HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Tanguay's Next Contract

Old
03-22-2011, 06:38 PM
flames123

vCash: 500
Alex Tanguay's Next Contract

He has played very well in Calgary and has been a big part of the offensive resurgence.

He has 19 goals, 39 assists for 58 points in 72 games. Thats a pace of 66 points. He is a top line talent, and has shown it this year.

He will be 31 at the end of the season so you would have to expect a contract no longer than 3 years, and not top end dollar.

For the most part players providing a similar contribution to their teams are making about 3.5M. Clowe, Vermette, Krejici, Ruutu, Zajac, Booth, Cullen and Jokinen come to mind in recent years. They range from 3M-4M per year in salary and are producing about 50 points on average. Although a lot of these players are younger and in their primes, Cullen got 3.5M and Jokinen 3M for 50pt production past 30 years of age.

Tanguay brings a good 2-way game and has been an important penalty killer and a good short handed threat. He has played top minutes and been one of the most important Flames all year.

Around the Flames board the consensus seemed to be about 2.8M on a 3 year deal. I think that is a little bit low but what does everyone else think?

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Man Bear Pig

I honestly don't know what to think of Tanguay. He seems to figure it out then fall off the face of the planet then figure it out again. I honestly don't have a clue as to how much I'd give him.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

I see him signing one year, 1.5-2.5 million. Probably deserves more like 2.5-3.5.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
TrollololBoyle

2 years, $2-$3 million per.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Cephalusc

Tanguay is also pretty good in SO's and is strong defensively. Sutter has been using him on the PK lately.

I think someone will give him over $3 million. I'd like to see the Flames resign him.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Lunatik*

I think Tanguay will sign for 2 years in Calgary for 2.5-3 million so he and Iginla can play out the rest of their contracts together

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Njoy Oilers

He has(as well as a few others) found chemistry this year. So if the team can build on that, then he will keep up this pace, and get the raise HE is looking for. 2.5 > 3.5 3yrs. Flames will have to move some of there other exspensive non-producing players out to help the cap issue. Their prospect pool is limited so I think they have to go with what is working now.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

He has been too inconsistent over his career to be a sure thing at any price. I would say in the 2-3M range.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

How important was Tanguay for his team when they won the cup?

I know it was a loaded team, and he was one of the youngest, if not the youngest player on the team. Did he have role in the teams' playoff run?

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post

I know it was a loaded team, and he was one of the youngest, if not the youngest player on the team. Did he have role in the teams' playoff run?
2 goals in game 7 of the SCF

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
GordonGraham

2 years for 5M- 5.5M

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post

Colorado would not have won without Tanguay.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Ashasx

I strongly believe that Tanguay will take a bit of a discount to stay in Calgary with Iginla

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Model T

For those of you pointing to Tanguay's inconsistency, I think it's been exaggerated. He had a bad year in Montreal because he was injured- I think his points/game was pretty reasonable. His year in Tampa was quite poor, no question, but that's still one year. I suppose there's a hint of inconsistency but overall he's not really had huge fluctuations that I'm aware of.

I think as a UFA Tanguay could potentially get as high as $4 million depending on the situation. However, I would guess he stays in Calgary because of how well he clicks with Iginla, and will get 2.5-3 million for 2-3 years.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
DropIt

Tanguay loves Calgary and Calgary loves Tanguay.

I think with Brent Sutter coaching and the obvious proven chemistry with iginla, Feaster targets Tanguay first and potentially locks him up for as many as 5 years.

5 years, 3.5M.

DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I can see him testing the waters if they offer him 2.8. around 3-3.5 for a couple years is likely what it'll take imo

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:09 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Tanguay has said he would like to settle down with his family, he loves the city and the city loves him

2yrs, 3 mil a season

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:44 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

2 years at 3 million per season.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
I can see him testing the waters if they offer him 2.8. around 3-3.5 for a couple years is likely what it'll take imo
honestly I don't think it will take that much. he stopped fielding offers last summer as soon as the Flames made an offer. he has made it clear he wants to be in Calgary and wants to play with Iginla. I wouldn't be shocked to see him take as low as $2 million, but I have him pegged for 2.75 for 2 years. Perhaps longer if he decides he wants to retire a Flame

Old
03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
JuniorNelson

Just guessin', but suppose Burke and his henchman Nonis target Tanguay? They have to build an offence and the FA/RFA market for centers is pretty shallow. Why not add a passing winger?

Also, a lot of posters are presumptive about Feaster's direction. I don't think we'll see his cards before late summer.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Tanguay loves Calgary and Calgary loves Tanguay.

I think with Brent Sutter coaching and the obvious proven chemistry with iginla, Feaster targets Tanguay first and potentially locks him up for as many as 5 years.

5 years, 3.5M.
If Feaster signs that contract, he should be removed from office at once. That's absolutely absurd. If he gets five years, he should be making at most 2.5 a year. That's the point of term.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I think he is underrated. Solid two-way player who can put up points. I think it would be in the Flames best interest to resign to to a deal of 2 or 3 years for around $2.5-3.0 Million. Like some others have said, I can see him taking a pay cut to stay in Calgary. Seems to excel and like it there.

Dragon Priest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If Feaster signs that contract, he should be removed from office at once. That's absolutely absurd. If he gets five years, he should be making at most 2.5 a year. That's the point of term.
I would do 4 years/8 million. Basically I would take him for 3.0 on a 1/2 year, 2.5 on a 3, 2.0 on a 4... if he wants more than 4 I want a cap hit under 2 million

Old
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Explain.

Tanguay is at 60 points right now and on pace for say 65. He has shown that he is the most effective player alongside Iginla that is currently on the roster.
Calgary loves Tanguay, and Tanguay loves Calgary as it has been said so I think Tanguay would be looking for a retirement-esque contract to stay in Calgary long term.

Players with comparitive numbers around the NHL:

Mike Richards: 60 points, 5.75M
Ryan Clowe: 56 points, 3.6M
Justin Williams: 57 points, 3.6M
David Krejci: 56 points, 3.75M

The only difference in this case is age, which at 31 years I wouldnt call Tanguay 'old' either.

He has proven that he is the only player that compliments Iginla and allows him to be a shooter, and throughout their careers, they have consistantly proven this point.

Throw in the fact that players on his OWN team are making 3-3.5 dollar ranges and you tell me who is the most effective player of the bunch?

Sarich, Stajan, Hagman, Kotalik, Bourque, Staios(2.9).

Only Bourque earns his contract out of all these players, but you really think that Tanguay's agent is going to think that 2.5 is fair? Everyone knew going into the season that Tangs was going to take his 1 year deal to raise his stock back up to par so he can sign a nice contract to ride out his career. He has earned his raise, and unless Calgary decides to tear the team apart and move Iginla, we need Tanguay to play alongside of him.
Flame Fans beg and plead for a top line talent to play with Iginla, then when they recieve a 60 point playmaking winger who has put Iggy back into the top 10 in points on the season, they dont think he is worth 3-3.5 million.

DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Explain.

Tanguay is at 60 points right now and on pace for say 65. He has shown that he is the most effective player alongside Iginla that is currently on the roster.
Calgary loves Tanguay, and Tanguay loves Calgary as it has been said so I think Tanguay would be looking for a retirement-esque contract to stay in Calgary long term.

Players with comparitive numbers around the NHL:

Mike Richards: 60 points, 5.75M
Ryan Clowe: 56 points, 3.6M
Justin Williams: 57 points, 3.6M
David Krejci: 56 points, 3.75M

The only difference in this case is age, which at 31 years I wouldnt call Tanguay 'old' either.

He has proven that he is the only player that compliments Iginla and allows him to be a shooter, and throughout their careers, they have consistantly proven this point.

Throw in the fact that players on his OWN team are making 3-3.5 dollar ranges and you tell me who is the most effective player of the bunch?

Sarich, Stajan, Hagman, Kotalik, Bourque, Staios(2.9).

Only Bourque earns his contract out of all these players, but you really think that Tanguay's agent is going to think that 2.5 is fair? Everyone knew going into the season that Tangs was going to take his 1 year deal to raise his stock back up to par so he can sign a nice contract to ride out his career. He has earned his raise, and unless Calgary decides to tear the team apart and move Iginla, we need Tanguay to play alongside of him.
Flame Fans beg and plead for a top line talent to play with Iginla, then when they recieve a 60 point playmaking winger who has put Iggy back into the top 10 in points on the season, they dont think he is worth 3-3.5 million.
Richards is a bad comparable since he's one of the best two-way players in the game, ~5 years younger, is a center, and is their team captain. I'm unsure about Krejci as well given that he again is a centerman, which is a more valuable position. Clowe is also a questionable one since he plays a very different style of game. I can't argue with Justin Williams though, and I'd rather have Tanguay rather than Williams since he averages like 30-40 more games per season. Viewed in that light, 3.5 for Tanguay really is a pretty credible figure.

I suppose people are adjusting his price down on the assumption that he takes a hometown discount, which isn't necessarily a fait accompli.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote