HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly -- Tasmanian Gerbe!

Old
03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
If sacrificing chickens was good luck, I think Buffalo's sports history might be a little less depressing.

All those wings have to come from somewhere.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Let's also note that the GDT wasn't fancy.

I'm telling you people, simple GDTs work.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

Agree, but some people like being artful and creative so ...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
how in the world did we get the edge in power plays in Montreal?
Just like the moon was at its closest point to the earth in 18 years, they got out of Montreal without a 5-on-3 against.

03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
boots electric

Add to the good: Carolina's remaining schedule. 7 of 9 games against (current) playoff teams. Tampax3, Washington, Montreal, Detroit, and the big one against Buffalo on April 3rd. It's no guarantee the Canes will stumble in the coming weeks, but for a team that will likely need 12 out of 18 points to challenge for 8th, they've sure got a tough road ahead of them from here on out.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:55 PM
HogtownSabresfan

When does Ruff get his due for sticking with Gerbe. He stunk in the first half and Lindy never gave up. Gerbe gets credit for his play but you gotta give the coach a little something here.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
FuriousSenator

Amazing road game, one of the best 2-0 games I've watched in a while.

Surprised noones mentioned Vanek's incredibly apparent frustration. You have to feel for the guy but I agreed with some comments about how it has started to show in his game. The penalty where he supposedly interfered with Price was a weak call in my opinion but quite a few times I saw him shrug his shoulders and throw his arms up in the air in anger when the puck slipped away or was just out of reach.

As a guy who plays a lot of hockey, I've been there and know it's frustrating but every game is a new game and if he wants the "C" he should focus on that aspect and that aspect alone.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Amazing road game, one of the best 2-0 games I've watched in a while.

Surprised noones mentioned Vanek's incredibly apparent frustration. You have to feel for the guy but I agreed with some comments about how it has started to show in his game. The penalty where he supposedly interfered with Price was a weak call in my opinion but quite a few times I saw him shrug his shoulders and throw his arms up in the air in anger when the puck slipped away or was just out of reach.

As a guy who plays a lot of hockey, I've been there and know it's frustrating but every game is a new game and if he wants the "C" he should focus on that aspect and that aspect alone.
I know that Vanek has to put the puck in the net, but he's also playing the best defense he has ever played, backchecking like his life depended on it. His tenacity on the forecheck is creating chances (and his assist total over the past 15-20 games is proof of this). His overall game is so much improved from when he broke into the league and even if he's frustrated over his not scoring, he's still not giving up on any play. And you want your leaders playing that way. It's why guys like Goose and Hecht wear letters even when they don't score as much.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
SwordsgoneWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
If sacrificing chickens was good luck, I think Buffalo's sports history might be a little less depressing.

All those wings have to come from somewhere.
Then I am about to turn it around

Heres to more sunshine and Happy thoughts around here (until our next collapse that is )

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
wheatkingsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Add to the good: Carolina's remaining schedule. 7 of 9 games against (current) playoff teams. Tampax3, Washington, Montreal, Detroit, and the big one against Buffalo on April 3rd. It's no guarantee the Canes will stumble in the coming weeks, but for a team that will likely need 12 out of 18 points to challenge for 8th, they've sure got a tough road ahead of them from here on out.
Take a look at Tampa's record in the last 10, and the 3 games Carolina has left against them aren't as good as it might seem at first glance.

wheatkingsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
I know that Vanek has to put the puck in the net, but he's also playing the best defense he has ever played, backchecking like his life depended on it. His tenacity on the forecheck is creating chances (and his assist total over the past 15-20 games is proof of this). His overall game is so much improved from when he broke into the league and even if he's frustrated over his not scoring, he's still not giving up on any play. And you want your leaders playing that way. It's why guys like Goose and Hecht wear letters even when they don't score as much.
Not saying Vanek hasn't been putting forward effort, he has and in my opinion he should finish his career with the Sabres if he comes into every season this way but it's the frustration aspect which can negatively impact not only the players on the ice but also on the bench.
He doesn't really need goals if he is working this hard game in and game out, so why pressure yourself? That's when you grip the stick and can't finish chances imo.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
SwordsgoneWild

Quote:

Yep , I am going to stick with that same theme come Friday when i make one for our game vs the Cats

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Bad:

Habs fans.
Someone on hf mentioned it recently and it has bugged me since- as soon as a Habs player gets hit, the fans cheer, wait for the referee to raise his arm, then boo when a penalty is not called. It's completely backwards from everywhere else and annoying as hell.

Great game.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:25 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
This.

Good
Gerbe's all around game.
Miller playing strong.
Sekera and Myers bouncing back well.
The Gaustad - Gerbe - Mancari line being really really good.
Vanek being an asset even when he isn't scoring. Was a force on the backcheck tonight.

Bad
I get less and less impressed with Pominville every game. The past two games he's gotten hit with passes while he skated around oblivious.

Ugly
Marc Joanette.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Someone on hf mentioned it recently and it has bugged me since- as soon as a Habs player gets hit, the fans cheer, wait for the referee to raise his arm, then boo when a penalty is not called. It's completely backwards from everywhere else and annoying as hell.

Great game.
It's kind of an amazing phenomenon when you think about it. Crowd mentality is fascinating.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
My favorite one tonight was during the second period, when McCormick's line sustained pressure and a continous cycle for about a full minute. The Sabres comleted a linechange as the Habs finally got posession and the puck out of their zone. A gassed Montreal player is skating it to the red line for a 3 on 3 (we had 3 back due to the long change) rush as the crowd buzzes like its a cleancut 3 on 1. The Hab player reaches the line and makes the obvious dump and change and the crowd groans.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
My favorite one tonight was during the second period, when McCormick's line sustained pressure and a continous cycle for about a full minute. The Sabres comleted a linechange as the Habs finally got posession and the puck out of their zone. A gassed Montreal player is skating it to the red line for a 3 on 3 (we had 3 back due to the long change) rush as the crowd buzzes like its a cleancut 3 on 1. The Hab player reaches the line and makes the obvious dump and change and the crowd groans.
That cracked me up, the Montreal puck carrier looked like he wasn't going to reach the red line without falling over and they thought some great offensive rush was coming.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Excellent game. Vanek played well in spite of not burying chances except for the woe is me attitude. He was outstanding on the backcheck on Gomez but I noticed in the 3rd that if he would have moved his feet instead of gliding and stretching out with the puck on a rebound, he would have gotten his shot off and changed the angle on Price...

Maybe Gerbe or Ennis would be willing to give him a lesson or 2?

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
SoFFacet

G
- Gerbe
- Miller
- Defense
- Price
- Breakout

B
- Everyone on the Habs except Price.
- That stupid drop pass at the blue line we use to try and enter the zone on the PP

U
- Montreal fans cheering when their player gets hit
- Montreal fans apparently blaming refs for loss

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Excellent game. Vanek played well in spite of not burying chances except for the woe is me attitude. He was outstanding on the backcheck on Gomez but I noticed in the 3rd that if he would have moved his feet instead of gliding and stretching out with the puck on a rebound, he would have gotten his shot off and changed the angle on Price...

Maybe Gerbe or Ennis would be willing to give him a lesson or 2?
It looked to me like he got banged up in the 2nd period. He took a hit at one point, went down and it took him awhile to get to the bench. After that hit he was quite a bit slower out there for the rest of the game.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
When does Ruff get his due for sticking with Gerbe. He stunk in the first half and Lindy never gave up. Gerbe gets credit for his play but you gotta give the coach a little something here.
He didn't stink, he just couldn't find his scoring touch. I for one was very vocal about Gerbe finding his scoring touch sooner rather than later if he stuck with it, and he did just that.

I ****ing love that kid

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:45 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I think it was more injuries forcing Ruff to play him than anything else.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
blackOnion
Why eat eggplant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
The Excellent: We can go night without the inevitable war over wether that goal proved Miller sucks or wether he had no chance on it.
but he had some soft saves, right?

blackOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:56 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland_hockey_fan View Post
but he had some soft saves, right?
Softest. Shutout. Ever.

</comicbookguy>

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
He didn't stink, he just couldn't find his scoring touch. I for one was very vocal about Gerbe finding his scoring touch sooner rather than later if he stuck with it, and he did just that.

I ****ing love that kid
There were tons of people demanding start watching games from the stands. It wasn't just injuries either, as the other poster said. I'm not an apologist for Lindy in anyway. He just deserves to get some credit on this one.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote