmgren said in a statement later in the day. “Our doctors believe surgery is the best route to take with the injury. Surgery will be done Tuesday morning in Cleveland by Dr. Tom Graham."

On Saturday night, Holmgren said some tests, including an MRI, were performed on Pronger's hand and were negative. But he continued to have pain and had another test performed on Sunday.
March 11: Holmgren's response to Pronger's comments regarding Giroux.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...or-Flyers.html

Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren acknowledged Friday that defenseman Chris Pronger was chewing out Claude Giroux after the team’s inartistic 4-1 win over Edmonton Tuesday.

Asked what he thought of the situation, Holmgren was blunt.

“I think it’s great,” he told reporters at the Flyers' practice facility in Voorhees.

As reporters entered the locker room after Tuesday’s game, Pronger could be heard shouting, “Some people just don’t learn.”

The Flyers dominated the first period in that win over Edmonton _ ending a four-game losing streak _ but were soundly outplayed in the final 40 minutes.

“Nobody likes the way we’ve been playing, and it just came to a head in that particular instance, I’m sure,” said Holmgren, whose team hosts Atlanta on Saturday night, a game in which Pronger is questionable because of a sore right hand. “Just got to get on the same page. I’m assuming you’re talking about Chris and Claude, right? Claude Giroux wants to win, but sometimes he needs to hear from the older guys on the team that this is how it’s done.”

Added Holmgren: “I don’t think it’s bad. Claude, maybe he didn’t like being spoken to like that, but I think he understands what’s being said to him, and he’ll benefit from that.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Black Ice

vCash: 500
Oh No! I hope it's not serious.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
CptCannon

We're doomed.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
i am dave

Quote:
@DNFlyers Frank Seravalli
Paul Holmgren says Chris Pronger has an upper body injury and is day-to-day. Will miss tonight's game. Boynton in.
1 minute ago via ‹berSocial
http://twitter.com/#!/DNFlyers/status/45903187940610048

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'm sure Boynton is more than skilled enough to fill the gap.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Upper body? Could that include his hand?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:05 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
It is his hand. Still, this is no excuse for them to lose to a team, AGAIN, that is behind them 20 points in the standings.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

i think pronger said everything he needed to say after the game against the oilers

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Aka they rushed him back too early?

Figures. Just hope he isnt out longer. Time to see if Boyton deserves the scapegoat mentality he had on his last 3 teams. (and Im leaning towards yes)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Aka they rushed him back too early?

Figures. Just hope he isnt out longer. Time to see if Boyton deserves the scapegoat mentality he had on his last 3 teams. (and Im leaning towards yes)
Boynton probably aggravated Pronger's hand.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
BernieParent

Hopefully, Pronger didn't injure his hand using the Peter Laviolette technique of sentence punctuation.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Miss Mess

Frick!!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
DenverBoone

Great, Carle will be paired with the Waiver Hack...

Also, for as much as we all love Pronger, his contract is going to kill us. He is beyond slow and has nagging injuries already and his contract just kicked in this year. I don't see him being able to play at the NHL level beyond 2013. Visions of Kyle McLaren appear in my mind. It's going to be brutal. Hopefully we win a Cup this year to pay for the future misery...

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He took a puck off his arm, that could happen to anyone, at any age

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post

Also, for as much as we all love Pronger, his contract is going to kill us. He is beyond slow and has nagging injuries already and his contract just kicked in this year. I don't see him being able to play at the NHL level beyond 2013. Visions of Kyle McLaren appear in my mind. It's going to be brutal. Hopefully we win a Cup this year to pay for the future misery...
You ever been hit by a puck?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:09 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
You ever been hit by a puck?
No doubt, apparently slap shots to non protected parts of young dmen don't hurt, only old washed up bums like Prongs !!

WOW

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Yeah, we should get rid of Pronger and get a real dman to play next to Carle. How will Carle ever reach his full potential with such a fragile and slow line mate?

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:

Carle will do just fine with Boynton. He's not a bad player at all, although he'll be rusty tonight.

Pronger's contract is fine. Relax. Wash your mouth out with soap for comparing him to Kyle McLaren, who was never as good for 5 minutes in his entire career as Pronger still is every night in his 17th year or whatever?

Pronger is still one of the best players in the league. Period. And he will be for many years to come.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Carle will do just fine with Boynton. He's not a bad player at all, although he'll be rusty tonight.

Pronger's contract is fine. Relax. Wash your mouth out with soap for comparing him to Kyle McLaren, who was never as good for 5 minutes in his entire career as Pronger still is every night in his 17th year or whatever?

Pronger is still one of the best players in the league. Period. And he will be for many years to come.
I like to think this, but I can't. If Boynton was serviceable, he wouldn't have been waived, especially at his cap hit. I hope to be surprised.

I don't think anyone can make the argument that Pronger's contract is fine. He has been great for Carle, but you can see his physical skills deteriorating because he is old. He is still great, but his play could drop considerably. There is a LOT of risk there if you look at it objectively and don't get brainwashed by his past and present greatness. He is signed for a loooong time.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

I...guess you have never seen Boynton play? He is Matt Walker without the contract. Borderline NHL player.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
flountown

Quote:
I like to think this, but I can't. If Boynton was serviceable, he wouldn't have been waived, especially at his cap hit. I hope to be surprised.

I don't think anyone can make the argument that Pronger's contract is fine. He has been great for Carle, but you can see his physical skills deteriorating because he is old. He is still great, but his play could drop considerably. There is a LOT of risk there if you look at it objectively and don't get brainwashed by his past and present greatness. He is signed for a loooong time.
Who cares how long his contract is at the moment. The NHL cap will only ever go up and all of our expensive assets, minus Giroux and JvR are locked up very reasonably for longer than Pronger's cap hit. FOCUS ON THE NOW.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Hopefully, Pronger didn't injure his hand using the Peter Laviolette technique of sentence punctuation.
I lol'd.

That'd be one tough Coke machine.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I lol'd.

Or Leino's head.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Reaction: "Balls."

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I lol'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13
Or Leino's head.
Either or. I have an image of Pronger walking around with his arm through the Coke machine, the latter occasionally popping out a can.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote